Salsa Kitchen In Their New Location

Krupnik

So Salsa Kitchen opened in their new location on Friday so my friend and I (having been regular customers in the old branch) tried it out that evening.

Oh and it is on Huay Keaw Road you do a U-turn at the Shell garage and it is right there on that side of the road. Parking is tricky. The new place is totally different to the old one, all new and modern, with an orange coloured design. Inside we found the air-con too cold and the music too loud. Outside is actually more pleasant if you can bear the traffic fumes.

We had to wait about half an hour for some reason although people came after us and had their meals before us. Service never was their strong point we suppose.

The food is the most important thing though of course and whilst I found mine to be satisfying my friend said hers (Beef enchilada) was not the same. The meat tasted bland, apparently. Hopefully they are just finding their feet in the new spot and weren't fully prepared on the first night.

Anyway, that was my experience. Does anyone else have any?

The new place is totally different to the old one, all new and modern, with an orange coloured design. Inside we found the air-con too cold and the music too loud. Outside is actually more pleasant if you can bear the traffic fumes.

This sounds horrible. Once the steps were negotiated I used to thoroughly enjoy the ribs and fajitas listening to the band 4 doors down especially on a rainy night.

I went to Salsa Kitchen's new restaurant tonight.

My first time at that restaurant -- I'd never eaten at the previous location.

I love Mexican food, so I really wish I could recommend it.

But I can't.

I won't be going back.

For the record, I've been a Mexican food aficionado for over 40 years.

I've eaten countless Mexican meals in Texas, Arizona, California, and New Mexico -- and from Mexican truck-kitchens everywhere in between.

Salsa Kitchen is not like any Mexican food I've ever tasted.

I'd describe it as hip-and-trendy food, not Mexican food.

Here's a report:

The air-con was set at a comfortable level.

The music was un-remarkable.

But the room is "bright," with nothing to soften the harsh sound environment.

You over-hear conversations at all the other tables nearby, whether you want to or not.

That doesn't make for a relaxing meal, but it is the hip-and-trendy style in restaurant design.

Slow service, even really slow service, doesn't bother me.

When I go out to eat in Thailand, I usually bring along reading material.

At Salsa Kitchen this evening, I got a lot of reading done.

During the wait for food, NO chips, NO salsa!

And it wasn't just me: I didn't see any baskets of chips anywhere.

I ordered the fish tacos platter.

On arrival, first thing to notice: NO beans, NO rice!

Mexican food without beans and rice: Is that legal?

Instead, the plate had a random pile of sliced cabbage, carrots, and tomatoes.

Veggies are much more hip-and-trendy than beans and rice.

My first taste test was the salsa.

It was spicy, but that was the only flavor I could pick out.

If the peppers were roasted, I could not tell.

If there was any cliantro or minced garlic or lime juice, I could not tell.

There simply wasn't much flavor to the salsa at Salsa Kitchen.

Next taste test was the taco sauce.

Or maybe that was supposed to be the salad dressing.

I'm not sure.

It was white and based on yogurt.

Does Mexico even have yogurt?

Sour cream I know, but yogurt I've never seen before with Mexican food.

However, yogurt certainly is more hip-and-trendy than sour cream.

I liked that yogurt sauce, though: a little sour, a little sweet, and smooth and creamy.

But it wasn't Mexican food.

The two tacos were made with soft, flour, tortillas.

The tortillas were fresh, most likely home-made, and lightly grilled, just right.

Those tortillas were the best element of the meal.

Except they were almost cold.

Not quite; on the verge of lukewarm would be more accurate.

But, even then, very nice tortillas.

A serving of those tortillas, thoroughly warm, with rice and beans, could be a tasty snack.

How to explain the fish tacos?

The Thais have three ways of describing food --

1. Delicious -- "ah-roy"

2. Not delicious -- "my-ah-roy"

3. Can eat -- "gin-die"

These fish tacos were, "can eat".

The fish was fine -- seemed fresh, but with little flavor, and the amount of fish was small.

The sauce was similar to the yogurt mentioned above.

The platter was big and very heavy, but the food portion was modest.

There's another indicator of hip-and-trendy: heavy plate, light on the food.

I can't complain about the bill: 154 baht for the food and a soft drink.

The service did not inspire me to leave any tip.

Edited by Oneman

But I can't.

I won't be going back.

I've eaten countless Mexican meals in Texas, Arizona, California, and New Mexico -- and from Mexican truck-kitchens everywhere in between.

Here's a report:

The air-con was set at a comfortable level.

The music was un-remarkable.

But the room is "bright," with nothing to soften the harsh sound environment.

