Phallus Symbols And Buffaloes To Attrract More Tourists

george

The Nation journalists, have no clue about journalistic work, make a fine piece of neo-naive dadaism out of it. let 12 years old preadolescent pupils run the news in your country and we will have similar comical results.

The Nation don't write about mickey mouse reality, they are more orientated to write for mickey mouse minded readers.

if you got education you should know how to read it.

Not at all. For once, they did a good job.

You have apparently no knowledge of how journalists are working and should be working.

If a Transport Minister says that all trains must arrive on time... it's not a news.

If a Tourism Minister says that tourism is good for the economy and should be boosted... it's not a news.

If a Tourism Minister says that Thailand should promote its fine cuisine in order to boost tourism... it's not really a news.

Now if a Tourism Minister says that Thailand should promote its phallus shapped amulets in order to boost tourism... it is a news.

You don't like it, you think it's ridiculous, degrading for Thailand's image, it makes you feel ashamed (?), fair enough. But it is a news.

From a technical point of view, this quote from the 3 hours boring (your word) meeting was the only one to pick up.

I guess it's time to go back to your Mickey Mouse books. To revise. :o

The Nation journalists, have no clue about journalistic work, make a fine piece of neo-naive dadaism out of it. let 12 years old preadolescent pupils run the news in your country and we will have similar comical results.

The Nation don't write about mickey mouse reality, they are more orientated to write for mickey mouse minded readers.

if you got education you should know how to read it.

Not at all. For once, they did a good job.

You have apparently no knowledge of how journalists are working and should be working.

You don't like it, you think it's ridiculous, degrading for Thailand's image, it makes you feel ashamed (?), fair enough. But it is a news.

I guess it's time to go back to your Mickey Mouse books. To revise. :)

Not at all. they did a dumb job.

You have apparently no knowledge of how journalists should be working and are working.

is not the news, it's The Nation. it's kinda funny media, got only topped by the readers, just look at the comments here, 12 years old preadolescent pupils.

just look how many words they are typing, what for arguments they have, how elaborate their thought are. speech bubble duck quack, quack, quack.

why should i be ashamed, of what? i am only bored and annoyed by the micky mouse minded.

why should it be degrading for Thailand's image? in the eyes of who. pittsburgh baptists , irish dock labourer, german suburban thrash - they can not tell taiwan from thailand.

mickey mouse minded the nation reader, who cares.

I guess it's time to go back to your Mickey Mouse books. To revise. :imagine mickey mouse smiley here:

i doubt it's aimed to western tourists in the first line, but more directed to asian visitors.

btw. i have two of such phallus amulets. got them a couple of years ago in a wat. a monkey riding on a dick and a lizard. small items, 3-4 cm. made of brass. if i have time i will make a picture. but i am not good at macro.

he's taking hard criticism...

Charms need explaining, says minister

Culture Minister Worawat Ua-apinyakul has denied recommending that good luck charms including phallus charms be made into cultural products for sale. On the defensive after critics claimed he was undermining culture rather than promoting it, Worawat said he suggested only that the folktales surrounding good luck charms be better publicised to add value to the products. Reports that the minister wanted charms and phallus amulets made for tourists have drawn harsh criticism. Academic Srisak Wallipodom said the idea of marketing the charms and selling them as souvenirs was a joke and Worawat had humiliated himself for floating it. The minister had shown that he has no understanding of culture. If the idea came to fruition, it would lead to a crisis of culture, Mr Srisak said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/021008_News/02Oct2008_news04.php

Back pedal, deny, deny,

I didn't say what they say I said!

deny, deny.

What a cock_up... LOL

Yes don't sell the pecker amulets,

but talk up the STORY to go with the pecker amulets,

that you aren't making to sell...

HUH! Deny, deny!

Such a cultured, Culture Minister.

Yogurt seems to have more kulture...

...... it speaks to a complete lack of PR skills.

When the culture ministry promotes culture, penis amulets shouldn't even be part of the discussion.

Academic Srisak Wallipodom said the idea of marketing the charms and selling them as souvenirs was a joke and Worawat had humiliated himself for floating it. The minister had shown that he has no understanding of culture.

I always knew that one day I would influence academia in Thailand :o

I feel sorry for those Thais that have to put up with this idiocy.

It's surprising more Thais aren't all hunched over with necks and backs ruined caused by embarassed cringing. I'm glad the prof. spoke out. A hearty wai to you Prof. Wallipodom.

This may well be said for some of the posts on the topic from (western people??) who thought a few of us were too outspoken on the person who came up with the idea. Deny, backpeddle, or slink away and hide seems to be quite common.

Rather sad, for the sake of political games a good idea is shot down (of course - nothing that this government does can possibly be a good idea, and even if it is one - it must be bad because it comes from this government), shallow and uncultured minds applaud the politically motivated critics because the only thing they know and understand about Phalad Khik is that it is penis shaped.

