Crossy :-) Using 110v stepdown transformer for a Japan import 100v AC guitar amplifier

Kenny202

Got a 100vac amp I got from Japan. Very easy to buy a 110v step down transformer but not so easy to find 100vac. What do you think Crossy? Would 110v be ok / not damage the electronics? Our power supply here is so variable anyway. The amp is 60w and the power supply is 100w so that's covered. Appreciate the help ????

10% over-voltage will likely be fine, but I'd try to find a pukka 100V transformer. IIRC the Japanese department store in Bangkok used to sell them (is it still even there??).

BUT

If it specifies 100V 60Hz rather than 50/60Hz I'd be wary of running it on 110V 50Hz.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Crossy, it does say 50/60hz. I will give it a whirl. Pretty sure I have used them before. It is nearly impossible to find 100vac step downs here at any price and the rare few are too pricey or actually questionable if actually 100v and not 110v

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks Crossy, it does say 50/60hz. I will give it a whirl. Pretty sure I have used them before. It is nearly impossible to find 100vac step downs here at any price and the rare few are too pricey or actually questionable if actually 100v and not 110v

Japan uses both 50hz and 60hz (depending on where in the country) so anything for domestic use should be able to cope.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Japan uses both 50hz and 60hz (depending on where in the country) so anything for domestic use should be able to cope.  

Having lived in japan for almost 30 years that statement is wishful thinking and from personal knowledge is not correct. there are many, though not the majority of, items that are region specific so you definitely need to check the information on the items to be sure.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Having lived in japan for almost 30 years that statement is wishful thinking and from personal knowledge is not correct. there are many, though not the majority of, items that are region specific so you definitely need to check the information on the items to be sure.

I only lived there about a 1/10th of that time but found it true for things I bought - but as it is cheaper to go 60hz (as most exported to US were) expect may be true.  My time was early 60's and before export market was at its peak.

I actually picked a little 100w Hitachi 220/100v transformer up off Lazada 300 baht. Damn hard to find with Lazada's crappy search but got there in the end. I did talk to my guitar amp technician....he did actually say 110 volt would be no problem at all and that guy knows his shet ????  

• Like 1