Somchai Wongsawat To Be New PM

Jai Dee

One of two dynamics are happening in Bangkok: TRT/PPP simply can't find qualified people in their ranks - by their own admission(!) - or there's simply a dearth of qualified candidates, period. Sad to say, but subsequent generations of Thais - (future leaders) - will all have such examples to emulate: They're learning that corruption is ok, cheating is ok, lying is ok, avoiding court orders is ok - as long as it gets them to power positions and amasses money.

It sounds a lot like the code for the Cosa Nostra or Wall street money handlers.

Basically the issue here is despite the feverish claims of the PPP supporters that big business supports PPP/dislikes PAD, the truth is the majority of the private sector except for some specific organisations actually is mostly apolitical; they supported the Democrats, they supported TRT, they supported the coup and they now sort of are seen to support PPP - they have to play that role in order to maintain dialogue and ensure that the ministers involved don't screw them over.

However the reality is that in private, most of senior executives I've spoken to in the private sector are wringing their hands at just how bad the PPP have been to date; doing absolutely nothing for most sectors of the economy. Many are not particularly angry at the PAD even if they dislike the PAD, they are angry that the PPP have brought this upon themselves.

The transgressions and idiocy of guys like Chalerm and Chavalit (the guy who brought Thailand's economy to a standstill in 97 while alledgedly personally ensuring himself and his friends including Thaksin were all immunised from the currency crisis and rumour has it were the chief shortsellers of the baht, and the guy who gave up hundreds of sq km of area to Laos yet coincidentally has a mansion in Laos presumably should he have to do a 'Wattana' or a 'Thaksin') are well known to the business community.

Very few would be willing to be involved; companies like CP are some of the few whose colours are known, and thanks to their support the TRT govt were willing to lie to the faces of the EU re chicken flu; create a retail environment for 7:11 to flourish and to do all the various chicken for planes/military aid etc etc deals and now it seems....participate in some rather questionable business practices for rubber saplings, compost, closed system shrimp/chicken production (by slaughtering birds selectively in the bird flu era) and so on. So even few serious business people (and CP are good at what they do all things considered) would want to be part of such a government made up of total morons who have no real credibility.

The battle of the morons (and let's see if Peirrot attempts to repeatedly misquote me again on the use of the word morons) is to get cabinet posts and then quickly share out the booty of the government budget upcoming. Nothing more, nothing less.

How this process relates to democracy I am not sure; I am sure the generousity of the upcountry rural folk in continuing to put the same fine upstanding families into power for the last 20 years will continue to pay dividends greater than just the pride of knowing that their jao por in their jungwat is richer than the one in the jungwat next door.

Until a massive clean up preventing these families from representing their areas is underway (i.e. still a democratic process, just one that makes it a lot harder for the cheats to continue to be elected and offers rural folk real choice) then this is what we are stuck with no matter whether it is a dems govt or a PPP lead govt. Same factions, different shirts.

Can anyone of the resident experts explain to me why Chavalit said, just a few days ago, that he supports new politics where half of parliament is appointed and then the PPP makes him Deputy PM? Does the PPP support new politics as well? There is more going on than meets the eye.

Also, did anyone happen to read the inside source quoted in one of today's newspapers about what this government is really about?

Can anyone of the resident experts explain to me why Chavalit said, just a few days ago, that he supports new politics where half of parliament is appointed and then the PPP makes him Deputy PM? Does the PPP support new politics as well? There is more going on than meets the eye.

Also, did anyone happen to read the inside source quoted in one of today's newspapers about what this government is really about?

Just my opinion: Chavalit speaks very nice about the government and than agree again a little bit with the PAD.

In my opinion he want to get in position for an interim PM who is OK for both sides.

Well that's his idea....

The PPP has no one at all who knows how things run and who is accepted. Chavalit has a lot supporter in the east, so that might be the idea of PPP.

But it is still not sure if he is in the government, or?

I think when people ask what is life without a little excitement, they usually think of this man, the avuncular half boozed idiotic uncle every family seems to have and regrets inviting to a family BBQ.

