Phallus Symbols And Buffaloes To Attrract More Tourists

george

Hawking Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Culture Minister Worawat Ua-apinyakul has set out his stall of new ideas - amulets and ambassadors to attract more tourists

Local amulets in unusual shapes, like Nagas, phallus symbols and buffaloes, will soon hit souvenir stalls if newly-appointed Culture Minister Worawat Ua-apinyakul gets his way.

"They are cultural products," Worawat said yesterday.

He unveiled his bold idea in a talk about the Culture Ministry's 2009 policies.

"We can turn local amulets with phallus symbols and buffalo statuettes into key chains and sell them to tourists," Worawat insisted.

Phallus-shaped amulets

Known as Palad Khik, the phallus-shaped amulets are believed to magically protect their wearers, while the "Kwai Tanoo" buffalo statuettes are said to give their owners the power to harm others.

Worawat hoped that manufacturers would provide certificates of authenticity to show their wares were properly made.

"The back stories behind the amulets could inspire big-budget movies too," the new culture minister added.

Worawat reckoned that his idea was unprecedented but warned others not to view it with contempt.

Under his leadership, the Culture Ministry would actively invite income, investment and trade to Thailand via cultural ambassadors.

"South Korea sent cultural ambassadors to Thailand before its TV series became a hit here. And these days, a lot of Thais are learning Korean and eating Korean food," Worawat pointed out.

He also has a plan to work with the Education Ministry in developing a curriculum that focuses on local wisdom and natural riches.

"For example, my home province of Phrae can highlight the Phra Lor folktale. This romantic legend should be able to turn Phrae into a holiday destination for couples in love," said Worawat.

-- The Nation 2008-09-30

A unmistaken product of the Thai educational system; the biggest nitwits come through! :o

Not really.

Palad Khik are indeed a very under-appreciated folk art, as many Thai Amulets are. Some of the rarer handworked amulets are of astonishing beauty. I would suggest roaming some of the better amulet markets, browse some of the magazines, see some of the good collections, and come again.

The tales behind these Amulets are also excellent fantasy stories, fables full of Ghosts and other entities. They would make good movies if done by good directors. May i remind of the excellent most recent "Nang Naak" from ten years or so ago. Also the Khun Paen movie was not bad at all (Khun Paen amulets are some of the weirdest Thai amulets as well).

And as far as tourism might be concerned, you might be surprised - there are many very keen and affluent Thai amulet collectors already in Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and Hongkong.

This, for a change, is a good idea from the Culture Ministry.

Edited by Howsitgoin

the Culture Ministry's 2009 policies.

"We can turn local amulets with phallus symbols and buffalo statuettes into key chains and sell them to tourists," Worawat insisted.

"The back stories behind the amulets could inspire big-budget movies too," the new culture minister added.

remember that movie, james bond, the golden gun? 1974. bond on a boat in a khlong.a young boy jumps in the boat and try to sell Phallus-shaped amulets wooden elephants.

abb04ecd97197512c2194bdgv4.jpg

anyway, before others jumps on this - look, is The Nation.

that means the cultural minister introduced his policies for 2009, speaks in full length about all aspects of tourism development, including to support thai restaurants abroad to held PAD Thai Tom Yum Chicken (bird flu free) promotion weeks. how cultural traditions of the different provinces should be integrated, how blind mens could get a good job and carve panda bears in wood and so more on. and yeah, he also spoke about phallus amulets as part of the cultural tradition and dropped that sentence. but all in a boring 3 hours panel.

now The Nation journalists, have no clue about journalistic work, make a fine piece of neo-naive dadaism out of it. let 12 years old preadolescent pupils run the news in your country and we will have similar comical results.

The Nation don't write about mickey mouse reality, they are more orientated to write for mickey mouse minded readers.

if you got education you should know how to read it.

New cabinet, new IDEAS... they MUST be BIG!!!!

This is why permanent ministry staff HATE new ministers.

They always have to have some IDEA to make them look focused on SOMETHING.

I am sure the quality tourists they so want to attract through TOT will

be falling over to get a new penis pendant to wear around.....

Hey but it keeps the minster out of doing some serious damage I suppose.

Like going through the files ar demanding an 'reorganization of the ministry'.

