Phase 3 Of Iphone Expansion

bubba

Apple already sells a ton of grey market phones in Thailand. They are aware of this and the advantage for them is none of these phones qualify for warranty. So I think they just don't care they get the phone sale anyway and don't have to fix it should it break. Seems to me they have no incentive to launch it in Thailand. I have seen more iPhones in Thailand than anywhere else in the world.

This just out yesterday and seems interesting:

From the Apple Store in HKG:

"iPhone 3G purchased at the Apple Online Store can be activated with any wireless carrier. Simply insert the SIM from your current phone into iPhone 3G and connect to iTunes 8 to complete activation."

As far as I know, this is only place where Apple are selling the iPhone direct and unlocked. And the price is about 23,500 baht...at least 10,000 baht cheaper than at MBK, and you would have a warranty. The big question is how they define "any wireless carrier". Does that mean only wireless carriers in HKG, and not elsewhere, such as in Thailand? Even if not, the MBK boys could probably liberate it for another 500 baht.

Apple Store Hong Kong - iPhone

The price is before you sign the contract. Thats where unlocked phones in MBK are coming from but they are much more expensive because somebody had to sign a contract to get it. They break the contract and tack the early termination fee to it. There are unlocked phones being sold in Belgium and Italy maybe one or two other places. As far as warranty goes if you buy a Belgian phone and it needs repair Apple will only service it in the country you bought it in.

All unlocked iPhones require a contract at the time of purchase. The only phones sold without a contract are pay as you go phones and are locked to specific carriers.

The price is before you sign the contract. Thats where unlocked phones in MBK are coming from but they are much more expensive because somebody had to sign a contract to get it. They break the contract and tack the early termination fee to it. There are unlocked phones being sold in Belgium and Italy maybe one or two other places. As far as warranty goes if you buy a Belgian phone and it needs repair Apple will only service it in the country you bought it in.

All unlocked iPhones require a contract at the time of purchase. The only phones sold without a contract are pay as you go phones and are locked to specific carriers.

I'm not sure this new offer in Hong Kong requires a contract. This is the first time that the iPhone has been sold direct from the online Apple Sytore. Just for fun, I selected to buy one and got all the way to the page where you enter a credit card and there was never a mention of a contract. And again, it does say that you can use any SIM card to activate it, although that could mean any Hong Kong SIM. Again, I'm sure that's something the MBK boys could sort out for 500 baht.

True, it does say at the bottom of the page that they warranty is only valid in the country where it was originally sold.

The Apple Store site gives a HKG 800 number for more information, but we cannot reach that number from Thailand. I'll get a colleague in HKG to give them a call on Monday and clarify the contract and SIM card issues.

It is sold unlocked but you must sign a contract with your chosen carrier. This is why they sell for such a premium in BKK. I doubt this has changed as I am a member of a prominent Mac website (not that it means much but many people would be all over this if it were true) and people there have all said the same thing. There were a few threads going that expressed initial positive reaction to the online store but after looking into it it became apparent nothing had really changed. If something has changed then go down to MBK and prices should reflect that if Apple is really letting phones go out the door contract free. I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure this is the case.

Edited by anotheruser

The simple reason why the iPhone is so expensive in MBK is because demand outstrips supply. Contracts are irrelevant - even in Hong Kong, where there is no chance Apple could get deals with all the carriers.

Any SIM should mean any SIM, period. But I would be interested in hearing what Bubba finds out.

I forgot to mention that I was in MBK the other day to replace a phone charger... and my usual shop had an iPhone 3G 16GB - it was offered to me at 25,000 baht, but I can't remember for sure whether that was a new or used price. Still, that would be very close to the HK price (which in turn is more than 3x the US price for a carrier-locked phone with AT&T).

All reports indicate that the model being sold in HK is completely unlocked and can be used on any GSM carrier - Apple has apparently also indicated it expects to see many of these HK units being sold in other parts of Asia.

The cheapest solution would be to get the $199 (8GB) or $299 (16GB) phone in the US, then buy a special SIM adapter which will cost about $50 - so a 16GB would end up costing around 12,000 baht.

Edited by onethailand

There's a few places around the world where you can get an unlocked iPhone from a carrier, e.g. an official one with warranty. For example, Australia, Belgium, one or two of the new eastern European countries in the EU, and Hong Kong.

HK is the only place where they sell them officially unlocked in the Apple Online Store though. Price seems comparable to EU or AUS prices.

I saw a bit about the HK store on one of the Mac news sites but I guess unlocking just isn't such a big topic with the 3G iPhone.

The 3G iPhone is pretty much exactly the same as the old 1G iPhone - so for a country that doesn't have any 3G networks, the old one is just as good. I think it even looks a bit nicer with the steel back vs glossy plastic on the new one.