As with BBQs, the uncle ends up given some job that he screws up, serving drinks or whatever, in a similar way now Chavalit being both inept and (alledgedly) crooked makes the ideal idiot uncle for this most idiotic of cabinets. Although it must be stated he is a well known supporter of Duncan McCargo type theories of patronage and a good pal of Thaksin and thus well suited to fitting in with BFFs Jakapop Penkair et al.

The other theory is that the barrel has been scraped bare, so soon we can expect to see an ad in jobsdb.

Acting deputy finance minister could be promoted

Caretaker Deputy Minister of Finance Suchart Thadadamrongwej (สุชาติ ธาดาธำรงเวช) admits he was courted to take the finance minister post, and he has accepted the invitation already. He expresses confidence that he can work well with new government, and to gain investors’ confidence need sometimes to do so.

Mr. Suchart believes that he will receive well cooperation from the Bank of Thailand (BOT) and other relavent organizations. He says with whomever he had problems, he has forgotten it and will not take those problems personally.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 September 2008

The transgressions and idiocy of guys like Chalerm and Chavalit (the guy who brought Thailand's economy to a standstill in 97 while alledgedly personally ensuring himself and his friends including Thaksin were all immunised from the currency crisis and rumour has it were the chief shortsellers of the baht, and the guy who gave up hundreds of sq km of area to Laos yet coincidentally has a mansion in Laos presumably should he have to do a 'Wattana' or a 'Thaksin') are well known to the business community.

It's not a rumor - its said to be a rumor!

I remember the days very well - for a week he was going on about the floating of the baht - on a friday after 22:00 the public was closed out from the debate - out of government house and further discussions went on behind closed doors!

On Monday it was announced that the baht was "on the float" but in Thailand it was a BANK HOLIDAY!!!!

Since the Baht started heavily to depreciate! And in those days rumors that Shin.Corp. and other Thai-Companies dumped Baht heavily in Hongkong, Singapore and other major Asian Markets!

his time alone Doc's Capital saw a magic doubling...

Very few would be willing to be involved; companies like CP are some of the few whose colours are known, and thanks to their support the TRT govt were willing to lie to the faces of the EU re chicken flu; create a retail environment for 7:11 to flourish and to do all the various chicken for planes/military aid etc etc deals and now it seems....participate in some rather questionable business practices for rubber saplings, compost, closed system shrimp/chicken production (by slaughtering birds selectively in the bird flu era) and so on. So even few serious business people (and CP are good at what they do all things considered) would want to be part of such a government made up of total morons who have no real credibility.

Before the 7/11 deal got settled - the blame was on the major "foreign Super Malls" (like Tesco) to "ruin" the small Thai merchants...only on Samui is now one on almost every corner!

Regarding Chicken flue - remember Doc T. on TV News - biting into a piece of fried chicken?

CP is a golfing mate of Doc T.!

And for sure is Gen.Chavalit good friends with "the Doc", was it when "The Doc" was Minister for Transport & Communication, the Army became it's first Satellite and Shin.Corp the sole user rights of the "public" frequencies.... under Doc's premiership "uncle" was Vice Premier...so it goes since years , if not decades always the same team at work.... only rotating positions and if needed parties!

On this one he never lied "i run this country as the CEO".... they look at it as "their company"...

Edited by Samuian

Deputy Pua Paendin Leader confident internal party conflicts can be resolved

Deputy Leader of the Pua Paendin party Mun Pattanotai (มั่น พันธโนทัย) expressed his belief today that internal conflicts of his party can be resolved in an orderly fashion, but admitted that it would require time to create understanding between the party's leaders.

As for party MPs petitioning to remove party leader Suwit Khunkitti, Mr. Mun said that he believes Mr. Suwit showed a great amount of sacrifice in his decision to relinquish his quota in the new Cabinet. The Deputy Leader was confident that once Mr. Suwit returns and works with the MPs they will be able to move forward together.

