Leaving With A New Passport (no Entry Stamp)

My child was born in Thailand to non-Thai parents. Until we get his paperwork sorted in Australia, he'll have no nationality - effectively an illegal alien in Thailand. When we finally get his papers sorted, his Australian passport will not have an entry stamp. Will this cause problems? Or only if we're random stopped, he not having a visa?

Technically wasn't he staying without a visa the moment he was born? Is there some relaxation of those rules for babies?

Your child has Australian nationality by way of birth. The passport just is a way to proof his claim to be a Australian national.

I don't know about the procedure. But It won't be any problem. The birth certificate will show he was born in Thailand and therrefor hasn't got a visa. Also there is no fine for overstay for minors and they sure are not going to arrest a baby.

You might contact immigration, explain the situation and ask for advise. Your embassy might be another option for information.

Your child has Australian nationality by way of birth. The passport just is a way to proof his claim to be a Australian national.

I don't know about the procedure. But It won't be any problem. The birth certificate will show he was born in Thailand and therrefor hasn't got a visa. Also there is no fine for overstay for minors and they sure are not going to arrest a baby.

You might contact immigration, explain the situation and ask for advise. Your embassy might be another option for information.

Would also guess you need to register the birth with the Aussie embassy in BKK as well and would think you will given some paper work

I went through this some time ago. You must have a travel document for the child you must register the birth at the Australian embassy in Bangkok if you do not you will have endless problems. You must then get an Australian passprt or the baby. Once you have an Australian passport for the child you will be asked by the immigration at the thai airport for a Birth Certificate. If you have this there is no problem they just make a new entry card for the baby so you can exit. If you are on your own as a father you may, as I did have a very nice Thai girl sit next to you and talk for a while, she turned out to be immigration as she said something to the last immigration policeman before the plane and I was treated very very politely.

Edited by harrry

When ever I get a new passport the old one is returned. Just take it along when you leave and no problem. If you need visa stamps transferred that's another issue. Sorry should have read the OP I don't think it is a big deal with infants or children no overstay fine is charged.

Edited by rocky3

My son was born in Bangkok in May 2002 (both parents non-Thai). The original Thai birth certificate has the notation in Thai in the upper-left corner stating "Person residing temporarily or illegally in the Kingdom. Not eligible for Thai citizenship."

You should register your son's birth with the Australian Embassy as soon as possible. You will receive an "Extract from Register of Citizenship by Descent", which will serve as your son's Australian citizenship certificate for life. With that extract, you can apply for his Australian passport. The passport, plus the Thai birth certificate, will get you through Immigration on the way out - just allow an extra 15 minutes or so as you will be taken to the desks behind the immigration queues for a form and a departure card to be filled out.

Note that Australian passports take two weeks to receive from the date of application, as all passports are made in Australia (until about 3 years ago, the Australian Embassy in Bangkok had blank passports and could make passports locally - this is no longer the case).