What Color Tee Shirts To Bring To Los?

NancyL

Hi ladies! This is my first post, but I've been lurking for over two years! Hubby and I vacationed in Thailand several times during last 25 years. We spent a month in Chiang Mai in 2006, "pretending" we were retirees instead of tourists to see if we'd like Thailand for long-term living. We returned to the US excited about prospect of moving to Thailand and have spent last two years closing down our business, getting rid of our personal stuff and, in general, wrapping up our working life to retire to LOS.

We're leaving November 14th! Oh, it's so close and we're so excited! Based on what we learned from the ThaiVisa forum and talks with expats we met in CM, we plan to bring very little with us. Just a couple of cartons shipped ahead and what we can check as airline luggage. I do plan to get a few new ladies tee shirts from Lands End. I love the fit and they can be dressed up nicely with scarves. Plus, the short sleeve ones are on sale this time of year!

When we were in CM in 2006 everyone was wearing yellow shirts in honor of the King. Is that still popular, or has the wearing of yellow shirts taken on a different political meaning lately? Also, I learned from this forum that I need a pink shirt, to wear upon discharge if I'm ever in the hospital. What about other colors? What is the official color of mourning -- white or black? I know that Thais assign a color to each day of the week, with your "color" being the one for your day of birth. So, should I figure out the color for Wednesday (my day of birth) and bring that too? Hubby says I'm obsessing too much about this, but I figured since I'm going to order 4 or 5 tee shirts, I might was well put some thought into the colors.

I know, again from this forum, that there was quite a run on yellow shirts in Thailand in 2005-2006 and then later on pink shirts, when the King was photographed leaving the hospital sporting a nice knit pink shirt under his natty blue blazer. Turns out pink is considered a good color to wear when leaving the hospital.

I know the ladies of this forum are very helpful and I look forward to your thoughts. Many thanks.

Yeah, seems like your husband is right. Just bring whatever you feel comfortable in. I guess in November you'd have to wear black for a few days anyway. I did not follow the dress code (except mourning periods) and never had any problems. Of course it is different if you work for the government. Just enjoy Thailand and be who you are. People really appreciate that more than pretending...

Agreed, I never follow the color days, its not something that I necessarily believe in. You should have one black shirt to wear to funerals in case someone you know dies but other than that, I buy colors I like :o

check out the thread of things you will need --might give you some good ideas there

I can understand you are feeling a little pressured by Thai culture. They like everyone to conform and keep in social step. Thais have generally been brainwashed to follow the leader , the socially accepted norm. Don't let them intimidate you. It's your right to be an individual. Your husband's about right.

Edited by barky

There is no need to wear these shirts. It's been two years since the yellow shirts started and it seems to be calming down a bit (thankfully!) People dressing all in the same color everywhere seems a bit like being surrounded by a strange cult. I don't think that foreigners wearing a certain color shirt makes them fit in with Thais if that is why you are thinking about this. A foreigner in a yellow shirt is not really viewed much differently by Thais, some might figure out that you are not on holiday, but speaking Thai works better for that.

After spending 12 years in private girl boarding school in BKK.

We girls had learned what color goes with what day:

Monday - yellow ( se lueng)

Tuesday - pink ( se chom-poo)

Wedsday - green ( se keow)

Thursday - Orange ( se sadd)

Friday - blue (se far)

Saturday - purple (se muang)

Sunday - red (se daeng)

Be practical, wear all light color, the dark one seems to attract mosquitos and absorb the heat.

Yep, when I was a teacher here I had a shirt for every day of the week. It is not necessary for anyone who is not required to by work or school though - wear what you want!

If you really feel the need though, pink is the new yellow (in terms of Thai superstition as it was the colour the King was suggested to wear on the day he came out of hospital) and to my mind a lot more flattering than that ghastly pastel yellow. Thai's will love it if you choose to do it. Also a safe bet for an interview or such like if you are unsure about what to wear.

Thanks for all the great info, especially the list Tink! I think I'll get a new yellow shirt, also pink, green (my birth color), black (for funerals) and probably blue (I like blue & Fridays). I'll also get hubby new yellow, pink and black shirts. He'll kick & scream about the pink, but may thank me some day.

Yellow shirts were a big deal when we last visited in 2006. I read on this forum how hard it was to find them in LOS, so we brought them with us. We wore them on the flight, under our blazers. Our NW Airlines flight attendant on the Tokoyo-BKK leg was Thai. She saw the shirts and asked if we liked their king. We said we did and how much we were looking forward to our visit. It was our 30th wedding anniversary. She gifted us with an unopened bottle of very good wine, lifted from 1st class. I figure those shirts paid for themselves!

