Crackdown On Alcohol On Public Holidays

george

Go out for a couple, and then find oh it's and election?

Or it's a holliday? What blinkin hoilliday??? No one told ME there was a fekin' holiday.

Hey I'm on MY holliday. No work in the AM I want a BEER!

BTW, bro, you can ALWAYS get your beer at the nearest VILLA MARKET shop. They do not follow those meaningless "bans" - and you can get your Heineken, Black Label or whatever - at ANY time ANY day.

Have checked myself - many times since previous "alcohol ban" came to power. :o

Not here, not last election eve.

Samuian and I tried to get a beer when we met and couldn't

in stores or restaurants nor bars.

For sure this is once again one of those famous The Nation translations into english.If you take a look at the times that would be prohibited to sell alcohol,these are exactly the only periods that it is now allowed to sell.So probably the editor got lost in tranlation once again and it is just a confirmation of the previous ban.

Of course the measure doesn't solve the problem and is indeed only a small part of a raft of initiatives that are needed, of which education is the most important.

Not only doesn't it solve the problem it doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. Even a sub-peanut brain amoeba can see how to work it's way around this one (but obviously not yourself).

Of course there will be alcohol fuelled deaths where the booze was purchased earlier.But the measure will also save lives as well.It's obviously not nearly enough by itself but it sends a signal and it's a start.

So what signal does it send "Buy your booze early"?. That is going to make a sub-microscopic difference that only taking the statistics to fifth place decimals will detect.

When as in Thailand you have a catastrophic road death problem you do what you can.

Yes agreed but most sensible people would say do something designed to stop the drinking combined with driving like getting the police to stop being licensed highwaymen and start doing law enforcement. That costs nothing and has no impact on the lives of sensible law abiding people.

Frankly I doubt whether most Thais give a toss what a few intinerant farang boozehounds have to say on the subject, and to be honest neither do I.

I don't suppose you give a toss about what all the Thais employed in the tourist, entertainment and restaurant businesses have to say either.

younghusband you are an old woman (with great apologies to women of all ages but I'm dam_ned if I'm having him classified the same genetically as me).

:o animatic speaks the truth and nothing but the truth!

Tough, dry day and it was only local elections, and no thai far and wide to be seen and a foreign pub too, had to resort to water and soft drinks! :D

Every time there is a booze story the Chicken Little's start clucking that the sky is falling, tourism is doomed, the end is nigh etc. Like your favorite girlie bar can't sell beer for a day, what a catastrophe. In Chiang Mai, at least, you can buy booze at any small Thai shop on any holiday or ban. Or here is another idea: throw a few in the fridge or better still get an intravenous drip.

Many should really indulge in some introspection and consider the priorities in their lives, if they purely revolve around at what time the booze shop opens then seek help. All politicians everywhere get up on soap boxes and try to be seen to be doing something regardless of whether it actually is or not. Why would here be any different?

Tough, dry day and it was only local elections, and no thai far and wide to be seen and a foreign pub too, had to resort to water and soft drinks! :D

I don't even drink daily, but from time to time I want a few rounds.

A great stress reliever, but never so's I can't get on a bike and

SAFELY negociate a gaunlet of inebriated fools going home. And I have had to drive home more nights after midnight than

most people for 35 years+, for work related reasons.

Meeting up with Samuian, was one of those evenings in which 2 beers

would have made for livelier bantering, even though we got on just fine without.

I agree that the road problem is bad,

but this existing time frame rule really has had NO AFFECT.

Mis-translated above or not.

Chalerm in his ivory tower is stopping nothing.

The people on the street drink when they want, that's it.

Either they KNOW enforcement of EXISTING LAWS will get them

or they won't stop end of story.

3-4 day holidays and the only places selling are Chalerm's buddies

or those paying kick backs to the local polizia, makes you drink in BAD PLACES.

Cause only BAD places will serve booze. When I take a 1 week vacation

I don't want somebody telling me I can't have a beer to chill out with.

Ask Al Capone of Pohibition worked... Nope it didn't.

But look who controled the flow of alcohol...

This puts the booze biz into the worst possible hands.

Edited by animatic

That is because you are farangs. :D

If you were Thai you would have had absolutely no problems in finding somewhere to buy booze, and even to sit and drink booze. And I'm talking Bangkok. Up country it's a joke. Everyone can buy and drink all day and all night, 365 days a year. Alcohol restrictions simply don't apply.

You have to understand that nothing is what it seems in Thailand.