Mr. Mun also stated that he has continuously communicated with the Pua Paendin faction seeking to remove the party leader, but is sure that an understanding can be found.

He said the most important issue is to band together in the formation of the government and progress for the nation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 September 2008

I think when people ask what is life without a little excitement, they usually think of this man, the avuncular half boozed idiotic uncle every family seems to have and regrets inviting to a family BBQ.

As with BBQs, the uncle ends up given some job that he screws up, serving drinks or whatever, in a similar way now Chavalit being both inept and (alledgedly) crooked makes the ideal idiot uncle for this most idiotic of cabinets. Although it must be stated he is a well known supporter of Duncan McCargo type theories of patronage and a good pal of Thaksin and thus well suited to fitting in with BFFs Jakapop Penkair et al.

The other theory is that the barrel has been scraped bare, so soon we can expect to see an ad in jobsdb.

There are other theories. There is a lot going on that has made no sense to the point that is beginning to make sense. There are actually some very positive signs, but before I get ahead of myself (and I could be wrong anyway), let's see what the PAD does.

PM's daughter might face graft probe for concealing Bt100 million

Senator Ruangkrai Leekitwatana on Wednesday petitioned for a graft probe on MP Chinnicha Wongsawat, who is the daughter of the prime minister, citing suspicion for asset concealment.

Ruangkrai's petition was lodged with the National Counter Corruption Commission.

Under her obligations as People Power Party MP from Chiang Mai, Chinnicha filed her asset statement on January 22 declaring her net worth of Bt287 million, Ruangkrai said.

Chinnicha has assets worth Bt362 million and liabilities of Bt75 million.

Among her liabilities include bank loans worth Bt74 million and other debts amounting to about Bt1 million.

Ruangkrai said Chinnicha omitted to declare Bt100 million in bank accounts impounded by the Assets Examination Committee.

In trying to release the frozen funds, Chinnicha contends that the money was loaned to finace her businesses by her uncle Bhanapot Damapong. But she has failed to disclose neither the impounded accounts nor the loan transaction in her asset statement.

Source: The Nation - 24 September 2008

PM's daughter might face graft probe for concealing Bt100 million

Senator Ruangkrai Leekitwatana on Wednesday petitioned for a graft probe on MP Chinnicha Wongsawat, who is the daughter of the prime minister, citing suspicion for asset concealment.

Ruangkrai's petition was lodged with the National Counter Corruption Commission.

Under her obligations as People Power Party MP from Chiang Mai, Chinnicha filed her asset statement on January 22 declaring her net worth of Bt287 million, Ruangkrai said.

Chinnicha has assets worth Bt362 million and liabilities of Bt75 million.

Among her liabilities include bank loans worth Bt74 million and other debts amounting to about Bt1 million.

Ruangkrai said Chinnicha omitted to declare Bt100 million in bank accounts impounded by the Assets Examination Committee.

In trying to release the frozen funds, Chinnicha contends that the money was loaned to finace her businesses by her uncle Bhanapot Damapong. But she has failed to disclose neither the impounded accounts nor the loan transaction in her asset statement.

Source: The Nation - 24 September 2008

Its a story we have heard before.

Let me guess, she forgot about this little amount of money when making her asset declaration. I wonder how long it will be before we see that little piece of BS although it did work once before :o

Dont mention Beverly Hills..... The one in Bangkok that is.

The ole Shin clan merrygoround is one hel_l of a ride

from the nation with red modified:

POLICY STATEMENT

Reconciliaton among Govt's priorities

By The Nation

National reconciliation means: get rid of PAD

, advancement of democracymeans: change the constitution so they don't get punished for vote buying and corruption and Thaksin and the other 101 banned TRT members can come into politic again

, resolving border disputes means: get some money

, mega projects means: get big money

, education development means: the list was too short so add something no one can complain about

and safeguarding for world economic volatility are among the key features of the Somchai Wonsawat government's policy statement.

The policies are to be implemented over the three-year period, which is the remaining term of the government, policy drafter Noppadon Patama said on Wednesday.

