Where To Do A New Iphone

tweezer

Hi All,

I got a brand new iPhone from the US... 3G 16GB. It came with a service package (it was a gift.) Thing is, I don't live in the U.S.

I use AIS... where can I take my iPhone to have it customized :o so that i can use it with my AIS sim card??

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

--T.

Hi All,

I got a brand new iPhone from the US... 3G 16GB. It came with a service package (it was a gift.) Thing is, I don't live in the U.S.

I use AIS... where can I take my iPhone to have it customized :o so that i can use it with my AIS sim card??

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

--T.

if you are in Bangkok try MBK, 4th floor

Thanks for the replies.

Can anybody briefly explain Turbosim? What does that do / how does it work? If I take my 3G to MBK, will they be able to hook me up?

Note.. I'll be wary of anyone claiming there is a software unlock...

Thanks,

--T.

Also, How long would it take them to do the job at MBK? Is it a 'while you wait" operation?

Thx,

--T.

All iphones in US are locked. So you will need to get the sim adapter in bangkok. You will not be able to use 3G functions with the sim adapters. You may also experience loss of signal with most sim adapters after a while

If you wanna install 3rd party application, you will need to jailbreak the phone. If you just want to use the phone, makes calls and sms then you can just get a sim adapter and use it since it is already activated when you bought.

Good luck!

Edited by mmkin

Hi :o

How much are these TurboSim thingies in Bangkok? As i have just ordered one off E-Bay for 18 us$ inclusive shipping. It's not for an iPhone but for that stupid Blackberry that nobody can unlock except UK firms who charge anywhere between 50 to 100 Dollars for it - clearly more than the thing is worth. It can only be unlocked via code, no cable solution (it's a Blackberry 7130g, and yes, i had it in every shop in MBK).

What the TurboSIM does: It tells the phone "Yes, i am the one you are locked to" and then functions as a "translator" between the actual SIM and the phone. For the phone, you are a T-Mobile or Vodafone-customer roaming on AIS or whatever. For AIS you are an AIS customer with an unlocked phone. And for YOU you have a working phone.

Loss of signal will likely occur due to bad contact between TurboSim and phone or between TurboSIM and actual SIM. The thing is VERY flimsy and thin, after all it is inserted between the actual SIM and the phone, in order to still fit in there it's GOT to be flimsy and thin.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Thanks!!!

All I want to do is call, SMS, and stuff.... simple is fine. I shoud still be able to get WIFI, no?

Thanks for the advice...

--M.

yes, wifi will not be affected even if you do not have the sim adapter. you can use it like an ipod.

As long as you use a 2G sim card, there shouldnt be too much problem with the sim adapter. most problems happen when you use the adapter with a 3G simcard.

Done ...

I went to MBK 4th floor and got a Turbosim for 800 baht. That plus a piece of scotch tape and my 3G iPhone works just fine with my AIS sim card (granted, they had to punch a hole thru my AIS sim...) The phone works, I imported my contacts from Outlook and all those work, Wifi works, maps work when connected to Wifi.... so I'm happy. Pretty cool!

On my way out of MBK, I noticed a shop with a pile of turbosims in the display case... I asked 'how much,' he said, '1000 baht.'

Thanks all for your advice.

--T.