Phukets Sex Industry And General Tourism

Master Chief

For all you critics to the lavish sex industry in Phuket, may it be in Kata, Karon, Surin, Kamala, Rawai, Patong, Chalong, Thalang, Bang Tao and Phuket town.

Do you think that the tourism here at its current proportions would survive without a sex industry?

Are there other options that would draw such hordes of tourists?

If to regulate the sex industry how would it be done, any suggestions?

When reading posts at this forum, there are many members bashing the sex industry and denying its purpose and gain. What made Phuket an attraction from the start was just the booming sex industry.

Looking around the island, one wonder what could possibly attract tourists?

Dive industry is good, at low costs for dive certification, but are the dive sights any good here in Phuket?

(Do not mention the dive sights at Similans, they are offsite in regards to Phuket very near surroundings)

Natural sights like, monkey rehabs, very seasonal waterfalls or canoe trips are they able to compete for the mass tourism?

Large shopping centers, gem shops, batik, wood carving ect, are they what they should be?

Golf is a good tourist catcher, new courses are opened and more on the way. This is a good attraction, but it does not apply to the tourism masses.

Beaches, here is a subject that is now and can really compete as major reason for tourism attraction, western tourists really love to relax and enjoy a calm and clean beach. But unfortunaly this is not a matter that is concerning the local and the ruling government’s agenda.

Beaches are neglected by all means, they are right down dirty and smelly sand strips, totally uncontrolled by authorities and managed only by money greedy locals.

It is time that Thailand started a nationwide beach management system to preserve, what I think is and will be the main income source for future Thailand tourism.

Do you readers have any suggestion to a beach management system that Thailand could handle?

I have surely left out many factors in here, write in if you feel that your part is missing.

Think about it and give your perspective. :o

I dont think you will ever get rid of the sex industry in Thailand but I think it needs to be controlled so its not so in your face. Too many places are turning into Pattaya. Walking through Patong gets a bit much after a while. As for the beaches on Phuket I think they need to employ full time lifeguards there due to the rip tides. Every year you get tourists drowning around the island as either there are no warning flags or they are just ignored. A tip I was given by an Aussie lifeguard was if you are swimming somewhere you dont know take a deflated beach ball tucked into your trunks. If you get into a rip simply blow up the ball, hang on and ride out the rip back to shore. Affordale taxis would also go a long way but nobody seems to care whether the poor tourist gets ripped off by greedy tuk tuk drivers. Its the same on Samui, they want ridiculous money to go a short way. They dont realise that a lot of people will not return. :o

I dont think you will ever get rid of the sex industry in Thailand but I think it needs to be controlled so its not so in your face. Too many places are turning into Pattaya. Walking through Patong gets a bit much after a while. As for the beaches on Phuket I think they need to employ full time lifeguards there due to the rip tides. Every year you get tourists drowning around the island as either there are no warning flags or they are just ignored. A tip I was given by an Aussie lifeguard was if you are swimming somewhere you dont know take a deflated beach ball tucked into your trunks. If you get into a rip simply blow up the ball, hang on and ride out the rip back to shore. Affordale taxis would also go a long way but nobody seems to care whether the poor tourist gets ripped off by greedy tuk tuk drivers. Its the same on Samui, they want ridiculous money to go a short way. They dont realise that a lot of people will not return. :o

You will never get rid of the sex industry; I don't believe that a majority of tourists come here for sex; they can, if that's what they want get it anywhere in the world; no they come for sun, beaches and good food. And of course the still low prices .

Tuk Tuks are m**fia controlled so will grow and grow; restrict their standing areas and ban them from beach front in Patong;

which they will ignore. Police cannot cope with them so leave them alone; no answers there!

Some beaches (Kata for one )are incredibly clean and mainly safe, and I'm actually still amazed how litter free Phuket is ; apart from some dump areas.Compare the cross roads at central to the verges of the A3 in England, no contest.

