“joiner’s Not Welcome” – How Does One Know?

GuestHouse

It would seem the word is out, that some hotels and guesthouses are ‘Joiner Friendly’ while others are not.

For some establishments being ‘Joiner Friendly’ is their bread and butter, at the other end of the ‘spectrum’ the presence of ‘Joiners’ might damage the reputation and business (establishments catering to families spring to mind).

How does one know if an establishment is ‘Joiner Friendly’ or not – What signs give away that a place is ‘Joiner Friendly’, what signs give away that a place is not ‘Joiner Friendly’?

And putting aside arguments on the rights and wrongs of excluding ‘Joiners’ if you where running an establishment that you decided could do better without the ‘Joiner Trade’ how would you get the message across that ‘Joiner’s are not Welcome’?

Let us say this was a business run from your own home – I doubt anyone disagrees that whom one choose to allow into one’s own home is entirely an individual’s own choice that ought not to be governed by any externally imposed Political Correctness.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would seem the word is out, that some hotels and guesthouses are ‘Joiner Friendly’ while others are not.

For some establishments being ‘Joiner Friendly’ is their bread and butter, at the other end of the ‘spectrum’ the presence of ‘Joiners’ might damage the reputation and business (establishments catering to families spring to mind).

How does one know if an establishment is ‘Joiner Friendly’ or not – What signs give away that a place is ‘Joiner Friendly’, what signs give away that a place is not ‘Joiner Friendly’?

And putting aside arguments on the rights and wrongs of excluding ‘Joiners’ if you where running an establishment that you decided could do better without the ‘Joiner Trade’ how would you get the message across that ‘Joiner’s are not Welcome’?

Let us say this was a business run from your own home – I doubt anyone disagrees that whom one choose to allow into one’s own home is entirely an individual’s own choice that ought not to be governed by any externally imposed Political Correctness.

In Saudi mate, you can't even be seen with a member of the opposite sex that isnt' your wife so I guess joining isn't a problem for you :D . :o

What is a 'joiner' ?? :o

Additional person or persons who come to stay, usually overnight, with you in your hotel room.

Need a diagram? :D

Once you pay the joiner fee, they become 'registered guests'.

Edited by phaethon

Additional person or persons who come to stay, usually overnight, with you in your hotel room.

Need a diagram? :D

Ah cheers. I seem to be getting more naive the older I get.

Diagram not necessary thanks, although you could draw one up for us anyway :D .

I think the easiest way is to ask the Hotel. Send a email or if you are a walkin, ask at the Reception. If they don't ask for a fee, you are where you want to be, if they ask for a low fee, it's ok but they don't realy want your business, if they ask for a high fee they don't want you, but if you can afford to pay the asking price, it's ok.

I just don't know how you can tell who is a 'joiner' and who is not. On Friday I saw a fat middle aged hiso woman publicly denounce a younger Thai girl as a prostitute because she was dressed sexy and accompanying a farang. Probably a lot of people would have thought the same, but actually it was his wife and from the polite tongue lashing she dished out (in English!) it was pretty obvious she was nothing of the sort.

Rather than try to judge I suggest you simply require bookings in advance - no walk ins.

/ Carpenter/Joiner i beleive,although why they would single out this profession is a little odd to say the least :D

Baffles me too, m8. I know a couple of joiners, one of whom is also a cabinet maker, and they can usually pay their own way?? :D There seems to be a groundswell of public opinion against manual (blue collar) workers especially in the UK, for example. The only "workshops" mentioned these days are for single-parent-black-lesbian types, who have virtually no knowledge of joinery or even light engineering!!!

Seems anyone who really works for a living is going to get it in the neck. - I even heard a rumour that they are going to start arresting people for having sexual relations with miners. :D

And putting aside arguments on the rights and wrongs of excluding 'Joiners' if you where running an establishment that you decided could do better without the 'Joiner Trade' how would you get the message across that 'Joiner's are not Welcome'?

I just don't know how you can tell who is a 'joiner' and who is not. On Friday I saw a fat middle aged hiso woman publicly denounce a younger Thai girl as a prostitute because she was dressed sexy and accompanying a farang. Probably a lot of people would have thought the same, but actually it was his wife and from the polite tongue lashing she dished out (in English!) it was pretty obvious she was nothing of the sort.

Rather than try to judge I suggest you simply require bookings in advance - no walk ins.

nice story - i doubt its true

/ Carpenter/Joiner i beleive,although why they would single out this profession is a little odd to say the least :D

Baffles me too, m8. I know a couple of joiners, one of whom is also a cabinet maker, and they can usually pay their own way?? :D There seems to be a groundswell of public opinion against manual (blue collar) workers especially in the UK, for example. The only "workshops" mentioned these days are for single-parent-black-lesbian types, who have virtually no knowledge of joinery or even light engineering!!!

