Bugs Eatting New Bamboo House

blakegeee

My wife and I had a bamboo house built in her hilltribe village about a year ago. I has only been stayed in a few times as I am out of the country at the moment and its basically like our cottage anyways.

Apparently there are bugs eating the house up. We have been told by the locals that it has a lot of bugs due to the time of the year that the house was built and also the fact the the house is vacant.

The question is, what can be done about these bamboo-eating bugs? Just build a house a the right time of year once this one falls apart?

The question is, what can be done about these bamboo-eating bugs? ............

Nothing really, you might spray some shandrite, or boric acid, but that will only slow them down a little. The bugs are most probably powder post beatles and they mostly come with the bamboo and multiply like rabbits

Just build a house a the right time of year once this one falls apart?............

Yes, i heard that there is a right time to harvest bamboo so that the buggers arn't as many, It would seem that more mature bamboo would be less prone. Have also heard from locals that if the bamboo is immersed in water for several months, it helps.

The question is, what can be done about these bamboo-eating bugs? ............

Nothing really, you might spray some shandrite, or boric acid, but that will only slow them down a little. The bugs are most probably powder post beatles and they mostly come with the bamboo and multiply like rabbits

Just build a house a the right time of year once this one falls apart?............

Yes, i heard that there is a right time to harvest bamboo so that the buggers arn't as many, It would seem that more mature bamboo would be less prone. Have also heard from locals that if the bamboo is immersed in water for several months, it helps.

I have also heard about soaking the bamboo beforehand but I don't really have the place to do so. I guess it drowns any eggs or bugs. I guess we will have to look for some bug killer, shandrite or boric acid and try to slow them down for now. Thanks for the input.

I was also told about immersing bamboo for 3 months.

I was told it caused a chemical change which I figured would give it a permanent resistance. I would be very interested to know if it is permanent if anyone knows more.

John

I know you can buy bamboo that has been immersed for some period of time, but it is certainly much more expensive than cutting it out of the jungle...or buying non-immersed. Not sure the reason bugs no longer eat it or if its a permanent thing.