Gold At 12500 Baht

• 2 months later...

Thaught i would bump this post to ask my question.

Where can i find Thai gold price, current and history?

If im buying 1 baht bars should i be paying exact current price or + what?

will the price vary between shops or is it fixed?

can anyone give any advice, looking to buy in pattaya.

Thanks

Edited by kevkev1888

As a side not that goldprice.org is a good site.

I use it everyday. If you click the gold chart in the upper left it opens a java chart below.

In that chart you can do trend lines etc,

Also click instruments & see others like silver spot , EUR/USD etc.

nice deal for free & fast.

PS: for what ever reason the dollar index never worked there :o

Maybe the FED disallowed it.............. :D :D

Edited by flying

back to $780 now. it will jump to $1,000 before the year is out, allowing somebody to make 20% in <3 months

which year? :o

It is not out of the question...............Will it matter to me? not much :D

Year after year -- This may shock you. What item has closed higher every year since 2000?

Here are the gold closings for the following years --

2000 -- $273.60

2001 -- $279.00

2002 -- $348.20

2003 -- $416.10

2004 -- $438.40

2005 -- $518.90

2006 -- $638.00

2007 -- $838.00

2008 -- ?

As a side not that goldprice.org is a good site.

I use it everyday. If you click the gold chart in the upper left it opens a java chart below.

In that chart you can do trend lines etc,

Also click instruments & see others like silver spot , EUR/USD etc.

nice deal for free & fast.

PS: for what ever reason the dollar index never worked there :o

Maybe the FED disallowed it.............. :D:D

Here you are:

post-25601-1229802708_thumb.png

Thaught i would bump this post to ask my question.

Where can i find Thai gold price, current and history?

If im buying 1 baht bars should i be paying exact current price or + what?

will the price vary between shops or is it fixed?

can anyone give any advice, looking to buy in pattaya.

Thanks

I too would like to buy some gold in Pattaya but all the shops I've tried down South Pattaya Road don't sell bars; only jewelry, and there seems to be a really big buying/selling spread on that.

but gold has always been historically stable, unlike oil......

but i am sure it was around 14500 only a few months ago.....

if you looking to invest, you best bet is to keep a very close eye, thus when the fall stops it can only go up, and when it starts to go up BUY, and again, when it starts to drop again SELL :o

very easy trading...

Yikes!!!

I'll try not to be lazy and hunt down the chart, but didn't the $800/oz spike during the '70's crisis drop back rather sharpish . . . like -30% in a day or so?

back to $780 now. it will jump to $1,000 before the year is out, allowing somebody to make 20% in <3 months

Year after year -- This may shock you. What item has closed higher every year since 2000?

it neither shocks nor does it impress me Flying as investing and trading emerging market bonds (mainly but not limited to denominations in €UR) were a much better choice than gold in USD.

let me add a personal thought. a big problem with the majority of investors posting in Thaivisa is that they focus on their "home currency", are inflexible and negate the opportunities a globalised world provides when making their decisions. the Americans, Brits, Aussies and Kiwis learned a hard lesson. and that lesson might might even be taught to inflexible "€URopeans" who weathered the storm... until now :D

it neither shocks nor does it impress me Flying as investing and trading emerging market bonds (mainly but not limited to denominations in €UR) were a much better choice than gold in USD.

let me add a personal thought. a big problem with the majority of investors posting in Thaivisa is that they focus on their "home currency", are inflexible and negate the opportunities a globalised world provides when making their decisions. the Americans, Brits, Aussies and Kiwis learned a hard lesson. and that lesson might might even be taught to inflexible "€URopeans" who weathered the storm... until now :D

Now you're talking. In truth, expatriots with assets overseas are no different than multinational corporations in miniature. They can not be complacent (I include myself of course) about currencies and markets. Most of us have made a lot of money in our lives working a lot less hard than most of the worlds population. Now we're trying to get returns on our windfall, mostly while sitting on our collective asses. I think those days are over (for now anyway) and actions will need to be taken. I'm not suggesting what those actions should be.

