Somchai Wongsawat To Be New PM

Jai Dee

Thai PM visits his new office in abandoned airport terminal :o

BANGKOK (AFP / 52 minutes ago) — Thai Premier Somchai Wongsawat inspected his new offices Friday at an abandoned airport terminal where he is moving the seat of government to avoid protesters trying to force him from power.

Somchai is converting a terminal at Bangkok's domestic Don Mueang airport into temporary offices for the more than 2,000 staffers who normally work at Government House, which has been besieged by protesters for more than three weeks.

The airport was Thailand's main international gateway until a new hub opened two years ago and most of the sprawling complex on the northern edge of Bangkok has since been empty.

"Today I come to survey the site and I find that it's solid," Somchai told reporters, adding that he would work from the airport "until Government House returns to normal."

Thousands of royalist protesters stormed the main government complex on August 26, setting up a camp on the lawn to demand that the ruling People Power Party (PPP) leave government.

This week the protesters installed a large tent for shelter from the rain and spread 80 truckloads of sand to cover the once manicured lawn which had turned into a mudpit. They have set up washing machines in the garden and provide free food and haircuts.

Supporters of the government plan their own rally at a nearby plaza late Friday but insist that they will stay clear of the Government House to prevent any clashes.

Rival protesters fought in the streets on September 2, leaving one government supporter dead and prompting a state of emergency in Bangkok that was only lifted on Sunday.

Thai media have reported that Somchai called protest leader Sondhi Limthongkul to propose opening negotiations on ending the standoff but the prime minister declined to confirm the reports.

"We are all Thais so we can talk to one another. We do not harbour permanent hatreds although we have different opinions," he said.

Somchai declined to answer questions about his efforts to name a cabinet, saying only that he would announce the new government soon.

Parliament elected Somchai as prime minister on Wednesday after his predecessor Samak Sundaravej was forced from office by a court that ruled he had been paid illegally for hosting TV cooking shows.

The protesters accuse the PPP of acting as a front for ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who was toppled in a military coup exactly two years ago. That complaint has taken new resonance with the election of Somchai, who is married to Thaksin's sister.

80 truckloads sand :D

New PM concedes he met with protest leaders

BANGKOK, Sept 19 (TNA) – Newly-elected Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat on Friday conceded he had met and discussed with core members of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) and that the negotiation's looked more promising than before.

"I cannot yet give any details because the negotiations are underway," he said. "But it sounds more constructive."

Asked if there was a good result from the talks, Somchai said: "We discussed for a short while on some matters and quite long on others. Efforts to solve the problem through the negotiation are underway."

"We are all Thais and do not hate each other. A difference of opinions is not unusual," he said. "We need to talk to settle our differences." he said.

Last night, PAD core leader Somkiati Pongpaibul said at the protest site at Government House that Somchai phoned protest leader Sonthi Limthongkul to discuss a way for reconciliation in an effort to end the ongoing political crisis.

Simultaneously, Maj-Gen. Chamlong Srimuang, another PAD leader, conceded on Friday morning that the government had sought to negotiate with the group, but he refused to elaborate.

Edited by sriracha john

Thaksin to vet cabinet

King appoints Somchai PM by royal command

The potential line-up of the Somchai Wongsawat cabinet is believed to be on its way to London for former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's perusal. Yongyuth Tiyapairat, a former deputy leader of the People Power party, has been ordered to Britain by new prime minister Somchai Wongsawat to update Mr Thaksin on the political situation and seek his advice on allotment of cabinet seats, a source in the PPP said. Some changes could be made to the proposed line-up based on his advice.

The report of the list being delivered to London came after His Majesty the King yesterday endorsed the nomination of deputy PPP leader Somchai Wongsawat as the new prime minister.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

So just as Somchai starts his "negotiations with PAD manouver", which by the way was a tactical masterstroke, he is immediately undermined by a source in the PPP letting it out of the bag that Thaksin will choose the cabinet, which immediatley gives grounds for the PAD to refuse the negotiations if they want. However, their five questions response is a tactical masterstroke in response. High level and very skilled politcal gamesmanship by both sides but with one side being undermined from within.

How blatant, and Yongyuth of all people.

Obviously things that can't be said over telephone lines, conference video calls, or secure internet / telephony.

Bet they sweep the room for bugs daily too. Outrageous conduct, and people still argue to shut up PAD.

The only consistent voice against this puppet theater of the absurd!