Chalerm, and his "crusading" predecessors, know exactly that the Thais will be unaffected by their proposals. That is why they can enact all these nonsense restrictions. It's a mixture of :"public image"; screwing the farangs (they couldn't give two hoots about the tourist uindustry - but anyway they'll still come to f..ck our women, regardless); and an opportunity to make a bit on the side.

This country is run by morally corrrupt people, and is policed by a nationwide mafia.

When you understand this, you will laugh every time you see a thread like this. :D

Update:

Anti-alcohol advocates back minister's plan to ban alcohol during festivals

BANGKOK: -- Anti-alcohol advocacy groups voiced support Public Health Minister Pol. Capt. Chalerm Yoobamrung's suggestion to ban the sale of alcoholic drinks during national festivals as a measure to reduce the carnage on the nation's roadways during holiday periods.

To reduce the number of Thailand's dead, disabled and injured from accidents due to driving while intoxicated, as well as increased levels of speeding and reckless driving, the minister proposed banning the sale of alcoholic beverages during festivals.

AlcoholWatch Network, StopDrink Network, Drink No Alcohol Club and their associated organisations on Friday

submitted a letter to support Mr. Chalerm's policy to ban alcoholic drinks during national festivals including Songkran, Loy Krathong, and New Year.

The ban could enforced under the Alcohol Beverage Control Act B.E. 2551 (2008).

Campaign groups also called on Mr. Chalerm to find a solution on establishments selling alcohol, entertainment venues and billboards carrying advertising for alcohol that were set too close to schools.

Mr. Chalerm on Thursday proposed to control the sale of alcohol during festivals, as holiday drinking tended

lead to death, injury and permanent disabilities.

The minister said he would ask the Rajabhat University's Suan Dusit Poll to survey the public nationwide on

banning alcohol during festivals. The ministry, he said, would follow the opinion of the majority of public.

However, Mr. Chalerm said he expected the public would agree with his idea and that such a ban could be implemented in time for this New Year's festival.

-- TNA 2008-10-03

That is because you are farangs. :D

If you were Thai you would have had absolutely no problems in finding somewhere to buy booze, and even to sit and drink booze. And I'm talking Bangkok. Up country it's a joke. Everyone can buy and drink all day and all night, 365 days a year. Alcohol restrictions simply don't apply.

You have to understand that nothing is what it seems in Thailand.

Chalerm, and his "crusading" predecessors, know exactly that the Thais will be unaffected by their proposals. That is why they can enact all these nonsense restrictions. It's a mixture of :"public image"; screwing the farangs (they couldn't give two hoots about the tourist uindustry - but anyway they'll still come to f..ck our women, regardless); and an opportunity to make a bit on the side.

This country is run by morally corrrupt people, and is policed by a nationwide mafia.

When you understand this, you will laugh every time you see a thread like this. :D

You aren't telling us new news there. Seen this for years.

The restaraunt owner was farang too, he didn't dare

in case someone wanted his corner and would rat him out to close him down.

If I went out to some corner stor in the middle of nowhere,

I KNOW a enough baht would have filled the car trunk.

Which is why the whole idea is so pathetic.

Farangs don't vote and Thais still can drink on election day.

Lose lose for all involved.

Edited by animatic

Maybe the esteemed Khun Chalerm is looking for a nice little sweetener from the booze industry so that he may 're- think' his proposal.

Or perhaps they found someone from the booze industry was supporting PAD...

more the other way around, kind of a common denominator with the PAD. in the PAD you will find the hard core anti-booze and prohibition people.

funny to see some peoples rant here against the ban on alcohol sale on public holidays and also rant against this so so corrupt government.

TRT et seqq. ban the sale of alcohol on buddhist days, ban the sale on around schools and wats, zone entertainment areas and so on, but with PAD new politics comes also new economy - buddhist economy. there is no place for that kind of fun, fun, fun. but only the highest values of moral and ethics. alcohol is the devil of consumerism, disco , party all bad western influence and leads to corrupt people. you know.

Maybe the esteemed Khun Chalerm is looking for a nice little sweetener from the booze industry so that he may 're- think' his proposal.

Or perhaps they found someone from the booze industry was supporting PAD...

more the other way around, kind of a common denominator with the PAD. in the PAD you will find the hard core anti-booze and prohibition people.

funny to see some peoples rant here against the ban on alcohol sale on public holidays and also rant against this so so corrupt government.