Edited by Wellington

I think many tourists (couples and families) are now attracted to Phuket simply because Patong is seen as a 'trashy' destination, where it's possible to drink cheap beer, get very drunk, buy plastic souveigners that were probably made in china, gawk at the ladyboys etc etc etc. In Patong all I see are working class tourists from Oz who have come on the cheap Jetstar flights, and British yobs. But I doubt if they are all sex tourists. Rather, they come for the atmosphere which appeals to them.

(That's a very snobbish comment from me, but stroll down Bangla road in the evening and you'll agree with me...)

Simon

The sex industry is a part of Phuket's 'charms'. Bangla is a tourist attraction, and you see plenty of couples, even families' rubber necking at the bar girls & katoeys. I remember Singapore had Boogie Street, but the city fathers tore down that part of China Town to clean up the act. Result .. less tourist actractions.

Don't know why some folks say the sex industry is 'in your face'. The fact is that it's restricted to a small area, and you have to go there to see it.

Their are bigger problems with taxi fares (Tuk Tuk & m/bike), rediculous asking prices at the markets, time share touts, and con men/lady at every turn, from the time of inbound airport taxi ride, and throughout the tourists stay on Phuket Island.

nice one about the beach ball , will have to bear that in mind.but ride out the rip back to shore?, does it not just take you out, excuse my ignorance. just wondering how far they normally go out from shore. As for having kids with you as well guess the answer is dont go in until proven. thanks for info..

nice one about the beach ball , will have to bear that in mind.but ride out the rip back to shore?, does it not just take you out, excuse my ignorance. just wondering how far they normally go out from shore. As for having kids with you as well guess the answer is dont go in until proven. thanks for info..

Yes riptides flow away from the shore.Swim parallel to the shoreline to escape the rip.

am not really qualified to give an opinion re answers for phuket tourism.I did visit the island in march 2007,and really liked it.Stayed behind carrefour in a guesthouse,fantastic new place a/c everything for 700baht a night.thought patong very clean,beach too.yes hawkers,tuk tuk etc always seemed to be at you,shop owners too,oh yes and not forgetting the indian tailor shops,really got fed up with them.Got a bike and rode around part of the island,loved karon and kata,went to the look out down rawai way,liked it all.

Phuket has much to offer and bang la road is part of it,maybe just to look and see,some to partake.thought bang la expensive,bar scene and all(i'd just spent 7 months in pattaya,and pattaya is so cheap).but when i read everything from phuket residents on this forum,and i'd not visited before i might be put off coming to live there.Recent posts about patong hospital,police,taxi, tuk tuk mafia,violent attacks on bike riders etc,and immigration office etc.re renewal of vis's.all this did not paint a pretty picture in my mind.Compared to Samui, phuket i thought was very clean,and so good roads.Here you take your life into your own hands riding a bike,so many pot holes,and the beaches here are dirty,rubbish all over the island.............but i do like the island life here,it feels like a real island(90mins on ferry from donsak,)reminds me of the whitsunday islands back in australia.ok have rambled enough.

I think many tourists (couples and families) are now attracted to Phuket simply because Patong is seen as a 'trashy' destination, where it's possible to drink cheap beer, get very drunk, buy plastic souveigners that were probably made in china, gawk at the ladyboys etc etc etc. In Patong all I see are working class tourists from Oz who have come on the cheap Jetstar flights, and British yobs. But I doubt if they are all sex tourists. Rather, they come for the atmosphere which appeals to them.

(That's a very snobbish comment from me, but stroll down Bangla road in the evening and you'll agree with me...)

Simon

ha ha..

Its amazing to think that the standard of clientèle could go down from sex tourists.. but it actually seem to have managed it :o !!

Lots to do in Phuket besides the sex trade.

YOu mentioned most of them: beaches, golf, diving, etc.

I like to jog, hiking in the jungle, rock climb (none of phuket but nearby prangna has some and krabi has world class climbing and phi phi is ok)

Some friends of mine have gone deep sea fishing. There's good mtn biking tracks around as well as 4-wheeler tracks (not happy about the jet ski industry but it is there)

A bunch of paragliders meet up at the windmill near Nai Harn a few times a week. as well as remote control airplanes, and did i mention the surfboard sailing or whatever they call it?

I met some people who sail yachts for their lifestyle, phuket is one of their favorite destinations.

