Best Visa To Suit Marriage

Guys,

I've read alot of the posts on here about guys that have married Thai Citizens but still have questions.

I have had a look on the immigration sites etc and from what I can see is that I apply for a 'Non-Immigrant - O' Visa and after some years can apply for residency.

I am an Australian Citizen and currently work in Indonesia and reside in Thailand with my wife on my days off. I make around 300,000 Baht a month plus tax. Is the Non-Immigrant O Visa the best visa that I should apply for? We have discussed eventually residing in Australia but both would prefer to eventually reside and stay together in Thailand.

What are my options regarding visa's?

Scott.

Guys,

I've read alot of the posts on here about guys that have married Thai Citizens but still have questions.

I have had a look on the immigration sites etc and from what I can see is that I apply for a 'Non-Immigrant - O' Visa and after some years can apply for residency.

I am an Australian Citizen and currently work in Indonesia and reside in Thailand with my wife on my days off. I make around 300,000 Baht a month plus tax. Is the Non-Immigrant O Visa the best visa that I should apply for? We have discussed eventually residing in Australia but both would prefer to eventually reside and stay together in Thailand.

Scott.

A Multi Non O Visa would mean that you could come and go as many times as you want for around a year.

You could probably get this in Australia. Maybe Penang or KL.

If you wanted to make it a bit more permanent you can get yearly extensions from Immigration with proof of a family income of 40,000 Baht a month.

For permanent residence you need many things including a record of paying quite a lot of income tax in Thailand.

Report of obtaining a visa in Perth.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Non-Visa-Run...th-t213233.html

Edited by Lite Beer

Non o is the best.

In your case the only problem you have is the 30 day period while your visa extension is being considered.

What visa are you using for your visits.

There are lots of topics here on the non o visa extension process.

I've always used tourist visas, as most of my visits are 3 to 4 weeks at a time but those that have been longer i've just got the 3 month visa stamp to stay longer.

I'm guessing residency is quite hard without having permanent employment within the kingdom right? Are there other ways that I could go about this? I'm happy to continue going in and out of thailand however whilst i'm still working internationally but I'd like to take the best path to make an easy application later in life.

Any further ideas or do you both think that the Non Immigrant 'O' visa would be the best?

I've always used tourist visas, as most of my visits are 3 to 4 weeks at a time but those that have been longer i've just got the 3 month visa stamp to stay longer.

I'm guessing residency is quite hard without having permanent employment within the kingdom right? Are there other ways that I could go about this? I'm happy to continue going in and out of thailand however whilst i'm still working internationally but I'd like to take the best path to make an easy application later in life.

Any further ideas or do you both think that the Non Immigrant 'O' visa would be the best?

For residence you need 3 years on one year visa extensions. For married to a Thai the financial requirement drops to 300,000 in bank or 30,000 a month average over the 3 years with tax evidence.

The problem with non-o extension in your case is the 30 day wait after applying.

I would suggest that the next time you are going to be here for more than 30 days that you get a non-o single entry before your trip home and apply for the one year extension and then get a multiple rentry permit.

2 Choices. 1. Multi Entry Non Immigrant O Visa. Giving you as many entrances as you want in a period of between 12-15 months. Each entrance has a maximum stay of 90 days.

2. Single Non Immigrant O Visa. Extend this to a years permission to stay of 12 months. Based on your marriage. This will need the monthly income proof and all the other requirements mentioned earlier.

For residence you need 3 years on one year visa extensions. For married to a Thai the financial requirement drops to 300,000 in bank or 30,000 a month average over the 3 years with tax evidence.

The problem with non-o extension in your case is the 30 day wait after applying.

I would suggest that the next time you are going to be here for more than 30 days that you get a non-o single entry before your trip home and apply for the one year extension and then get a multiple rentry permit.

Can I apply for the non-o extension whilst i'm in indonesia through the thai embassy in jakarta or do I have to be within thailand? Also how long does it usually take for the initial application?

You can get a single entry non-o in Jakarta. Marriage paper and copy of wifes ID or passport photo page and pictures. Best to give them a call to be sure though of what they want. Find the number in this link. http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2712.php

You will then have to apply for the extension here. Lots of info here in threads and pinned topics on whats required. After applying and paying money they put a stamp in your passport saying your application is under consideration and you are to come back in 30 days to get the extension stamp in your passport.

no worries. I will give them a call also. Lately because of work commitments I can not get longer than 3 weeks max each time, i may have to apply, go back to work then make a quick trip back again.

I am not sure that the quick trip back will work or not because the visa that you extended on would no longer be valid. You might talk to the local immigration about it. Also it might be possible to get extension finished quicker if approval comes back early again check with immigration about this. When I got my extension the stamp and info in Thai stated the date that it was approved and the date was less than a week after I applied.

no worries. I will give them a call also. Lately because of work commitments I can not get longer than 3 weeks max each time, i may have to apply, go back to work then make a quick trip back again.

If you have to leave while under consideration make sure you get a Re Entry Permit (1,000 Baht) This will keep your permission to stay alive.

As Dr PP said try Bali. They may even give you a multi entry Non O if you prefer that.

I've decided to take a job with hitachi so that may free up enough time to get the visa complete on m next break, what is the average I heard it was a month but you say it only took a week? is there an express option a little money could influence?

If I try Bali can I still get the re-entry permit or can they only issue a single entry from outside the kingdom?

I've decided to take a job with hitachi so that may free up enough time to get the visa complete on m next break, what is the average I heard it was a month but you say it only took a week? is there an express option a little money could influence?