Seems anyone who really works for a living is going to get it in the neck. - I even heard a rumour that they are going to start arresting people for having sexual relations with miners. :D

Sounds like plane discrimination to me. :D

Just practically speaking, it's been suggested that 'Joiners' may not be welcome in guesthouses/hotels who are attempting to cater to a more 'family' oriented clientele. If 'Joiners', as has also been suggested, aren't in any way, 'objectionable' insofar as they might cause offence/arouse distaste, why do you think that is?

On Friday I saw a fat middle aged hiso woman publicly denounce a younger Thai girl as a prostitute because she was dressed sexy and accompanying a farang. Probably a lot of people would have thought the same, but actually it was his wife, and from the polite tongue lashing she dished out (in English!) it was pretty obvious she was nothing of the sort.

This must be one of the most saddest posts ever.

When she lashed out in an English polite tounge lashing, why was it obvious she wasn't a Bargirl with a Farang ?

If she had lashed out in Lao. would that have cemented her fate as a bargirl in your eyes ?

Very strange, very odd,. very unbelievable.

You really do need to travel more

Once I saw a sign saying "no Thai people" pasted on the door leading to the staircase in a Bangkok guesthouse. Obviously this sign was directed at would be joiners. It left me wondering how reactions would be at a sign saying "no British people allowed" in a London guesthouse.

On Friday I saw a fat middle aged hiso woman publicly denounce a younger Thai girl as a prostitute because she was dressed sexy and accompanying a farang. Probably a lot of people would have thought the same, but actually it was his wife, and from the polite tongue lashing she dished out (in English!) it was pretty obvious she was nothing of the sort.

This must be one of the most saddest posts ever.

When she lashed out in an English polite tounge lashing, why was it obvious she wasn't a Bargirl with a Farang ?

If she had lashed out in Lao. would that have cemented her fate as a bargirl in your eyes ?

Very strange, very odd,. very unbelievable.

You really do need to travel more

if man was twice as big as girl and twice her age she proolly was a girl of the bar :o:D:D:D:D

It would seem the word is out, that some hotels and guesthouses are 'Joiner Friendly' while others are not.

If you initially book a 'Single", or 'Double" Room, often the room is exactly the same, the higher tariff taking into account the charge for the second person.

The so called Joiner Fee is often just an upgrade from the Single Room rate to a Double Room rate.

Also, it's my understanding that hotels, motels and guest houses are required by law to keep a record of who is staying in their establishments. If your guests name wasn't part of the initial booking, legally there is a requirement to sign them in. Some places may not observe this.

If you're gregarious and socia,l and wish to cater for an unexpected overnight guest, then the only way to ensure your needs are catered for is to send an e-mail to your intended hotel, asking them to explain their policy. :o

The logical thing to do is contact the hotel beforehand. Whilst in some hotels, 'joiners may not be welcome', in reality, there are very few where they are actually forbidden. Many of the big chain hotels directory will state that guests are strictly not allowed in the rooms. The solution? You pay for an 'in room meeting' when you arrive with your 'client'.

The problems faced by those wishing to have 'joiners' in Thailand are trivial. To put it in perspective, whilst slightly off topic, I just thought I'd share this with you, it's from trip advisor's Egypt forum:

'Egypt forums: Possible problems? Egyptian man&UK girl want to visit Cyprus'

'My male Egyptian friend and I are thinking of taking a holiday in Cyprus, Turkey or Greece. He lives in Egypt, I live in the UK.

We wanted to spend some time alone together in Egypt but this is proving too difficult to arrange as it seems to be against their laws as we're not married. So we thought we could visit another country and have a more relaxed atmosphere to enjoy eachothers company in.

Firstly, is it easy for an Egyptian to get a visa for Cyprus, Turkey or Greece and if so how does he do this and how much would it cost? Would any other countries prove easier?

Secondly, am I right in assuming that there would be no reason why we couldn't share a hotel room or apartment in these countries if we're not married? Is it only Egypt that we can't do this in?

Thanks.'

Can you imagine the replies she'd get from some of the members on here?

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

Once I saw a sign saying "no Thai people" pasted on the door leading to the staircase in a Bangkok guesthouse. Obviously this sign was directed at would be joiners. It left me wondering how reactions would be at a sign saying "no British people allowed" in a London guesthouse.

Several places (hotels AND bars/restaurants) in Khao San Road do not welcome Thai females. They do not care if the lady is married or not. They just deny them entry.