Sorry I haven't gotten back with the confirmation from the Apple Store in HKG. My colleague in Hong Kong who would phone them was out and today is a holiday there. Should know something tomorrow, but I'm certain there is no contract required, since Apple will sell it to you online, deliver it to you for free, you activate it at home, and they say that any SIM card will work. My only question is: does that mean any SIM card anywhere, or just a HKG SIM card?

More to follow....

Sorry I haven't gotten back with the confirmation from the Apple Store in HKG. My colleague in Hong Kong who would phone them was out and today is a holiday there. Should know something tomorrow, but I'm certain there is no contract required, since Apple will sell it to you online, deliver it to you for free, you activate it at home, and they say that any SIM card will work. My only question is: does that mean any SIM card anywhere, or just a HKG SIM card?

More to follow....

According to what I've read, that should be any SIM anywhere, since Apple are expecting these phones to turn up in other Asian markets as well.

Just a warning to anyone buying a locked iPhone 3G. Don't buy one now thinking you can just take it in somewhere to get it unlocked, because at this point in time there is no way to unlock it. I have my 2G iPhone unlocked and jailbroken to the latest firmware, but the 3G can only be jailbroken at this point in time (allowing the installation of 3rd party applications). An unlock is being worked on, but right now if you want an unlocked phone you need to make sure you buy an unlocked version.

So here is the word regarding iPhones in Hong Kong, and this is from the Apple Store hotline number there.

My colleague asked them: with the unlocked iPhone that is available on the Apple Store Hong Kong site, can I use any SIM card from any country, and without signing any sort of contract?

Apple: yes, the unlocked model that we sell here is just that: completely unlocked and you can use any SIM card with it. Once you have inserted your SIM card, you must activate the phone using iTunes, but there are no other requirements.

So that's it. A completely unlocked and contract-free iPhone 3G, available from Apple in Hong Kong. The 4 meg model costs HK$5400, or about 23,600 baht. I'll have mine next week and will verify that it actually works. Following that, anyone looking for an unlocked, jailbroken iPhone 4 meg classic? :o

• 2 weeks later...
So here is the word regarding iPhones in Hong Kong, and this is from the Apple Store hotline number there.

My colleague asked them: with the unlocked iPhone that is available on the Apple Store Hong Kong site, can I use any SIM card from any country, and without signing any sort of contract?

Apple: yes, the unlocked model that we sell here is just that: completely unlocked and you can use any SIM card with it. Once you have inserted your SIM card, you must activate the phone using iTunes, but there are no other requirements.

So that's it. A completely unlocked and contract-free iPhone 3G, available from Apple in Hong Kong. The 4 meg model costs HK$5400, or about 23,600 baht. I'll have mine next week and will verify that it actually works. Following that, anyone looking for an unlocked, jailbroken iPhone 4 meg classic? :o

Just to follow up on this...

I obtained a new 3G iPhone from an Apple Store in Hong Kong. Purchase was easy: just pay for it and walk out of the store. The phone then requires activation using iTunes. So, I inserted my AIS (Thailand) SIM card, connected the iPhone to iTunes, activated it without a problem, and it works. It's fully functional, there are contracts and no limitations that I am aware of, although of course there is no 3G in Thailand.

Price was about 23,700 for the 4 meg version.

Does anyone know if the 3G prices have tumbled at MBK yet because of the unlocked iPhones that are easily available now in Hong Kong?

Just to follow up on this...

I obtained a new 3G iPhone from an Apple Store in Hong Kong. Purchase was easy: just pay for it and walk out of the store. The phone then requires activation using iTunes. So, I inserted my AIS (Thailand) SIM card, connected the iPhone to iTunes, activated it without a problem, and it works. It's fully functional, there are contracts and no limitations that I am aware of, although of course there is no 3G in Thailand.

Price was about 23,700 for the 4 meg version.

Does anyone know if the 3G prices have tumbled at MBK yet because of the unlocked iPhones that are easily available now in Hong Kong?

What's a iphone 4 meg version?

"It's fully functional, there are contracts and no limitations that I am aware of, although of course there is no 3G in Thailand."

There are or are not contracts? Congratulations on your 4 GB 3G phone LOL. It is becoming clear you have no idea what you are even talking about. Out of curiosity does it have a silver metal back?

"It's fully functional, there are contracts and no limitations that I am aware of, although of course there is no 3G in Thailand."

There are or are not contracts? Congratulations on your 4 GB 3G phone LOL. It is becoming clear you have no idea what you are even talking about. Out of curiosity does it have a silver metal back?

OK, it's an 8 GB 3G iPhone. You're right, I'm clueless...maybe I should have RTFM.