Koo82, I'd wondered if the wearing of yellow had taken on a political meaning. Sounds like it has. Red, too, I guess. I'm not a fan of red, so no danger in my wearing that color. Don't own anything that's red. I really don't like yellow either -- not too many people actually look good in yellow, but I've got a new yellow tee shirt on order. I think I might just chuck all the concern about significance of color and wear a flowered dress for the flight to LOS in November and sort out all the politics of clothing color once I'm in Chiang Mai.

wore them on the flight, under our blazers. Our NW Airlines flight attendant on the Tokoyo-BKK leg was Thai. She saw the shirts and asked if we liked their king. We said we did and how much we were looking forward to our visit. It was our 30th wedding anniversary. She gifted us with an unopened bottle of very good wine, lifted from 1st class. I figure those shirts paid for themselves!

And what exactly did you know about their King that made you like him?

Nancy,

For me personally, if the PAD is still illegally sleeping in the Government House, I won't wear yellow.

I love pink most as we look very feminine it it.

Here's a copy of an email someone forwarded to me:

You flaunt colours in various ways. They don't just jazz up your outfits but can even boost your mood. Hues play very important roles in our lives. Here's how...

GIVE ME RED

A powerful colour, red is associated with liveliness, ambition and anger. It can help overcome negative thoughts. However, too much of the colour can make you impatient. Strike the balance!

OH ORANGE!

The colour represents joy. It can stimulate the mind and renew your interest in life. A great antidepressant, it also helps you cheer up.

SAY YES TO YELLOW

Yellow is a happy colour. It uplifts your mood. Associated with the intellectual aspect of your mind, it helps you make wise decisions and boosts your selfconfidence. It also helps you develop an optimistic attitude.

TURQUOISE TALES

Turquoise helps you feel fresh and get rid of mental strain. It also enhances creativity and communication.

GO GREEN

Sharing strong affinity with nature, the colour green helps you connect with the natural world. It also creates a feeling of comfort and calm.

WHITE MAGIC

White represents purity and ushers peace and comfort into your life. It also helps cleanse your thoughts and gives you a sense of freedom.

GOLD GYAAN

Associated with the sun, gold leads to abundance and wisdom. It's very revitalising, it's energising and it helps you get rid of depression.

Hubby says I'm obsessing too much about this,

the poor chap is correct

He'll kick & scream about the pink, but may thank me some day.

i doubt it.

taxexiles tip ....

TURQUOISE TALES

Turquoise helps you feel fresh and get rid of mental strain.

good luck with the packing.

Friday - blue (se far)

Sunday - red (se daeng)

Sorry when I read the Thai part "se sadd", is the color orange for Thursday?

I join the local aerobic club in the afternoon. They do follow the color theme. On Thursday, they wear very bright green (high light green). I see them wear orange also and forget for which day. A bit confused as I go on and off.

Thanks

personally, i find the 'sheep' attitude that many thais choose to take a bit off putting. this yellow t shirt on mondays thing is, to me, just like a form of brain washing. i dont like it myself.

to the OP, i would not stress what colour t shirts to bring with you. bring ones that you like, that you feel comfortable in, and that will wash well. the colour is not important. wearing specific t shirts on specific days wont make you any more accepted by locals.

do it for yourself, not anyone else.

Friday - blue (se far)

Sunday - red (se daeng)

Sorry when I read the Thai part "se sadd", is the color orange for Thursday?

I join the local aerobic club in the afternoon. They do follow the color theme. On Thursday, they wear very bright green (high light green). I see them wear orange also and forget for which day. A bit confused as I go on and off.

Thanks

Hi 'Koo82'

Not every Thai knows color coordinates with the day. Most Thais may be know few colors to go with what days of the week. Ignorant ? Or some believe in wearing a certain color bring them good luck ?

Whatever you do, do wear orange ( se sadd) on Thursday with confidence. :D

Side note: Whenever I'm back home in BKK, most my clothings are in light colors to keep me a little cool in tropical heat. :o

personally, i find the 'sheep' attitude that many thais choose to take a bit off putting. this yellow t shirt on mondays thing is, to me, just like a form of brain washing. i dont like it myself.

agreed. it seems all over asia individuality is discouraged.

Not every Thai knows color coordinates with the day. Most Thais may be know few colors to go with what days of the week. Ignorant ? Or some believe in wearing a certain color bring them good luck ?

Whatever you do, do wear orange ( se sadd) on Thursday with confidence. :o

Hi Tinkelbell,

Thank you. Is "se sadd" same as "se som"?

agreed. it seems all over asia individuality is discouraged.

Farangs seem to be more independent. Many will do what they want and don't give a shat what others think. Is that one of the reasons the "i" (in I am) is always a capitalized "I"?

Whatever you do, do wear orange ( se sadd) on Thursday with confidence. :D

Hi Tinkelbell,

Thank you. Is "se sadd" same as "se som"?

Koo82, you got it right, 'se sadd' is the same as 'se som'.

Some Thai may not know what 'se sadd' looks like, so they say ' se som' ( from orange juice = Thai ' naam som' ), then they got the picture how 'se sadd' looks

like.