TRT et seqq. ban the sale of alcohol on buddhist days, ban the sale on around schools and wats, zone entertainment areas and so on, but with PAD new politics comes also new economy - buddhist economy. there is no place for that kind of fun, fun, fun. but only the highest values of moral and ethics. alcohol is the devil of consumerism, disco , party all bad western influence and leads to corrupt people. you know.

Funny YOU keep saying this,

but no one else I hear says this.

You find all sorts in PAD from drunks to teatotalers,

Philosophers to people who only do as asked.

There is no deification or idol worship, just a variety of

people against corruption in government,

grasping for some ways to get rid of it.

Oh yeah most farangs do NOT spend their days

and vacations hanging in beer bars as implied.

But why should we be prevented if we choose.

Most beer sold in Thailand is sold to Thais hands down.

Lao kaow sales ain't to too many farangs...

More lao kaow is sold here than beer.

Nothing wrong with banning booze sales near schools or wats or playgrounds.

Nothing wrong with banning public drinking in the streets either.

Not that that is done here.

Whether corruption here is worse than western influence is debatable.

Advertising has adopted western ways and sways because it works

and that IS the job of advertising increase sales of what ever the product or idea is.

Thai beer is long a Thai product, and so can't be blamed on any recent western influence.

Boon Raud Brewery existed BEFORE Thailand existed.

Rice liquier is more common that wheat or other grain liquiers

since rice itself it is much more common here.

But alcohol is endemic around the world, one can not say it is western influenced.

Chalerm has recently said ban alcohol sales most of the day,

but don't ban poisoned milk products that go in candy and baby formula

because "it could hurt trade ties with China."

We will soon decide how much poison ADDED to milk is acceptable.

Why should ANY poisons ADDED to ANY milk be acceptable?

Our wives must be whiter, so I out milk should be whiter too..yeah right mate!

Yes moralist to the core.

Poison the babies for better trade relations,

but don't let adults make their own decisions on drinking a beer.

Edited by animatic

When as in Thailand you have a catastrophic road death problem you do what you can.

You seem to live in a very different Thailand than I do.

And last that I checked, drunk driving was ALREADY illegal. If the police and society would do what they could easily do within the current laws, there would be ALREADY much reduced carnage on the roads.

As this has not happened, it is crystal clear to see that it is NOT about road deaths. But as I said, you seem to have a problem thinking more than one step ahead.

The regulation would also proฌhibit liquor sales from 11am2pm and 5pmmidnight every day, except by those with the authority's perฌmission.

I thought liquor sales were already prohibited before 11 am and between 2pm and 5 pm.

Does this make it total prohibition???

Carib. It's got nothing to do with not being able to go without a drink for a few days. Its about people's right to choose, people's enjoyment of their holidays, people's right to run their businesses and make a living and create employment wihtout moralistic interference from hypocrites.

Look at some of the other posts. Do you think this ban will affect those who cannot go without a drink for a few days? Will village moonshine be unavailable on these days?

"This is Thailand, get out and go home if you don't like it" - what a great slogan the tourism authorities could use to counter the drop in visitor numbers that are causing concern to so many and affecting the businesses of so many.

You are a plonker.

In some countries they can send you to war, but you have to wait a few years before you are allowed to have a drink, because you are not mature enough ( 21). Talking about stupidity.

This is Thailand, if you don't like it, get out and go home to the oooooh so good home countries, where everything is much much better.

And if you cannot live without a drink for a few days, you have a problem, and I mean a drinking problem.

This is not an eminently sensible measure. Its consequences are likely to be far reaching and affect the lives and liveliehoods of many in the food / drink / entertainment industry. It will not particularly affect those you arrogantly describe as itinerant farang boozehounds - if anyone will know about an upcoming booze ban and lay in supplies in advance it is the resident farangs. (They will also know the venues which pay the cops and stay open) It will affect those who are on a short holiday and thought they might enjoy a beer or cocktail at sunset or a glass of wine with their meal. Great for tourism.

If you support the forcible imposition of religious morals by a society's government or religious leaders, (because that is what this measure really is) then presumably you also support the principles of sharia law in any muslim country which has the misfortune to be ruled by fanatics.

If your concern is to save lives, expecially in road accidents, there are plenty of measures which would help a lot more. Simply enforcing the law would help - e.g. helmet laws, speed limits, driving hours for truckers and coach drivers, overcrowded vehicles, safe roadworthy vehicles, one way meaning one way, only allowing people with a driving license to drive. And none of these things would require a new law or diktat to be passed.

