Potato Masher In Bangkok?

TenDreams

Was looking for exactly this item in Carrefour the other day and, despite having a wide variety of kitchenware, there was no masher to be found. We've resorted to using the pestle and mortar which is normally used for somtam. Seems to work OK, but not quite as effective as the real thing.

Hi,

Potatoes being one of my favorite foods I have to say why do yuo need a masher?

I make a lot of mashed Potatoes for the Bistro and the only thing I use is a large whisk .. the secret is in the butter and garlic, and a bit or elbow grease

John

Hi,

I make a lot of mashed Potatoes for the Bistro and the only thing I use is a large whisk .. the secret is in the butter and garlic, and a bit or elbow grease

John

.....and a bit of freshly grounded nutmeg and hot milk.

Agree John???

Hi,

John

.....and a bit of freshly grounded nutmeg and hot milk.

Agree John???

Personally I'd leave out the garlic and the nutmeg and throw in a few chopped spring onions. Only the green tops, mind, not the bulbs. Even better than spring onions are chives but I have yet to see them here (not looked quite so extensively yet though I must admit).

If you use a mixer they turn out a little too sloppy. best is to tip the water out of the pot and while they are still really hot squash them with something like a beer bottle and slowly add the milk and butter but not too much. The skins can actually improve the taste if you boil the potatoes in their skins and then leave some of them in.

Most people can't cook potato's and cook them to death with way to much water and boiling them until they are soft and most of the flavor has been transferred to the water.

Leaving the skin on mashed potato's????? yuk .... I can imagine the way they would look .. perish the thought

Using an electrical device is just as bad - mashed potato's are one of those food items that have to be done by hand - instead of spending money on a "masher" and a whisk .. just spend more on a professional whisk - it does a better job at mashing the potato's and you can of course use it for a lot of other jobs too.

As to the Garlic, on 20KG of Patato's I put 5 cloves and boil them together with the potato's - you want only a hint of garlic and not an overpowering presents, the nutmeg is essential as is plenty of good butter - do not buy ad use any of those butter replacements here they are terrible and sweet with a chemical taste, it will ruin your mash,

John

Edited by JohnBKKK