Tipping In Thailand (pattaya)

jumpstart

Ok, I'm not sure whether I should tip or not when it comes to hotel food, restaurants, etc. I just signed a bill, but noticed a %10 service charge so I assumed the tip was included; but I wasn't sure. So, I didn't tip. Am I wrong here? Thanks, Chris.

Well there Chris, 10% service charge in other terms is in fact a tip. Some people will ad a little extra to this if they feel like it.

You are not wrong not to tip, just don't pick up the loose baht coins / single 20 baht note in your change.

Ok, I'm not sure whether I should tip or not when it comes to hotel food, restaurants, etc. I just signed a bill, but noticed a %10 service charge so I assumed the tip was included; but I wasn't sure. So, I didn't tip. Am I wrong here? Thanks, Chris.

No, you're not wrong. If they say 10% service charge then that is the tip. Not just Thailand - anywhere. If you want to tip the waitress even though there is a service charge, feel free - but put it into her hand, otherwise it'll go into the tip "pool". She may be honour bound to put it into the pool anyway, but at least you've shown it was meant for her and not for the nice clean floor, cool air-con or good food, etc.

...just don't pick up the loose baht coins / single 20 baht note in your change.

He signed a hotel bill - no change.

In Pattaya, the maid always gets a tip.

A friendly, seeming genuine serviceer at a restaurant - if I go there on a regular basis - gets a tip.

Otherwise, no.

Only tourist from the US and countries that tip, leave tips in Thailand.

And they screw it up for the rest of us.

A friendly, seeming genuine serviceer at a restaurant - if I go there on a regular basis - gets a tip.

Otherwise, no.

Well the cats out of the bag and waiters in Pattaya now EXPECT tips. So if you don't tip at anything above a street stall or real Thai style open air, you are indeed a CHEAPSKATE. Sorry, but that is the way it is now. Blame it on us Americans if it pleases you. The thing with tipping is that you follow the local custom, and Thais expect European descent people, tourists or not, to tip in Pattaya. Don't like it? There always Carrefour. You don't (yet) have to tip like Americans do (15 to 20 percent of the bill) here, but you really should tip something. Exceptions are when the service is total crap, which is rather common here.

I am not talking about the places with automatic service charge. That's different.

Edited by Jingthing

When we go out to dinner, the gf handles the money. She is a low wage earning receptionist in a hotel. She refuses to stop working and knows the value of money. She tips according to what level the service has been like and I don't get the glowering looks from her when I used to tip (too much in her eyes)

Otherwise, no.

how do they screw it up?

If I stay an length of time in a hotel, the accumulated loose change gets left behind for the maid. If any special service has been provided like organising the laundry, getting hot water for the baby food or extra cleaning, she will get an extra 100 in her hand.

If eating at a restaurant that includes service charge, no tip unless the wait staff have been exceptionally good and courteous then the tip goes in their hand.

Anyplace else apart from the noodle shops, the loose change and/or a twenty baht note will be left.

Beer bars and places of that ilk, I round up the tab to the nearest 50 or 100 and leave it at that. If they ask for tip, it get's smaller, if they complain, they lose my custom.

Claiming that the US habit of tipping had somehow 'spoiled' things is bs. I came from Scotland where we are allegedly tighter than a ducks arse (and that is water-tight) first time in the 70's and tipping by Thais and farangs was the norm back then, once again leaving the loose change or a 10 baht note (remember them?).

No tips for taxis unless they have done a decent job avoiding traffic jams, have not scared the bejezus out of me and not offered me a girl/boy/massage, etc.

A friendly, seeming genuine serviceer at a restaurant - if I go there on a regular basis - gets a tip. Otherwise, no.

Only tourist from the US and countries that tip, leave tips in Thailand.And they screw it up for the rest of us.

how do they screw it up?

They didn't.

Often, "generous" tippers have worked very hard for their money, or come from humble means and remember what it was like to work a crap job for a crap wage. Many are just kind hearted and greatful for all that they have and think of others. Admirable character traits IMHO.

Sort of sad that anyone would object to friendly folks.

I'd rather tip the KFC, 7/11 assistant working for 28 baht an hour to buy his college books than some waiter in Pattaya.