Noppadon said the government would not touch on the issue of whether to amend the charter.

The policy statement, which will be delivered in Parliament, is to address 14 issues comprising eight main policies, 14 supplementary measures and would be about 28-page long.

On the economic front, the government's priorities include the promotion of foreign investment, the financial access for the underprivileged, the lessening of inflationary pressure and the problems relating to the world economic volatility.

On politics, the government would strive for national reconciliation and the negotiations to resolve border disputes.

The first draft of the policy statement is expected to complete by Friday.

The Nation

Edited by h90

from the nation with red modified:

POLICY STATEMENT

Reconciliaton among Govt's priorities

By The Nation

National reconciliation means: get rid of PAD

, advancement of democracymeans: change the constitution so they don't get punished for vote buying and corruption and Thaksin and the other 101 banned TRT members can come into politic again

, resolving border disputes means: get some money

, mega projects means: get big money

, education development means: the list was too short so add something no one can complain about

and safeguarding for world economic volatility are among the key features of the Somchai Wonsawat government's policy statement.

The policies are to be implemented over the three-year period, which is the remaining term of the government, policy drafter Noppadon Patama said on Wednesday.

Noppadon said the government would not touch on the issue of whether to amend the charter.

The policy statement, which will be delivered in Parliament, is to address 14 issues comprising eight main policies, 14 supplementary measures and would be about 28-page long.

On the economic front, the government's priorities include the promotion of foreign investment, the financial access for the underprivileged, the lessening of inflationary pressure and the problems relating to the world economic volatility.

On politics, the government would strive for national reconciliation and the negotiations to resolve border disputes.

The first draft of the policy statement is expected to complete by Friday.

The Nation

Look who the drafter is. This is getting $%#@!^& surreal. He must have done a good job running Thai foreign policy entirely directed to ensure Mr. T got his little Cambodian concessions. The poodle boy is back.....

Judge to the defendant:

J.: "so you lied about your assets?"

D: "no I didn't"

J: " but you tried to conceal these assets, you are not supposed to hold if you are a Politician"?

D: "no I didn't know, I had so much!"

J: "you didn't know?"

D: "No, who is going to count every day his money , evaluated his assets?"

J: " Don't tell us You didn't know!"

D: "But I didn't!"

J: "then you may have lied"?

D: "Well, ehem... No not really, what I said was honest, an honest lie, Sir!"

It shows how honest things can be with some.... people if it comes to money...

"little Chinnicha" looks so honest anyway...who wouldn't trust that "little cutie"?

I remember the days very well - for a week he was going on about the floating of the baht - on a friday after 22:00 the public was closed out from the debate - out of government house and further discussions went on behind closed doors!

On Monday it was announced that the baht was "on the float" but in Thailand it was a BANK HOLIDAY!!!!

Since the Baht started heavily to depreciate! And in those days rumors that Shin.Corp. and other Thai-Companies dumped Baht heavily in Hongkong, Singapore and other major Asian Markets!

his time alone Doc's Capital saw a magic doubling...

Actually, i must say this must be, if there is one clear thing, the straw that must annoy the so called BKK Elite (which is basically every major Thai corporate and a few large state owned enterprises); they were absolutely taken to the cleaners while Thaksin got away completely scot free and able to effectively watch his competitors saddled under enormous debt including SCB and other crown property/companies thanks to his alleged prime BFF (best friend forever) status with Chavalit and the other crooks in charge at that time leading to insider trading against the baht.

Everyone knows AIS were on the inside of that deal, it surely is more than a rumour; I've had so many off the record conversations with private bankers about the short sell deals - then the audacity for our pal Thaksin to claim it was Soros fault!!!

Now that's comedy.

Edited by steveromagnino

Official Cabinet line-up

By The Nation

Published on September 24, 2008

Following is the offiical list of members of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's Cabinet.

