Linux And Nokia Pc Suite, For Modem.

Richb2004v2

I bought an Asus eeePC a few days ago with Xandos on it. I particularly wanted to try Linux and see if I can get away with it. So far I am very impressed. It seems to do everything I need from a PC, which are the basics i.e. word processor and Internet. However I have one worry. Here in Thailand I connect via wi-fi, which is fine, but in a few weeks I go back to work in the desert of North Africa. Whilst there I connect to the Internet via a USB cable, my Nokia mobile phone, and Nokia PC suite software. After searching the net it seems that Nokia Suite does not support Xandos or Ubuntu. Are there any other ways of getting the Nokia connected? My only alternative idea is to make a dual boot system with XP on a memory card. I have looked into this and it seems to involve buying an external DVD and a lot of hassle (which may be beyond me). This sort of defeats the object of switching to Linux.

Has anyone any suggestions?

I bought an Asus eeePC a few days ago with Xandos on it. I particularly wanted to try Linux and see if I can get away with it. So far I am very impressed. It seems to do everything I need from a PC, which are the basics i.e. word processor and Internet. However I have one worry. Here in Thailand I connect via wi-fi, which is fine, but in a few weeks I go back to work in the desert of North Africa. Whilst there I connect to the Internet via a USB cable, my Nokia mobile phone, and Nokia PC suite software. After searching the net it seems that Nokia Suite does not support Xandos or Ubuntu. Are there any other ways of getting the Nokia connected? My only alternative idea is to make a dual boot system with XP on a memory card. I have looked into this and it seems to involve buying an external DVD and a lot of hassle (which may be beyond me). This sort of defeats the object of switching to Linux.

Has anyone any suggestions?

I replied to your PM.

I am now at work in the desert and have my laptop connected to the internet through my mobile using Linux. In the end it was very easy and worked very well. I just added the connection number, *99#, and it connected. So, I can stick with Linux after all. Brilliant.

This thread is ridiculous.

It starts with a question regarding Xandos and then morphs into ludicrous suggestions to run XP in a virtual machine before reverting to the OP, who miraculously manages to connect his machine to the intertubes by using something that could have been found via a very quick google search.

Linux in Thailand won't ever take off until people learn to RTFM.

This thread is ridiculous.

It starts with a question regarding Xandos and then morphs into ludicrous suggestions to run XP in a virtual machine before reverting to the OP, who miraculously manages to connect his machine to the intertubes by using something that could have been found via a very quick google search.

Linux in Thailand won't ever take off until people learn to RTFM.

Whats so ridiculous? I searched and didn't find anything on the net about this simple subject. There is plenty of info on more intricate issues but not the simple stuff. I was unable to connect whilst in Thailand and was worried about facing the problem at work. As it was I haven't experienced the same obstacle here in the desert. If there was a manual don't you think I would have read it AH. :o

• 1 month later...

I followed the instructions give by Tywais and it works perfectly. I only guessed my user name and password and so far after a couple of hours it has no registered any time used yet...

Now I have to try and install Ubuntu on the laptop and manage a dual boot!!

• 3 weeks later...

I played with Ubuntu 8.04 many times and was not able to connect with my Nokia E51 and the data cable despite a lot of help from our Linus experts. I now am using CAT EVDO so I downloaded Ubuntu 8.1. It was really simple to use AIS EDGE and my Nokia. I'm on-line with it now. Unfortunately I have NOT been able to use EVDO yet. Ubuntu 8.1 has AIS information built in and connects automatically.