CVT Explained.....

Wow! How exciting! Brand new, the latest technology. For once, you’re right. It’s too complicated for simple folks like me. I like to K.I.S.S. Fewer moving parts, fewer things to go wrong. Common sense really, for those that have any.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, transam said:

Who posted a "sad", can I help you, what is sad about the thread..?  🤔 

Thanks for the video mate. 

Yes, the sad emoji's can be just as antagonizing as the confused. 

Cheers up 😬

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Wow! How exciting! Brand new, the latest technology. For once, you’re right. It’s too complicated for simple folks like me. I like to K.I.S.S. Fewer moving parts, fewer things to go wrong. Common sense really, for those that have any.

CVT has been around for at least 10 years. Disadvantages are having to change the CVT oil every 30k, and the "elastic band effect" on fast accelerating/overtaking a truck quickly as an example, but you can get used to that. They also have different modes of drive, such as Eco, normal, sport, and overdrive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

CVT has been around for at least 10 years. Disadvantages are having to change the CVT oil every 30k, a

Recommended CVT fluid changes on my present and previous car was 80.000 kms.....

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, petermik said:

Recommended CVT fluid changes on my present and previous car was 80.000 kms.....

Well I don't know what car you have, but I wouldn't leave it that long, a google search shows 60k Max. A new box would cost a fortune, compared to more frequent oil changes. Edit; I meant to add at say 2k an oil change and the price of a new box, that's about 20yrs.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well I don't know what car you have, but I wouldn't leave it that long, a google search shows 60k Max. A new box would cost a fortune, compared to more frequent oil changes. 

Nissan Sylphy/MG 5......

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

I suggest you do a google search, as I said 60k max. 

With my previous Sylphy a fluid condition check was carried out during the 60k service....all was good changed it myself (out of warranty) at 80k with Aisin CVT fluid.

My current MG 5 has only 25k on the clock at present but the service manual says change fluid/filter etc at 80k.

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

You were right about one thing, as I early posted, too complicated for you.........😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thanks for the video mate. 

Yes, the sad emoji's can be just as antagonizing as the confused. 

Cheers up 😬

Well, I am thinking of a few things for the motoring forum that maybe of interest, the video I found was just perfect for those who were interested.

When I posted it, a "sad" showed up, now that was confusing, oh, now 4 "sads"....🤔

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, transam said:

Well, I am thinking of a few things for the motoring forum that maybe of interest, the video I found was just perfect for those who were interested.

When I posted it, a "sad" showed up, now that was confusing, oh, now 4 "sads"....🤔

Anyway thanks for sharing something informative. Wondering though why they say CVTs can be found in SUVs and show a picture of an EX30 which obviously doesn't have one. And then they say they are found in Subaru WRX's. Anyone who buys a WRX and specs a CVT deserves to be shot.  As a previous WRX owner that thought is horrifying. Manual or nothing.

I have a Honda HR-V with a CVT and I hate it. The technology is good, but the experience is awful.  Soulless. Droning. Boring.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I used to have a Daf 44 and a Daf 55 back in the late 1970s and they were great cars for what they were designed for.

The biggest problem I had was when one of them broke a belt. It was still driveable, but slower and it was best to replace both belts at the same time, as the second belt is almost guaranteed to break at the most inconvenient place and time. Murphy's Law of CVT.

Thankfully, those days are gone, now metal link belts are the thing, plus on the more powerful rides, solid gears for launch..:clap2:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, transam said:

On our ride says change at 60kkm, but if you like the foot to the floor thing, it is recommended earlier. Though I am not a foot to the floor merchant any longer, I do change the fluid at about 30kkm, which is roughly every 2 years, so no big deal.

As for belt stretch, as our belt is of the steel variety, I have not noticed anything odd, and the box is now at 150kkm, still runs great......🤗

Same here although I do have to floor it sometimes to overtake Large trucks, on highways, and steep hill climbs on KC, I go with the 30kkm, or every third engine oil change as I like to think of it. (overdrive off going down steep hills). EDIT: I also put it in N when at lights, that's my thinking of 'resting' the box.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

For someone who likes to wind people up and can be quite insulting, you aren't half a sensitive little boy. Who gets upset by emojis??? Did you tell your mum?  I am wondering if you got them because you couldn't help yourself having a sad little dig at EV owners even in a topic that has nothing to do with EVs. Get a life. And it wasn't me by the way, I can't be bothered with emojis as I am a grown adult - nor do I bother looking when I receive them.

Anyway thanks for sharing something informative. Wondering though why they say CVTs can be found in SUVs and show a picture of an EX30 which obviously doesn't have one. And then they say they are found in Subaru WRX's. Anyone who buys a WRX and specs a CVT deserves to be shot.  As a previous WRX owner that thought is horrifying. Manual or nothing.

I have a Honda HR-V with a CVT and I hate it. The technology is good, but the experience is awful.  Soulless. Droning. Boring. In fact it reminds me of your posts.

This reads like the thread is not for you, perhaps you are now an EV owner, the motoring world revolves around you, or you are just an angry chappy..............😂

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, transam said:

As for belt stretch, as our belt is of the steel variety, I have not noticed anything odd, and the box is now at 150kkm, still runs great......🤗

41 minutes ago, transam said:

Thankfully, those days are gone, now metal link belts are the thing,

Seeing as we are in informative mode. Steel link CVT "belts" push they don't pull.🧐

Edited by VocalNeal

4 minutes ago, transam said:

This reads like the thread is not for you, perhaps you are now an EV owner, the motoring world revolves around you, or you are just an angry chappy..............😂

I was giving my opinion on CVTs on a thread about CVTs.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Seeing as we are in informative mode. Steel link CVT "belts" push they don't pull.

There are a few here that are confused with the thread, let's not confuse further........😂

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

I was giving my opinion on CVTs on a thread about CVTs.

And it is duly noted, though I was not the subject of the thread, CVT's were, so adios....................:cowboy:

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, transam said:

Who posted a "sad", can I help you, what is sad about the thread..?  🤔 

Nothing is "Sad" about it except, probably, the bloke you referred to who reported on his test drive of a CVT car and subsequently gave you  the first "Sad"!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

10 years?  It has been used in production cars since the late 50s.

Can't You READ I said AT LEAST ! So mister know it all what cars had the steel belt system in the late 50s. Do You have nothing better to do than jump on members posts Loopy Lou ?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

10 years?  It has been used in production cars since the late 50s.

Can't You READ I said AT LEAST !

Yes, I CAN READ; do you not KNOW that 60 years-plus is "AT LEAST 60 years", not "at least 10 years"!

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I CAN READ; do you not KNOW that 60 years-plus is "AT LEAST 60 years", not "at least 10 years"!

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So mister know it all what cars had the steel belt system in the late 50s.

So you can't answer that but I'm sure you'll find some BS.

• Like 1