The predictable response to my comments on an eminently sensible measure rather proves my point about this kind of thread bringing out the worst.Of course the measure doesn't solve the problem and is indeed only a small part of a raft of initiatives that are needed, of which education is the most important.Of course there will be alcohol fuelled deaths where the booze was purchased earlier.But the measure will also save lives as well.It's obviously not nearly enough by itself but it sends a signal and it's a start.When as in Thailand you have a catastrophic road death problem you do what you can.Frankly I doubt whether most Thais give a toss what a few intinerant farang boozehounds have to say on the subject, and to be honest neither do I.

quote name='george' post='2251112' date='2008-10-02 22:34:12']Public health:

Chalerm takes on drinkers

Seeks to invoke legal article allowing more alcoholfree days

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung yesฌterday launched his camฌpaign to ban alcohol sales on public holidays.

Drinking leads to crime and road accidents, resulting in death and injuries, Chalerm said, citing a 2006 report that 31 per cent, or 16 million, of the population were drinkers. Nine million of them drink alcohol on a regular basis.

He assigned the Disease Control Department to consider invoking Article 28 of the Alcohol Beverage Control Act of 2008, which proฌhibits the sale of alcohol on days desฌignated by ministerial regulations.

The regulation should be issued in one month and include public holidays such as New Year's Day, Songkran and religious holidays, Chalerm said.

Dr Saman Futrakul, head of the department's tobacco and alcohol consumption control group, said the regulation had been drafted and submitted to deputy permanent secฌretary Paijit Warachit.

After getting the National Alcohol Consumption Control Committee's approval, the regulaฌtion would need to get Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's sign off and then it would be published in the Royal Gazette for implemenฌtation.

Violators would face up to six months in jail and/or up to a Bt10,000 fine.

The regulation would also proฌhibit liquor sales from 11am2pm and 5pmmidnight every day, except by those with the authority's perฌmission.

Chalerm also put the permanent secretary and Medical Services Department chief in charge of two projects.

One plan would make Thailand an AsiaPacific medical hub by selecting high potential hospitals - one in Bangkok and one in each major tourist city - within one month.

The other plan would expand the successful model of the integration of medical and drugrehabilitation policies in Sa Kaew to other provinces.

-- The Nation 2008-10-03

WOW , what mega-brains at work can do to cure drunk driving , deaths and injury in a country notorious for it , they can achieve all of this in just about a dozen days a year .

So what happens the other 353 days of the year , close all of the roads ?

Mr Charlem chill out pal you are spinning your WHEELs again, this a no BRAINER do your crackdown waste the Tax payer money the booze will be bought a day or so before the holiday, beer will be bought a cool. A better way to go is to try and educate people not to drink party and drive which is bad for your health and saftey and double down for those that are on the road with you. Get with your law enforce buddies and enforce the rules of the road during the holidays. :o:D:D:D:D

WOW , what mega-brains at work can do to cure drunk driving , deaths and injury in a country notorious for it , they can achieve all of this in just about a dozen days a year .

I think you've made a very good point.

I'm too lazy to do the research, but if memory serves me correctly (even after a few Sangsoms, JD :o ), I think you will find that the death toll on the roads for almost any weekend is not that much lower than it is at Songkran, New Year, and other publicc holidays.

It's just posturing, and possibly grafting by a bunch of self serving, grubby politicians.

Not doubting you or animatic, there is always a store somewhere that will sell. Last Saturday, I completely forgot about the election eve booze ban, but luckily I was at Talad Klong Toey (after two cokes at the bar), to buy some chillies and papaya, and luckily there, I was able to buy 2 big bottles of Heineken and Leo, so I could drink together with my partner at home.

Alcohol bans are useless, and if it is to prevent people from driving while under the influence of Alcohol, I would indeed suggest a crackdown on that idiotic behaiviour. Leave people, who just want to drink a few alone :D

I think you've made a very good point.

I'm too lazy to do the research, but if memory serves me correctly (even after a few Sangsoms, JD :o ), I think you will find that the death toll on the roads for almost any weekend is not that much lower than it is at Songkran, New Year, and other publicc holidays.

It's just posturing, and possibly grafting by a bunch of self serving, grubby politicians.

A quick and easy cut back to the situation (as if they have the guts) , cut all highways down to ONE lane , check EVERY vehicle , the hint of alcohol on the drivers breath , into the paddy wagon , vehicle towed .NO EXCEPTIONS .