Prime Minister and Defence Minister

Somchai Wongsawat

Deputy Prime Ministers

Olarn Chaipravat

Chavalit Yongchaiyudh

Chaovarat Chanweerakul

Sanan Kachornprasart

Sompong Amornwiwat (also Foreign Minister)

PM's Office Ministers

Sukhumpong Ngonkham

Supon Fongngam

Finance Minister

Suchart Thadathamrongvech

Deputy Finance Ministers

Pradit Pataraprasit

Ranongrak Suwanchawee

Transport Minister

Santi Prompat

Deputy Transport Ministers

Sophon Salum

Varawut Silapa-archa

Interior Minister

Kowit Watana

Deputy Interior Ministers

Prasong Kositanon

Preecha Rengsomboonsuk

Commerce Minister

Chaiya Sasomsap

Deputy Commerce Ministers

Banyin Tangpakorn

Songkram Kijlertpairote

Industry Minister

Pracha Promnok

Energy Minister

Wannarat Charnnukul

Agriculture Minister

Somsak Prissanananthakul

Deputy Agriculture Ministers

Sompat Kaewpijit

Theerachai Saenkaew

Public Health Minister

Chalerm Yoobamrung

Deputy Health Minister

Wicharn Meenchainant

Education Minister

Srimuang Chareonsiri

Justice Minister

Somsak Kiartsuranont

Social Development and Human Security Minister

Udomdet Rattanasathien

Natural Resources and Environment Minister

Anongwan ThepsuthIn

Information and Communications Technology Minister

Mun Patanotai

Science Minister

Wutthipong Chaisang

Labour Minister

Uraiwan Thienthong

Culture Minister

Worawat Uaapinyakul

Tourism and Sports Minister

Weerasak Kowsurat

===============================================

His Majesty the King endorse new Cabinet list

His Majesty the King Wednesday endorsed the Cabinet of the Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

His Majesty signed a royal command to endorse the Cabinet list late afternoon.

- The Nation

a bold trend in the new Cabinet... :o

Thailand announces new Cabinet led by Thaksin's brother-in-law

(Kyodo / 2008-09-24) A newly endorsed Cabinet led by Somchai Wongsawat, a brother-in-law of ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, was announced Wednesday after being formally endorsed by King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Somchai, 61, a deputy leader of the ruling People Power Party, began his political career after retirement as top bureaucrat at the Labor Ministry two years ago.

His wife, Yaowapa, who is Thaksin's younger sister, has been banned from politics for five years since last year as she and Thaksin were among the 111 executives of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party barred after the party was outlawed.

Despite a soft-spoken character and being well-respected as a former career judge, Somchai is seen by some as just another proxy of Thaksin, who is now lives in exile with his wife and three children in Britain.

Somchai appointed people close to Thaksin to the portfolios of foreign affairs, finance and interior.

Suchart Thadathamrongvej, 56, who was named finance minister, taught economics at a public university in Bangkok and is said to have been one of Thaksin's advisers for years. Last Sunday, Suchart was elected as leader of the Puea Thai Party, a new party founded because the PPP, of which former Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej still serves as the leader, might be disbanded for election fraud by one of its executives.

Specializing in public finance, Suchart was appointed as a deputy finance minister in the Samak-led Cabinet only last month.

Veteran Sompong Amornvivat, 67, was named foreign minister and also a deputy premier. He was one of the founding members of the Thai Rak Thai Party, was an adviser to the prime minister from 2001 to 2005 and was briefly Thailand's trade representative from 2005-2006. Sompong was a minister in several other ministries, including industry and labor. He was deputy prime minister and justice minister under Samak.

Another key appointment is Olarn Chaipravat, 63, who was named as deputy prime minister with the expectation of supervising economic policies. Olarn is a former president of Thailand's oldest commercial bank -- Siam Commercial -- and has been a board member of Shinawatra University, under Thaksin's chairmanship.

Somchai kept for himself the Defense Ministry portfolio and retained Kowit Wattana as interior minister.

More bold news...

Ousted PM's allies leads new Thai government

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - Thailand's new government was sworn in Wednesday, with key positions going to allies of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a move unlikely to ease the country's political crisis.

The new Cabinet list, announced on national television, is led by Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, who will also be the defense minister.