And Thailand shoots itself in its own foot yet again, much to the joy of some here whose motivations of being here i dare not speculate about.

No idea what Phalad Khik are, and many other here mentioned amulets, that there is a very high folk art value there, one of the very few here where there is a rather unique Thai character to see and explore, and to promote in many ways. No idea that the tales behind these amulets are fascinating folklore full of magic entities and spirits, heroes and villains just ready to be made into movies.

Many ancient Indian temples can promote its erotic tantric carvings far more explicit than Phalad Khik, replicas are sold in Cottage Industries and private shops. But of course, Thailand has to stay this strange place which is best known for its food, beaches and prostitutes where social misfits from the west can get a nubile wife, and anything else stays a big mystery and is of no interest.

That there are some fascinating cultural aspects to be found here, and promoted, and that those could maybe attract tourism and a slightly more substantial interest in Thailand and its culture is beyond some people's horizon.

Most posts in thread here are a perfect example of the sad state of affairs here regarding western interest in Thailand.

Edited by Howsitgoin

This may well be said for some of the posts on the topic from (western people??) who thought a few of us were too outspoken on the person who came up with the idea. Deny, backpeddle, or slink away and hide seems to be quite common.

That's ok... I think we just heard the Forum good-bye speech... :o

Rather sad

shallow and uncultured minds

some here whose motivations of being here i dare not speculate about

social misfits from the west

Thailand and its culture is beyond some people's horizon.

Most posts in thread here are a perfect example of the sad state of affairs here regarding western interest in Thailand.

The concept of a Ministry Of Culture is almost a joke,

It IS a Band from UK if I remember correctly.

What were they saying last week about not being able to get

qualified cabinet members because of all the factions wanting representation...

This is why permanent ministry staff HATE new incoming political appointee ministers...

They usually come with an IDEA to MAKE A MARK.

Usually a black mark... Yes. Minister!

I imagine the Bush Under Secretary for The Interior : Parks division, saying:

'To attract more quality tourists we will now sell wooden carved Bear Penises

with the Smokey The Bear fire prevention story attached,

at all parks department tourist locations

to encourage families to visit our national parks system.'

meanwhile, the story starts getting picked up for broadcast around the world...

Thailand plugs 'black magic amulets'

Thailand's newly appointed Culture Minister Worawat Ua-apinyakul has announced plans to promote the sale of black magic amulets, including phallus and buffalo-shaped ones, as souvenirs for tourists, media reports say.

"We can turn local amulets with phallus symbols and buffalo statuettes into key chains and sell them to tourists," said Worawat, unveiling his bold plans for the culture ministry under his leadership.

Worawat was named Minister of Culture last week.

Although the dominant religion in Thailand is Buddhism, there is a strong undercurrent of Brahmanism and black magic in local customs, such as the use of amulets that are believed to protect the wearer from harm or endow them with special powers.

Two of the most popular such amulets are the phallus-shaped Palad Khik - a prophylactic against danger and the buffalo-shaped Kwai Tanoo - a strength enhancer.

"They are cultural products," insisted Worawat, as reported by the Daily XPress newspaper.

- National Nine News (Australia) / 2008-10-02

Why not promote this side of the culture.

Because it's not as attractive as they think. Why not promote Thailand as a country where you use toilet paper to wipe your mouth? It is true, it is cultural, it makes lots of sense, but it's a terrible tourism promotion pitch.

well said that man!!!

Rather sad, for the sake of political games a good idea is shot down (of course - nothing that this government does can possibly be a good idea, and even if it is one - it must be bad because it comes from this government), shallow and uncultured minds applaud the politically motivated critics because the only thing they know and understand about Phalad Khik is that it is penis shaped.

And Thailand shoots itself in its own foot yet again, much to the joy of some here whose motivations of being here i dare not speculate about.

No idea what Phalad Khik are, and many other here mentioned amulets, that there is a very high folk art value there, one of the very few here where there is a rather unique Thai character to see and explore, and to promote in many ways. No idea that the tales behind these amulets are fascinating folklore full of magic entities and spirits, heroes and villains just ready to be made into movies.

Many ancient Indian temples can promote its erotic tantric carvings far more explicit than Phalad Khik, replicas are sold in Cottage Industries and private shops. But of course, Thailand has to stay this strange place which is best known for its food, beaches and prostitutes where social misfits from the west can get a nubile wife, and anything else stays a big mystery and is of no interest.

That there are some fascinating cultural aspects to be found here, and promoted, and that those could maybe attract tourism and a slightly more substantial interest in Thailand and its culture is beyond some people's horizon.

Not at all.

If they DO have a good idea I will applaud it.

I WISH and HOPE they get some GOOD ideas.

I am FAR from the only one thinking this is idiotic by the way.

But phalus shaped trinkets are NOT going to bring western tourists,

no matter WHAT back story is attached to it.

