Mailing Passport To Another Country For A Visa ....

Of course OP might well be breaking the laws of the country he goes to. If this becomes a common practice (going to a third country and breaking their laws to get a Thailand visa) then the Thai Government will come under pressure to act. This could well result intightening of procedure at consulates such as Hull, Birmingham etc.

Of lesser concern to me is that OP might end up in the slammer in that thirs country. Serve him right.

want Israeli stamps in a passport

entry and exit stamps (not visas) can be done on a special paper that is stapled to the passport and can be removed for entering ' other' countries taht arent friendly to israeli stamps... but that is not a visa...

visas are just permission ot get in the country, what u get at the airport or together with your visa is the permission to stay in the country and this is where u need the paper in the passport or attatched to the passport, that u left the country, and came back in... its not a visa, its an entry /stay permit...

how can u get two different passports? three countries that we have passports for ask for the old one to be voided or u have to fill out countless forms declaring lost or stolen with proof of latter, and then the number is changed as well... so unless u are getting visa on different country passport, how can that be done?

bina

israel

how can u get two different passports? three countries that we have passports for ask for the old one to be voided or u have to fill out countless forms declaring lost or stolen with proof of latter, and then the number is changed as well... so unless u are getting visa on different country passport, how can that be done?
In the UK if you have to do business in, say both Israel and Saudi Arabia, then you can request a second passport to overcome the problem that, as I understand is, neither country will admit you with the other countries' entry stamp in your passport.

they dont stamp in your passport; they attatch a special page to the passport that u can remove... its very simple... on other hand, when u have dual citizenship, u can also use your country of residence passport to go out, and probably your other passport to go in other countries, usa never checks my israeli passport to see if i left, they just stamp me in on my american passport and stamp out at other end... when travelling not to america i use the israeli one since country of residence although if needed i could use the american one if i was crazy enough to go to malaysia or somewhere similar...

but to get visas for same country on two different passports just seems to me to cause potential beurocratic problems that need lengthy explanations... as it is, thailand was complicated enough for my husband (thai) as he had entry visa to israel stamped in new thai passport issued while he was in israel, which is less usual for most foreign workers, and a million stamps on various pages, and thai immigration for some reason like to hassle thai workers also ... thai dont seem to like anything that isnt absoutely same same routine, it throws them off, beurocratically speaking......

bina

israel

want Israeli stamps in a passport

entry and exit stamps (not visas) can be done on a special paper that is stapled to the passport and can be removed for entering ' other' countries taht arent friendly to israeli stamps...

If you are crossing a land border to enter Israel, that may not be enough.

Some countries like Lebanon are smart enough to look for exit stamps from the land borders,

even if you do not have an entry stamp to Israel. :o

However this is off topic,

which is mailing a passport from a third country to obtain an Thai visa.

It was 4-5 years ago. Someone was running a scam, taking passports to a consulate

for issuance of visas, without the owners going as well.

When it all came unravelled the visas were cancelled.

I do not remember the visa types.

There's still a similar scheme going on. They send your passport to Malaysia. It then gets posted to someone in England who organises the visa from Hull. The passport comes complete with exit and entry stamps to Malaysia and Thailand. You'd be living in Thailand for about 4 or 5 weeks without your passport if you were game to do this.

Some correct answers above but just to reiterate, Thailand nor their consulates could not care about your status in another country. It is only the fact that you are not in Thailand that is significant.

Cost wise, you're looking at the cost of going somewhere else, staying there a week or so, perhaps 10 days. Add on 2 Fed Ex charges, the £100 fee, the cost of the special envelopes from the post office in the UK and your costs to get back to LOS, plus any visa costs for wherever you go.

Cheapest option is probably Cambodia

Travel (no idea really) - 3000 ???

Visa - 1000

Hotel for 10 days - 5000

Fed Ex - 3000

Visa fee - 6000

Envelopes - 1000

Food and expenses are discounted because you would have to pay for them in LOS anyway.

So the total is about 19,000. Add in 3 visa runs at Bt2000 each and you have 25k for the year.

Now going to Laos twice and doing 4 border runs / extensions might work out cheaper, I don't know (double entry each time). Not much in it I think.

The cheapest you can do the UK is to fly in and out in the same day / day and a half (it can be done, for certain on Singapore Air as I checked it out).

Costs are:

Airfare - ????

Transport to Hull - 3000

Taxi in Hull - 2000

Transport to Swampy - 2000

Visa fee (£110) - 7000

So you've about 14k plus airfares which is about another 40k minimum (easiest to go to Manchester and train to Hull, LHR needs tube and train). So all in about 60k I think at a minimum. So about 3 times the price of posting it back !

• 2 weeks later...
Of course OP might well be breaking the laws of the country he goes to. If this becomes a common practice (going to a third country and breaking their laws to get a Thailand visa) then the Thai Government will come under pressure to act. This could well result intightening of procedure at consulates such as Hull, Birmingham etc.

Of lesser concern to me is that OP might end up in the slammer in that thirs country. Serve him right.

What a nice guy you are cruncher, thinking only about yourself . Hopefully one day you will need some help and you will have someone just like you offer his negitive advice.

I doubt that the Thai Govt has any interest if I break the laws of another country or not and why would it "serve me right " if I ended up in the slammer. You are being over dramatic my friend.

I will update you all on what I now officially know.

I called Thai Immigration in Bangkok as the local office knows nothing and spoke to a very nice lady who had an excellent command of English. I explained my situation clearly to her, she asked questions and then I did.

As you all seem to know, my big question is can I leave Thailand and then post my passport to my home consulate and in doing so, would that be legal.

The official answer from her is " no " because the Consulates / Embassies have the authority to issue visas ONLY within a certain region. For example, If they issue you a visa in Hull and you are in KL then the Immigration department ( " if they found out" ) would deem this visa illegal.

Same as, if you lived in new york and applied for a visa in Seattle, they would refer you back to new york consulate as they are the only ones allowed to issue visas to NY residents.

Its a grey area and the chances of getting found out ? Extremely Slim

Well I cannot afford to take that chance so its a long flight for me. I have a 10 year passport and some day some officer with not a lot of time on his hands will do a quick look thru the pages and see something is not right.

Everytime I have any dealings with immigration / labor dept they want a full copy of all pages in my passport.

The end

I can tell you this story as a fact. A Brit friend of mine crossed into Laos. He sent his passport via Fed Ex to Hull. Hull issued the one year visa and sent his passport to a sister who lives in the UK. His sister sent the passport to him in Laos also via Fed Ex. I was a little surprised he was able to do that but he did. He had to have been out of Thailand on the date the visa was issued.