Somchai, 61, is the brother-in-law of Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 military coup. Somchai replaced Samak Sundaravej, who was forced from office two weeks ago by a court that ruled his hosting a TV cooking show while in office was a conflict of interest.

Samak's resignation had been demanded for weeks by protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy, which accused Samak of acting as Thaksin's proxy. The court action was not directly related to the alliance's demands.

Despite the new government, the protesters have refused to end their month-long siege of the prime minister's office compound. Somchai has been forced to set up temporary office elsewhere.

The most powerful ministries in the new Cabinet of defense, interior, finance and foreign affairs went to Thaksin's trusted allies and close advisers.

Thaksin, a billionaire telecommunications tycoon, was toppled by a Sept. 19, 2006 coup after months of demonstrations led by the same protest alliance, which demanded he step down because of alleged corruption and abuse of power. He and several members of his family face several corruption-related criminal prosecutions.

Analysts said the new Cabinet list is unlikely to solve the current political crisis.

"The Cabinet list is unlikely to inspire confidence or prolong the life of the government amid economic and political challenges," Panithan Wattanayagorn, a political scientist at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University. "Many are picked to appease the coalition parties and not for their qualifications."

Among the Thaksin allies in the new Cabinet is Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat, who was Thaksin's boyhood classmate. Scion of a family of policemen and northern Thai politicians, Sompong will be the fourth foreign minister since Samak's elected government came into power in February.

Another close ally of Thaksin, Chalerm Yoobamrung, became health minister.

The finance ministry went to Suchart Thadathamrongvech, an economic adviser in Thaksin's administration.

Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, 77, a former prime minister and military chief with a long, sometimes turbulent career in politics, will be a deputy prime minister. Seen as a potential negotiator with the protesters, he also served as a deputy prime minister under Thaksin.

Police General Kowit Watana, 61, the former Police Chief under Thaksin's premiership, will remain as the interior minister.

New Thai cabinet unveiled, seen as short-lived

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand unveiled a new cabinet on Wednesday, bringing in a brewer as foreign minister and an ex-police captain as health minister, prompting critics to dismiss it as second-rate and unlikely to last long.

Suchart Thadathamrongvej, once a junior World Bank economist, was promoted to finance minister from the deputy position in the previous government, a post from which he launched a series of attacks on the central bank's interest rate policy.

Sompong Amornwiwat, a veteran politician who used to run his wife's family brewery, became foreign minister, a key role ahead of a regional summit hosted by Thailand in December to discuss economic and security issues.

Another surprising name in the list published on Wednesday was Chalerm Yubamrung, a former interior minister whose son was controversially acquitted of killing a policeman in a bar brawl in 2001. Chalerm has returned in charge of health.

Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, a former army chief better known as the prime minister who presided over the disastrous 1997 devaluation of the baht, made a curious return as a deputy prime minister without portfolio.

Analysts said Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's new cabinet was a result of the "political mathematics" emanating from the six parties in the ruling coalition vying for ministerial posts.

"How many MPs you have is more important than how qualified you are for the job," political scientist Boonyakiat Karavekphan of Bangkok's Ramkhamhaeng University said.

Somchai, a brother-in-law of ousted leader Thaksin Shinawatra, became Thailand's 26th prime minister last week after his predecessor, Samak Sundaravej, was sacked by the courts for hosting a cooking show on commercial television while in office.

In a bid to counter cries that Thaksin was pulling the strings from Britain, where he is in exile after skipping bail on corruption charges, Somchai said he personally oversaw the selection of most of the ministers.

However, most analysts believe the cabinet will last only a few months before internecine rows, lawsuits, stuttering economic growth and the continued occupation of Government House by street protesters bring it to its knees.

"I would call it a new interim government," Chulalongkorn University analyst Sompop Manarangsan said.

The biggest threat to Somchai's People Power Party (PPP) is a case before the Constitutional Court alleging it bought votes in the 2007 general election. A verdict is expected before the end of the year.

