Switching To Non-b Visa

Hi,

I'm currently on a 1 month visa stamp that will expire on October 11th. I will be starting my new job on October 6th. Is it realistical that my school will be able to give me all the paperwork needed within the first week so that I can go to lao and get a non-B? I have to go to Vientiane right? Or is it possible to just go to immigration to change visa stamp to non-B?

Edited by iyah

There is a rule that you have to do a change of visa status that requires 21 days remaining on your visa.

To save having problems with time restraints I'd be thinking about doing a quick border run.

Or apply for 7 day extension and hope that they can get the application in, get the reciept for the application and then make a visa run for a ninty day non-b.

Edited by ubonjoe

Since your persmission to stay expires in a few days you can not apply for a change of visa in country. Best advise is to go to Lao and apply for a Non-B with a letter from the school. Note that without a WP you are not allowed to work!

You don't have to go to Vientiane. You can go to any Thai embassy or consulate in any country. I had success in Singapore with all the right documents. Vientiane has been good lately for visa applicants but it seems like they are getting overworked because of their good reputation.

Thanks for your replies guys. So i will either do a quick visa run and try to change my no-visa stamp to a non-b (I think that would be the easiest and cheapest solution) or go to Vientiane (closer than Singapor or other) if needed.

Are the documents required to change visa type at immigration in BKK the same that i would need in Vientiane to apply for a non-b?

Edited by iyah

No. When you apply for a visa change you also apply for an extension of stay for one year. The paperwork that requires is a bit more. You would also already need your WP or at least have applied for that.

When applying for a non-B abroad you only need a letter from the school.

Thanks for your replies guys. So i will either do a quick visa run and try to change my no-visa stamp to a non-b (I think that would be the easiest and cheapest solution) or go to Vientiane (closer than Singapor or other) if needed.Are the documents required to change visa type at immigration in BKK the same that i would need in Vientiane to apply for a non-b?
No. When you apply for a visa change you also apply for an extension of stay for one year. The paperwork that requires is a bit more. You would also already need your WP or at least have applied for that. When applying for a non-B abroad you only need a letter from the school.

Border run is not best option. You might have to do it twice or still have to do visa run if school doesn't come through with paperwork soon enough. Remember you only have 9 days to get it together after border run. Actually it could be less with weekends and etc.

Thanks again for the help. So It sounds like going to Vientiane is my best bet. I will forget about trying to change my visa stamp to non-B in BKK then. I just hope that my school can round up all necessary documents within a few days.

Border run is not best option. You might have to do it twice or still have to do visa run if school doesn't come through with paperwork soon enough. Remember you only have 9 days to get it together after border run. Actually it could be less with weekends and etc.
This is not correct.

If you get a single entry B visa then you will have a 90 day entry stamp and plenty of time to prepare (over two months) to apply for an extension of permission to stay.

You do not switch from a visa exempt entry into a single entry non-B. For a change of visa you will have to submit the documents for an extension of stay for one year.

Better just do a visa run and appply for a single entry non-B.

This is not correct.

If you get a single entry B visa then you will have a 90 day entry stamp and plenty of time to prepare (over two months) to apply for an extension of permission to stay.

I said visa run in one case which is to get a 30 day and then referred to a visa run.

I said visa run in one case which is to get a 30 day and then referred to a visa run.
OP was talking about getting a non B in Laos, so why post about border runs for a 30 day visa exempt stamp? This could have confused the OP even more.
Is it realistical that my school will be able to give me all the paperwork needed within the first week so that I can go to lao and get a non-B?
My advice is get the paperwork from your school, go abroad do a visa run for the single entry 90 day non B and take it from there.

Thanks for your replies guys. So i will either do a quick visa run and try to change my no-visa stamp to a non-b (I think that would be the easiest and cheapest solution) or go to Vientiane (closer than Singapor or other) if needed.

OP was talking about getting a non B in Laos, so why post about border runs for a 30 day visa exempt stamp? This could have confused the OP even more

Read what he wrote very carefully. He said visa run and then or go to Vientiane. I got the impression that he was still thinking about a border run and wrote visa run instead of visa run. I put a quote of what mario2008 wrote to reinforce my statement.

Sorry if i was not being clear. What i meant by 'visa run' is the one-day visa run to get a 30 days stamp. For some reason, I don't call going to Vientiane to get a tourist visa or non-im B a 'visa run' cos one has to stay a couple days there..eventhough i guess it still is a kind of 'visa run'.

Anyways, i'll go to Vientiane to get a non B. Easy.

Sorry if i was not being clear. What i meant by 'visa run' is the one-day visa run to get a 30 days stamp. For some reason, I don't call going to Vientiane to get a tourist visa or non-im B a 'visa run' cos one has to stay a couple days there..eventhough i guess it still is a kind of 'visa run'.

Anyways, i'll go to Vientiane to get a non B. Easy.

Not your fault.

Maybe there should be a glossary of terms used on this forum.

What you called a 30 day stamp = visa exempt entry

Border run = crossing border and returning shortly after.

Visa run = traveling somewhere to get a new visa

Glad you have made up your mind to make the trip to Vientiane.

There is an on going topic or two on here right now concerning trips to Vientiane you might want to look at.

Good Luck

Edited by ubonjoe