BANGKOK (AFP / 52 minutes ago) — Thai Premier Somchai Wongsawat inspected his new offices Friday at an abandoned airport terminal where he is moving the seat of government to avoid protesters trying to force him from power......

"Today I come to survey the site and I find that it's solid," Somchai told reporters, adding that he would work from the airport "until Government House returns to normal."......

What he never went tt the airport before??? hel_l even I KNOW it's solid.

Now I can say:

' I used to hang out at the Thai Prime Ministers offices."

Correct me if I am wrong. The Thaksin family is the 1st in Thailand to have 2 membes as Thai PM. Singapore and US have a father & son team. Pakistan have a husban & wife team.

You forgot to mention the Adams (father & son) and the Roosevelts (fifth cousins).

New PM concedes he met with protest leaders

"We are all Thais and do not hate each other. A difference of opinions is not unusual," he said. "We need to talk to settle our differences." he said.

Last night, PAD core leader Somkiati Pongpaibul said at the protest site at Government House that Somchai phoned protest leader Sonthi Limthongkul to discuss a way for reconciliation in an effort to end the ongoing political crisis.

Simultaneously, Maj-Gen. Chamlong Srimuang, another PAD leader, conceded on Friday morning that the government had sought to negotiate with the group, but he refused to elaborate.

This is encouraging. I hope everyone will agree to hope that a negotiated outcome is achieved.

Correct me if I am wrong. The Thaksin family is the 1st in Thailand to have 2 membes as Thai PM. Singapore and US have a father & son team. Pakistan have a husban & wife team.

You forgot to mention the Adams (father & son) and the Roosevelts (fifth cousins).

Would that be Gomez and Pugsley? Never knew they were ever Thai PM's. :o

Things can really begin to progress now that I-am-finished-with-politics Thaksin has full approval of the Cabinet and particularly progressive if Chalerm is back in it... now that's Justice (to make full use of the pun)...

Thaksin gives nod for key positions

Chalerm lobbies hard for cabinet comeback

The Somchai Wongsawat Cabinet line-up is beginning to take shape now that deposed PM Thaksin Shinawatra is said to have given his nod and blessing for the key positions. A source in the ruling PPP said yesterday Thaksin had approved the nominations of former President of the Siam Commercial Bank Olarn Chaipravat as Finance Minister, Justice Minister Sompong Amornwiwat as Interior Minister, and Chachoengsao MP Itthi Sirilatyakorn as Transport Minister. Olarn used to be Chairman of the Thaicom Foundation, founded by Shin Corporation. The source said the ousted PM had reviewed the potential line-up in London brought to him by Yongyuth Tiyapairat, a former Deputy Leader of PPP. Yongyuth, who is expected to return to Thailand in a day or two, is among the most influential party members helping put together the Somchai Cabinet. According to the source, Transport Minister Santi Promphat of the Friends of Newin faction is likely to be left out in the cold. Santi is reportedly at odds with Yaowapa Wongsawat, wife of PM Somchai and sister of Thaksin. He was said to be lobbying hard to keep his transport portfolio. Speculation was rife that Santi and 3 other ministers from the Friends of Newin group might lose their jobs. The Education portfolio is likely to go to PPP MP for Yasothon Piraphan Palusuk with Sarit Ung-apinant, PPP MP for Chiang Rai, becoming his Deputy. Saroj Chavanaviraj is likely to be retained as Foreign Minister. Former Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung is also thought to be lobbying hard for a Cabinet position. However, his bid is being blocked. Somchai fears Chalerm's inclusion would not bode well for his government. Pracharaj Party Leader Sanoh Thienthong yesterday called on Somchai to pick the right people when forming the Cabinet and not to bow to faction demands. He also suggested Yaowapa should not have a hand in the government's formation because of her family ties with Thaksin. He advised Somchai not to double as Defence Minister. Sanoh said his wife Uraiwan would remain in the Somchai Cabinet despite current Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee's decision to opt out of the new line-up due to the digit lottery case. Sanoh said Surapong's pullout would not bring any pressure on his wife, also implicated in the lottery case, which is pending in the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/200908_News/20Sep2008_news06.php

Not to mention the Bushes, or Pitt the Elder & Pitt the Younger. :o

Leaders of pro-government demonstrators threaten to lead provincial people to crush PAD

Two leaders of pro-government groups threatened late Friday night to lead 40,000 people from Chiang Rai and Udon Thani to crush the People's Alliance for Democracy-led protesters next month.

