Humanitarian Visa

Hi All,

My multi non b run out soon and am looking for the easiest next option?

My lawyer told me if i went with my (Thai) wife to suan plu she could ask them to issue me a "humanitarian visa" to stay another 6 months or maybe year (if show i have funds)

never heard of this before anyone know about it?

It is a non immigrant o visa based upon marriage. The short term for it is non-o.

First you have to apply for a change of visa from non-b to non-o at immigration.

You can go to the thai immigration website to give you the basics on this.

Link: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=service

When you do this they will give you a 90 day extension of stay.

Before the ninty days are over you apply for a one year extension of your visa.

The big hurdel to start the process is income. You need to show income of at least 40,000 per month. It can be tax payments for the last three months, a letter from your consulate and etc.

There will be more members posting additional information.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ubonjoe

You do not apply for change of visa. You just apply for an extension of stay based on your mariage to a Thai national.

Look here for the requirements, under point 7.17.

http://www.lawyer.th.com/National_Police_O...er_Oct_2006.pdf

As every immigration office more or less has its own rules call them first to see which documents they require and bring your wife with you. The proof of income of 40,000 baht can be your income, your wife's income or both combined. Income from within Thailand need tom be shown with tax documents. For income from abroad you have to go to your embassy and ask them for a letter stating you income.

You do not apply for change of visa. You just apply for an extension of stay based on your mariage to a Thai national.

Look here for the requirements, under point 7.17.

http://www.lawyer.th.com/National_Police_O...er_Oct_2006.pdf

As every immigration office more or less has its own rules call them first to see which documents they require and bring your wife with you. The proof of income of 40,000 baht can be your income, your wife's income or both combined. Income from within Thailand need tom be shown with tax documents. For income from abroad you have to go to your embassy and ask them for a letter stating you income.

Thanks All,

I have no income to show but do have funds outside thailand ? can I apply for a non O here if I send enough money into my Thai account?

I think you are incorrect. You cannot extend a non-b visa based upon marriage. It must be changed to a non-o based upon marriage.

Under change visa on immitgration web site this after selecting "For a family member of a Thai (applicable only parents, spouse or child)" this is the heading.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR A FAMILY MEMBER OF A THAI (APPLICABLE ONLY PARENTS, SPOUSE OR CHILD.

Thanks All,

I have no income to show but do have funds outside thailand ? can I apply for a non O here if I send enough money into my Thai account?

No. To apply for a years extension based on marriage to a Thai lady you need a family INCOME of 40,000 Baht a month. NOT savings.

As Mario said you do not need a Non O Visa.

Without the income the best they will give you is 60 days to visit your wife.

The first thing he has to do is get his visa changed no proof of income required for that. He then has time to sort out the income thing.

I think I have seen posts where they gave ninty days on a visa change. Even sixty days should be enough.

If he has savings outside the country and has been bringing in money on a regular basis it might be enough to get a letter from his consulate it just depends on where he is from, They will take a letter for non-o extensions.

Edited by ubonjoe

...My multi non b run out soon and am looking for the easiest next option?...

If I take “easiest option” to mean the option that requires the least displacement of your butt it will be the marriage extension suggested above by Mario2008. If between yourself and your wife you do not have the necessary 40k income per month you can have your wife run around a little and get tax receipts on a fictitious income of that amount. I have seen this method mentioned a few times in this forum, sometimes reportedly even suggested by an immigration officer to a foreigner in this situation.

--

Maestro

...You cannot extend a non-b visa based upon marriage. It must be changed to a non-o based upon marriage...
The first thing he has to do is get his visa changed no proof of income required for that. He then has time to sort out the income thing...

I think I know why you are confused and this confusion is understandable. It is because a lot of people, even the Immigration Bureau on its website, sometimes say “visa” and mean “permission to stay” or “extension of permission to stay”

A change of visa at an immigration office is a change from another type of visa or visa-exempt entry to a non-immigrant visa. Being in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa or, more precisely, on a permission to stay after having entered Thailand on a non-immigrant visa, is one of the requirements for the application for the marriage extension.

The non-B visa already is a type of non-immigrant visa and therefore no change of visa is necessary or can be done in this case. What somebody on an employment extension does is apply for a marriage extension before his employment extension expires. Although sometimes or even often called "visa extension", these extensions are not visa extensions but extensions of permission to stay.

--

Maestro