There's good music on this island. Try "Music Matter" in Phuket town on Wed. nights for jazz.

or jam at many of the open mike places around the island if you are a musician or wannabee.

My kid loves the aquarium as well as the monkey center you mentioned and the nearby waterfall

We go up to Ko Sok sometimes and hike the jungle up there too.

What is it you are looking for? and where do you generally go to find it?

(i know the mountains here are not the Himalayas but the weather is a lot better and so is the infrastructure)

I don't think there's anything like the Phuket Vegetarian Festival going on right now. Or the Songkran festival in April.

Let's see what is there to do where i come from (Pennsylvania USA); hunting, fishing, drinking, talk about sex, visit the coal mines, watching sports on TV. That's about it.

Lots more to do here.

There is a Sex Industry here? Industry?

There is Sex Trade here, but no form, whatsoever, of actual industry. It has slowly become part of the norm here and shouldn't be confused with actual Industry. Industry, as we Americans are showing the world, is created to fail. Mismanagement, embezzlement, corporate loop holes, or straight up ripping off your employees for literally millions of dollars. That is what I was raised to believe INDUSTRY meant. (i.e. the guys that created HALO...)

Although it may exist, I don't think we as temporary guests should try to change anything. Maybe we should just stop whining about the things 'they' do, and start going to the places that make this land truly beautiful. Maybe it's too much HALO, but if you bring this up, you are just the first hen that has cackled.

I came here for good food, rough beaches, and lawless-ness. You want change; I suggest you write to Obama. Otherwise, I think you should get out more.

Thanks for letting me share!

todd

For all you critics to the lavish sex industry in Phuket, may it be in Kata, Karon, Surin, Kamala, Rawai, Patong, Chalong, Thalang, Bang Tao and Phuket town.

counts me out................I'm not a critic nor do I believe it is lavish. Never heard Bangla referred to as such.......

The OP was obviously raised in a place where jobs, education, and health care were free and easy to attain.

Dude, This is not a place like that. Ever been so hungry you would do just about anything for a bite to eat?

I respect the trade. I don't condone it, nor do I support it, but I respect it. Therefore, I choose to leave it alone, and wish others would as well.

You go to the zoo, you feed the gorillas, hang out at their cage, but take them home, and they will wreck your house, sh!t on the sofa, and eventually move you out, and take over. (Like my poor unfortunate German Neighbor.)

As far as tourism, something is attracting tourists. I'll bet sex is like 20-30% of the attraction.

The Monkey Show! That's what drags me here. Monkeys. Plain and Simple.

Amanda! Quit pouting and Please comment!!!

todd

Edited by flamingtodd

Quote Master Chief:

“Do you think that the tourism here at its current proportions would survive without a sex industry?”

No.

‘The comfortable shoe squad’ and anybody who has a cut/interest in the tourist industry, will quite rightly, opine the limited ‘qualities’ the island has to offer, whilst at the same time ignore certain realities of the place. It’s normal – it’s called business. A lot of Thais are complicit in the porking industry and I doubt if any of the movers and shakers are interested in losing their share of a rather large pie. Die-hard mongers who come without the extra cost and hassle of partners and families are unlikely to be put off by extra fuel and sundry expenses.

So will the number drop?

Monger numbers and lads on the lash – fractionally, if at all.

Families – Yep, for sure. Credit crunch problems and the increasing bad press of murders, etc.

“Are there other options that would draw such hordes of tourists?”

Probably too late. The rot is too far into the wood. Sticking plasters will only be sticking plasters.

“If to regulate the sex industry how would it be done, any suggestions?”

See my first answer above.

I used to work in Singapore about 15 years ago and spent alot of time out on bars and clubs there. Many of my friends left the island for Phuket for their RR. I tryed Phuket and got stuck here, I do enjoy the bar and club life here, would be sad if changed more than it already has.

Many things have changed and there is a great demand for further improvements and changes, but what was the original reason to settle here, to change what we then called Paradise, to a future political correct and infrastructured perfectionism? What is our final goal?

Does a tourist paradise need to be perfect, or should it be that laidback living for today attitude? Does that not attract more?