If found guilty, as is widely expected, the PPP will be disbanded and its top brass barred from politics for five years.

Bracing for a guilty verdict, the PPP has already lined up a "shell" party into which all non-banned politicians can move in order to contest the general election that is almost certain to ensue.

Edited by sriracha john

Judge to the defendant:

J.: "so you lied about your assets?"

D: "no I didn't"

J: " but you tried to conceal these assets, you are not supposed to hold if you are a Politician"?

D: "no I didn't know, I had so much!"

J: "you didn't know?"

D: "No, who is going to count every day his money , evaluated his assets?"

J: " Don't tell us You didn't know!"

D: "But I didn't!"

J: "then you may have lied"?

D: "Well, ehem... No not really, what I said was honest, an honest lie, Sir!"

It shows how honest things can be with some.... people if it comes to money...

"little Chinnicha" looks so honest anyway...who wouldn't trust that "little cutie"?

Oh, I didn't have it anymore!

the Assets Examination Committee took UNCLE THAKSIN'S,

er Damanholepot's, MONEY FROM ME AND FROZE IT,

It was too cold for me to count... (winsome smile)

Edited by animatic

untitled354242.jpg

New Cabinet to be sworn in Thursday: Yaowapha

Yaowapha Wongsawat, the wife of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, said Wednesday that members of the new Cabinet will be granted an audience with His Majesty the King on Thursday to be sworn in.

She said the Cabinet members will have a group photo at the Don Muang military airport.

- The Nation / 2008-09-25

95416_5706334lowthumb3.jpg

Missing debt

A 100 Million Baht debt is missing from the assets declaration by Chinicha Wongsawat, daughter of Prime Minister Somchai, Senator Ruangkrai Leekijwattana yesterday told the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC). He said the People Power Party MP breached asset reporting requirements after she won the Dec 23 general elections. The loan was taken out from Bannapot Damapong, a brother of Potjaman Shinawatra, wife of Thaksin Shinawatra. Chinicha said earlier the debts were taken out to fund various businesses. Her mother is Yaowapha, a younger sister of Thaksin. Chinicha declared assets of 287 million baht, after subtracting 229,546 baht in an overdrawn bank account, and 74 million baht worth of bank loans and other debts, amounting to 743,766 baht. Chinicha declined

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/250908_News/25Sep2008_news25.php

Edited by sriracha john

New cabinet falls far short of expectations

The right men have not been given the right jobs in the new Cabinet formed by PM Somchai. Doubts surround the qualifications and experience of some Cabinet ministers. And a crisis of faith in the government is looming as rumours persist of certain politicians and outsiders attempting to buy the Cabinet. The PM should not sit idle while such damaging rumours are circulating; he must act swiftly and clarify the matter ASAP. Before the Cabinet was formed, Somchai insisted the new ministers and deputies would be well qualified with the relevant experience to do their jobs properly. But the cabinet revealed yesterday does not live up to the PM's promises. The controversial selections include Chalerm Yoobamrung, Sompong Amornvivat, Warawut Silpa-archa, Worawat Ua-apinyakul and Srimuang Charoensiri. Chalerm returns to the administration as Public Health Minister. Sompong is appointed Foreign Minister and Warawut, the only son of Chart Thai Party Leader Banharn, is the Deputy Transport Minister. Worawat, a Phrae MP for the PPP with close ties to former Deputy Party Leader Yongyuth Tiyapairat and the PM's wife Yaowapa, is the Culture Minister. Srimuang, a PPP party-list MP and former leading member of the pro-Thaksin group of Senators, scored the Education portfolio. Chalerm has never shown any interest in health affairs in his entire political career. His return raises the question, will he bring his controversial son Wan - formerly Mr Happy Toilet - back into the Ministry? Warawut takes over as Deputy Transport Minister position from Anurak Jureemart, a major financier of the Chart Thai Party. But he does not look experienced enough to be a Cabinet minister, even though he may be competent. He needs more experience as an MP. Worawat represents a group of northern MPs in the Somchai cabinet. In the second cabinet reshuffle of the Samak government, he had been expected to replace former PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair, who resigned in the face of public pressure after being charged with lese majeste. Worawat has been a vocal campaigner in the push for a joint House committee to start the process of rewriting the charter. He often publicly attacked independent bodies set up under this constitution. His qualification to oversee the Culture Ministry is questionable. Srimuang, who has a background in engineering, is believed to have secured the Education portfolio thanks to backing from fugitive former PM Thaksin. These five ministers are examples of politicians who can seemingly achieve positions of power regardless of their suitability for the job. The public should

