What's The Stupidest Thing You've Seen

taxidriver

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the poster who is embarassed by Farang who wear native clothes.

I apologise for being one of these poor misguided Farang and am deeply sorry if I have ever embarassed you.

Have you ever stopped to consider why the locals wear certain attire? It could be that they are more comfortable in the climate. I often wear cool local clothing as it can make the hottest times more tolerable and I do not consider that I look any more stupid than the bulk of Farang who wear the typical T shirt and shorts!

if it was purely for comfort you wouldnt wear underwear, which i might add is illegal in thailand not to wear underwear, so there you are in your big sweaty y fronts and thai attire, how stupid is that???

stroll some of us are not aussies, we like to shower and bathe,.

as for thai attire, if you do not know what that is you really should spend some time looking around, you will see lots of thais in it.

as for the thai law of wearing underpants i am sure a member of so many posts as yours stroll know that it is infact against the law to go out in public not wearing underwear, i am sure that you know this stroll, obviousily if you do not know this then we would question your apptittude on walking and chewing gum at the same time...

What I also hate (though it never happens in Thailand) is when you tell someone you live in Thailand (purely as a matter of fact statement) and they reply back "Oh I love Thai food so much!".

Assuming that I am a frigging cooking expert, they then proceed to ask me why their green curry/red curry/Pat Thai/Laksa never comes out right when they make it at home. When they find out they need to put fish sauce in it, their faces scrunch up in disgust telling me they can't stand the smell (while they continue to insist that Laska is actually a Thai staple).

The other type of person that I hate is the person who comes to LOS and then states that they prefer their local Thai restuarant at home, or the ones who live in Thailand for years and only ever get their Thai food from Blue Elephant on Sarthorn or Baan Kanitia in Ruam Rudee, or Kuppa in Sukhumvit and get amazed - and slightly off put - when I take them to Soi Ari for some real thai food.

I went to a snake zoo, I see macho falang with BG. He goes over to a

big boa and as he gets close the BG says "no touch!". The macho guy retorts

"Dont worry its not venomous" like he is some expert. You can guess the rest.

I laughed so hard I thought I broke a rib. Then a Thai guy charged him 400bt

for a bandage :o

"Dont worry its not venomous" like he is some expert.  You can guess the rest.

I laughed so hard I thought I broke a rib.  Then a Thai guy charged him 400bt

for a bandage :o

They're not venomous.

for a bandage :D

They're not venomous.

They do, however, bite. :o

The other type of person that I hate is the person who comes to LOS and then states that they prefer their local Thai restuarant at home, or the ones who live in Thailand for years and only ever get their Thai food from Blue Elephant on Sarthorn or Baan Kanitia in Ruam Rudee, or Kuppa in Sukhumvit and get amazed - and slightly off put - when I take them to Soi Ari for some real thai food.

True Thai food can be had at the Cabbage&Condoms restaurants.

Many bus loads of packaged tourists have left with that impression.

Watched scores of farangs arriving for breakfast and waing the girl that allocates the tables.

She must had been used to it, wasn't even waing back.

Don't fully see the point of this anecdote.The loser,if there is one,is the Thai girl who doesn't respond to the wai since it is ungracious not to.But then again who can really blame her?The farang tourists may have erred in being a little to eager to wai, but it's a fault on the right side:they were tring to be pleasant and fit in with their understanding of good local manners.How does their behaviour embarrass you? All in all a thoroughly pointless example.

It's not ungracious to not respond to a wai in an inappropriate or completely unexpected situation. It's certainly not an absolute requirement to give a return wai.

:o

Yes and no.I consulted a Thai colleague who pointed out manners have changed a bit in the last 20 years.It is now quite rude not to respond to a wai even though it might be rather half hearted depending on the status of the wai giver.As I said I certainly don't criticise the girl in the example given.However it would have been gracious if she had responded to the tourists misconceived wais.Interestingly my Thai colleague said every situation is different and it would be very difficult for even the most experienced farang to get it right (let alone make the wai in the charming and riaproi Thai way) unless brought up in Thai culture when a child.

Edited by RDN

for a bandage :D

They're not venomous.

They do, however, bite. :o

Along with a nasty squeeze too :D

Saw a kraut who thought he was living out a scence from easyrider hoon past the Asoke bars to impress the 'ladies' then hit the gutter and then go through a phonebooth (partially). Very pissed. Not very cool in the end. Harsh I know, but he was a TOSSER.

stroll some of us are not aussies, we like to shower and bathe,.

as for thai attire, if you do not know what that is you really should spend some time looking around, you will see lots of thais in it.

as for the thai law of wearing underpants i am sure a member of so many posts as yours stroll know that it is infact against the law to go out in public not wearing underwear, i am sure that you know this stroll, obviousily if you do not know this then we would question your apptittude on walking and chewing gum at the same time...

The number of posts does not reflect the level of knowledge, nor does being a newbie exempt you from using your brain before posting.

The Thais in my neighbourhood wear all sorts of attire, I have not cared to investigate whether y-fronts are obligatory. Considering the practice of lawenforcement (prostitution is illegal too), I wouldn't get hung up on wearing underpants if I were you. :o:D

Re the poster who is embarassed by Farang who wear native clothes.

I apologise for being one of these poor misguided Farang and am deeply sorry if I have ever embarassed you.