There are obviously families and couples that come here for the weather, beaches etc etc but there is a huge amount of really ugly men that are here on their own or in small groups who are obviously here for the pretty girls they wouldn't have a hope in hel_l of pulling at home.

I am not claiming to be an adonis in any way and live here with my farang wife, even she knows the score, she's a scouser and even she couldn't believe the disrespect men showed her in bars, leering and trying to touch her up, she was so amazed that it happened when I was there she didn't like to tell me at first, now she tells them f off or the 6ft 3in gorilla husband will kick their arse after she has finished thumping them. Seems to work.

Anyone that claims otherwise lives in cuckoo land. Thai Gov claim they want 'up market' clients, get rid of the sad gits and you don't need up market just joe average.

Amazed as the normal complaint I hear from the farang women arriving (the sudden influx of ozzie shielas out on a hen night like lash) is how ignored they are.. To the point of making them aggressive and rude, lashing back..

The families come once, wander round gawking, buy a 100 baht sarong after staying in a hotel that pays min wage to its staff and sends it profit to one rich Thai family.. Then go somewhere else next year.. The rig pigs, rotation workers, and single male holiday makers often ring bells, drop 20k a night and come back and repeat next month, staying in a guesthouse and eating local fare.. Which one do ya reckon pumps more into the locals (in all ways)..

The OP was obviously raised in a place where jobs, education, and health care were free and easy to attain.

Dude, This is not a place like that. Ever been so hungry you would do just about anything for a bite to eat?

I respect the trade. I don't condone it, nor do I support it, but I respect it. Therefore, I choose to leave it alone, and wish others would as well.

You go to the zoo, you feed the gorillas, hang out at their cage, but take them home, and they will wreck your house, sh!t on the sofa, and eventually move you out, and take over.

(Like my poor unfortunate German Neighbor.)

Was your German neighbour shat on by a monkey or a Thai girl?

Apart from hotel and beach activities, there's not enough to keep active kids and teenagers busy on Phuket.

There is a list of attractions of course but most are well outside the resort areas requiring expensive tuktuks or a rental car to get to them (Go-Karting, cable skiing, the awful zoo, Dino Park to name a few) and most of these will only keep someone busy for half an hour or so (five minutes for the aquarium).

I don't want Phuket to become Disney but a well-planned theme or water park, even if it is a little off the island, would be a big tourist draw. There again, having writtten that, the Siam Park safety record springs to mind!

There are obviously families and couples that come here for the weather, beaches etc etc but there is a huge amount of really ugly men that are here on their own or in small groups who are obviously here for the pretty girls they wouldn't have a hope in hel_l of pulling at home.

I am not claiming to be an adonis in any way and live here with my farang wife, even she knows the score, she's a scouser and even she couldn't believe the disrespect men showed her in bars, leering and trying to touch her up, she was so amazed that it happened when I was there she didn't like to tell me at first, now she tells them f off or the 6ft 3in gorilla husband will kick their arse after she has finished thumping them. Seems to work.

Anyone that claims otherwise lives in cuckoo land. Thai Gov claim they want 'up market' clients, get rid of the sad gits and you don't need up market just joe average.

Get rid of the sad gits? Too right.

How about we start with violent foreign couples looking for fights in bars.

:o

My heart agrees with the OP, but the pragmatist in me knows it would be a tough slog without a real change in "ownership". My view is that the sex trade is a monopolistic industry. Don't get fooled by all the different "owners" of the bars, brothels, and clubs. They own nothing except the lease. In order to make the rents, pay the tea money and of course make a profit, the tenants have to exploit an awful lot of people. Through the use of shell and holding companies a lot of middle layers are inserted between Mr. Big and the lowly bar operator, so that no one can find the real property owner. It's great for avoiding taxes and it's great for insulating the owners from being tied to such an establishment. If you have ever wondered how a navy officer could own prime beach front land in Pattaya, then maybe you'll wonder too about the ultimate owners of the sex trade properties in Phuket. Connect the dots and I think you'll understand why this discussion is moot.

