Ploy

MKAsok

Anyone have any ideas about where I can find the film Ploy on DVD in Bangkok? It was directed by Pen-Ek Ratanaruang, the guy who made, among other films, Last Life in the Universe and Fun Bar Karaoke and was released late last year. I remember there's been talk of where the best place to buy 'independent' DVDs is on the forum recently, but if anyone specifically remembers seeing this in a shop somewhere, please let me know. I haven't seen it being sold anywhere (and I'm a film freak, spend alot of time nosing around DVD shops) a fact I find strange considering it's a film made by a guy who is generally considerd to be Thailand's foremost director... Thanks.

mk

Thanks Sabaijai. I suspected as much. I haven't seen it either: somehow managed to miss it at the cinema. Yeah, have to agree about Invisible Waves, but it definitely had its (admittedly fairly surreal) moments. I guess it was always going to be a tall order trying to follow up Last Life...

mk

I like Pen Ek but was really disappointed by Invisible Waves, and though Ploy was better it was still pretty tedious and disappointing. I hope he has a turnaround and goes back to making films like Last Life in the Universe, Monrak Transistor, and Fun Bar Karaoke!!!

girlx - just out of interest, did you catch the film at the cinema? Or did you manage to find a copy with English subtitles? Or is your Thai that good that you don't need 'em? I just got an e-mail back from ethaicd and the copy they're selling definitely has no subtitles... Thanks

mk

Ploy's been out on DVD for ages:

http://ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=33641

'For ages' might be a bit of an exaggeration, considering the film was released late last year .... :o

The film was released 7th June 2007. I saw unofficial DVDs of it last October. Agree though that might not be ages to some. :D

There are English subs for it floating around the net. I guess they could be spliced into the Thai version if one had the time and inclination.

I like Pen Ek but was really disappointed by Invisible Waves, and though Ploy was better it was still pretty tedious and disappointing. I hope he has a turnaround and goes back to making films like Last Life in the Universe, Monrak Transistor, and Fun Bar Karaoke!!!

And don't forget '69', another excellent early one.

I talked to Pen-Ek at a party Friday night, he's unrepentant. :o

Sabaijai - Agree about 6ixtynin9. Great stuff. In fact it was the first Pen-Ek film I saw and the one that got me into his films. Got hold of Ploy thanks to lomatopo's link. Thought it was excellent. Far better than Invisible Waves and something of a return to form for him. Well worth a look I'd say...

mk

That's good to hear. I attended the Invisible Waves premiere in BKK a couple years ago and walked out about two-thirds of the way through.

I attended the Thursday night premiere of the film Soi Cowboy. Directed by Thomas Clay, with Aphichatpong's DP on the camera. Thought-provoking movie, nothing like what the title might suggest. Kong Rithdee held a quick Q&A afterward with director, producer (Tom Waller) and a couple of the actors.

I did wonder about Soi Cowboy. Shame they're not showing it again before the festival's over, since I would have certainly had a look based on your comments. Think I'm going to try and catch Vicki Christina Barcelona tonight. Anyone know if the screenings are generally pretty full? Is there any way of booking in advance? I'm guessing not. The website isn't particularly helpful on this point...

mk

Hahahaha. Found that out the hard way when we schlepped all the way over to Central World to be told at 8.30 by the girl in the box office, who looked at me like I was an idiot (I am an idiot for not checking in advance), that it was completely sold out. Anyone see the film? Any good?

I didn't think so... it was just ok in my opinion.

The nighttime screenings have been very full. Both screenings of Vicky Cristina Barcelona were sold out in advance.

unfortunately i missed it. :o hopefully it makes the rounds on dvd soon.

I didn't think so... it was just ok in my opinion.
The nighttime screenings have been very full. Both screenings of Vicky Cristina Barcelona were sold out in advance.

unfortunately i missed it. :o hopefully it makes the rounds on dvd soon.

Might give Ploy a miss then.

I didn't know Patricia Clarkson was in VCB. I want to see it even more now.

It won't be out on DVD for aaaaaaaaaaages. :D

6ixtynin9

i haven't seen this pen ek film, anyone know if that one is on dvd with english subs?

Definitely available on DVD with English subs (though I've never seen it here, believe it or not I hired it a few years ago from Blockbuster of all places when I was living in Atlanta GA). If you can't find it, let me know - I'm sure I can get hold of a copy in the same way I did with Ploy...

mk

6ixtynin9

i haven't seen this pen ek film, anyone know if that one is on dvd with english subs?

It's pretty rare to find a pirate version of any Pen-Ek film (Mon Rak Transistor might be an exception) and when you do, they don't usually have English subtitles, or at least not intelligible ones. :o 69 (Thai name Reuang Talok 69, English name the way someone else wrote it here, can't be bothered) came out in 1999 at the peak of the brief Thai new wave film movement. I have a DVD I bought somewhere, with decent subs, maybe Mangpong or somewhere like that. I think it's Pen-Ek's tightest film, next to Mon Rak T.

oh i meant a pirated copy of 'vicky cristina barcelona' would be out within a week... you are right about pen ek's films, the only one i have seen pirated was last life in the universe. i will look around the more legitimate shops like mang pong for '69'...

It may be of interest to note that the FCCT (Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand) is screening the uncut version of Ploy tonite at their headquarters.

Here's the link:

http://www.fccthai.com/TheBulletin.html#Ploy

Usual disclaimer, I have no affiliation with the FCCT and only offer this information out as I receive their updates to events.

Todd alludes to something that has gone unmentioned this entire thread: The Thai theatrical release was censored! Yes, I know you are all shocked, that Thailand would censor a movie.

So the "erect nipples" scenes were cut out of the film and replaced with other footage. It's this "Thai cut" prepared by the director that has been released on DVD (no English subtitles), and I suspect this is the version that is floating around on the torrents with the fansubs.

The original was shown in Cannes, and at the 2007 Bangkok Int'l Film Fest and other film fests around the world.

But as of October 2008, there's still no word of the original cut of Ploy hitting DVD in a territory that might include English subs.

It'll be one of Thailand's many lost films.

It's this "Thai cut" prepared by the director that has been released on DVD (no English subtitles), and I suspect this is the version that is floating around on the torrents with the fansubs.

I'd be interested to know if this is true. The version I saw was fairly graphic sexually.

As a side note to fans of Pen-Ek, if you haven't seen it already, you might be interested in Wisit Sasanatieng's Mah Nakorn (Citizen Dog), which is narrated by Pen-EK. I picked up a copy the other day, but haven't watched it as yet. Will report back when I do...

mk