Half A Million Baht

I have always wanted to live in Thailand but have been put off by the idea of teaching and quite low pay. I curently live in Taiwan an although i started out teaching 3 years ago, I now work as a Chinese to English translator and magazine editor. I have also authored a couple of ESL books.

Anyway, after having a Thai friend visit last week and giving her the tour- I found myself thinking that Thailand is simply so much better than Taiwan (from a personal perspective) and why on earth am I not living there? So, I've decided to move over in a few months. I want to avoid teaching if possible as I feel that it would be a step back for me after achieving so much here in Taiwan- I can continue translation work over the net which could pay the rent and some of my living expenses, but I would need to find something a bit more stable after a few months.

In addition to basic setting- myself- up- in- thailand costs, I can muster about 500,000 to be invested in some way. Wjhat can I do with it? Better still, what would YOU do with it. Sure I could sit around and doss on it for a year but I would like to make a foray into self employment/ own business of some kind. I guess many of you will laugh- "Half a million is ###### all." I hear you cry. But this is the best I can do for the moment.

How would you invest half a mil Baht?

Going somewhere for "personal reasons" can financially drain you.

As for investment there are many ways of turning around money and making profit but first you have to know the market you want to be in and have some connections. Or you can make it on sheer passion and focus...believing in a product and selling.

I'd suggest you hold on to your money...because if you have to ask what to do then you aren't prepared for business.

Swallow your pride and teach english until you figure it out. Everybody starts somewhere and trust me starting a business on little money you will have to swallow alot more pride.

I have started a rosy looking little venture with a similar sum, The trick is to be here, trust your instinct, and don't let too many thai's in on what you are doing. Keep your cards pretty close to your chest and do your research well. I would suggest export to your home country first as you will have a good idea of the markts you can supply and the demands thereof. It is a land of opportunity but keep it low key or you will find that you have a sudden upsurge of competition from the locals.

A Yorkshiremans advice to his son.."see all, hear all, say now't. Eat all, drink all pay now't, and if tha ever does owt for now't do it for thi'sen"

If you find yourself in the situation that if you invest it and loose it (taking a gamble that has a realistic possibility of failure) then you might want to consider a business in Thailand. Otherwise, forget it. The odds are you will fail. Now of cours lots of people will disagree with me and tell you about their success etc etc but I believe the fact is that MOST foreign businesses in Thailand are money loosing proposition....I could be wrong about this but I've heard lots of people talk about failure and most success stories include a Thai spouse in the scenerio.

To be honest (as you mention), 500,000 baht is not a big sum of money! And you could easily lose all this in a risky business venture. So I would say 'don't risk it!'. Which means that you follow the advice given and keep your money in the bank. Get a lowly paid job (yes! teaching!!). That will allow you to maybe understand your environment a lot more, and maybe make you more aware of the pitfalls that exist.

Good luck!!

Southpaw,

where's your knowledge....?

Exactly, teaching/translating from Chinese to English (and vice versa?)

So, maybe there is a way for you in Thailand to make a living.

Translating can be done on your PC in Thailand so you don't have

to live in Taiwan.

There might be Chinese (business) people with children in BKK area

as well who could use your skills for teaching the kids at your/their home.

Give it a try.

Go to the Taiwanese Embassy/Consulate and talk to them.

good luck

Half Mill Baht ain't that much dough! Figure a guy that hits LOS every other month is going to drop much more than that much per year, easy.....If a guy is looking at a bankroll of .5mill baht I would have to suggest he rethink his status. That clicks out to be 40,000 baht per month and if you gander at lots of posts you ain't goin to make it a year!

Rethink my status :o

I didn't say that I actually WOULD use the money to doss around for a year..please read more carefully

Thanks to the rest of you for your responses, much appreciated.

Of course I know that if i don't even have any busines ideas- I'm not ready for it. I will sit on the money and see if i can get by on translations which would be more than teaching anyway. I just wanted to get an idea of how far that kind of money goes- what can be one with it.

Dunno.

Except spend it on hot tubs, woman and ..... well kind of squander the rest i guess.

Serious now : as long as u don't have figured it out by and for urself u'll best sit on it.

Some hot TH chicks sit on it. Totally unaware they sit on a fortune if u know what i mean 55555

Welcum to TH just leave ur conscience in TW.

This will be the best free advise u'll ever get about investing and living in TH buddy :o

Thanks to the rest of you for your responses, much appreciated.

Of course I know that if i don't even have any busines ideas- I'm not ready for it. I will sit on the money and see if i can get by on translations which would be more than teaching anyway. I just wanted to get an idea of how far that kind of money goes- what can be one with it.

