How Much Do You Leave The House With, In Wallet Or Purse?

PeaceBlondie

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since I read the book "Papillon", I have tended to keep all my money and important documents in a cigar tube. Up my bottom. Its a little uncomfortable at first, but you soon get used to it. It is the most secure way to carry money around, either on a dangerous island penal colony, or an equally bangkok-dangerous street...

Plus you always get a lot of attention when you settle the bill in a fancy restaurant, for example. :o

On a typical day, leaving the house, unless you work as a money launderer - how much do you carry?

Have your cash-carrying habits changed over the years?

Yesterday I decided to buy some land for 1 million baht. Tonight I will be meeting the owner outside the Spot Lite go go bar in Chiang Mai at 1 .00am to pay him the 1 million baht in cash.

The owner has never seen me before so I will be wearing a yellow cap and red tea shirt with a Union Jack badge so as he can recognize me.

But please dont tell anyone as I dont want to be robbed.

Edited by sassienie

Ever since I read the book "Papillon", I have tended to keep all my money and important documents in a cigar tube. Up my bottom. Its a little uncomfortable at first, but you soon get used to it. It is the most secure way to carry money around, either on a dangerous island penal colony, or an equally bangkok-dangerous street...

Plus you always get a lot of attention when you settle the bill in a fancy restaurant, for example. :D

what if the person has an internal hemorrhoids? :o

Mostly 5000 Baht (70% time).

Quite often 10,000 Baht (15% of time)

or

2000 - 3000 Baht (15% of time)

Depends on intentions and expected spending needs

My wife rarely wishes to carry more than 100 or 200 baht with her so I allow for both of us. (she could always sell her ever-worn gold necklace in an emergency - No she couldn't - STUPID Thought - she'd try to sell me :o )

I also have my UK ATM card at all times for extra unexpected needs

Hope this helps

Edited by gdhm

actually, addressing the last 1/2 of the topic. I do carry less cash with me now than 5+ years ago but that is because there are just about 1000% more ATMs in Thailand now than there were back then

Plus you always get a lot of attention when you settle the bill in a fancy restaurant, for example. :D

You can carry about 300gms of heroin in one of those cigar cases. It's not pleasant being in the same room as the carrier when they come out.

I wouldn't eat in the same restaurant as you Kmart! :o:D

I usually withdraw 10K at a time from the ATM, there's a cash advance fee so the percentage gets a a bit steep if taking out less than that. When I get down to my last 1000 I go to the next ATM.

so for me the answer would be anything from ~1K to ~10K

I never carry any money. I give my wife a 20K budget every month and she pays for anything we need when we are out and about, which usually only consists of a daily run to the market, Big C, or 7-11. I like it that way.

Edited by Lopburi99

I never carry any money. I give my wife a 20K budget every month and she pays for anything we need, which usually just consists of a daily run to the market, Big C, or 7-11. I like it that way.

Which is the reason that I rarely carry any more than 1k with me, I just don't need more. Asides from ciggy/lunch/travel costs during the week I have nothing to spend money on (I actually detest shopping, I have zero patience for it.)

I never carry any money. I give my wife a 20K budget every month and she pays for anything we need when we are out and about, which usually only consists of a daily run to the market, Big C, or 7-11. I like it that way.

I can't communicate with the vendors or cashiers anyway! :o:D (Just GOTTA keep trying to learn more basic Thai!)

You can carry about 300gms of heroin in one of those cigar cases. It's not pleasant being in the same room as the carrier when they come out.

I wouldn't eat in the same restaurant as you Kmart! :D:D

He said tube, not case :o

If i go shopping with the Girlfriend 2-3000 + the ATM card, if i go Bar"s"hopping with the boys 6000-8000 shared around in as many zipped or closed pockets as possible :D

Big spenders out there!! I usually have between 500 - 1500 baht :D

Calm down :o not necessarily using all, just always carrying a bit extra just in case.

Kmart, if I remember correctly, Papillion was bemused by the fact that his container always came out opposite the way he put it in :o , how is yours doing? :D:D

In the US, I would carry no more than $40 in my wallet and my CC. Here, I have upto 500B in my waist punch, and up to 1500B plus my DC hidden in one of my pants pockets. Although I have a CC, I never carry it here since I have not needed to use it on the streets.

So PB, how much do you carry with you?

On a typical day, leaving the house, unless you work as a money launderer - how much do you carry?

Have your cash-carrying habits changed over the years?

I used to carry 10k baht plus, but wised up following a 'near-miss'

So as I've got a bit older its usually 1000 - 2000 baht in pocket. If I'm touring then about a 1000 more.

AND

A decoy wallet containing cheap and obsolete currency is my 'main' wallet in case of the remote chance of an armed robbery.

A Bank card held separately in another pocket.

i carry a wallet, a fake wallet, decoy wallet, an emergency wallet and i have unimpregnable steel socks which hide 10 baht for a phone call in case of emergencies.

i never use credit cards to prevent fraud and my atm card is kept in a hermetically-sealed, time-locked steel lockbox which is only openable for 15 mins every month when i need to pay my rent.

my rent is paid using an intermediary and i have the landlady provide 3 peices of ID and pass a retinal scan to ensure it is really her. the intemediary must go through the same procedure before i will hand over the money. Oh, i also retain custody of the intermediary's child to ensure he doesn't try to make off with the money.

you can be too safe. this is a very dangerous country, and the "average" thai makes about 50 baht a month and would happily killy you for one purple bill.

Plus you always get a lot of attention when you settle the bill in a fancy restaurant, for example. :o

I do believe Papillon used the term "Charger" for carrying his loot.

I wouldn't recommend buying one "second-hand"

What I have in my wallet depends on the daily planning.

5,000 for shopping at lotus

3,000 shopping at central with wife

6,000 shopping with the kids

10,000 if I go and by shoes and clothes for me

3,000 if I go out and eat alone

6,000 if I go out and eat with family

10,000 if I go out and eat with friends

50,000 + CC eating with customers

20,000 party at Bangla all alone

12,000 party with friends

4,000 if I go for a massage

5,000 if I have no idea for the day