I see gold at 580 in the very near future( 3 months) ,,,,, there is a current run on all gold coins around the world and too many people bullish at the moment,,,,, hence,,,,,,do not follow the herd,,,,,,however with that said,,,, i see gold going to around 1500-2000 with in 12-18 months,,,

I see gold at 580 in the very near future( 3 months) ,,,,, there is a current run on all gold coins around the world and too many people bullish at the moment,,,,, hence,,,,,,do not follow the herd,,,,,,however with that said,,,, i see gold going to around 1500-2000 with in 12-18 months,,,

do you see this week's lotto numbers too? :o

I too would like to buy some gold in Pattaya but all the shops I've tried down South Pattaya Road don't sell bars; only jewelry, and there seems to be a really big buying/selling spread on that.

I went into Aurora inside big c south pattaya rd today, they had the 1 baht bars there you pay whatever the gold price plus 250baht per bar.

I didnt notice how big the buy sell spread but guess its the same as they use for jewelery?

today was quoted 13650 + 250 = 13900

so for 10 139000 but if you wana pay by ccard +3% another 4000 baht

at todays GBP exchange rate about 51.5 £2775

i didnt buy just cant make myself take current exchange rates

will i live to regret maybe?

Is there a better way to buy gold?

Now you're talking. In truth, expatriots with assets overseas are no different than multinational corporations in miniature. They can not be complacent (I include myself of course) about currencies and markets. Most of us have made a lot of money in our lives working a lot less hard than most of the worlds population. Now we're trying to get returns on our windfall, mostly while sitting on our collective asses. I think those days are over (for now anyway) and actions will need to be taken. I'm not suggesting what those actions should be.

and neither do i LRB. required is absolute flexibility and (if need be) a complete change of strategy. after having been invested for 2½ decades in bonds of sovereign debtors which paid fancy yields the good days were over in 2004 and i switched to corporate debtors. then end of 2006 (sitting on a comfortable cushion of wealth) my plan was to reduce risk to a minimum and to be in 100% cash by 2011-12.

i started accumulating cash, diversifying in different currencies, which -at that time- had satisfactory yields. a year later i had to worry about the safety of my cash and i had to switch it into short term Bunds and UST in order to avoid sleepless nights. taking out a part of that cash again based on the government guarantees for depositors i am now facing interest rates which do not even cover inflation. of course i could take it easy, being age 65 and the Mrs 58, having no deserving heirs and think "fàck all yields, the dough we have outlasts without any yield our natural lives!"

but then... where's the fun? :D

do you see this week's lotto numbers too? :o

No i dont,,,, I have been a gold trader for 7 years and only wanted to throw in my 2cents :D ,,,, is that ok with you MR NAAM?

I've heard a few similar predictions of a fall to $600 from gold bulls (not goldbugs) and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why you think this might occur. Not that I intend to sell off my stash in anticipation of such a pullback in the price.

do you see this week's lotto numbers too? :D

No i dont,,,, I have been a gold trader for 7 years and only wanted to throw in my 2cents :D ,,,, is that ok with you MR NAAM?

that you have been a goldtrader for 7 years is very much ok with me and i wish you success. what is not ok is you "seeing" a gold price of $1-1,500 within 12-18 months. postings without underlying reasoning like yours can be found galore on Thaivisa. not only as far as gold is concerned but also on currencies or on any other assets.

but when the "prophecies" do not become reality the posters just disappear. 10 months ago some of the local TV-goldbugs predicted $ 1,500/ounce for spring 2009 "for sure". i haven't heard from them since last summer :o

p.s. i have been a (rather successful) bondtrader for about 30 years but i wouldn't dare to predict how the credit markets will behave two weeks from today, not to talk about 2010 or 2011 :D

I've heard a few similar predictions of a fall to $600 from gold bulls (not goldbugs) and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why you think this might occur. Not that I intend to sell off my stash in anticipation of such a pullback in the price.

