Applying For Tourist Visa In Usa

My latest tourist visa will run out about the same time I'm headed back to the States for the holidays. I'll be there about a month and want to get a new, hopefully 3-entry Tourist Visa.

Have been corresponding with the embassy in D.C. who tell me I'll need to show my return ticket from Thailand (this I can produce without _too_ much hassle). BUT ALSO, that they won't offer me the usual 6 month time frame unless I get _more_ than 3 entries?

Has anyone else run into this or any other problem with the Thai Embassy in the US?

I thought it being my home country, things would be easier. Looks like I was mistaken.

Any info or clarification would be appreciated.

Call some of the honorary Thai consuls in the USA and see if they will give you a triple-entry tourist visa valid for six months. I have seen Houston, Texas seen mentioned favourably quite often. Application can be made by mail. The consular office of the Thai embassy in Washington DC has a reputation for being illogically and unreasonably restrictive.

--

Maestro

I called the Thai consulate in Los Angeles today. The representative on the phone told me that it is possible to stay in Thailand for 180 days on a 2-entry 60 day visa. She said near the end of the 60-day term on each entry, I can apply for a 30 day extension in Bangkok. If there is no need for you to exit the country more than one time on your itenerary, perhaps this could work for you too.

I don't see a 3 entry tourist visa listed anywhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction, as this might be a better option for me (I am hoping to stay for 1 year, and it sounds like with extensions this type of visa could carry me for 9 months).

NightOwl888, the application for a visa can be made by mail. One post above yours, wxpwzrd mentioned that he got his triple-entry tourist visa valid for travel to Thailand within six months from the honorary Thai consul in Portland. Check with them or with any other honorary consulate if they will give it to you. Honorary consulates are generally more reasonable than government-staffed consulates (Washington DC, Los Angeles, Chicago, possibly also some others)

You lose a few days between the visa’s issue date and the date of your first arrival in Thailand but the triple-entry tourist visa will indeed give you close to nine months in Thailand with extensions and two border runs.

When calling the consulates, you might as well ask if you can get a multiple-entry non-O visa, valid for travel for one year, for the purpose of making frequent trips to Thailand to visit friends. Who knows, you might get lucky.

--

Maestro

Honorary are the best. I know that the Houston one processes mailed in applications the same day received. (DC site says 10 days) The following is a link to the Thai embassy in DC directory page. A pull down menu on top gives you both the honorary and the regular ones. It even gives the email addresses for the consulates. You can also download an application form from this site that I have used for the consulate in Houston. Just give one of them a call or an email and ask them what they require. Ignore what the DC site has for the requirements to get a visa.

http://www2.thaiembdc.org/AboutEmb/EmbDirect.aspx

NightOwl888, the application for a visa can be made by mail. One post above yours, wxpwzrd mentioned that he got his triple-entry tourist visa valid for travel to Thailand within six months from the honorary Thai consul in Portland. Check with them or with any other honorary consulate if they will give it to you. Honorary consulates are generally more reasonable than government-staffed consulates (Washington DC, Los Angeles, Chicago, possibly also some others)

You lose a few days between the visa’s issue date and the date of your first arrival in Thailand but the triple-entry tourist visa will indeed give you close to nine months in Thailand with extensions and two border runs.

When calling the consulates, you might as well ask if you can get a multiple-entry non-O visa, valid for travel for one year, for the purpose of making frequent trips to Thailand to visit friends. Who knows, you might get lucky.

--

Maestro

Do you have any more information of what the multiple entry non-O requirements are supposed to be? Is the excuse of making frequent trips to visit friends really adequate? Can you offer any more info?

Thanks for all the responses...Maestro and others...

Do you have any more information of what the multiple entry non-O requirements are supposed to be? Is the excuse of making frequent trips to visit friends really adequate? Can you offer any more info?...

If it’s the official requirements you want you can find them on this web page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php...php%3Fid%3D2489

Please note that not all consulates implement all aspects of those requirements in all cases, which is the reason why information is exchanged in this forum about personal experiences in getting visas from individual consulates.

