A Question On Tax

As a consultant I normally never stay long enough in any country to pay taxes as I travel around Asia on various projects continuously. Currently I am working on a factory project in northern Thailand which has had it fair share of interesting moments including floods. I now find that this year I have spent so far 153 days and the likely hood is that I will need to spend at least a further 45 – 60 days to resolve some of the more pressing problems. And this brings me to my question, I am in Thailand as a Consultant on a 12 months Business Visa so does anyone know what will be my tax position after 180 days. I do not receive payment in Thailand but to an account in Hong Kong as I normally stay there most of the time. Would it be safe to stay over 180 days or should I leave before the time is up.

As a consultant I normally never stay long enough in any country to pay taxes as I travel around Asia on various projects continuously. Currently I am working on a factory project in northern Thailand which has had it fair share of interesting moments including floods. I now find that this year I have spent so far 153 days and the likely hood is that I will need to spend at least a further 45 – 60 days to resolve some of the more pressing problems. And this brings me to my question, I am in Thailand as a Consultant on a 12 months Business Visa so does anyone know what will be my tax position after 180 days. I do not receive payment in Thailand but to an account in Hong Kong as I normally stay there most of the time. Would it be safe to stay over 180 days or should I leave before the time is up.

If you are here on a work permit, then you will be paying tax already, from day 1, you may just not know it, the company you are working for may be paying it for you, seeing as you are being paid in HK, you are basically working on a "double contract" type deal.

The company you are working for, the one who arranged you work permit may just be stating minimum salary for you THB 50,000/60, 000 month and paying the tax which would be around 10%

As far as I am aware there is no "tax-holiday" while working in Thailand on a full work permit. Think the only expection to the rules is for those people on emergency work permits and you can only be issued 14 days permission on this, so not worth going through the hassles of registering people for tax.

The 180 day rule as far as I know is related to being a classed as being "resident" in Thailand.