They can certainly promote Thai folklore, there's nothing wrong with that, but the idea of calling people to come and buy wooden dicks to revive 20% slump in tourism could come only from a <deleted>.

There are plenty of them on sale already at every toursit market, everybody has seen them, hanging around or springing out of the boxes, not a pretty sight for children, especially moving toys.

Apologies everyone. I am most likely responsible for this. I wanted to buy one of those phallus amulets as a gift to a newly-married couple back home, with whom I am good friends. It was meant sort of as a gag gift, and partly due to my mistaken impression that these are considered to be fertility good luck charms.

I walked all over Jatujak and Khao San Road asking the various vendors if they knew of such a thing, and if so, where I could buy one. Unfortunately, none of them came through for me. I must have asked hundreds of vendors. This is obviously a side-effect of my over-zealous searching, which the Culture Minister has clearly caught wind of. The coincidence is too great for me to think it is unrelated.

I hope I haven't caused you all too much trouble.

Apologies everyone. I am most likely responsible for this. I wanted to buy one of those phallus amulets as a gift to a newly-married couple back home, with whom I am good friends. It was meant sort of as a gag gift, and partly due to my mistaken impression that these are considered to be fertility good luck charms.

I walked all over Jatujak and Khao San Road asking the various vendors if they knew of such a thing, and if so, where I could buy one. Unfortunately, none of them came through for me. I must have asked hundreds of vendors. This is obviously a side-effect of my over-zealous searching, which the Culture Minister has clearly caught wind of. The coincidence is too great for me to think it is unrelated.

I hope I haven't caused you all too much trouble.

You phallic trend-setter you!

Even if this was a small attention getting device tossed into a boring public announcement, it speaks to a complete lack of PR skills. There are plenty of talented artists in Thailand. Surely, they can be helped without pushing penis amulets. Does the promotion of such novelties improve the foreign perception of Thailand? Does the minister need to reinforce the common view that Thailand is where you go for sexual adventures? When the culture ministry promotes culture, penis amulets shouldn't even be part of the discussion.

I am surprised to see how little members know about the country they live in.

The venerable buffalo is the work horse of the Thai farmer.

Even the mechanical replacement is known as an Iron Buffalo.

Walk around any Thai village and you will see small boys with two penises.

One in the normal place and a second on a chord around their waist.

The parents obviously believe in the protective nature of these charms.

Why not promote this side of the culture.

" Known as Palad Khik, the phallus-shaped amulets are believed to magically protect their wearers, while the "Kwai Tanoo" buffalo statuettes are said to give their owners the power to harm others."

I have lost rack of the amount of people who refer to me as " Dick head " and my current Thai Girlfriend calls me a " Kwai " on an hourly basis.

Does this mean that I now am magicially protected and that I have the powers to harm others ?

Because it's not as attractive as they think. Why not promote Thailand as a country where you use toilet paper to wipe your mouth? It is true, it is cultural, it makes lots of sense, but it's a terrible tourism promotion pitch.

I am not surprised.

Some here hate the government with such fanatic passion that they do not even stop at ridiculing one of the main ingredients of Thai folk art and culture, if it serves their purpose.

Before these posters comment on politics, maybe they should begin to learn about the country they have chosen to live in, and its culture, and find out how much they do indeed disrespect Thai culture with these disgusting comments.

Amulets such as Palad Khik and countless other forms are well loved across all political and class boundaries, millions of Thais collect these amulets - it is their pride and joy. And if one does only superficially research this subject one cannot deny the unique artistic quality of these amulets.

Many comments in this thread do indeed remind one of neosahib attitudes of far too many westerners here.

:o

Edited by Howsitgoin

Why not promote Thailand as a country where you use toilet paper to wipe your mouth?

I use tissue off a roll on a regular basis.

Does the fact that it is large roll of kitchen tissue really make any difference? :o

"Known as Palad Khik, the phallus-shaped amulets are believed to magically protect their wearers, while the "Kwai Tanoo" buffalo statuettes are said to give their owners the power to harm others."

Okay, I'll be up for a big willy to protect myself against errrrm, err, well, whatever. But I'm already here so I don't have an issue with bashing my apartment door with my phallus.

But did I read that last part right....???

Kwai Tanoo give owners powers to HARM OTHERS?

Yup, I can see the sort of tourists that will appeal to.

