Breakfast In Chiang Mai,where?

pargiyon

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i visited almost every establishment recommended in the last series of posts on this subject. apart from mad dog i was surprised that the others were mentioned at all as they were overpriced and concluded that the posts were made by the owners. sorry probably libellous but its my personal opinion. 1 place had a cup of yorkshire tea on its menu for 60 baht.

i also swear i am not associated with mad dog

A cool thing about Mad Dogs is that a couple times, when ordering breakfast, I explained how to cook eggs in a manner other than fried hard as a rock. Now my eggs ordered over easy come with one cooked correctly and the one beside it hard as a rock. To me that is big progress so they get my vote

i visited almost every establishment recommended in the last series of posts on this subject. apart from mad dog i was surprised that the others were mentioned at all as they were overpriced and concluded that the posts were made by the owners. sorry probably libellous but its my personal opinion.

You sound like a Cheap Charlie.

When you get someone else to cook, serve and clean up for you, they usually want to make what is known as a profit.

The better the quality of the food and service, the better the profit.

I'm sure that you can put some eggs on toast for a cheaper price than these restaurants, but they are not a bad deal for those of us who prefer to have someone else do these things for us. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

that place next to the bar beer centre that used to be true blue ( dominoes ) , english fella has it , went there and the breakfast was excellent superb sausages beans the works . cant remember how much but if i was to start worrying about a few quid for good food i probably wouldnt bother going out

that place next to the bar beer centre that used to be true blue ( dominoes ) , english fella has it , went there and the breakfast was excellent superb sausages beans the works . cant remember how much but if i was to start worrying about a few quid for good food i probably wouldnt bother going out

It's now called The Gate Inn, still English run, and I agree.

Back down Moon Muang, Mad Dog Nick, the most smiley, charming and erudite host in the land (not!!!!!!!!!!!) puts on a good brekky but I agree with another poster about his miserable, unsmiling staff. The only reason they are like that is that they have to work for him.

Round the back of the same building (in soi 2) is Half Moon Pub where the breakfast is SLIGHTLY better, the value for money SLIGHTLY greater and the staff SUPERBLY happier, because they are working for a consistently pleasant, straight forward bloke.

For me, no contest.

PS: Dam good place for pool too!

THE MAD DOG.

First time was the last time for me at The Mad Dog.

I can't recommend it at all.

Start with the open-air plan, no air-con.

Not only the heat, humidity, and traffic pollution, but black flies, free, with every breakfast.

Continue to the sullen service girl.

Add in the toughest bacon you can imagine, plus tasteless sausages.

Grease-laden potatoes, that are not quite cooked all the way through.

Ketchup gone sour from the heat.

Perfectly acceptable beans, accompanied by half-green tomato.

My summary of The Mad Dog: one of the worst breakfasts I've ever tried to eat.

Nice cuppa Lipton tea, though.

Now, when you ask about brekie, you ought to specify English or American style.

I'm still searching for the best English breakfast here.

But for American, the best I've found -- by far -- would be Blue Smoothie restaurant, in Nimmanhaemin Road.

Home-made bread for regular toast and French toast.

Scrambled eggs, done just right, with onion and spinach and cheese, if you wish.

A very nice eggs Benedict, with home-made hollandaise sauce with a proper hint of lemon, and your choice of either crispy bacon strips or smoked salmon.

Home-made bagels and cinnamon buns.

Pancakes with maple-flavour syrup (no, not the real thing).

Nice cuppa Lipton, tea, too.

One thing I can't recommend at Blue Smoothie are the smoothies.

Not really bad, just bland; not much flavour there.

Oh, and the avocado guacamole is not so great either.

I haven't figured out what's wrong with that, but it was disappointing.

Stick with breakfast.

Breakfast at Blue Smoothie is served all day, until closing somewhere around 20:00.

Indoor seating with air-con, or outdoor tables for those don't mind the noise and pollution of busy Nimman Road.

Quiet, soothing, "blues" music; they never play any American slum rap.

However, the location puts it at the opposite end of the known universe from the Night Bazaar.

To get there from Thapae Gate or Loi Kroh Road probably requires a connection thru Singapore, to get cleaned up.

And it's not cheap.

