Help With Building New Pc

Sabum

dam_n... if I had known the 300 raptor was that much faster than the 74 I wouldnt have bought the 74. The 74 was 5k, the 300 is 10k, woulda just skipped the whole thing and gotten a caviar black 1 terabyte as my boot drive.

Yep, they're really that much faster. I don't know about 'Black' edition drives, but the *Raptors have industrial warranties on them; it makes me feel much safer storing my data on them.

Whoa boys, this thread seems to have degenerated into mine is bigger than yours.

I don't see that. Yes, cgbartz and I posted the specs of our computers, he to to state that he thought that a larger PSU was warranted and me to point out that neither of us are even close to pushing our PSUs to their capacity. Sabum then listed his parts and vindicated my thoughts; he's using only a 550w PSU and has almost equivalent power consumption as us.

If you are building a home system and you are money conscious you certainly wont want to go the way of raptors.

That's a given, their price to performance ratio is ridiculously high if all you're concerned about is watching movies, playing solitaire, and surfing ThaiVisa.

In the normal home environment, internet, home publishing, photo processing etc you will never see the benefit over something similar to what I suggested earlier. Windows caches you data and it really is fast enough. If you are running a web site or such then that is a different thing.

Everybody has different experiences with components so you will get different views but really the reliability of componentry today is very good all round.

Some of us utilise our computers to their potential. Video transcoding is a huge resource hog. Media sharing requires massive hdd space. Gaming requires beefy graphics. The OP did not specify exactly what he wanted to do nor give a budget. Granted I think big, but I've had this same system for more than three years, and with the exception of adding hdds, will probably have it for a couple more.

Ya I definately needed a big weener computer, sorry but little ones just don't satisfy me. Im a heavy gamer, file sharer and multiple programs open at the same time kind of guy. Can anyone direct me to links comparing the 74 raptors with the 300's? I just want to see how bad a decision I made was.

Ya I definately needed a big weener computer, sorry but little ones just don't satisfy me. Im a heavy gamer, file sharer and multiple programs open at the same time kind of guy. Can anyone direct me to links comparing the 74 raptors with the 300's? I just want to see how bad a decision I made was.

First, it sounded like a bit of envy on the other posters part. I have nothing against 'lesser' computers, and probably wouldn't have come off so pissy if he hadn't had put that line in. Strike that section and I agree with the rest.

Tom's hardware (which I detest due to the dumbing down and ad riddled nature of) has the enterprise drive benchmark page which allows you to choose which benchmark you want to see.

Scratch that last link. For whatever reason it doesn't list the Raptors, you'll have to use the 3,5" and 2,5" links.

Edited by dave_boo

haha thanks man!

dam_n, if I had done just a bit more research I would have gone with a caviar black 1TB.... hmm so in your opinion is the 74 raptor at least pretty fast compared to standard western digital and other brand hard drives? Im assuming its faster but just not as fast as the newer raptors, thanks.

Edited by Sabum