--

Maestro

• 3 weeks later...
Do you have any more information of what the multiple entry non-O requirements are supposed to be? Is the excuse of making frequent trips to visit friends really adequate? Can you offer any more info?...

If it’s the official requirements you want you can find them on this web page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php...php%3Fid%3D2489

Please note that not all consulates implement all aspects of those requirements in all cases, which is the reason why information is exchanged in this forum about personal experiences in getting visas from individual consulates.

--

Maestro

Sorry to bother you so late after the fact about this, but can you give me that url again? I couldn't get there from the one you posted. I recognize there are no guarantees on visas, I guess what I was trying to find out is what kind of questions they might ask if I try to get the non-O.

Oh yeah, is there any reason I shouldn't email these people? I find I tend to come across more responsibly in writing...but maybe calling is better?

There seems to be a problem with some links today.

You can find a list of Thai honorary consulates by using the pull donw menu at top of page using the following link. I just checked and it worked. You can find the same info on this website as the one that doesn't work.

http://www2.thaiembdc.org/AboutEmb/EmbDirect.aspx

Edited by ubonjoe

Ok, I've read the "official" requirements...

Can someone show me where I can find out how this non-imm O works in practice? (Thread is fine if there's already one.)

If I'm successful in getting one from the States, do I ask for a year upfront? Or do I come in with 3 months and then extend for a year? Do I need to have a multiple entries visa from the beginning in order to come and go (or can that be done with the extension)?

Is there much chance of not getting the extension and how much does one cost?

In other words, how does it compare to the cost/certainty of a Tourist Visa. I know with a 3-entry TV I can be here about 9 months unless something unusual goes wrong. What about with this visa?

This is all in response to Maestro's suggestion above. I just want to have my research done before I go home so I don't waste time and money. Thanks for all help!!

A non-O is valid for 90 days and can be extended in Thailand it self to one year.

For the rules for an extention: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf

A multiple non-O gives you the right to have an unlimited entries into Thailand during a year, starting from the date it was issued. Each entry gives you 90 days, after which you must leave Thailand but can come back the same day. By going ove the border and coming back again 1 or 2 days before the visa expires you get an extra 90 days and so in fact you can stay a total of 15 months in Thailand.

Edit:

with a multiple non-O you can come and go as you want. With a single and when you are on an extention you would need to get a re-entry permit in order to keep your period you are permitted to stay alive.

Edited by Mario2008

A non-O is valid for 90 days and can be extended in Thailand it self to one year.

For the rules for an extention: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf

A multiple non-O gives you the right to have an unlimited entries into Thailand during a year, starting from the date it was issued. Each entry gives you 90 days, after which you must leave Thailand but can come back the same day. By going ove the border and coming back again 1 or 2 days before the visa expires you get an extra 90 days and so in fact you can stay a total of 15 months in Thailand.

Edit:

with a multiple non-O you can come and go as you want. With a single and when you are on an extention you would need to get a re-entry permit in order to keep your period you are permitted to stay alive.

Thanks for this! Only one question: in the edit...with a multiple I can come can go as I want, with a single I can do what again?

Thanks for this! Only one question: in the edit...with a multiple I can come can go as I want, with a single I can do what again?
With a single you can enter once only; you get a 90 day passport permission stamp.

If you leave before your 90 days is up you can purchase a re-entry permit which allows you to return to Thailand again; but only up to your original single entry 90 day permission stamp date.

If you have the money, one of the sponcers of TV Siam Legal has a 1 year multiple Non-B visa that they will help you obtain, for a fee of course.

I can say from personal experience that they delivered what they promised. I sent in the legal fee, they sent the "supporting documents" to the Honorary Consul in Montgomery, Alabama, and sent us our paperwork to sign and send in. It took 2 weeks beginning to end for me and my wife to get our Multiple Non-B visas. It gives you theoretically 15 months in LOS. The visa is good for one year, when you arrive you get a 90 stamp and then do a border run every 90 days and as long as you make a border run right before it expires you get another 90 days, hence the 15 months. From what I have heard Non-O visas are harder to obtain in the US, unless you meet the specific requirements. The only consulate I have heard of that readily gives them out is in Hull, UK.

