Chiang Mai Updates?

farangajarn

My first posting here. I have been in Chiang Mai for some years but have been peacefully settled with my long term bf, so I have not kept up with whats going on with all the bars and gay scene. the pinned listings seem very outdated. Any comments or updates or information to catch me up? Many Thanks.

Hi, and welcome. Yes, the pinned listings get out of date when posters do not get around to the venues. Long term boyfriends, etc. Paagai used to keep us updated on some of the new venues, but we cannot rely on one poster. Let us know what you find. Now that you are out by Hang Dong you have a little further to travel in, I guess. I'm south of CMU on the klong. Nothing out here going on.

My first posting here. I have been in Chiang Mai for some years but have been peacefully settled with my long term bf, so I have not kept up with whats going on with all the bars and gay scene. the pinned listings seem very outdated. Any comments or updates or information to catch me up? Many Thanks.

Click on the web site below, then click on See our Guide. It has a lot of new information on the Chiang Mai Gay scene

http://www.radchada.com/

wow fast service! Many thanks BB and thanks to you also Peaceblondie! I checked the listings and found things I sure didnt know. If I stumble over something new I will let you know, but I dont get out much. My hilltribe bf still doesnt quite know he's gay after six years of being together. Peaceblondie, my bf reminds me of your comments on another thread about gay labels including gay. My bf really isnt in the closet or in denial or anything like that ...........he really just has no western concept. He's with me coz he likes me is what he tells me.........haha.

PeaceBlondie ...............western concepts. oh yeah. about six months ago i was visited by a straight but very gay friendly married couple. dear old friends. they met my hilltribe bf. he hosted them at dinner and was totally charming..........and with a total communication block.......him no English, they no Thai. He literally rocked many of their preconceptions of gay and asian identity. before they left they told me that Asia and Thailand felt far more foriegn, alien and different than any of many European countries they had visited. Just shows to go yah.

Radchada Cafe doesn't yet list LYC Chiang Mai, which is a fast-growing informal social group for Thai and Westerners in Chiang Mai. We now have over 150 members, and still growing. In October, we have a Saturday afternoon BBQ and a Halloween Costume party scheduled - our events are very well attended, very friendly to newcomers, and generally lots of fun!

You can visit our public website at

http://lyccnx.110mb.com

where you'll have the opportunity to apply for membership to our private social networking site which includes events calendar and invitations, profiles of members, chat, photos, videos, a forum and your own personal blog. (All G-rated, by the way; well, maybe PG ... )

PS - We've contacted Radchada Cafe to be added to their list; thanks so much for turning us on to their wonderful site!

Paagai used to keep us updated on some of the new venues, but we cannot rely on one poster.

:D Sorry, been a bit pre-occupied flying around the world trying to solve the world financial crisis recently :D (AKA, having to work for a living every other month..... :D ) so not so much time for posting.

Bungalow Bill has hit the spot with radchada.com; seems up to date and has some great google maps of how to find places too. I've been to the bar a couple of times; interesting place. Run by Khun Note, probably known to many Chiang Mai regulars as a veteran of "Friendship Bar" (not to mention a well known Soi in BKK :( ), pettite Katoey type who speaks good English and has a razor sharp tounge.....AYOR. This place is a local style bar, mainly students and some Tai Yai, OK for Ex-pats who can speak some Thai, but less suited to tourist newbies. Hard to say when to visit, couple of times I've been there its been dead, other times its a mega fun madhouse :o . Its very close to Santitham Plaza which includes a bar complex packed with small bars and lots of cute student types: happy hunting!

Otherwise, Chiang Mai continues as before: Massage places for cute gay boys, GoGo bars for straight, hunky, hill tribe/Burmese types and anyone of hundreds of local venues to meet genuine local gay guys (Shopping Malls, restaurants, bars, or just walking down the street!)

Some of the photos on Radchada.com are going into my personal collection! And since it mentions Grooves Club, it has been updated as recently as this site, with far more current info.

5555 I know what you mean, the photos look like a Chang Pheuak rogues gallery, they even have a couple of ex Adam's boys there, not to mention Sargent Bear Cub himself :D

I visited Club Grooves recently and was the only customer, sad as the manager seems to have a dream as to the business he wants, but a total lack of reality regarding how to achieve it. Dance club with funky DJs in a decrepid shop house; sorry but it won't work, especially just round the corner from Differ (large Thai disco at the rear of the old Simon Cabaret - also popular with gays and open late), the old Doi Boys was better, and thats REALLY saying something!

Rennovation work at the old Adams Apple, has apparently ground to a halt (closed since July 2006). Rumour is the local mafia don't want another gogo bar, especially owned by an American with an overly vocal personality.

Wow, am I ever glad to hear that our own Paagai has solved the financial condom...conundrum. Thanks.

Yes, I know the insides of the ex-Doi Boy well enough to think it is just too small. Same size shop house as their Doi Boy cabaret in Hua Hin. When Doi Boy ran out of its last A, Boi, and Nut, it was all over.

Santitam Plaza sounds like the very next thing.

Well, it sounds like i should be very happy, a bar, a pool, all i need now is a gym in Santitam, any of you tough guys know of one?

thanx Tim

Well, the good news is Santitham plaza has a Gym, Sauna and massage building right next to the pool! It also has a snooker hall upstairs. I believe the pool and Gym are open from 12:00 to 22:00 and cost 40 Baht each, the pool is quiet during the afternoon but fills up with a few kids early evening. As well as the Pool/Gym Santitham plaza also has a large barbecue place (Korean style all you can eat), many small bars, a nice coffee shop (with outdoor bar at night), an agent selling bus tickets and plenty of parking. Not to mention a plethora of cute guys wandering around :o . Note: I've always found these places very friendly, but they are Thai places catering for a Thai market, so don't expect much English, english menus etc etc. The streets around Santitham plaza are a maze - if you don't know how to get there, get on the Superhighway heading towards Huay Kaew/Nimanheminda then turn left immediately after the Grand View hotel keep going straight and you eventually end up in the Santitham Plaza car park.

There is another pool in Santitham on the Soi running parallel with Chang Phueak Soi 4, kinda behind Doi Boys/ Club Grooves. Fitness Thailand Gym in Icon Square is also quite close.