Fresh Indian Cooking Ingredients

wine-o

I'm currently on an Indian cuisine cooking tangent but am missing the following, anyone knows where these could be found?

fresh curry leaves

fresh fenugreek (leaves and seeds)

asafoetida

mustard seeds

I know Rimping has the pre-made pastes etc, but find it more fun to experiment from scratch :o .

Thx in advance,

wine-o

I'm currently on an Indian cuisine cooking tangent but am missing the following, anyone knows where these could be found?

fresh curry leaves

fresh fenugreek (leaves and seeds)

asafoetida

mustard seeds

I know Rimping has the pre-made pastes etc, but find it more fun to experiment from scratch :o .

Thx in advance,

there is a place inside wororot market,in the building to the right side coming from chiangmoi,all indian spices

wine-o

there is a place inside wororot market,in the building to the right side coming from chiangmoi,all indian spices

Yes. If you have the fortitude to make a search of this forum, there are more detailed instructions somewhere. If not, just get to Wororot and ask. If you don't speak sufficient Thai, there's enough English between the stall holders there to get you pointed to the right spot.

I got my green cadamom there once, there's certainly a small place in the Wororot area but not inside the market itself.

If you've notice the 7 Eleven store at the corner, just before you reach that intersection

the shop should be on you left. It's really small and difficult to spot. Run by an Indian guy who

speaks Thai.  

u would certainly not get fresh curry and fenugreek leaves in chiang mai. asafoetida also not available.

I fear Tigerbeer may be correct there. (They don't grow on trees, you know :o .) But the chap at the market would be the best bet, so far as I know.

By the way, I have asked him if his family has considered a restaurant (it's the scent of those spices). He says there aren't enough people to run one; also that a restaurant beginning wth A (??Asama ?) in Anusarn market is not bad but you must tell them you like it spicy.

• 10 years later...

The guy at worowot market is massively overpriced - for example he wanted 1600thb for a kg of black cardamom. I went to the local market round the back of my house and found it there for 800thb per kg. 

As for the ingredients you need fenugreek is surprisingly available in the makro close to central festival as are mustard seeds. Curry leaves never seen them in CM, something that is pretty unique to South Asian foods. Hing is used by Jain's and Hare Krishnas, amongst other, as a garlic/onion alternative. I have never seen it in CM but untill you find some just use garlic/onion paste in your cooking.