Thai Abandons Hot Meals On Regional Flights

thaigene2

Like many of you, I travel quite a bit in and out of the Kingdom on business - mostly to other regional cities. THAI has the best flights usually and they are a Star Alliance partner - so it makes sense to use them.

However, I noticed during the last couple of months that the 'cold lunchbox' usually only seen on Domestic Flights was a common sight on international flights around east and southeast asia. So I asked the flight attendant (privately) why that was the case - even on long journeys (e.g. Hanoi or Ho Chin Minh to BKK).

She said a recent policy was announced that dropped hot food from all flights in Southeast Asia - actually she said under 2 hours. This is regardless of the time of your flight. So in other words, if you struggled to get to the airport along the slow roads of so many SE Asian cities at say 5pm for a 6pm check-in and a 7.30 pm flight, you won't be getting a meal.

What is it with THAI? They never pay for a gate for regional flights, we always end up riding a bus for ten minutes to get to the terminal, then walk for miles to immigration, and now they're making us go hungry. May as well settle for AirAsia or one of the other cheapos.

The problem with no hot food is that it means you either eat really early before you leave for most airports (as they have very little choice for food at the terminals) or you eat really late after you've arrived at destination (and cleared immigration, collected your bags, cleared customs, etc etc).

Poor service seems to be dogging THAI. They are just a shadow of their former self. I guess dropping that New York run after so loudly bragging about it a year or so earlier should have been the tell-tale sign these guys are in big trouble. What kind of international airline has only one flight to the USA?

What kind of cold food is on the menu? The problem is not that you'll go hungry, it's that you won't eat it.

No I'll eat it - but it's either an 'ice-cream' scoop of tuna and two sliced tomato or 3 mini shrimps/prawns and three small pieces of chicken and some green beans - a light snack at best. But if your flight is during any standard meal time like Noon or 8pm (with travel and all the other hassles either side of the flight itself) there's little time to have a meal and little choice at most airports prior to departure or on arrival anyway (except BKK - good selection on that ground-side mezanine level). My point is if you have an early or late evening flight and want a meal, you'll have to do so before you leave your hotel at like 4pm or whatever, or 10 or 11pm at the airport or your new hotel/home on arrival - and only if you can find any (again BKK airport is an exception to most other than HKG and Changi).

price of the flight is the concern, not if they serve me a meal. If I am that concerned with eating I can always brings smth with me.

I agree. That's why I'll be having another look at Air Asia, Tiger, etc. Although I don't really like Air Asia, if THAI can't give me a meal or a gate at departure/arrival (instead of 10 minute bus ride to/from the plane), then I may as well save myself some money - and spend it on a meal before/after the flight (..if I can find a place that's open) or buy something hot and bring it on the plane..