Advice On Types Of Visa(s)

I'm somewhat in transition at the moment so I have a couple of scenarios I would like to ask for advice on.

I am leaving my current employer and have a 3 month notice period on which I will most likely be put on gardening leave (still officially employed so as to keep me from working for a competitor but no requirement to work) during the 3 months. So I was thinking of spending that time in the LOS. I would like to stay in BKK and use that as a base to travel around Thailand and other parts of Asia (HK, Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc).

From my reading here it sounds like my best bet is to get a tourist visa for the first 60 days (I'm a US citizen) and then apply for an extension (30 days). Will I get any sort of hassle going into and out of Thailand multiple times during that 90 day period?

Also, do I run into any issues in regards to the 90 days in six months rule? In other words, if I wanted to come back in 2 months for a 3 week vacation will I have expired the 90 days?

Now, the second part has to do with what I do after the 90 days is up. I have a few offers back here in farangland but one possibility might be to get my current employer to keep me as a consultant. I also have had some offers to do freelance reporting (on a specific industry) and writing which along with some money generating websites I own would pretty much keep my earnings around what I'm making right now. So, I was thinking that it might make sense to set up an Amity company, get myself a work permit via the company, and funnel some of my earnings through that company to show it as a ongoing business.

I was quoted a price by a well-known services company in Thailand of about 93,000 baht for the setup which seems outlandish. Granted 10,000 of that is for a "virtual office" which they said I needed a physical presence in Thailand and the office would serve as the physical presence. Assuming my apartment would serve the same service that's still 83,000 baht. Does that figure sound high/low?

Also, if my plan is to eventually set up such a company and I know this before I leave, might it be better to get a non immigrant visa rather than doing the tourist visa? Is that even possible?

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight that can be offered.

Regarding the office requirement, it is unlikely your apartment will be sufficient. A few years ago, the regulations changed from needing only a 'virtual office' to needing physical office space, with at least a desk and a company sign. Offices must meet certain criteria - off the top of my head I am not sure what they are, but they are above the requirements for residential locations. I am in the same situation: it would be preferable for me to use my home as my office, but instead I pay a similar fee to rent a desk and sign in an office. 83K is still well over the odds for company formation, but I expect that figure includes a few other services - WP application, etc. Even so... And, yes, if you are certain you will set up a business, you may as well get a Non-Imm B before you leave the US - it will save an extra admin step when you arrive. You will need a sponsorship letter from a Thai firm - the services company you contacted would do that for you; perhaps that is included in the 93K? Not sure about the Amity thing, that may change the rules for you, someone here will know.

If you are planning to get in and out of Thailand frequently, just get a tourist visa for 60 days. You than have a visa and no problem with having to have proof that you will leave the country within 30 days, as you would have on a visa exempt entry.

After you enter Thailand you can just leave and enter again on visa exempt entries. You can stay a maximum of 30 days in Thailand of them, without having to leave the country. In total you can stay 90 days on visa exempt entries in a 6 month period. Staying 10 times 9 days is also fine. A visa exempt entry is free.