Building Collapse On Silom Soi 4

TIPSYBOB

At about 4 PM today on Silom Soi 4 the former Roxy Club, Icon for some and Rome club for the nostagics, has collapse. The 4 stories, front part, went down on the street. No casualties, thank God.

Luckily it was in the afternoon otherwise it would have been a lot worse had it happen in the evening.

The electric supply has been cut off on that side of the Soi from Balcony to Noriega.

The sustaining wall between Roxy and Balcony has been severly dammaged.

Both venues are out of bound until the structural engineers have evaluated the security factors.

Former Roxy was undergoing renovations at the time.

After the gym I went and had a look! It's looks pretty bad as the front upper balcony on the 2nd floor collapsed down to the terrace below. Of course nothing is blocked off and I saw nobody checking anything.

Pretty sad ending to one of my old stomping grounds, The Rome Club. As a junior flight attendant I enjoyed many an evening there as it was the place to be in Bangkok! They always said that after the Rome club closed down, (due to their own greediness and stupidity), that the placed was cursed. It stayed empty for years and then the ICON opened and closed one year later then of course we had the Roxy which gave it a try but was doomed because of its owner.

Oh well - R.I.P.

At about 4 PM today on Silom Soi 4 the former Roxy Club, Icon for some and Rome club for the nostagics, has collapse. The 4 stories, front part, went down on the street. No casualties, thank God.

Luckily it was in the afternoon otherwise it would have been a lot worse had it happen in the evening.

The electric supply has been cut off on that side of the Soi from Balcony to Noriega.

Both venues are out of bound until the structural engineers have evaluated the security factors.

is this anywhere near convent rd?

is this anywhere near convent rd?

Soi 4 is the opposite side of Silom, almost directly opposite Convent.

G

Just received this email sent to The Balcony's mailing list:

"Dear Balcony Member,

Some of you may have heard that the front of the building next door to us that used to be Roxy (and before that Icon and before that Rome Club) collapsed yesterday, 30 September.

The building was being worked on by construction workers employed by the new owners and at about 4.15pm the facade of the ground, first and second floors gave way and collapsed into the Soi. Fortunately nobody was injured but the electricity lines were cut and there was some minor damage to the end of The Balcony's terrace. This caused us to close last night.

The electricity supply has now been restored and the damage inspected by the local authorities. Since there was no structural damage to The Balcony we have now made temporary repairs and are open again as usual. Full repairs will take a little longer but plans are in hand to have this work completed as soon as possible. We look forward to seeing you again at The Balcony very soon.

Since we have been preoccupied today with getting ourselves ready for opening our usual monthly newsletter will be slightly delayed but should be with you soon.

Best Regards

From the Management & Staff

The Balcony

86-88 Silom Soi 4

Bangkok 10500

www.balconypub.com "

Good to hear that there was no serious damage and they are open again and no one hurt.

• 4 weeks later...
Silom soi 4 is a gay lot? Really?

Sorry, I always think Soi 2 (DJ) and Soi2/1 (G.O.D) is the Gay venues

To Tumbo and orchis,

it is impossible to walk along soi 4 and not realise it is a gay (although not exclusively) soi. I cannot imagine how you have both managed to do it . Amazing Thailand indeed !!!

• 11 months later...

sad really..

I remember spending a winter of 2004 at Roxys. sneaky Morgan was manager, his staff was floating around sporting white feathers all over their costumes, like some strange little budha angels. Very relaxing to lay down on those matrasses.

There was another club there before Roxy, name escapes me. And Roxy never took off.. and the place after Roxy was gone.. bad spot it seems, too far down from the mandatory Telephone and Balcony, the whole 2 meters.

Love the comments here how Soi 4 isn't part of the real gay community.. and surprised reactions to that statement.

• 2 weeks later...
I remember spending a winter of 2004 at Roxys. sneaky Morgan was manager...

Sneaky? I'm definitely not "hep" on the current gay vernacular. Does sneaky have some special meaning? :)