If you have the money to spare I recommend Siam Legal. Worked for us like a charm. But it looks like their price has gone up. We paid $375 each, now it is $489 and the Thai Consulate fee is another $175. I guess with the world economy in the toilet it shouldn't be a surprise.

Sorry to bother you so late after the fact about this, but can you give me that url again? I couldn't get there from the one you posted. I recognize there are no guarantees on visas, I guess what I was trying to find out is what kind of questions they might ask if I try to get the non-O.

Oh yeah, is there any reason I shouldn't email these people? I find I tend to come across more responsibly in writing...but maybe calling is better?

I think the most important thing to remember is what the O stands for. It is Other. It can be anything that the consulate feels can fall under that catagory. If you cantact an official Thai consulate they will probably just use the list.

The link I provided has the email addresses for the Honarary consulates in the US. Write up something good explaining that you have frequently visited Thailand have developed very close relationships with friends, aquaintances and etc.here and that a normal tourist visa does not meet your needs because of your length of stay, frequent visits and etc. Just do a bit of creative writing. Email that to one that is close to your home in the states. If they say no try another one and/or change the wording a bit to get around the first ones reason for saying no if given.

Visiting friends has worked for some. I know of a case where it was given to a person that was working in Africa on a rotation and was using Thailand as his home base.

It can't hurt to try and a written yes is a lot better than a verbal.

Good luck

Joe

...Have been corresponding with the embassy in D.C. who tell me I'll need to show my return ticket from Thailand (this I can produce without _too_ much hassle). BUT ALSO, that they won't offer me the usual 6 month time frame unless I get _more_ than 3 entries?

Has anyone else run into this or any other problem with the Thai Embassy in the US? ...

I just received a 6 month triple entry tourist visa from the Thai consulate in Houston. They do not require a financial statement or a travel itenarary showing a ticket out of Thailand. If you want a company to handle it for you, there is an outfit called Passports Plus in Houston that will do it for I think $39. You can find them on the internet. That is what I did and everything went smooth. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the most important thing to remember is what the O stands for. It is Other. It can be anything that the consulate feels can fall under that catagory. If you cantact an official Thai consulate they will probably just use the list.

The link I provided has the email addresses for the Honarary consulates in the US. Write up something good explaining that you have frequently visited Thailand have developed very close relationships with friends, aquaintances and etc.here and that a normal tourist visa does not meet your needs because of your length of stay, frequent visits and etc. Just do a bit of creative writing. Email that to one that is close to your home in the states. If they say no try another one and/or change the wording a bit to get around the first ones reason for saying no if given.

Visiting friends has worked for some. I know of a case where it was given to a person that was working in Africa on a rotation and was using Thailand as his home base.

It can't hurt to try and a written yes is a lot better than a verbal.

Good luck

Joe

Thanks for this advice. Unfortunately, I live in Virginia, so I think it's going to look a little strange that I'm asking in Atlanta, Houston, etc. Maybe I'll try to tell them the embassy in D.C. takes too long?

What's the view on people working elsewhere but using Thailand as a home base (in your experience). For example, I also make my money outside (Korea), but I was under the impression immigration would think I must also be working here since I work in Korea only once a year (summer) and, if I can afford it, sometimes not even that.

I know some people actually use Thailand itself as a working base, even though they are paid through banks outside and technically do their work outside. I assume that's not strictly legal, so I want to avoid giving that impression.

Just trying to see if I should even mention how I make money (since I really don't have any income here) or whether at my age and low salary, they will think I'm just making this up.

Thanks again for your help.

To long is a very good reason if you look at their website they have a 10 day turn around on mail in applications.

I am sure the other consulates get applications all the time that are from people that live close to the "official" consulates.

Yes there are a lot of people that use Thailand as a base. Just as long as you are not generating money here and it comes from outside the country it is not a problem. I wouldn't worry about giving the wrong impression.

Unless you use how you make your money as a reason to get the visa I wouldn't mention it.