This is a bit sexist really. In these politically correct times of equal opportunity it might be better to promote ' rubber vaginas ', attached to a key ring of course. These would sell a hel_l of a lot better to tourists who in numbers are predominantly male anyway and would equaly represent that facet of culture for which Thailand is currently famous for. :o The simple ideas are often best.

I am not surprised.

Some here hate the government with such fanatic passion that they do not even stop at ridiculing one of the main ingredients of Thai folk art and culture, if it serves their purpose.

Before these posters comment on politics, maybe they should begin to learn about the country they have chosen to live in, and its culture, and find out how much they do indeed disrespect Thai culture with these disgusting comments.

Amulets such as Palad Khik and countless other forms are well loved across all political and class boundaries, millions of Thais collect these amulets - it is their pride and joy. And if one does only superficially research this subject one cannot deny the unique artistic quality of these amulets.

Many comments in this thread do indeed remind one of neosahib attitudes of far too many westerners here.

:o

You really are one-eyed and shortsighted sometimes.

Yes, yes, we all know you hate other farangs with a passion as most of us have 'no love' for Thailand (or not enough to measure up to you at least).

But please realize: The ridicule is not regarding Thai culture per say. It's selling it to tourists and having it be a tourist magnet.

It doesn't matter if a country has child rape as a highly valued event, they will not be able to get the right clientel marketing their nation to the Western countries using it.

One has to use the right tools. While it was qisch to see all the African 30cm high statues in travelers bookshelfs in the -70ies, sporting enormous genitals, it's fairly blase now. And it won't bring tourists. How would they print it in the catalog and make a sexy slogan out of it?

Yes, yes, we all know you hate other farangs with a passion as most of us have 'no love' for Thailand (or not enough to measure up to you at least).

No, i just hate neosahibism and general ignorance.

"Child rape as a highly valued event"? Africa? :o

This is about promoting culture by way of highlighting folk art and folk tales, and at the same time creating economic possibilities for people. One of many aspects of attracting tourism and investment.

Lingam worship is very big in India, but at least those don't make you think that you are simply staring at a cock.

Some things are just meant to be private.

Yes, and more often than not that Lingam is displayed inside a Yoni, at times Nandi drinking from its waters at places of worship.

In fact - you are staring at a cock in a cun_t (to stay with your language), with a cow drinking the resulting fluids.

No, i just hate neosahibism and general ignorance.

"Child rape as a highly valued event"? Africa? :o

This is about promoting culture by way of highlighting folk art and folk tales, and at the same time creating economic possibilities for people. One of many aspects of attracting tourism and investment.

Well, good thing you aren't displaying that at least...

Before I went to Iraq (I was recalled from the Marine reserves back on active duty), my friends got together and gave me a very old Buddha and a 400-year-old carved buffalo horn of the type worn by soldiers to protect them in battle. I have gotten into the habit of wearing them, and whenever I am in Europe or the US, I get constantly stopped and asked about them. As a result, I have sent at least a dozen lower-cost amulets to people around the world at their request.  

So yes, I would say there would be interest in this kind of product.

Well, this thread inspired me to get off my butt and walk around to the Tuptim Shrine at the Nai Lert Hotel. Haven't been for ages.

Some cracking lingams there... some in polystyrene and some seven feet tall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11401580@N03/2903505735/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11401580@N03/2904344296/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11401580@N03/2903492959/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11401580@N03/2904332488/

Seems the Nai Lert is doing okay. Geezer on the reception desk said they were at 85% occupancy through September. So it may be working for them !

(But I personally can't see their Tuptim Shrine matching the tourist attractions of Krabi, Ayuthhaya and Sukothai when it comes to the Audreys and Malcolms of Tunbridge Wells.)

I know a rather lovely lady who says it's hard to find a good dick....or was it's good to find a hard dick...anyway, the whole idea is rather begnign and they could focus on something causing all of us a lot of inconvenience.

I know a rather lovely lady who says it's hard to find a good dick....or was it's good to find a hard dick...anyway, the whole idea is rather begnign and they could focus on something causing all of us a lot of inconvenience.

A hard man... is good to find.

Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Mae West

Anyway, once this nonsense has died down, the government will have to concentrate on the possibility of holding erections if the PPP is dissolved.