You can eat nicely for 100-120 baht, but it's not a place where Cheap Charlies would be happy

The main thing I dislike about Blue Smoothie is it attracts many, sullen, backpackers and lots of overly-loud, farang females.

I don't know why -- probably a Looney-Planet-recommended guest house near that area.

So I've learned the best time to go is after 13:00 when that sort have mostly gone off on their treking tours.

But that wouldn't be standard breakfast time for most people.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Breakfast thread again....

Oh well, I have to butt in because it's all Mad Dog again. Madness! The breakfast there is not that great and it just plain isn't friendly.... Walk around the corner into moon Muang Soi2 and go to The Half Moon instead. Far better breakfast IMHO, and friendly staff.

Google half moon chiang mai and have a look at their menu - they even have pictures... Unfortunately I have to work for a living so can only get down there at weekends - but maybe that's a good thing. Stop me being a fat git! :o

I last went in Maddogs at Songran. Sat there for a few hours watching the water fights, drank my 6 bottles of small heinekens limit, check binned and found out I was billed for 7. It happens sometimes. But when I asked Fon (the now very drunk acting bar manager while Gai wasn't there) to check, despite being shown 1 bill written by a different person from the others, her drunken response was to tell me "you rich, why you not pay, it only one drink", I told her that wasn't the point. In front of everyone she took my beer and poured it down the sink. Won't be going there again (unless I hear Fon has been sacked) despite being a regular since it was the Overlander before Nick bought it.

Edited by Loaded

I hear that a place called "ThaiVisa Search" is very good........... it's located at the top right of your screen. :D

Seriously, welcome to ThaiVisa. :D

Check out: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pay-Good-Bre...mp;hl=breakfast

Silly me. I should have known that there is always room for another thread about eating in CM............ :o

Well it beats hands-down worrying about Work/Mortgage/Chairman-Brown etc., eh Steve ? :D

I hear that a place called "ThaiVisa Search" is very good........... it's located at the top right of your screen. :D

Silly me. I should have known that there is always room for another thread about eating in CM............ :o

Well it beats hands-down worrying about Work/Mortgage/Chairman-Brown etc., eh Steve ? :D

Hi

I live on Nimanhemin, so around here Smoothie Blue is also my favorite.

Downtown, The Laughing Leprechaun gets my vote, and I stumbled upon the Chiangmai Saloon "Trail boss" breakfast last week, very good too. JJ's, Art Cafe , Bake 'n Bite, Queen Vic, Olde Bell, all good places as well. I won't go back to Mad Dog either.

Phil

Edited by pilou

Rose cafe.... Rachamanka road I think, owned by a German guy.... has a sign outside saying "Second best pizza in Chiangmai"

Walk about 400m down Ratchamanka road, opposite the U-turn just before Johns place.

Go down Ratchamanka, past the internet cafe on the right, go past Tiger pub on the left and it's on the corner of the first crossroads.

If you come out the soi of Smile guest house and turn right you can't miss it.

American breakfast, German breakfast and the best British breakfast I've found in Chiangmai. British, german and american sausages all available. Good bacon and baked beans or hash browns, 2 cups of tea or coffee plus a small OJ for 120bht.

Back down Moon Muang, Mad Dog Nick, the most smiley, charming and erudite host in the land (not!!!!!!!!!!!) puts on a good brekky

but I agree with another poster about his miserable, unsmiling staff. The only reason they are like that is that they have to work for him. . . .

Out of order!

Mad Dog is one of the few places one can visit in Chiang Mai and see the same staff time after time, I can't believe that would happen if the boss didn't treat them well. Admittedly there have been some new faces recently but that has been mainly down to staff getting married and going out into the big wide world with their respective new hubbies.

I've been going to Mad Dog for 7 years, the manager, cashier and cook have not changed in that time and I believe they have been with the place since Nick took it on.

JxP

Well it beats hands-down worrying about Work/Mortgage/Chairman-Brown etc., eh Steve ? :(

Abso-bloomin-lutely - not that I have either work or mortgage to worry about :D . And Brown - who he? Oh - just another PM in a faraway land........ :D

Still - all this controversy about Mad Dog or somesuch......... almost makes me want to drag my sorry a$$ along there to find out what all the fuss is about........

Ah well, rainy season seems to be nearly over - so maybe we (some of us) start to return to what passes here for normality soon :D .