Make Sure Your Passport Has 4 Months Left

it's bit stupid, even with 31 days remaining in the passeport, some could logically enter thailand on the visa exemption(30days).

i think they require 6 months only when a visa is emitted, visa is valid three month and your stay is valid also three month, thus the 6 months required.

By the rules, one must have 6 months validity remaining on their passport to enter Thailand.

It is also the "rule of thumb" that all travel professionals use and so should travelers when traveling internationally.

Why run the risk?

Regards,

Steve

it's bit stupid, even with 31 days remaining in the passeport, some could logically enter thailand on the visa exemption(30days).

i think they require 6 months only when a visa is emitted, visa is valid three month and your stay is valid also three month, thus the 6 months required.

It actually not case my Mrs was nearly not allowed on flight to KL on an Asean pasport (ie 30 days visa waiver) because they said she had less than 6 months on her Thai passport, till I pointed out she actually had 7 months left and they couldnt count.

Also had a Thai collegue who managed to get on flight to Indonesia (30 day visa waiver) with less than 6 months on his passport and was nearly turned back on arriving in Indonesia, after some talking to the Indonesian immigration we managed to get him in.

Although these examples are not related to getting into Thailand directly, the 6 month rule on a passport is pretty much standard for most countries including Thailand, but you could be denied entry.

If you stick with the rule of always maintaining 6 months on your passport you cant go wrong

I think there may be a lot of people that are not aware of the 6 month rule.

When I first read a topic on this I realized that when I was working in the states I made a trip here with less than 6 monts left on my passport. Sure glad nobody noticed that trip or I would probably not of been able to do it becasue of time restraints.

I was thinking that it would be a good idea to start thinking about renewing your passport as soon as you have less than a year. But how soon will the goverment issue a new passport. So did a check on US passport rules and found the following in the FAQ section.

"If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met."

Good advise there.

I always take the 6 months into account, as above not only Thailand, but many more countries require this, it would also be a reason for airlines to refuse you boarding. It is not related to entering on a visa, it also applies to visa excempt for instance, even though I know some people who have gotten away with less then 6 months into Thailand, but I wouldn't run the risk.

Hi all any thoughts on this. I have an Indonesian passport and have only 8 months left on it. Wanting to get an ED Visa as I want to study Thai, though the school seems to think I need to renew my passport before I get the ED Visa. My problem is that technically I am on a 30 tourist visa and would image that my embassy will tell me to go back to Indo to renew which is not an option. Any thoughts?

What would happen if it was stolen?

Thanks

K

Hi all any thoughts on this. I have an Indonesian passport and have only 8 months left on it. Wanting to get an ED Visa as I want to study Thai, though the school seems to think I need to renew my passport before I get the ED Visa. My problem is that technically I am on a 30 tourist visa and would image that my embassy will tell me to go back to Indo to renew which is not an option. Any thoughts?

What would happen if it was stolen?

Thanks

K

probably the same thing, ie. the embasssy telling you to get a new one in Indonesia, of course in the "stolen" option, they need to issue you a laissez passez or something similar, you probably have to visit immigration as well, so it would be much easier if you would renew your passport then taking the stolen option.

Embassies of countries that do issue new passports, usually would aslo be able to renew it for you, hence the reasoning behind the above. Not sure though.

I don't know what kind of visa the school is setting up for you it may be immigration that want a full year on your passport to issue a visa.

The way read I your post it that you only think that your embassy/consulate will tell you to go back for the passport. A visit or a phone call to them should settle that issue. Just tell them why you need to renew your passport.

If it was really stolen/lost they would give you new passport. If it takes time to get the new passport they would give you some form of temporary traval document.

Many countries now have it set up that the embassy/conulate does not produce the passport it has to done in the home country. You fill out the paperwork pay the money and you wait for the new passport to arrive.

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks Urbonjoe and sjack.

Yeah the school is worried that immiagration will need 12 months on the passport.The issue with calling the indo emassy is that the legality of me being here in BKK.

I am a tourist at the moment .

Do you think I should advise them that I am here and wanting to study, though immigration needs me to have a passport with at least 12 months validity to be granted an ED Visa?

K

I don't know what kind of visa the school is setting up for you it may be immigration that want a full year on your passport to issue a visa.

The way read I your post it that you only think that your embassy/consulate will tell you to go back for the passport. A visit or a phone call to them should settle that issue. Just tell them why you need to renew your passport.

If it was really stolen/lost they would give you new passport. If it takes time to get the new passport they would give you some form of temporary traval document.

Many countries now have it set up that the embassy/conulate does not produce the passport it has to done in the home country. You fill out the paperwork pay the money and you wait for the new passport to arrive.

Your embassy shouldn't care why you are here and make any problem. You might even be able to get the school to give you a letter stating that you have enrolled in classes and you need a new passport to get a visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

Good thinking 99.

Cheers

K

Your embassy shouldn't care why you are here and make any problem. You might even be able to get the school to give you a letter stating that you have enrolled in classes and you need a new passport to get a visa.

You do not need 12 months on the passport. Immigration will issue the visa with 8 months, but your permission to stay will only be 8 months. Once you have a new passport they will then grant you the other 4 months (for free).

But that doesn't change the fact that you will need a new passport in the end.

If you have a valid visa, the validity of your passport to (re-)enter Thailand is not an issue

I came back from as trip in January with only 30 something days left in passport

Mario is correct the VISA should never be longer than the actual passport

Immigration made this mistake once with me/my passport and it was a small issue at the airport when re-entering

Airport immigration found the mistake made by the other immigration and where 'overexcited'

For me personally it was not a problem because; 'it was not my mistake... '

It just cost me an hour extra for re-stamping passport and such...

I had the expiry dates matched at immigration at zero costs