Adding additional activities such as bike trails or hiking trails would require some respect for nature and would curtail certain developers' desires to encroach on protected lands. There are a lot of normal well adjusted Thais under the age of 25 that would be happy for work like that. Imagine if there was a bus system directed to tourists that transited the major centers of the island. The buses would let people get on and take a trip from Karon to Patong with no hassle and would most likely increase trade because of the ease of transit. Encouraging a less car dependent environment in Patong would do wonders for the place. Even installing some pedestrian crosswalks with traffic ligts would make the place better. It's doable, but local government has neither the vision nor the independence to do so. (BTW, it was done in Cancun Mexico despite taxi driver protests. The buses ended up bring the tourists out of their hotels more often so everyone prospered. Since most passengers usually took a taxi home, the upsurge in single trips offset the decrease from the loss of roundtrips.)

As I said, lots can be done, but I think someone like Tony Jaa first needs to do an Ong Bak on the ruling oligarchy.

I know one Chinese family that owns half of Patong and half of Bangla. I met another Chinese guy whose family own Tiger, Tiger hotel, Bangla boxing stadium and another half a dozen large businesses in Patong.

Basically speaking the Chinese control the whole economy. The banks, finance companies, all major industries, gold, gems and most of the gambling, brothels and major drug trafficking as well.

An Indian tailor shop owner summed it all up for me when talking about all the people working in a lot of the shops in Patong. "They are slaves to their Chinese masters" was his exact statement.

He said this when he confessed 99% of the people who claim to come from Nepal, Bangladesh etc, are actually Indians from Burma who will never say that as the Burmese are the traditional enemy of the Thais, especially in the south.

They work at the t-shirt or DVD shops but the whole lot is Chinese controlled as they are the only ones who can get the knock off gear and the only ones with the clout not to be busted by the cops for doing it. Those kids have English skills and have a set price to sell for to make their cut. That's why you can only bargain them down so much as their cut is very very low.

I have nothing against the Chinese but their almost pathological obssesion with money disturbs me when it leads to such rampant exploitation. All too often the traditional Chinese values of family, hard work and frugality lead to nepotism, exploitation and greed.

Much of what I know about the Chinese in Thailand has been told to me by Chinese people themselves. It's like trading and making money is so hard wired into them they can't help themselves. My business partner here in Australia is Chinese and from Phangnga. He was Thaksins greatest fan and saw him as a pin up for the Chinese business elite. Even now while admitting Thaksin was a rogue he still loves the fact he made so much money so quickly :o

Just so people don't throw the racist card at me concerning the Chinese, I can say I have run a number of businesses in Australia and employed many children of the wealthy Thai elite over the last 20 years. Some were full Chinese, some half and a minority were actually full Thai with both parents being Thai.

Most were students doing post graduate degrees and most were wonderful kids. Some however knew their parents were involved in corruption and knew they had been sent to study overseas so they didn't see it in their impressionable years.

The word racial comes along with the word "pre judge" meaning you have pre judged a person purely on his race. A statement like "All of the Indians in Phuket are crooks" is racist because you cannot have possibly met everyone of them.

However a statement like, "After ten years of travelling to Patong I have found a lot of the Indian street boys to be very rude and dishonest in selling their goods" is simply an opinion and an informed one at that as it is based on direct experience.

Labelling a person a racist is a form of pre judgement in itself as a person may simply be inarticulate in expressing what they really mean. :o

I do know many Thais both in Thailand and abroad feel disenfranchised and powerless to do anything about the many problems Thailand faces. There is a belief in Murphy's golden rule, whoever has the gold rules. I can't even imagine the frustration I would feel being a Thai living under such a bent system.

I can't even imagine the frustration I would feel being a Thai living under such a bent system.

An astute succinct observation. In one sentence you have explained why the protests in Thailand can be so full of rage. You have also explained the motive for actions that many foreigners see as irational (e.g. disrupting HKT). Congratulations on demonstrating Occam's razor. :o

No violence here jive talker but if you think it is ok to disrepect women and have you wife touched up by sad old drunks then more power to your elbow.

It is her defence against ignorant drunk falangs who are here for a shag. Sorry if it offends you but we are here to live a normal life in the sun not get pestered by sex saddo's.