Dtôn Dtà Groo

Khonwan

Hi Khonwan,

After our phone chat today [your mrs and mine] its seems like the tree has a lot more uses than decoration, i would think all older trees do this, anyway, just to enlighten the forum, it grows quicker than euca and a year old tree will sell for 80bht, used for paper ect, the week old tree will cost 9/15 bht to buy and is grown from seed,

The pics below are of a 7/10 day old and the bigger one is 1 month old, the lady here who grows them from seed gave us the smaller plant, so i will put this on farm and check growth.

And perhaps Khonwan can fill in the rest of the details if his connection holds long enough,

Ive tried a google search for the tree, but i need mrs help with this, its all thai!! Cheers, Lickey..

post-41116-1222537861_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1222537874_thumb.jpg

Hi Lickey

Thanks for your phone call and pictures. The information via the ladies is as follows.

Saplings around 20cm cost Bt6-10 and attain (Thai!) waist-level height after only one month. The trees are used for paper, furniture and construction timber. They sell for Bt1,000 at one year, Bt2,000 at three years, Bt3,000 at five years. The saplings are planted at 1m x 1m (1,600 trees per rai).

My only interest in this is that there was a meeting in our village where villagers were being urged to rent out their land for Bt10,000 per rai per year under a 5-year lease. The land would then be planted with these trees. The trees are said to be thinned out and harvested at the rate of 300 per rai per year. It is not clear to me who was behind this but it was indicated that it may be a company overseas (hence the ridiculously high rental offer).

Am I interested?

• I would most certainly rent my land out at Bt10k per rai per year if anyone was crazy enough to offer this.

• I would most certainly not plant this tree myself.

This is simply the latest fashionable crop, which will go the same way as Leelawadi trees, etc. I’ll stick with cassava.

I’m still interested in the English (or Latin) name if anyone knows it.

Rgds

Khonwan

• 7 months later...

My wife is very interested in buying some of these trees for our small rubber plantation in Klaeng. Anyone know where we can buy these and what sort of price would we need to pay for them??? :)