No, there was no contract. Just walk into an Apple Store in HKG, pay for it, put your SIM card in at home and activate it using iTunes. I actually activated my new phone using an AIS SIM card while I was in Manila, so there are clearly no geographical restrictions. There is good 3G coverage with two different carriers in the Philippines, but I was never able to connect to 3G service there; however, EDGE (and of course voice calls and SMS) worked without a problem.

I have read that there are a few 3G towers in Chiang Mai with AIS, but for practical purposes, there is no real 3G coverage in Thailand.

Many thanks for the HK report!! Now I know where I can get it should the need arise. That said, it looks like the iPhone (2G) will be the one phone that I had the longest of any phone ever. There is no 3G in Thailand for the foreseeable future so owning a 3G in Thailand is not any better than having a 2G.

Back home, I also found that the carriers in Europe haven't yet figured out about pre-paid data plans, so if you get a prepaid card there, there is no data. Period. Not for love or money.

Then there is the issue that the 3G isn't all that fast on many networks (e.g. USA, there are many reports of GPRS-EDGE-like speeds).

So that leaves a single advantage for the 3G: The built in A-GPRS sensor. More accurate and more importantly way faster location detection. As it is, getting the location on the 2G iPhone is very slow and error prone.

As for why the iPhone 3G is not sold in Thailand - maybe Apple will only sell in countries that have a 3G network?

Many thanks for the HK report!! Now I know where I can get it should the need arise. That said, it looks like the iPhone (2G) will be the one phone that I had the longest of any phone ever. There is no 3G in Thailand for the foreseeable future so owning a 3G in Thailand is not any better than having a 2G.

Back home, I also found that the carriers in Europe haven't yet figured out about pre-paid data plans, so if you get a prepaid card there, there is no data. Period. Not for love or money.

Then there is the issue that the 3G isn't all that fast on many networks (e.g. USA, there are many reports of GPRS-EDGE-like speeds).

So that leaves a single advantage for the 3G: The built in A-GPRS sensor. More accurate and more importantly way faster location detection. As it is, getting the location on the 2G iPhone is very slow and error prone.

As for why the iPhone 3G is not sold in Thailand - maybe Apple will only sell in countries that have a 3G network?

Having had the new iPhone for a week now, I suppose there might be a couple of other advantages. It's smaller, although I have to admit that I liked the aluminium back on the classic iPhone. Apparently Apple had to go to plastic to facilitate GPS reception. The GPS is actually quite handy, and it can even calculate and display driving directions in English. I've found that many locations in Bangkok can be found, including hotels, shopping malls, place names, and the search can be entered in English. The Google maps are quite detailed, although those display in Thai. The v2.1 software has some advantages as well, although I guess that can be done with an upgrade on the classic iPhone.

And one minor revision to the 3G: the phone jack is now a normal surface mount jack so I can use my Bose headphones on the plane without carrying around that silly adapter, and I have lost two of those already!

There are a couple of other new features for the 3G, such as UMTS/HSDA capability (which should give you access to more networks). The speaker is much louder, which is a big advantage from my experience.

Interestingly, unlocked 3G iPhones seem to be going for 30K baht and up at MBK, while they are freely available in Hong Kong for less than 24,000 in Hong Kong.

• 1 month later...

Having had the new iPhone for a week now, I suppose there might be a couple of other advantages. It's smaller, although I have to admit that I liked the aluminium back on the classic iPhone. Apparently Apple had to go to plastic to facilitate GPS reception. The GPS is actually quite handy, and it can even calculate and display driving directions in English. I've found that many locations in Bangkok can be found, including hotels, shopping malls, place names, and the search can be entered in English. The Google maps are quite detailed, although those display in Thai. The v2.1 software has some advantages as well, although I guess that can be done with an upgrade on the classic iPhone.

And one minor revision to the 3G: the phone jack is now a normal surface mount jack so I can use my Bose headphones on the plane without carrying around that silly adapter, and I have lost two of those already!

There are a couple of other new features for the 3G, such as UMTS/HSDA capability (which should give you access to more networks). The speaker is much louder, which is a big advantage from my experience.

Interestingly, unlocked 3G iPhones seem to be going for 30K baht and up at MBK, while they are freely available in Hong Kong for less than 24,000 in Hong Kong.

Bubba, I just received a Hong Kong 3G iPhone here in Thailand as well and am wondering if you were asked for Country Information when you registered it via iTunes? Would it matter if I wanted to register that my address is in USA versus Thailand? What country did you put down? Thanks for your help and this was an excellent post. I had the same questions you had as well.

Regards,

Stout

More to follow....

Where. Only HKG or SEA region?

Thanks.