Visa Run, Mae Sot Seems To Be Good!

Hello, to all!

I ve been reading a lot about different places, you guys are going to do the visa runs. Though, never read anything about anyone going to mae sot.

I can only highly recommend that places. I have been going there eversince, there where rumours that Poi Phet border cross, was full of hassel. All together now 8 times, i think.

Never problems, immigration people fairly nice.

Ok, it takes a bit longer, than the normal Cambodian border cross, but catching a vip bus at 11.pm, be there in the morning, go over the Thai-Myanmar Friendship bridge, and take the vip bus back, all tohether 16 hours. No tourist, about 5 foreigner a day and, NO HASSEl at all.

Now go there every three month, as i am on a Non B and the border guys eveb recognize me.

So, all together its a nice place to try.

:o

I've been going there for about 8 of the last 10 monthly border hops. Ranong is much nicer, longer to get there though and a longer process leaving and entering Thailand.

From BKK I can ride to Mae Sot and back in a day but it's tiring and prefer to visit/stay somewhere on the way back.

Never had any real hassles there and no touts whatsoever. Only had a couple of ocassions where the immigration official has looked at every page in my passport and shouted out to a superior all the stamps and visas that I've collected from other SE Asian countries. I'm not sure what may have happened if my PP had just contained nothing but one month stamps.

I too would recommend Mae Sot but border hoppers seem anxious to get back to their expat enclave as soon as possible and will head for Aranyaphrathet because it's nearer. For me it actually works out cheaper going further to Mae Sot than it does going to Cambodia.

I was thinking of Poi Phet for my next border hop but I'm put off by the touts and amount of 'tea money' to leave Cambodia the same day.

I'm looking to go to Chong Chom in Surin as it's supposed to be quieter and less hassle. Also, a nice area to explore on a motorbike.

i have been to ranong twice myself and i think the way to the immigration, then on the boat over to myanmar, then back again to the thai immigration is a bit of a pain in the butt. But i must admit ranong is a nice pleasent city.

As for mae sot, if you have a night stop there, there is a highly recommendable dinner restaurant called " Kao Mau, Kao Fang" ( spelling?) which is located in a nice and garden, waterfall atmosphaere, just a about 2 miles outside of mae sod.

good food, reasonable prices.

:o

How many hours is the bus ride from Chiang Mai to Mae Sot? Does anyone know the bus schedule going there and returning?

Is this bus ride a treacherous one, going over dangerous cliffs and the like?

I hear you pay Myanmar US $10, is that correct?

Do you need to carry 10,000 baht with you?

Thinking about going there for a change...

How many hours is the bus ride from Chiang Mai to Mae Sot? Does anyone know the bus schedule going there and returning?

Is this bus ride a treacherous one, going over dangerous cliffs and the like?

I hear you pay Myanmar US $10, is that correct?

Do you need to carry 10,000 baht with you?

Thinking about going there for a change...

From Chiang Mai if there's no direct VIP bus to Mae Sot then you'd probably have to get one to Tak.

I would imagine that there would be plenty of buses going to various destinations via Tak.

From Tak take a big bus to Mae Sot. There may well be songtaews too but it would be too uncomfortable and a too long a journey.

Tak to Mae Sot is about 80kms and takes me about an hour on the m/c.

From Mae Sot to the Rim Moi market/Friendship bridge/Thai immigration is only 5 kms. Get there by songtaew or m/c taxi.

The road (R105) from Tak to Mae Sot is fairly hilly and twisty but nothing to worry about.

You can pay 10 US dollars or 500 baht. Sometimes they ask for a photo. If you don't want to get some specially for the trip, just tell them you forgot and that you'll bring one next time. If you're not going to walk around Myawaddy and do a quick turn around instead, then tell them you're going straight back to Thailand and then they won't even ask for a photo. Tell them what you intend to do when you hand over your passport.

No need to show any money whatsover.

sorry i cant help you with the bus schedule, but ist about 4.5 hours. i have only gone that route once, as i am from bkk, and it is indeed quite hilly.

its 10 US or 500 baht to the myanmar immigration. not sure if the still take US or if the raise it in US.

greetings

sorry forgot to say, that i never had to show any money either, about the photo, i was there 8 time already, going on the 7.12 again and you can "forget" the picture everytime.

they will ask you "In and Out" or if you wanted to walk around the town a bit. My opinion is, that there is nothing really to see on the burmese side, walk around mae sot instead, nice market......

I did Hat Lek for the first time last week. Sure beats the ###### outta Poi Pet. Although, u do get the touts who do your visa and trying to flog u cheap smokes . Thai immigration, really friendly and helpful.Distance wise, not much further from Bkk than Poipet, and the scenery is alot better . We had our own car , but i am sure buses must run to Trat although it is a further 70 odd kms to the border. Left at 7 am in the morning, had my new visa by 11 am and then two great nights kicking back on Koh Chang :o