I'm also into believing the colors can boost your mood :D ( as you had kindly mentioned above). This may have something to do with the boarding school I grew up with. The owner was Prince Kasemsri, we us girls had to deal with certain color to put on an annual stage school play on this auspicious day. :o

Might sounds funny, my favorite color is Turquoise ( just love those native american indian jewelry, never seem enough :D ), but from my ovserving, I always get complement when I'm wearing red or royal blue :D .

What's your's ?

Tinkelbel,

Thanks for the se sadd explanation.

Seems like people around here don't comment what color goes best with me. My husband never comments too but when I wear a blouse covering my neck and having sleeve :D , either pink or white, he says I look good. So style is more important than color I bet.

Somehow I like "sad & quiet" colors like gray and dark blue. I'm not worried when the dogs play with me with their muddy hands. I'm not worried when I chop bones into small pcs for cooking. And I get no stares from strangers :D .

Once in the market, a mentally disordered man said my "sua thar le" (beach cotton shirt) looks good and another time, in the other market, a woman (having mental problem I guess) asked ("khor" in Thai) for my cotton long pants with mixed colors I was wearing.

There's a touching topic recently about these people :o . They're very pity. Naturally I avoid them. They don't harm me but who knows? They can't control what they say and do anyway.

quoted from 'koo82'........Seems like people around here don't comment what color goes best with me. My husband never comments too but when I wear a blouse covering my neck and having sleeve :( , either pink or white, he says I look good. So style is more important than color I bet.

................................................................................

Koo82,

Seems like your husband loves you very much and wants to keep this treasure (YOU)for himself. How could he lets you suffer in this tropical heat :D by encouraging you to wear a blouse covering your neck and sleevs. :o I said this because you list your location :Thailand.

The only reason that holds me back from moving to spend my retirement in TL is ....weather. :D:D Actually, I have perfect sets up for a decent life in TL, but it's so dammed hot that I had to keep myself in air conditioned building 24/7. :D

Not much a life here for an outdoors lover like me. :D

I'm looking into Petchabun...Pai...or Phuket. But they're quite far from BKK where my siblings....relatives....old friends from my boarding school and Thammasart. This is where I hang out with during my entire trip back home.

Now about Thais don't like to give compliment your clothing. Do you feel better if I teld you the true.....I never even once get any compliment from the Thai. I only got from people in the US everywhere..... in restaurant, hotel, beach, carnival, cruise etc.

I feel the Americans are very generous of their compliments, they would drop 'sweet talk' on friends or strangers at every chance they got .

My Thai cousin (who just move to the US a few years ago) asked me an advice how to return a compliment when someone just gave her one. I told her that I always return compliment with......Thank you, I'm glad you like my taste, or .........I like what you wearing too, may be we could switch, or....Thanks for making my day...etc

This's been going on for many years. At the end of my trip in TL, many of my friends, relatives would ask (Thai= khor) or borrow (Thai= khor-yeurm) my dresses, tops, walking shorts ( golf's length), sun hat,

skirts, shoes, everything in my luggagesetc, down to my bathing suits, which I'm glad to let them have it.

The point of this story is Thais may be like what you wearing, but they don't like to say or admit it. Peculiar culture indeed.

Tinkelbell,

I thought you were Thai :o since you know so well what color for each day and you said you wore them in school.

We live in rural area with plenty of trees and plants around. I seldom turn on the air con. I can't stand the "artificial air" :D Also I can save at least 1,000 Baht per month for not sleeping with air con often. :D

He doesn't like me to show my body actually :D When I tell him I have skin problems because of the strong sun, he always jokes me. He never wears a cap when going out on motorbike.

I agree that those farangs I met are very generous with their compliments. Sometimes I think they just want to be polite. Once a Thai said to me I wore a nice blouse, I replied "khob khun ka" and she was about to repeat the compliment. She expected to me say "Really. Is it nice?"

Someone has told me a secret. So the other day, my lady friend sent me photos of her new hair style and asked if she looked better. To be honest I like long hair and didn't like her short hair. But I just said it looked good and she looked younger. She decided to cut her hair short (because of the heat I bet) and was happy with that, so why did I need to shut off her happiness? :D It doesn't harm to say that white lie anyway :(

Hi koo82,

I'm all 100% Thai, born and raised in BKK. :P

Because of my marriage to an American ( college sweetheart, really), his job took both of us to several overseas countries. We spend most of the last two decades living in the US. Yet still manage to come home to TL annually, sometimes twice a year to attend the wedding :( or funeral. :D

Where you live sounds very nice, lot of green. I love to be outdoor, so naturally I'm not thrilled to spend my days in a/c all the time. But my respiration does not agree well with BKK air. I always get iching throat...watering eyes... spliting headache etc. :D:D:o

Nice to know that you have learned how to get along with the Thais......a little white lie goes a long way ( especially when it uses by women to women, I do it all the time to make someone happy). That moving you one step closer to live in a harmony.

Wish you & your husband a long happy life in TL. :D:D

Tink