Have you ever stopped to consider why the locals wear certain attire? It could be that they are more comfortable in the climate. I often wear cool local clothing as it can make the hottest times more tolerable and I do not consider that I look any more stupid than the bulk of Farang who wear the typical T shirt and shorts!

if it was purely for comfort you wouldnt wear underwear, which i might add is illegal in thailand not to wear underwear, so there you are in your big sweaty y fronts and thai attire, how stupid is that???

How stupid is a moronic reply such as this one

I'm suprised no one has thought of this:

wear a nicely pressed short sleeved shirt & tie, ponce around on their mountain bike's in some BKK suburb for a bit, then as a token gesture, pick up some litter - and then try to convert everyone in the immediate vacinity to their religion...

WOULD YOU PERLEASE <deleted> OFF!!!!!! :o

**disclaimer** the wifes opinion! honest like!

Loong: In reply to you about 'tribal attire', I truly mean 'tribal'. Not 'local'. Very different in my opinion.

By tribal, I mean people getting around in Karen hilltribe sarongs and shirts, straw hats and other assorted gear.

Personally, I have been known to wear sarongs, but never in Bangkok, and never usually in public. I have worn fishermans pants, but RARELY in Bangkok (unless I have not been able to dress myself properly in the morning). I have worn silly hats, but only when called for (which isn't in Bangkok).

Many people forget that Bangkok is a huge international city. I would certainly not dress the way that many people choose to dress here in my own home town.

Whatever floats your boat, but I think it looks silly. My opinion. I'm entitled to it.

Anyone who has come here to buy a bar.

Farang wives who complain how stupid/lazy their maids are "They don't even speak English!! She hadn't finished when I got back from tennis" etc. Like they have maids at home.

Anyone who stays at a five star hotel, to get the "real' Thai experience.

Anyone who believes that their "new girlfriend" just happened to meet her nine best mates who hadn't eaten yet, as you two were going into that posh restaurant place.....

String vest and shorts at the Dept of Immigration help desk.

The guy who asked me to translate "I know you are angry because I slept with your sister, but..."

Farang wives who complain how stupid/lazy their maids are "They don't even speak English!! She hadn't finished when I got back from tennis" etc. Like they have maids at home.

Anyone who stays at a five star hotel, to get the "real' Thai experience.

Anyone who believes that their "new girlfriend" just happened to meet her nine best mates who hadn't eaten yet, as you two were going into that posh restaurant place.....

String vest and shorts at the Dept of Immigration help desk.

The guy who asked me to translate "I know you are angry because I slept with your sister, but..."

I agree with everything you say especially the farang wives and string vest comment. :o

As far as "anyone who buys a bar".. well, sour grapes maybe?

I'm suprised no one has thought of this:

wear a nicely pressed short sleeved shirt & tie, ponce around on their mountain bike's in some BKK suburb for a bit, then as a token gesture, pick up some litter - and then try to convert everyone in the immediate vacinity to their religion...

WOULD YOU PERLEASE <deleted> OFF!!!!!!  :o

**disclaimer** the wifes opinion! honest like!

No Phazey, don't agree with you.

The stupidest thing would have been me failing to mow down with my car a pair of said Utah mountain bikers while taking a shortcut through the back soi's of Ladprow.

The stupidest thing would have been me failing to mow down with my car a pair of said Utah mountain bikers while taking a shortcut through the back soi's of Ladprow.

Spotted the word 'Utah' in there. Are mormons (nearly typed 'morons' :o ) known in the States for being mountain-bikers or something? Any seppo care to enlighten this soapy?

Lay a burn out on a motor bike and empty three bars due to smoke

Pay the bar fine for every girl in the bar and take them out to party

Get all the girls in the bar drunk before before the boss turns up

pay 10 BG 400 bht each to walk around the bar in there nickers

Buy a new bike then make it as loud as possibble to piss off all the fags in the area

#$%^&$#@ Shit it sounds just like me having fun about 4 years ago

But the most stupid thing I have seen is farangs complaining about farangs

Had a friend from LA visit me in BKK. I taught him a few words of Thai and explained how gender works, told him about the masculine particle "krap" and feminine particle "ka" added to the end of a sentence. Guess I didn't explain it well enough. He was wondering why all the women never took him seriously; later I heard him greet the male clerk in apartment front office with a "sawadee krap", but then he went on to try to show off to the ladies in the office, and greet them by saying "sawadee ka" to every one of them!

Those are dozens of inward facing teeth in the mouth of that boa.

87snakefarm3.JPG

I can only imagine the nasty scar he has from his total lack of common sense.

-----------------------------------------------------

"As far as "anyone who buys a bar".. well, sour grapes maybe?"

Might be a story there, I'm thinking? :D:D

But you have to remember Dave, not all of us are the Sam Walton's of the bar business!

-----------------------------------------------------

"Pay the bar fine for every girl in the bar and take them out to party"

And exactly what is wrong with that? :D It was a small bar and I had a HECK OF A NIGHT! :D:D:o

~WISteve

Spotted the word 'Utah' in there. Are mormons (nearly typed 'morons' :o ) known in the States for being mountain-bikers or something? Any seppo care to enlighten this soapy?

No idea regarding Mormons & Mountain bikes in the US but the local Bangkok contingent are usually to be seen in pairs on mountain bikes making the streets safe for whatever.

Personally I would chip in to send these missionaries back home for good