Good thinking.

If you can pull 40,000bt a month nett, go for it and sit on your .5mill.

Good luck mate. :o

Loan it out at 5% interest per month.

Investment:

-A few 30 Baht notebooks from your local school supply store.

-Some pens (get whatever is on sale).

With some diligence, you'll be able to pick up some real estate on the way.

:o

Loan it out at 5% interest per month. 

Investment:

-A few 30 Baht notebooks from your local school supply store.

-Some pens (get whatever is on sale).

With some diligence, you'll be able to pick up some real estate on the way. 

:D

What's the going rate for a couple of TH goons these days ?

What's the best deal : hire a hit at the time or pay a periodical fixed fee kind of credit insurance ? :o

No idea. Never had to use any goons.

Make sure anyone who takes out a loan/credit line signs a power of attorney (to transfer title on their property) to go along with the standard loan agreement. Paper clip them together (buy the cheaper plastic ones to save a few Baht, they also don't mark/rust on the documents... especially on those longer term loans).

That's all the muscle you need. This isn't some HK or Hollywood movie.

:o

I have always wanted to live in Thailand but have been put off by the idea of teaching and quite low pay. I curently live in Taiwan an although i started out teaching 3 years ago, I now work as a Chinese to English translator and magazine editor. I have also authored a couple of ESL books.

Anyway, after having a Thai friend visit last week and giving her the tour- I found myself thinking that Thailand is simply so much better than Taiwan (from a personal perspective) and why on earth am I not living there? So, I've decided to move over in a few months. I want to avoid teaching if possible as I feel that it would be a step back for me after achieving so much here in Taiwan- I can continue translation work over the net which could pay the rent and some of my living expenses, but I would need to find something a bit more stable after a few months.

In addition to basic setting- myself- up- in- thailand costs, I can muster about 500,000 to be invested in some way. Wjhat can I do with it? Better still, what would YOU do with it. Sure I could sit around and doss on it for a year but I would like to make a foray into self employment/ own business of some kind. I guess many of you will laugh- "Half a million is ###### all." I hear you cry. But this is the best I can do for the moment.

I'd add another 300K to it and buy a life membership at Alpine Golf Club (because I am bored/dissatisfied with my current club.)

hear it my friend / move it and get a teaching job first / worm your way around and get better pay as you go along...

try to get a base of say above 35,000 per month first / then move from there / remember that the standard of living cost is also different from taiwan and if you said you were doing so well / you should have much more than 500,000 baht... / is that a bullshit or are we missing something here...

Doing well doesn't neccessarily mean having a lot of money in the bank. In two years I've gone from teaching brats, to learning a language well enough to get translation work. My Chinese ability has opened a few doors and I've managed to get a couple of books out- that's doing well. I haven't got that much money because I've been spending it and I have a decent standard of living.

Thanks to lao po and a couple of others who had the heart to offer genuine responses- but the others can lick my bag. If 500,000 were peanuts to me, I would out living life instead of concocting ridiculous responses to other people's posts.

No idea.  Never had to use any goons.

Make sure anyone who takes out a loan/credit line signs a power of attorney (to transfer title on their property) to go along with the standard loan agreement.   Paper clip them together (buy the cheaper plastic ones to save a few Baht, they also don't mark/rust on the documents... especially on those longer term loans).   

That's all the muscle you need.    This isn't some HK or Hollywood movie.  

:D

I c use the cheaper plastic paper clips in stead of the metal ones. On a modest five percent intrest a month loan must tremendously boost the profit margin :o Or may be u have high cost of sales to hire body guards to protect ur miserable loanshark life ? :D Might also explain some of them unsolved suicide murders on some farang ain't it ? Not HK or Hollywood movie sure it's LOS even cruelty with :D would serve a loanshark right.

I can muster about 500,000 to be invested in some way. Wjhat can I do with it?

In the Japanese press, there are adds put by investment companies - "Thailand 16% growth. Invest with us".

Reputable papers, the IHT, Japan Times.

I know, anyone can pay for an add.

IMO, the real treasure you are sitting on are your translating skills. Cash them up.

Don't expect any logicaly serious advice with some analysis behind it.

I had some similar problem, and overall i wasn't satisfied with kind of

replies that i got, except for a member name "Loonq" and "Jockstar"

who somhow delivered some reasons.

After all, i appreciated all the comments.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19806&st=0

After spending few weeks in these forums, i came to know lot of

weirdos are here.

weirdos are here.

TRUST ME. You more than qualify as weird.

weirdos are here.

TRUST ME. You more than qualify as weird.

Prove me? Btw i didn't say who is weirdo? Are you doubtful?