Kwanchai Praiphana, leader of pro-government people in Udon Thani, and Uthai Saenkaew, leader of pro-government people in Chiang Rai, made the threat at 10:45 pm during a demonstration held at Sanam Luang by the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship.

The two said the PAD must leave the Government House before October 10 or else they would be forced out by the government supporters from the two provinces.

However, only hundreds joined the Sanam Luang rally late Friday night.

- The Nation

Two leaders of pro-government groups threatened late Friday night to lead 40,000 people from Chiang Rai and Udon Thani to crush the People's Alliance for Democracy-led protesters next month.

Someone mentioned "control of the streets" a couple of days ago.

BANGKOK (AFP / 52 minutes ago) — Thai Premier Somchai Wongsawat inspected his new offices Friday at an abandoned airport terminal where he is moving the seat of government to avoid protesters trying to force him from power......

"Today I come to survey the site and I find that it's solid," Somchai told reporters, adding that he would work from the airport "until Government House returns to normal."......

Now I can say:

He probably spent a lot of time at Swampypoom. He isn't used to airports being solid.

Now I can say:

He probably spent a lot of time at Swampypoom. He isn't used to airports being solid.

Airports seem to be a recurrent theme in the recent history of Somchai and Yaowapha

They use a stage-name here "Thaksin" and "Somchai"

Thanong snubs PPP, Ruangroj ready for defence

The People Power Party (PPP) Deputy Leader General Ruangroj Mahasaranon, said he is ready to work as the defence minister, if the PPP executives see him fitting for the job. General Ruangroj believed he can act as a mediator between the anti-government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) and the pro-government United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD). Meanwhile, former Finance Minister Thanong Bidaya said he does not want to succeed PPP Secretary-General Surapong Suebwonglee as the Finance Minister, citing that he has already ended his political role for a long time. Surapong also refused to take any position in the next Cabinet of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, as he is still involved in the two- and three-digit lottery case. However, he said the new Finance Minister must quickly solve the economic problems, including

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=130802

Oh they were PM's for sure

Partly Munsters... :D:D:(:D :D

Come on, you KNEW you needed a laugh.

Things can really begin to progress now that I-am-finished-with-politics Thaksin has full approval of the Cabinet and particularly progressive if Chalerm is back in it... now that's Justice (to make full use of the pun)...

The Somchai Wongsawat Cabinet line-up is beginning to take shape now that deposed PM Thaksin Shinawatra is said to have given his nod and blessing for the key positions. A source in the ruling PPP said yesterday Thaksin had approved the nominations of former President of the Siam Commercial Bank Olarn Chaipravat as Finance Minister, Justice Minister Sompong Amornwiwat as Interior Minister, and Chachoengsao MP Itthi Sirilatyakorn as Transport Minister. Olarn used to be Chairman of the Thaicom Foundation, founded by Shin Corporation. The source said the ousted PM had reviewed the potential line-up in London brought to him by Yongyuth Tiyapairat, a former Deputy Leader of PPP. Yongyuth, who is expected to return to Thailand in a day or two, is among the most influential party members helping put together the Somchai Cabinet. According to the source, Transport Minister Santi Promphat of the Friends of Newin faction is likely to be left out in the cold. Santi is reportedly at odds with Yaowapa Wongsawat, wife of PM Somchai and sister of Thaksin. He was said to be lobbying hard to keep his transport portfolio. Speculation was rife that Santi and 3 other ministers from the Friends of Newin group might lose their jobs. The Education portfolio is likely to go to PPP MP for Yasothon Piraphan Palusuk with Sarit Ung-apinant, PPP MP for Chiang Rai, becoming his Deputy. Saroj Chavanaviraj is likely to be retained as Foreign Minister. Former Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung is also thought to be lobbying hard for a Cabinet position. However, his bid is being blocked. Somchai fears Chalerm's inclusion would not bode well for his government. Pracharaj Party Leader Sanoh Thienthong yesterday called on Somchai to pick the right people when forming the Cabinet and not to bow to faction demands. He also suggested Yaowapa should not have a hand in the government's formation because of her family ties with Thaksin. He advised Somchai not to double as Defence Minister. Sanoh said his wife Uraiwan would remain in the Somchai Cabinet despite current Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee's decision to opt out of the new line-up due to the digit lottery case. Sanoh said Surapong's pullout would not bring any pressure on his wife, also implicated in the lottery case, which is pending in the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders.