If I try Bali can I still get the re-entry permit or can they only issue a single entry from outside the kingdom?

When you apply for an extension based on marriage to a Thai Lady they send everything to Bangkok. That's why it takes a month.

Re Entry permit is obtained from Immigration in Thailand.

Don't forget you will need the letter from your Embassy verifying you income plus a few other things to apply.

Edited by Lite Beer

It is unlikely that you can speed up the procedure.

Firstly the local office has to check you out, which will include a home visit.

No problem if you are away, but tell your wife to have the wedding photos

around for inspection. They usually ask for a local resident to confirm that

you do live at the house as man and wife.

After that the application is passed to Bangkok.

If it is not complete in one month they will give you a new date to

appear at immigration.

If you leave the country whilst your application is being considered, then

do make sure you get a re-entry permit to keep your visa alive,

or you will have to start all over again.

When you apply for an extension based on marriage to a Thai Lady they send everything to Bangkok. That's why it takes a month.

Re Entry permit is obtained from Immigration in Thailand.

Don't forget you will need the letter from your Embassy verifying you income plus a few other things to apply.

What immigration does is put a stamp in your passport that has a report back date normally 30 days but mine was less because they adjusted it so it didn't fall on the weekend. Also if you have less than 30 days left it alows you to stay in the country legally.

I did my application at Phibun up here in Ubon. They informed us that it had to be sent to Korat for approval. Apparently they are sent to the next level up for approval not just Bangkok.

I would make a trip to immigration with the wife and see what they say about the re-enrty permit I am not sure that will work. Also you might talk to them about what if they get the approval back before the 30 days is up. They might just tell you to check back with them to see if it is back or not.

It probably doesn't matter where you get your non-o single entry visa other than whats most convenient for you. You might even be able to do it by mail/courier. You might even talk to your employers HR department. Chances are they have an office in Jakarta that could even help with getting your passport there and back.

This is first time I have heard that. I guess that is why the office in Phibun gave us a letter in a sealed envelope to take to the head of the police for our area and then deliver the reply back to them in another sealed envelope.

We ended up with letters of endorsement from the chief and 2 other cops. I guess it helps if your wife is village headman (person).

Edited by ubonjoe

This is first time I have heard that. I guess that is why the office in Phibun gave us a letter in a sealed envelope to take to the head of the police for our area and then deliver the reply back to them in another sealed envelope.

We ended up with letters of endorsement from the chief and 2 other cops. I guess it helps if your wife is village headman (person).

You are in a privileged position. :o

My wife invited the local head of police to our wedding.

He did not attend, but sent a couple of his men.

It does help to know people like this. :D

You are in a privileged position. :o

My wife invited the local head of police to our wedding.

He did not attend, but sent a couple of his men.

It does help to know people like this. :D

Yes but it cost a bundle. Decided to do it after she got turned down twice for a visa to the US while I was working there for lack of proof that she had a reason to return.

Next could be Kamnan when it comes up again in about 7 months.

Edited by ubonjoe

I did my application at Phibun up here in Ubon. They informed us that it had to be sent to Korat for approval. Apparently they are sent to the next level up for approval not just Bangkok.

I applied at the Korat office and it was sent to Bangkok for approval.

When I applied originally in Samui we had to take a Thai neighbour to the office to be interviewed and sign a statement.

Saved them the bother of coming round.

It is unlikely that you can speed up the procedure.

Yes, 30 days is 30 days, autonomat

"May" include a home visit...mine did not

As above, none of this on my recent extension...but best to be prepared

After that the application is passed to Bangkok.

If it is not complete in one month they will give you a new date to

appear at immigration.

If you leave the country whilst your application is being considered, then

do make sure you get a re-entry permit to keep your visa alive,

or you will have to start all over again.

Buy the re-entry permit when you make your first visit...save a trip

Guys,

Scott.

Scott

I am an Australian living and working in Jakarta and married to a Thai Citizen so I am in the same situation. If you go to the Thai Embassy in Jakarta with your Marriage Certificate they will probably issue you with a Multiple Entry Non Immigrant O Visa.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Scott

I am an Australian living and working in Jakarta and married to a Thai Citizen so I am in the same situation. If you go to the Thai Embassy in Jakarta with your Marriage Certificate they will probably issue you with a Multiple Entry Non Immigrant O Visa.

Dick

Dick,

Have you tried this already? I usually travel through jakarta on my way ou for R&R as I work in Kalimantan. Does it still take the 30 days?

Great well I've got both of those and my own passport with Indo visa papers.

I'm confusing myself with all the different visas, this multi non-o visa from Jakarta I can get is it the marriage visa or is it a 90 day stay which I then have to convert to a marriage visa?

It can be a mutiple entry 90 day non-o visa that allows you to enter Thailand as many times as you wish for a periiod of one year and if used just before experation can be taeken out to a total of about 15 months. You can obtain it based upon marriage.

It is not the same as getting an extension based upon marriage that you get at immigation.

In your case where you travel in and out of Thailand frequently and may not have the time to go through the one year extension process it is a good option.

You can also get a single entry non-o which you can then have extended for one year at immigration based upon marriage. With an extension and a multiple re-entry permit you can also travel in and out of the country for the length of your extension. You will have the 30 day wait while immigration considers your application.

You can also do the above if you have the multiple entry visa at any time during the year it is valid and don't have any time restraints while you are home.

Hopes this helps

Joe

Edited by ubonjoe