The Usd Is Headed To 25 Baht Per

More to the point, the 700 billion is in ADDITION to the national debt already owed. From Wikipedia...

As of September 2008, the total U.S. federal debt was approximately $9.7 trillion[2], about $31,700 per capita (that is, per U.S. resident

So add the bailout and let's call it an even $34,000. I know my check is in the mail. Anybody else pitching in?? :o

No. The outgoing Comptroller General reported that the real US national debt was over 60 trillion.

According to IMF figures the US debt is about 70% of GDP. Japan's debt is over 100% of GDP so still a while to go for the US.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More to the point, the 700 billion is in ADDITION to the national debt already owed. From Wikipedia...

As of September 2008, the total U.S. federal debt was approximately $9.7 trillion[2], about $31,700 per capita (that is, per U.S. resident

So add the bailout and let's call it an even $34,000. I know my check is in the mail. Anybody else pitching in?? :o

No. The outgoing Comptroller General reported that the real US national debt was over 60 trillion.

According to IMF figures the US debt is about 70% of GDP. Japan's debt is over 100% of GDP so still a while to go for the US.

According to the CIA the 2007 GDP was 13.84 trillion dollars. Congress is working on increasing the national debt to 11.3 trillion.

Thats $37,666 for every man woman & child in the US. Or you can use the Comptroller generals figure of 60 trillion and have $200,000 for every man woman & child.

Looking at their little $700 Billion bailout, that is 700,000 one million dollar homes. I'd like one of those.

Hopefully this woun't blow my social security check out of the water. I give it 50/50 chance.

Just FYI to the posters who said commodities go down if the dollar falls - that's wrong. All commodities priced in dollars would go up. Many commodities such as agriculture commodities do not experience much demand erosion. People still have to eat. Demand can erode for (arguably) luxury commodities such as oil. People do not HAVE to drive and there are often alternatives to most petrol based products.

I'm a Jim Rogers follower, and I approved this message.

Just FYI to the posters who said commodities go down if the dollar falls - that's wrong. All commodities priced in dollars would go up. Many commodities such as agriculture commodities do not experience much demand erosion. People still have to eat. Demand can erode for (arguably) luxury commodities such as oil. People do not HAVE to drive and there are often alternatives to most petrol based products.

Actually I agree with the above and think LOS will be in better shape than most as it is fairly self sufficient in the food category. Many countries that import all of there food will be hurting, I think that includes most of the middle east countries as the only commodity they have is oil.

So we could be in much worse places if the world economy turns to c-rap.

Demand can erode for (arguably) luxury commodities such as oil. People do not HAVE to drive and there are often alternatives to most petrol based products.

of course! oil is soon good for nothing and the Ayrabs will be on their knees begging us to take some of their oil free of charge. every child knows that oil is used only in oil lamps and motor vehicles but we can ride bicycles and -if need be- walk. and those who don't want to use oil lamps have the alternative to get an electric connection to their homes and enjoy the luxury of light coming miraculously of some tiny holes in the wall once a light bulb is connected with two wires.

next joke please! but a moderate one as i am holding already my belly with laughter :o

Demand can erode for (arguably) luxury commodities such as oil. People do not HAVE to drive and there are often alternatives to most petrol based products.

of course! oil is soon good for nothing and the Ayrabs will be on their knees begging us to take some of their oil free of charge. every child knows that oil is used only in oil lamps and motor vehicles but we can ride bicycles and -if need be- walk. and those who don't want to use oil lamps have the alternative to get an electric connection to their homes and enjoy the luxury of light coming miraculously of some tiny holes in the wall once a light bulb is connected with two wires.

next joke please! but a moderate one as i am holding already my belly with laughter :o

So you would rather live in the desert with lots of oil than live in LOS with lots of food? I'd rather eat than drive.

So you would rather live in the desert with lots of oil than live in LOS with lots of food? I'd rather eat than drive.