You over-hear conversations at all the other tables nearby, whether you want to or not.

That doesn't make for a relaxing meal, but it is the hip-and-trendy style in restaurant design.

Slow service, even really slow service, doesn't bother me.

When I go out to eat in Thailand, I usually bring along reading material.

At Salsa Kitchen this evening, I got a lot of reading done.

During the wait for food, NO chips, NO salsa!

And it wasn't just me: I didn't see any baskets of chips anywhere.

I ordered the fish tacos platter.

On arrival, first thing to notice: NO beans, NO rice!

Mexican food without beans and rice: Is that legal?

Instead, the plate had a random pile of sliced cabbage, carrots, and tomatoes.

Veggies are much more hip-and-trendy than beans and rice.

My first taste test was the salsa.

It was spicy, but that was the only flavor I could pick out.

If the peppers were roasted, I could not tell.

If there was any cliantro or minced garlic or lime juice, I could not tell.

There simply wasn't much flavor to the salsa at Salsa Kitchen.

Next taste test was the taco sauce.

Or maybe that was supposed to be the salad dressing.

I'm not sure.

It was white and based on yogurt.

Does Mexico even have yogurt?

Sour cream I know, but yogurt I've never seen before with Mexican food.

However, yogurt certainly is more hip-and-trendy than sour cream.

I liked that yogurt sauce, though: a little sour, a little sweet, and smooth and creamy.

But it wasn't Mexican food.

The two tacos were made with soft, flour, tortillas.

The tortillas were fresh, most likely home-made, and lightly grilled, just right.

Those tortillas were the best element of the meal.

Except they were almost cold.

Not quite; on the verge of lukewarm would be more accurate.

But, even then, very nice tortillas.

A serving of those tortillas, thoroughly warm, with rice and beans, could be a tasty snack.

How to explain the fish tacos?

The Thais have three ways of describing food --

1. Delicious -- "ah-roy"

2. Not delicious -- "my-ah-roy"

3. Can eat -- "gin-die"

These fish tacos were, "can eat".

The fish was fine -- seemed fresh, but with little flavor, and the amount of fish was small.

The sauce was similar to the yogurt mentioned above.

The platter was big and very heavy, but the food portion was modest.

There's another indicator of hip-and-trendy: heavy plate, light on the food.

I can't complain about the bill: 154 baht for the food and a soft drink.

The service did not inspire me to leave any tip.

As mention in numerous posts, the owner is the first to admit this is not, nor will be, touted as authentic Mexican food. He applies a basic premise and then uses what he can buy locally to do his magic. I like the Caribbean style as well as the ribs. Want Mexican, go to Miguels or hop a plane to Guadalajara.

But I can't.

I won't be going back.

I've said many times that I enjoy Salsa John's food for what it is. He takes a particular style of food and then makes it his own using whatever is good and fresh at the Thai market.

If I am looking for Mexican food like back home, I will hit Miguel's Mexican Cafe. If I am looking for something tasty and different from anywhere else, I will go to Salsa Kitchen for John's Mexican style or Caribbean style.

If I want the best BBQ ribs in town, it is Salsa Kitchen every time! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

• 2 weeks later...

Used to eat at Salsa once in a while on their old location. Enjoyed the meals as a pleasant break from the usual stuff. Although I sort of miss them - I can't possibly be moved to go that far out just to get something to eat.

The Midtowner.

Used to eat at Salsa once in a while on their old location. Enjoyed the meals as a pleasant break from the usual stuff. Although I sort of miss them - I can't possibly be moved to go that far out just to get something to eat.

eh? Huay Gaew is hardly in the middle of nowhere! In fact it's probably about 5 minutes from the old location by motorbike.

If you think that's too far, you've been in Thailand way too long, and are starting to think like a Thai - where everything outside the end of your soi is veeeeery faaaaar!

As for SK, the food is not bad, decent portions, beef enchiladas were always worth a scran. but not in any great rush to try out the new place.

Went there for late dinner. Great decor, bright and colorful and Mexican. Good crowd, maybe 7 full tables. including lots of young, fit farang women. I hesitated to pay 139 for beef enchiladas. Then I realized it was a full platter of two enchiladas, salad, and Spanish rice. Delicious. Worth the price. Good and prompt service, no problems. Will be back. I ride almost 7 km to get there, no big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the owner of the Salsa Kitchen, and I want to thank everyone that has offered up feedback and support, both in this forum and in person, since we opened up in our new location about a month ago.

