How Many Precepts Do You Currently Follow?

rockyysdt

I was interested in the concept of adopting precepts or basic rules designed to minimise the addition of new mental burdens.

I've heard some advanced monks observe 227 precepts.

I need to work on this as my precepts are currently quite minimal.

Not kill

Not steal.

Not lie.

Unfortunately, at this stage I can't say I don't refrain from drinking intoxicants (very minimal) nor refrain from sex. My bed is higher than six inches, and I also occasionally wear a cologne, and eat solids after midday.

Are there any easy precepts I can add to my list?

Do others observe the practice of precepts?

Edited by rockyysdt

I think you're getting different sets of precepts mixed up here. All monks are supposed to keep the 227 precepts of the Vinaya.

There are 5 precepts for lay persons. To refrain from:

1. Deliberately causing the death of any living being;

2. Intentionally taking for one's own the property of another;

3. Sexual misconduct, in particular adultery;

4. Lying and breaking promises;

5. Drinking alcohol or taking stupefying drugs which lead to lack of mindfulness.

And an additional 3 precepts observed by laypeople during periods of intensive meditation practice and during uposatha (lunar observance) days. In this case the third precept is extended to prohibit all sexual activity.

6. I undertake the precept to refrain from eating at the forbidden time (i.e., after noon).

7. I undertake the precept to refrain from dancing, singing, music, going to see entertainments, wearing garlands, using perfumes, and beautifying the body with cosmetics.

8. I undertake the precept to refrain from lying on a high or luxurious sleeping place.

I try to keep the standard 5 precepts, but I extend No. 4 to be everything covered by Right Speech. I also lean towards a mainly vegetarian diet.

3. Sexual misconduct, in particular adultery;

And an additional 3 precepts observed by laypeople during periods of intensive meditation practice and during uposatha (lunar observance) days. In this case the third precept is extended to prohibit all sexual activity.

During non intensive periods of life, does "sexual misconduct and adultery", align with mans law?

For example, is it still considered misconduct when all parties involved are aware and open about such activity (open marriages)?

Further, is it considered misconduct for single adults to be sexually involved out of wedlock, provided all are comfortable and no one is being mislead or lied to?

Edited by rockyysdt

I think we've already covered the third precept in this thread. The gist of it is that it's "misconduct" when there's a risk of harming someone. Outside a committed monogamous relationship there's an obvious risk of pregnancy and STDs, not to mention legal action in cases of adultery. I don't think it matters if the relationship is out of wedlock as long as there is a commitment.

I think we've already covered the third precept in this thread. The gist of it is that it's "misconduct" when there's a risk of harming someone. Outside a committed monogamous relationship there's an obvious risk of pregnancy and STDs, not to mention legal action in cases of adultery. I don't think it matters if the relationship is out of wedlock as long as there is a commitment.

Thanks camerata.

That thread and your comments certainly covered it.

I'll have to work on my memory.

It's possible you already adhere to a number of these. I did once read the patimokkha (sp?) and it includes such precepts as 'not tickling another monk' and 'not hiding another monk's foodbowl for amusement'. A monk has told me there is one concerning not jumping in puddles, but I don't remember reading that one.

And there's a lot concerning how you should...confess/atone if the precepts are transgressed. Eg: if you kill, you're out of the monkhood. But if you entertain a dirty thought, you just need to tell the abbot within 7 days. (From memory - accuracy is not guaranteed)

And there's a lot concerning how you should...confess/atone if the precepts are transgressed. Eg: if you entertain a dirty thought, you just need to tell the abbot within 7 days. (From memory - accuracy is not guaranteed)

If the monks adhered to this one, the abbot would probably have no time left to do anything else.

I have found the five lay precepts to be open to a wide range of interpretation.

I was told no intoxicants defined as anything that alters one's mental state, including tobacco and caffeine as well as alcohol and drugs.

Sexual misconduct was even more varied. One teaching included no sex with a woman having her period, pregnant or lactating; no sex on the full moon or other "sacred" days; no oral sex or anal sex; and even that not paying a prostitute after using her services was also serious sexual misconduct as well as being stealing and lying.

Stealing was defined as keeping anything that was not expressly offered to you by its owner, so finding something and keeping it would also be stealing.

Lying would include not offering a truthful response to any conversation, communication, question or statement; exaggeration, embellishment or even silence, if an answer is requested. The only exception would be if answering truthfully would lead to a death.

I was interested in the concept of adopting precepts or basic rules designed to minimise the addition of new mental burdens.

I need to work on this as my precepts are currently quite minimal.

Not kill

Not steal.

Not lie.

Unfortunately, at this stage I can't say I don't refrain from drinking intoxicants (very minimal) nor refrain from sex. My bed is higher than six inches, and I also occasionally wear a cologne, and eat solids after midday.

Are there any easy precepts I can add to my list?

Do others observe the practice of precepts?

refraining from sexual MISCONDUCT is the point

refraining from sexual MISCONDUCT is the point

Trouble is, as there are usually two or more parties involved, you can never tell if any outwardly innocent sexual interaction ends up hurting someone, hence misconduct.

I think that's why advanced serious practitioners eventually abstain!