Then do it. That is the beauty of tips you can give to whomever you want.

p.s. How much is the hourly wage for waiters in Pattaya?

A friendly, seeming genuine servicer at a restaurant - if I go there on a regular basis - gets a tip.

Otherwise, no.

how do they screw it up?

As an American, I'll step up and say my fellow countrypeople screw it up by

A. doing it automatically (regardless of whether its warranted), and

B. creating expectations among service workers.

When those expectations aren't realized, the waiter (or taxi driver, maid, etc) will feel slighted, possibly get angry, - which can lead to name calling and intentionally bad service next time you show up.

I have always believed in tipping when it's warranted, and I tip all sorts of service people that never get tips. But I abhor tipping automatically/mindlessly, - and worse, is the 10% added to bills in tourist-riven places like Pattaya. That added % is a deceptive rip off. The restaurant or hotel has published prices. To add an automatic 10% is flat wrong. If I fix your fence for an agreed upon price, and then when you're counting out the payment, I demand 10% more, you're not going to be happy with that. I avoid automatic tipping places and so should you, unless you like paying 10% more for things.

Edited by brahmburgers

I'd rather tip the KFC, 7/11 assistant working for 28 baht an hour to buy his college books than some waiter in Pattaya.

Good point neeranam,

I'm an American and I never had a job that required tips, even though I did service jobs in high school and college.

I understand the tipping concept in the US. There is very strong social pressure. I tip my hair stylist, waiters/waitresses, and cab drivers.

In a tourist resort area like Pattaya, I usually don't, although it's been a while since I've been there.

As a poster noted, tipping is expected now, even though it's not the 15-20%.

But I already pay more because I'm a foreingner. Even though at times I get a discount for "speaking Thai" with my limited Thai. :o

Tipping for mediocre or bad service should be punishable by law. That is definitely screwing things up. Automatic tipping shows mindlessness. Tip for good service, even if the food or establishment isn't up to scratch. It's not the waiters/maid etc's fault. And vice versa.

My Thai wife scrutinizes all the bins we get when out and about.

She does all the tipping,,,,,,and in most cases always leaves a tip for the service/wait staff.

I have to agree, Thai people do tip regularly in restaurants (not that often in food stalls); normally coin change is left behind, in extraordinary circumstances a 20 Baht note -- but then again I do not go often to restaurants where the bill is more then a few hundred Baht for 2 persons.

No tipping from me under any circumstances:

- service charge on the bill; even more nasty if the food was quoted in the menu without and it was hidden in the fine print

- wrong food arrived and excuses are lame at best (I do not mind errors if they are corrected gracefully and without attitude)

- being asked for a tip or the expectancy of one is clear by the waiters attitude

- in bars where I have been pestered to invite for drinks

No tipping from me under any circumstances:

- service charge on the bill; even more nasty if the food was quoted in the menu without and it was hidden in the fine print

- wrong food arrived and excuses are lame at best (I do not mind errors if they are corrected gracefully and without attitude)

- being asked for a tip or the expectancy of one is clear by the waiters attitude

- in bars where I have been pestered to invite for drinks

I agree entirely with the above. I know a friend who worked in a restaurant and the "norm" from Thais was 20 Baht.

As per earlier posts, it was not just Americans who screwed up (although I think they did it better :o ) I remember my first trip when I thought '200 Baht, it's only £3'. Now I have a similar approach to jts-khorat, rould-up for a 40 Baht-ish tip on a 500-700 Baht meal. Never pay more than 5%.

Here is a thought - as there is a quoted price for the meal and then the restaurant says there is a service charge, how about customers imposing a disservice charge for bad food, bad service.

there is a tradition of haggling in Thailand, maybe we should assume that the quoted price is an ambit claim and work our way down to a reasonable price.

an enforced gratuity is not a gratuity, it is part of the price of the meal - it is dishonest of restaurants demand a tip.

similarly, if a restaurant chooses not to pay its staff properly, i fail to see why i should top their wages

Otherwise, no.

My Thai wife ALWAYS give a small tip. If she was unhappy than just 5 or 10 Baht, else 50+ Baht. Not when the owner is cashing. Sometimes she is asking if they can keep it, if not than she gives the money separate.

A friendly, seeming genuine servicer at a restaurant - if I go there on a regular basis - gets a tip.