Bt, i have lived in the desert and made the foundations of my financial standing in the desert. is it a surprise if i tell you that Saudi Arabia was a net exporter of wheat in the early and mid 1990s at dumping prices?

but that is besides the point which was raised and to which i jokingly answered. i was trying to point out that for decades to come (both you and me are too old to live that long) oil will NOT be a luxury commodity but a daily and badly needed necessity in all our aspects of life. "them Ayrabs" will rake in money for their oil for a very long time as there is no alternative in the near future. and when their oil has run out they will own in other countries each and every thing they need to feed and cloth themselves.

the times when they were camel herders in the desert and happy when foreign oil companies paid them a pittance for a barrel are long gone. besides being by nature shrewd business men there is a new generation which studied abroad and advises some old bedouins in power how to invest the surplus. and if you go through some statistics what they own already you won't believe your eyes.

I t will be more than a little ironic, if the perception among foreigners should change to believing a US savings account with FDIC insurance may be the safest place for them to park cash. Just musing. and as long as I am, how much higher could bonds realistically go?

Edited by lannarebirth

Bt, i have lived in the desert and made the foundations of my financial standing in the desert. is it a surprise if i tell you that Saudi Arabia was a net exporter of wheat in the early and mid 1990s at dumping prices?

but that is besides the point which was raised and to which i jokingly answered. i was trying to point out that for decades to come (both you and me are too old to live that long) oil will NOT be a luxury commodity but a daily and badly needed necessity in all our aspects of life. "them Ayrabs" will rake in money for their oil for a very long time as there is no alternative in the near future. and when their oil has run out they will own in other countries each and every thing they need to feed and cloth themselves.

the times when they were camel herders in the desert and happy when foreign oil companies paid them a pittance for a barrel are long gone. besides being by nature shrewd business men there is a new generation which studied abroad and advises some old bedouins in power how to invest the surplus. and if you go through some statistics what they own already you won't believe your eyes.

Ohh you mean what comes around goes around... or is it the otherway around I forget...

Edited by pkrv

but that is besides the point which was raised and to which i jokingly answered. i was trying to point out that for decades to come (both you and me are too old to live that long) oil will NOT be a luxury commodity but a daily and badly needed necessity in all our aspects of life.

For some reason that made me think water is the next best investment :o:D

It will be more than a little ironic, if the perception among foreigners should change to believing a US savings account with FDIC insurance may be the safest place for them to park cash. Just musing. and as long as I am, how much higher could bonds realistically go?

several reasons exist why this perception will not change.

-the U.S. banking system is as backward as Thailand's banking system when compared with international standards. i speak based on experience.

-foreigners do not like that a single federal judge might freeze their accounts based on flimsy reasons, suspicions or accusations like "it is well known that the beneficiary is a criminal. years ago he smoked in a one-way street on a public holiday and it is believed that later he passed a mosque".

-foreigners who worry about their cash hold definitely more than a 100k dollars and would find it difficult to open multiple bank accounts in the U.S.

-homeland security would jump with joy when looking at reports about a single party (corporation established in a tax haven and wire transfers coming from offshore) making multiple wire transfers and sing the song "terrorist, money launderer, drug dealer = let's screw the living sh*t outa him".

:o

US$ 17,000 per American citizen or US$ 23,000 per American citizen gives you a total number of American citizens of between 30,000,000 and 40,000,000

Or have the septics now invented another new definition of a billion, somewhere between an old US billion and a UK billion?