Continued here:

Can someone explain how it is possible for a criminal, on the run from the law,living in self imposed exile in a foreign country,to have the power and audacity to "give his approval" to the make-up of a parliamentary cabinet in another country half way round the world.

Just stunning! :o

Continued here:

Can someone explain how it is possible for a criminal, on the run from the law,living in self imposed exile in a foreign country,to have the power and audacity to "give his approval" to the make-up of a parliamentary cabinet in another country half way round the world.

That is exactly the reason why PAD get more and more support......

And the fairy tale continues...hope the Doc doesn't get upset by people voicing their opinion... :o

Somchai fears Chalerm's inclusion would not bode well for his government. Pracharaj Party Leader Sanoh Thienthong yesterday called on Somchai to pick the right people when forming the Cabinet and not to bow to faction demands. He also suggested Yaowapa should not have a hand in the government's formation because of her family ties with Thaksin. He advised Somchai not to double as Defence Minister. Sanoh said his wife Uraiwan would remain in the Somchai Cabinet despite current Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee's decision to opt out of the new line-up due to the digit lottery case.

well, well well, as if Yaowapa is only around to hand out some freshly cooked rice to the needy, make offerings for the house buddha, fresh flowers and lao kao for the spirit house! :D .....of course any relations to her husband, business interests, or her involvement on behalf of her brothers interests, are simply fictitious!

And yes Sanoh... Mr.Sparkling Clean, yep!

Here we go, next round!

Edited by Samuian

Continued here:

The greatest asset that PAD has is PPP and according to some it's only Bht 100 to buy their loyalty.

Continued here:

The greatest asset that PAD has is PPP and according to some it's only Bht 100 to buy their loyalty.

Well for everyone who worry that the PAD runs out of fuel....Here is some new fuel

from the nation:

PPP to push for charter amendments after new Cabinet formed

People Power Party MP Phiraphan Phalusuk said Saturday that his party would seek charter amendments after the new Cabinet is formed.

Phiraphan, secretary of a special House committee studying problems of the enforcement of the current charter, said the PPP would go ahead to seek charter amendments without waiting for the panel to complete its task.

He said the PPP would amend Article 237 to make it harder for a political party to be dissolved and amend article 68 to lessen length of period of political ban.

The Nation

George W Bush, George HW Bush, Prescott Bush (Not a president, but a powerful senator who attempted to oust FD Roosevelt in a coup in the 30s. Jeb Bush (the smart one) is also the Governor of a powerful state (florida) and brother Neil is tied up with various immportant businesses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/docume..._20070723.shtml

Continued here:

Well for everyone who worry that the PAD runs out of fuel....Here is some new fuel

from the nation:

People Power Party MP Phiraphan Phalusuk said Saturday that his party would seek charter amendments after the new Cabinet is formed.

Phiraphan, secretary of a special House committee studying problems of the enforcement of the current charter, said the PPP would go ahead to seek charter amendments without waiting for the panel to complete its task.

He said the PPP would amend Article 237 to make it harder for a political party to be dissolved and amend article 68 to lessen length of period of political ban.

The Nation

They make their crap soooooo obvious. All the problems facing this Nation and this is where their priorities lie... jumping in to change the constitution before even examining it... when the House should have better things to do than examining it in the first place.

btw, it's a great law. Holding a mafia gang responsible for the actions of its captains and Dons with racketeering and Rico Act-like laws is good for smashing crime syndicates. There's a plethora of other examples available as well. It's a law that has some teeth in it (although it could even further IMHO regarding the 5 year "ban" on politics).

That it is under attack with such urgency, in the face of other monumental problems, by the very same gang it is hurting speaks to its validity.

Edited by sriracha john

Continued here:

from the nation:

The Nation

They make their crap soooooo obvious. All the problems facing this Nation and this is where their priorities lie... jumping in to change the constitution before even examining it... when the House should have better things to do than examining it in the first place.

btw, it's a great law. Holding a mafia gang responsible for the actions of its captains and Dons with racketeering and Rico Act-laws is good for smashing crime syndicates. There's a plethora of other examples available as well. It's a law that has some teeth in it (although it could even further IMHO regarding the 5 year "ban" on politics).

That it is under attack with such urgency, in the face of other monumental problems, by the very same gang it is hurting speaks to its validity.

Well it must be obvious that if the plan is to rip as much as you can out of the public purse and safe guard your old mates etc, the first thing you must do is to remove all constraints that could pose a problem now and into the future if and when you get caught-out with the hand in the cookie-jar.