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/250908_News/25Sep2008_news04.php

Thailand was once second to none ... but we have slipped

Former PM Chavalit Yongchaiyudh has been appointed Deputy PM in the Somchai Cabinet, tasked with three urgent matters: reconciling with the PAD, settling the border dispute between Thailand and Cambodia, and tackling southern unrest. General Chavalit spoke to Bangkok Post.

Why have you accepted the post of Deputy prime minister, when you used to lead the government?

I want to work for the country; even one day of my time is worth it. In the past, Thailand was second to none [in the region]. No countries could compete against us. Why did our leaders let the country slide backwards? Now, we can compete with only Cambodia and Burma. How could we dare to face up to our ancestors?

How long will the government stay in office?

It depends on our achievements. If the government performs well and works for the public, it can stay longer and continue its work.

As a senior political figure, how will you work? Will members of the government listen to you?

I don't care whether others listen to me or not. The main issue is whether we can solve the country's problems or not. I believe the disputes which occurred are urgent issues. If we can identify the the root causes, we can begin tackling the disputes at their origins.

What do think about the PAD's 'new politics' proposal?

It is a new political system that will overcome political problems. Several groups of people have tried to push for it. It's a version of people's politics in which the country is ruled by the people and for the people.

Interview continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/250908_News/25Sep2008_news05.php

"The Pointer"...

images1-1.jpg

images2-1.jpg

images3.jpg

images4.jpg

images5.jpg

At some point during the traditional Thai police crime scene recreations, someone is inevitably photographed pointing at something. It's a shame there aren't any of The Pointer at the Bangkok pub where a policeman was shot point-blank in the head in a cold-blooded murder.

Edited by sriracha john

the Somchai I Cabinet... non-productive, ineffective, and short-lived....

Factions team up after failing to secure seats

Factions within the PPP which failed to secure Cabinet seats were reportedly teaming up to heap pressure on the Somchai government. Members of the group led by Newin Chibchob and those aligned to Sora-at Klinprathum met yesterday following the official Cabinet line-up announcement. They were also joined by the Ban Rim Nam group of the Puea Pandin Party. Their members, including Boonlue Prasertsopa, Pongsakorn Annopporn, Songsak Thongsri, were not appointed to the Cabinet. Their meeting centered on their strategy to rock the government, a source in the group said. An early sign of pressure was detected yesterday at the deliberation in the House of the anti-money laundering bill sponsored by the Cabinet. The House was forced to postpone a vote in the first reading of the bill as faction members reportedly used the no-show to threaten the government. "This is a way to say that this phenomenon might occur in a crucial debate on government policy or in a no confidence debate if these factions are still ignored," said a PPP source. The PM yesterday played golf with Sora-at's group in in an apparent bid to clear the air. However Boonlue, a member of Sora-at's faction, played down the meeting, saying it was in preparation for the government's policy statement to be delivered in the House. Pongpan Sunthornchai, a member of Newin's group, yesterday voiced disappointment at the Cabinet line-up, saying there were too many Deputy Prime Minister posts. Pongpan claimed that he had been promised a cabinet seat. "I do not understand why we have so many Deputy Prime Ministers. The Education ministry, which supervises hundreds of thousands of teachers, has only one minster," he said. But a rift in the Friends of Newin group widened when a member yesterday called on Newin to keep his hands off the group and the PPP. Chaiya Promma said it was time for Newin to step away and allow MPs a free hand in

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/250908_News/25Sep2008_news07.php