700b divided by

2008 estimate 305,238,000 wiki

= 20 something k usd per citizen

Your former math teacher should give you a good paddling :o The actual number is apprximately $2,290 per U.S. citizen, but the number is an arbitrary one that has little relevance since the assets will be bought at fire sale prices and if dispoed of properly they should net the U.S. taxpayer in the neighborhood of $100-$150 billion. Please don't try the math on that one lifeisrandom, I will do it here for you. The U.S. taxpayers should wind up getting a rebate check in the neighborhood of $330-$500/each! Of course they won't actually get it, the government will spend the money on a few bridges to nowhere :D

i hope you didn't follow Jim Rogers' advice "China, China... invest in China!" :o

Ah yes, good old Jimmy Rogers the eternal pessimist. I think that jimmy has been correct about 3, no make that 4 times over the past 30 years, but his long term positions in equities in mainland China was certainly not one of them :D You could probably substitute Marc Faber for Jimmy in that sentence, but Mr. Faber has a slightly better batting average than Jimmy(which isn't saying much)!!!

Damm fiat currency! We should have never moved off the gold standard, come to think of it lets just move back :D

Damm fiat currency! We should have never moved off the gold standard, come to think of it lets just move back :D

Vic........We have a problem there. Only 4.3trillion dollars (july 2008 price) total has been mined, so we are a little short for the deficit.

at least one big-time Asian investment firm (can't recall the name) is investing heavily in $$'s right now.

If I understand correctly, their basic theory is: if the US economy continues to tank, it will compel big foreign players to put their assets in safe places. Even with big troubles, the US is still considered safe (T-bills, etc) and Asians in particular are dedicated to brand names. Once they get it fixed in their heads, it's 'branded.' So, though it seems counter-intuitive, when financial seas get rough, it could be lots of tattered vessels will seek a US port. hence, the $$ won't tumble in value, and may indeed increase.

Vic........We have a problem there. Only 4.3trillion dollars (july 2008 price) total has been mined, so we are a little short for the deficit.

BTDT, I was being facietious, hence the rollyeyed charcarter! If you have ever read any of my prior posts you would know that I am the anti-goldbug :D

US$ 17,000 per American citizen or US$ 23,000 per American citizen gives you a total number of American citizens of between 30,000,000 and 40,000,000

Or have the septics now invented another new definition of a billion, somewhere between an old US billion and a UK billion?

700b divided by

2008 estimate 305,238,000 wiki

= 20 something k usd per citizen

Your former math teacher should give you a good paddling :o The actual number is apprximately $2,290 per U.S. citizen, but the number is an arbitrary one that has little relevance since the assets will be bought at fire sale prices and if dispoed of properly they should net the U.S. taxpayer in the neighborhood of $100-$150 billion. Please don't try the math on that one lifeisrandom, I will do it here for you. The U.S. taxpayers should wind up getting a rebate check in the neighborhood of $330-$500/each! Of course they won't actually get it, the government will spend the money on a few bridges to nowhere :D

Just one quick correction, the next to last line of the post should read that every "U.S. citizen" should wind up with a rebate check in the neighborhood of $330-$500. If it was given to every U.S. taxpayer the rebate check would obviously be considerably higher :D

i hope you didn't follow Jim Rogers' advice "China, China... invest in China!" :o

Ah yes, good old Jimmy Rogers the eternal pessimist. I think that jimmy has been correct about 3, no make that 4 times over the past 30 years, but his long term positions in equities in mainland China was certainly not one of them :D You could probably substitute Marc Faber for Jimmy in that sentence, but Mr. Faber has a slightly better batting average than Jimmy(which isn't saying much)!!!

apropos Marc Faber. saw him yesterday in an interview on Bloomie TV. couldn't first believe it's Marc "butt zen hiss khrude sviss ackzent vhen shpeeking der inglisch lankvitch gave him avay" :D

Will Hit 40-45 before it hits 25

Not a chance.

those who still have wet dreams about "45" by this year's end can order by PM rubber sheets (own production) to protect their mattresses. the virtual rubber sheets are free of charge and disbursed by e-mail attachment.

looks like the dollar is being propped for now. europe has their own banking and recession problems.

that was to be expected with a "positive" message from the political clowns. i will wait a few days and then sell not only all my cash dollars but go naked² short on USD vs. €UR. if i am right i will smile, if i am wrong... who the EFF cares? after all it's my money and i can waste it as i see fit :o