Otherwise, no.

how do they screw it up?

As an American, I'll step up and say my fellow countrypeople screw it up by

A. doing it automatically (regardless of whether its warranted), and

B. creating expectations among service workers.

When those expectations aren't realized, the waiter (or taxi driver, maid, etc) will feel slighted, possibly get angry, - which can lead to name calling and intentionally bad service next time you show up.

I have always believed in tipping when it's warranted, and I tip all sorts of service people that never get tips. But I abhor tipping automatically/mindlessly, - and worse, is the 10% added to bills in tourist-riven places like Pattaya. That added % is a deceptive rip off. The restaurant or hotel has published prices. To add an automatic 10% is flat wrong. If I fix your fence for an agreed upon price, and then when you're counting out the payment, I demand 10% more, you're not going to be happy with that. I avoid automatic tipping places and so should you, unless you like paying 10% more for things.

I agree, but the 10 % goes in the pocket of the owner and the service staff get punished for that (not getting a tip).

I try to avoid places with a 10 % surcharge. (Can't recall where it was: 10 % service and a 5 (or so) tax surcharge, reminds me on flight tickets. The Ticket is just 1 USD but you have to add: airport tax, fuel surcharge, safety surcharge and and and )

forgot to mention - anyone who asks for a tip doesnt get one. :D

Definitely,

And this would only happen in Pattaya.

Out of the whole of Thailand you would only be asked for a tip in Pattaya! Is that what your saying? :o

They didn't.

Often, "generous" tippers have worked very hard for their money, or come from humble means and remember what it was like to work a crap job for a crap wage. Many are just kind hearted and greatful for all that they have and think of others. Admirable character traits IMHO.

Sort of sad that anyone would object to friendly folks.

Agreed 100%! :D

Edited by davethailand

I never tip a single satang in any circumstances.

Let's admit it, tips get out of fear or vanity.They are both no good at all. Stop feeling fear and/or showing off , no more tips to anyone !

Sorry, can't agree with that. Wages in many businesses are geared to the receipt of tips. In extreme cases (not Thailand) an employee would pay a fee to work in a location that was known to tip generously.

I once posted about a student working in a Khon Kaen restaurant earning 18 Baht an hour. I tipped her 100 Baht without hesitation (service was good as well)

I never tip a single satang in any circumstances.

Let's admit it, tips get out of fear or vanity.They are both no good at all. Stop feeling fear and/or showing off , no more tips to anyone !

Sorry, can't agree with that. Wages in many businesses are geared to the receipt of tips. In extreme cases (not Thailand) an employee would pay a fee to work in a location that was known to tip generously.

I once posted about a student working in a Khon Kaen restaurant earning 18 Baht an hour. I tipped her 100 Baht without hesitation (service was good as well)

Not tipping is just impolite when service is good, the tip is not for your benefit but for the human being that gave you good service. Putting it down to vanity when tipping tells us rather too much about your own personality, edonista.

Tipping THb 100 when you know that this is a days wage is just as wrong, because now you belittle the effort this person has done into the job by de-valuing the work overall (even though in this particular instance the receiver of the tip might have been happy).

At least I feel personally, there is a very fine line between respecting an effort and overdoing it by giving (much) too much. The latter is what I would put under vanity or at least misplaced generosity; one reason why the better half is permitted to advise me at least in this one financial matter as she has a better perspective on how much is just right.

Yeah, I don't believe in undertipping OR overtipping. I don't like tipping and if I could snap my fingers, there would be no tipping anywhere, and no taxes either. But it is a fact of life, and in certain cultures and certain situations it is expected and factored into the (low) wages workers are paid. So if you don't tip them, they starve. I know personally of a full time waiter who lives in cheap room and in low season he needs to do extra odd cleaning jobs just to have money to eat (his restaurant doesn't feed him). So I know he expects tips with the type of customers his place gets, mostly tourists and expats. Now I also do not think we should overtip waiters unless they have done something amazing, and I can't think of what amazing thing a waiter can do. After all, they didn't cook your food. Now the cooks aren't usually rich either and we don't tip them, and they do have a more important job. Bad service can ruin your meal, but if the food is bad to begin with, even great service won't save it.