We had a very rushed move and transition into the new location, and there were some growing pains. We are now well settled in here and I think that the overall dining experience has improved dramatically from the old spot. The atmosphere is better, the music is Latin and at a reasonable volume, the restaurant is air-conditioned chilled and there is plenty of free parking for customers at the Shell station across the street. There will from now on be, in addition to old favorites, plenty of daily specials, lots more corn tortillas across the menu, some meaty braised beef and pork dishes…etc, etc.

I am very thankful to be here doing what we love to do, and we try to do it well.

In regards to Krupnick's last comment. I have also heard that Utopia has taken and is using our menu. I have been told that they in fact photocopied my exact menu and simply removed the words "Salsa Kitchen".

So, just to be clear:

• We are in no way affiliated with Utopia, and any Mexican food that they sell does not represent us.
  • I consider it to be a form of conscious and chosen theft.
  • As we have worked very hard on this for many years, I find it personally offensive.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

John

And if you don't want to travel.... I am told that Utopia back on the Reggae Strip are offering an identical menu!

Huey Kaew Road is outside of the moat, practically the other side of the world! :o

no originality whatsoever at Utopia is there? i'd personally go to Salsa Kitchen if I wanted Salsa Kitchen food.

cmsoulbrother- thank you for your thoughtful response.

I've always enjoyed your food at the old location- particularly the ribs.

Are you getting a smoker set up, or has it already happened?

And are the 200 B pitchers of Margaritas still happening?

Say the word and I'll be down in a flash.... :o

cmsoulbrother- thank you for your thoughtful response.

I've always enjoyed your food at the old location- particularly the ribs.

Are you getting a smoker set up, or has it already happened?

And are the 200 B pitchers of Margaritas still happening?

Say the word and I'll be down in a flash.... :o

Thanks for the kind words Mcgriffith...

Finding a home for the smoker was a bit of a challenge, but as I was going into personal BBQ withdrawal, getting ribs into that smoker was made a priority and we are now up and running...ribs are a go! :D

Margaritas are as they were - big and icy and flowing

Looking forward to seeing you again,

John

• 2 weeks later...

After being a regular customer at the old location, I tried the new one last night. The food was good and the service not bad considering it was quite busy with a full table of Asian tourists.

Now, I don't mean to offend and I hope this is taken as constructive criticism. I had just finished telling my other half we could now bring some friends back to the Salsa Kitchen as they loved the food but had objected to the "noise" at the old location and therefore stayed away. No sooner did I comment than the "noise" re-appeared.

A restaurant, especially as nicely done as this, is no place for children to play. Not only are they allowed to run around the restaurant but one also went into a full fledged tantrum screaming at the top of their lungs! The table of tourists stopped all conversation in amazement and just stared in disbelief. This continued for some time until finally someone took them away into the back. I don't know who these kids belong to, owner or staff (they are not customers). It was a problem before and it appears to still be present. Sorry to be so blunt, but one can't be expected to tolerate another s children when they are out for a nice dinner in a nice establishment. Business should be business.

I think that is a fair criticism, silverhawk.

Very well worded and more than fair, IMHO.

I am a parent; when my kid was a toddler we limited our dining out to "Me 'N Ed's" pizza parlours, etc.

Sometimes the proud new parents forget that others, out for a quiet evening, and an enjoyable meal and chat with friends, don't want this.

The Thai moo kata places, and garden restaurants, are much more appropriate places for little ones....

My husband and I have been in Chiang Mai for 8 months now. Today, when we went to Kad Suan Kaew for a little shopping, we decided to try to find lunch outside the mall. I'm glad we did! We stumbled upon the new location of Salsa Kitchen. Neither of us had been to the old location, so we had no prior experience or knowledge to go on.

For an appetizer, we ordered the vegetarian nachos. For my entree, I ordered the jerked chicken, which came with rice-n-beans, mango chutney (?), corn on the cob, potato salad, and salsa. My husband ordered the chicken burritos, which included rice, a salad, and something else (I can't remember). If we had known how generous the portions were before we ordered, we probably would have opted to split an entree. As it was, we left feeling pretty stuffed!

The nachos were fantastic!! The jerked chicken was the best chicken I've had in 8 months. The potato salad was delicious, and all my other sides were very good, as well. My husband said his burritos were "as good as a burrito can be with black beans." High praise from him! (He prefers pinto beans.)

As far as atmosphere is concerned, I found the music to be pleasant in both type and volume; the AC was comfortable; and the service was prompt.

All in all, we had a great meal. I'd even go so far as to say that it was the best food I've had here in Thailand. We are both very happy we discovered this restaurant today. I foresee many visits in the remaining 6 weeks before we head back to Texas.