Hardened soul, It sounds like JJ is taking the contrarian view, a view that is likely correct this time because there are also fundemental reasons that gold will drop early on in the new year. First of all we have deflationary pressures all over the world that will not relent anytime soon and Oil will continue to slide early on in the new year as demand weakens further. Then there will be interest rate cuts by the ECB, BOE and Aussie central Bank, and the BOJ has expressed that they want the Dollar north of the 100 Yen mark so there will be some sort of intervention or revaluation of the Yen as well, this all adds up to a further strenghtening of the U.S. Dollar and a slide in the POG! When you throw more hedge fund redemtions into the mix in Q1 marnify this situation. If you are a goldbug then this will be a good opportunity to load up on your shiny stuff, as for me it will be a good chance to first short some miners and then cover and buy them on the cheap for a dead cat bounce.

Hardened soul, It sounds like JJ is taking the contrarian view, a view that is likely correct this time because there are also fundemental reasons that gold will drop early on in the new year. First of all we have deflationary pressures all over the world that will not relent anytime soon and Oil will continue to slide early on in the new year as demand weakens further. Then there will be interest rate cuts by the ECB, BOE and Aussie central Bank, and the BOJ has expressed that they want the Dollar north of the 100 Yen mark so there will be some sort of intervention or revaluation of the Yen as well, this all adds up to a further strenghtening of the U.S. Dollar and a slide in the POG! When you throw more hedge fund redemtions into the mix in Q1 marnify this situation. If you are a goldbug then this will be a good opportunity to load up on your shiny stuff, as for me it will be a good chance to first short some miners and then cover and buy them on the cheap for a dead cat bounce.

Not to be a contrarian but............ :o

Back in Sept/Oct everyone told me to wait for the 600's

I waited till Oct 22nd & went ahead at the 730 range.

Now still everyone talking about a drop

Just so happens remember I posted back on Wed this week that I wanted to increase this Friday (today)

Well the coins are there but as luck would have it a spike up today.......again!

Hmmmm So I am holding off but.............. If it closes today over 870 I think I will have made a big mistake & we will see a run for another nice close of another +++ year for gold.

Just so happens remember I posted back on Wed this week that I wanted to increase this Friday (today)

Well the coins are there but as luck would have it a spike up today.......again!

Hmmmm So I am holding off but.............. If it closes today over 870 I think I will have made a big mistake & we will see a run for another nice close of another +++ year for gold.

http://www.kitco.com/charts/popup/au24hr3day.html floating around 870 now and was 873 a bit ago

Here are the gold closings for the following years --

2000 -- $273.60

2001 -- $279.00

2002 -- $348.20

2003 -- $416.10

2004 -- $438.40

2005 -- $518.90

2006 -- $638.00

2007 -- $838.00

2008 -- ?

On a much larger time scale Gold has in long periods been falling a lot in price, especially when adjusted for inflation.

post-67623-1230348615_thumb.png

On a much larger time scale Gold has in long periods been falling a lot in price, especially when adjusted for inflation.

leasing rates apart that is the only way to judge gold as it has no positive yield except if the price goes up. but taking inflation into consideration has been always negated by goldbugs :o anyway, let them be happy. after all who of us has no wet dreams once in a while? :D

Ok that's fair enough to a point but does this not depend on one's definition of deflation ? IIRC, deflation is a contraction of the money supply but aren't we witnessing a contraction of the supply of credit ? As far as I can tell, the balance sheets of the Fed, the BoE and the ECB are expanding, not contracting. The deflation we all seem to be running scared from is nothing more than asset price deflation - real estate, equities etc. This is wealth destruction but it is not deflation. I'm back in Blighty at the mo and the price of everything bar petrol seems to be going up including groceries and utilities. Sure, electronics seem to be coming down but that's more to do with heavy discounting to tempt people into the shops than any decline in the actual cost of getting the goods to the consumer.

I'd agree with you if there were evidence to support the existence of deflation in its real guise but there isn't.

888.7 now