95% of tourists are either for

wandering around wide eyed at the unusual sights and smells and people,

A good percentage for first hand eroticism as you noted above,

But with most with someone they brought with them,

not esotheric etherial erotisim.

Another batch hoping to get lucky because it's vacation.

Another batch to dance like maniacs all night long.

Another 'quality tourist 'is into family touring of great cultural icons,

and don't want the kids to see phali on display.

A few dating couples might take some trinket back

for a laugh with the friends and then hide it aways

from mum and pops when they visit.

And lets not forget the attitude of most western mothers to

exposing their preteen children to Black Magic, in ANY form.

Negatory maam, step away from that souvineer counter, quickstep.

Excuse me son, leave the Phi Krasue alone

and come back to the reclining Budha statue.

Sorry it is just a dumb idea.

I WISH they would get some good ones and attract tourism back again.

I live in a tourist resort and see the effects, and I see what tourists do and buy.

Edited by animatic

Not at all.

If they DO have a good idea I will applaud it.

I WISH and HOPE they get some GOOD ideas.

I am FAR from the only one thinking this is idiotic by the way.

But phalus shaped trinkets are NOT going to bring western tourists,

no matter WHAT back story is attached to it.

I would even not be so sure that this might be aimed at western tourists in the first place. Chinese, Taiwanese, Malaysian and especially Indian tourists are arriving in ever increasing numbers. And don't be mistaken - they have money to spend, and do spend it.

Their traditions and cultures are somewhat closed to Thai culture, they use amulets in their own religions, and therefore Thai amulets can easily incorporated into their religions.

In Taiwan, Singapore, Hongkong and Malaysia are already many very affluent collectors of Thai amulets.

that campaign doesn't have the dirty, uncivilised westener in mind, but other asian tourists.

chinese, korean, japanese, indian and so on. those tourists you don't see in your beer bars but there are coming in big numbers to thailand. check the TAT statistics.

and i guess the kids of those tourists doesn't need your protection to see some phallic symbol on display.

eap5214pb6.jpg2335780735_278b1d8f36.jpg

check this link, big fat phalli and they promote tourism!:

wood penis carving festival in samcheok, south korea: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/291098.stm

a park in the same town: http://anicedayinseoul.blogspot.com/2007/1...penis-park.html

Tagata Shrine Honen Festival, penis shrine festival http://japanvisitor.blogspot.com/2007/03/t...en-masturi.html

Kanamara Matsuri (Festival of the Steel Phallus): http://babibubebo.com/2008/04/07/kanamara-...-steel-phallus/

okay, the thai amulets are a different story and that not only in their size (small 3-5cm). what they have in common is the phallic shape and natural manners or different cultural manners than in the west.

2000 years christian inhibition still have you under control however open minded you may think of yourself.

A 7-foot lingam on a keychain might be a bit awkward.

Be grateful it is on a chain, and not loose......................

On a serious note.

I have deleted several off topic posts.

Let's keep our eyes on the subject and forget the anal fixations :o

I really would like to know what this guy is smoking.For sure must be strong stuff.

After spending 15 years in this wonderfull country i can honestly say that i am convinced of the missing link!

I agree. A keychain is pretty useless if there's a missing link.

If the buffalo symbol has magic to give strength, I wonder if there's a connection for strength to extract money while invoking a "sick buffalo" spell?

Big_amu_584_front.jpg282.jpg

a phallus-shaped Palad Khik and Culture Minister Worawat Ua-apinyakul

Claude Lévi-Strauss: The Raw and the Cooked

the saturday remix: structurale deux (rewind version)

I.

Big_amu_584_front.jpg02zv4.jpg

II.

02zv4.jpg282fy1.jpg

The man in the first photo is Culture Minister Worawat Ua-apinyakul who started this whole stupid idea... who is the person in your photos? What is her title? and What is her relevance to this thread?

Edited by sriracha john

Big_amu_584_front.jpg282.jpg

a phallus-shaped Palad Khik and Culture Minister Worawat Ua-apinyakul

Claude Lévi-Strauss: The Raw and the Cooked

the saturday remix: structurale deux (rewind version)

I.

Big_amu_584_front.jpg02zv4.jpg

II.

02zv4.jpg282fy1.jpg

The man in the first photo is Culture Minister Worawat Ua-apinyakul who started this whole stupid idea... who is the person in your photos? What is her title? and What is her relevance to this thread?

i got inspired, inspired by the news and inspired by your sensible selected illustration material.

that photo shows a woman displaying the typical thai amulets and demonstrate how such a sale would look like. it gives the beholder also a better grasp of the real size of such amulets. if you read and look through the thread, some members had developed an a little bit to big phantasy.

my remix an alternative way to illustrate the story.

(btw, i saw in the somchai thread a photo of an alien that raised no question of relevance.)

Hawking Thailand

stall of new ideas - amulets

Local amulets in unusual shapes,

"They are cultural products,"

amulets could inspire big-budget movies too

romantic legend

destination for couples

The Nation