So lets not worry about insignificant things like the economy, the south, drugs, education, crime and road deaths etc - sort out the really important things first.

With the People Power Party getting its direction from Thaksin in London, it's only fitting that its coalition partner Puea Pandin Party is getting direction from Vatana in Poipet. The over-riding decisions of this government are being made by criminal fugitives outside of the country.... Wonderful!!!

PUEA PANDIN PARTY CONSULTS FUGITIVE

Puea Pandin Party leaders have consulted the Party's Chief Adviser, fugitive criminal Vatana Asavahame, on their quota of Cabinet seats. They visited Cambodia's Poipet province, known for its casino complexes, to meet him. A source at Puea Pandin Party said Party leaders recently went to Poipet, opposite Sa Kaeo province's Aranyaprathet district, to meet Vatana and discuss the quota of Cabinet posts held by the Party in the new coalition government. The line-up of Party candidates for Cabinet posts has now been finalised. ''Vatana still commands respect from all party members. His decision is always respected and accepted,'' said the source. The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions sentenced Vatana to 10 years in prison on Aug 18 after convicting him of corruption in the Klong Dan wastewater treatment plant scandal. The former Samut Prakan MP jumped bail and and ran away to Poipet, where he runs casino businesses. A warrant is out for his arrest. The source said Puea Pandin Party asked for the Industry portfolio and in return would give the post of Deputy PM to the People Power Party. The Party leaders also agreed to push for Police General Pracha Promnok, another Party Adviser, to be given a Cabinet position, the source said. Party members including

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/210908_News/21Sep2008_news02.php

He said the PPP would amend Article 237 to make it harder for a political party to be dissolved and amend article 68 to lessen length of period of political ban...

Puea Pandin Party leaders have consulted the Party's Chief Adviser, fugitive criminal Vatana Asavahame, on their quota of Cabinet seats

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions sentenced Vatana to 10 years in prison on Aug 18 after convicting him of corruption in the Klong Dan wastewater treatment plant scandal. The former Samut Prakan MP jumped bail and and ran away to Poipet, where he runs casino businesses. A warrant is out for his arrest.

PPP is a pack of losers. It seems nothing can clean this party up, I look forward to its dissolution and the conviction/banning/jailing of yet another bunch of its pathetically corrupt and self-interested executives.

He said the PPP would amend Article 237 to make it harder for a political party to be dissolved and amend article 68 to lessen length of period of political ban...

Puea Pandin Party leaders have consulted the Party's Chief Adviser, fugitive criminal Vatana Asavahame, on their quota of Cabinet seats

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions sentenced Vatana to 10 years in prison on Aug 18 after convicting him of corruption in the Klong Dan wastewater treatment plant scandal. The former Samut Prakan MP jumped bail and and ran away to Poipet, where he runs casino businesses. A warrant is out for his arrest.

PPP is a pack of losers. It seems nothing can clean this party up, I look forward to its dissolution and the conviction/banning/jailing of yet another bunch of its pathetically corrupt and self-interested executives.

Well, I think everyone on ThaiVisa agrees they are a bunch of pathetically corrupt and self-interested executives. The problem is whether it is a good idea to give a pathetically corrupt and self-interested elite and military the power to dissolve, convict, ban, and jail the PPP in order that they may take their place and create a far worse system.

Continued here:

from the nation:

The Nation

btw, it's a great law. Holding a mafia gang responsible for the actions of its captains and Dons with racketeering and Rico Act-laws is good for smashing crime syndicates. There's a plethora of other examples available as well. It's a law that has some teeth in it (although it could even further IMHO regarding the 5 year "ban" on politics).

Well it must be obvious that if the plan is to rip as much as you can out of the public purse and safe guard your old mates etc, the first thing you must do is to remove all constraints that could pose a problem now and into the future if and when you get caught-out with the hand in the cookie-jar.

So lets not worry about insignificant things like the economy, the south, drugs, education, crime and road deaths etc - sort out the really important things first.

double, triple, quadrupal, contrapuntal DITTO.

Trying to save the 3rd string in the next go round.

2nd String maybe retroactively?

They are already over the tipping point.

This goes to the very heart of PAD's staying power,

and the reasons they have so much quiet back room backing.

Steal subtly and discretely we might ignore.

Steal and wave it in out faces and laugh,

we take action.

Edited by animatic