Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Front Of Parliament

george

not a woman... a man... blown to bits...

Car explodes in Bangkok, killing 1

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP / 3 minutes ago) — One man has died in a car explosion in the Thai capital of Bangkok that occurred amid anti-government riots.

Police Colonel Somchai Choiklin says authorities suspect the explosion Tuesday was caused by a bomb "because the body was ripped into pieces and other vehicles nearby also caught fire." The identity of the dead man was not known.

The car was parked near the headquarters of the Chart Thai Party, a member of the six-party coalition government of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

Protesters trying to blockade parliament have been having running clashes with police all day. The People's alliance for Democracy protest groups seek to have Somchai's government step down.

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two policemen shot

BANGKOK: -- Two policemen in front of Parliament were injured when someone among the protesters fire at them at about 5:50 pm.

The gun firing prompted police to retreat back inside Parliament.

One was fired at his right collarbone and the other above his right chest.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

At least judging from the pictures I have seen from the clash it sure looks that the PAD demonstrators are armed with Baseball bats and iron pipes, so I guess the peacefull bit can be left out of the discussion from now on.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/asi..._Protest?page=3

they never used it to attack someone, it is only for defense.

Look at all the photos at that link, they were used to attack people.

they discuss the option of changing the way the election system. It is still a democracy. War against Cambodia is just the usual geovalin nonsense. No one beside the Thaksin friends want to harm anyone.

A democratic government is elected, not appointed. Dictators and Juntas are appointed or installed without a democratic vote. In a democratic system, every vote is worth one vote, regardless of your status in life.

Chavalit is experienced enough in Thai politics to know that the end game is approaching and he has a better chance of sneaking his way into another high profile position when the current circus collapses and he can jump on the next merry-go-round.

Agree with that, and Somchai is going to be the scapegoat, for the puppetmaster.

But the question on your lips has to be ... is school gonna be open tomorrow????

Tear gas is nasty at any time. I just wonder how serious all the injuries were. Do those taken to hospital include those who fell over and grazed their skin?

I got 5-1 on someone not going to Phuket from Rodney earler today, I'd like to know what his odds are on this one. :o

Are, but what odds on Somchai taking a little trip to Hua Hin this evening perhaps ?

5-1 ??? I thought he was odds on to go.

Perhaps the difference would be that in England, America or any other country people consider more developed in its politics, a situation where protesters were able to take over Government House or block Parliament wouldn't happen in the first place. Whenever the above has been allowed to happen, has usually resulted in the collapse of a government in trouble. The difference here is that the same figures do a merry dance, swap seats, change names and alliances and try to convince people that the underlying problems have disappeared.
It's true. Back in The States, we'd set up a "Free Speech Zone" on a deserted street a mile from where anyone could possibly observe the protesting and then arrest anyone who assembled or organized outside of the fence that surrounds the "Free Speech Zone."

Another big difference here is that the Opposition are so silent! Why is Abhisit so restrained on all this to the point of appearing to be so weak! Can you imagine the Opposition in any Western country not having a bit more to say on the subject of their own citizens being shot at/teargassed by a corrupt and discredited government?

Don't worry too much - Abhisit will speak very severely to PPP next time parliment meets - now that's sure to get some positive results.

Another big difference here is that the Opposition are so silent! Why is Abhisit so restrained on all this to the point of appearing to be so weak! Can you imagine the Opposition in any Western country not having a bit more to say on the subject of their own citizens being shot at/teargassed by a corrupt and discredited government?

Can you imagine the Opposition in any Western country actively conniving with unelected anti-democratic pressure groups occupying government property in flagrant defiance of the law?

6:12 Thai TV coverage of latest developments ...

Ch.3 - Chinese soap opera. Bit boring but worth a quick look if you like that kind of thing.

Ch. 5 - Farming show. Looks peaceful enough. No tear gas reported.

Ch. 7 - Some lass covered in white lotion with big eyes. Would look a right state if she encountered tear gas wearing just a nightie and a pair of slippers.

Ch.9 - Something about a kangaroo, or is it a wallaby? Next line of defence perhaps after the police lines are broken.

NBT - Political chit chat about the current situation.

TPBS - Reports from the scene and lots of ka ka ka

TNN - Pictures and reports from the scene. Protesters in good spirits. Lots of smiles and those happy clappy things.

they discuss the option of changing the way the election system. It is still a democracy. War against Cambodia is just the usual geovalin nonsense. No one beside the Thaksin friends want to harm anyone.

A democratic government is elected, not appointed. Dictators and Juntas are appointed or installed without a democratic vote. In a democratic system, every vote is worth one vote, regardless of your status in life.

Yes this government is for example NOT democratic elected (so the Election Commission says). so they are Dictators in your words.

Can you imagine the Opposition in any Western country actively conniving with unelected anti-democratic pressure groups occupying government property in flagrant defiance of the law?

Don't need to imagine. It happened over many years at Greenham Common in the UK both when the tories and Labour held power. No differant there then as here now, all politicians are basicialy immoral and corrupt and will side with any group if it will get their snouts in the trough.

At least judging from the pictures I have seen from the clash it sure looks that the PAD demonstrators are armed with Baseball bats and iron pipes, so I guess the peacefull bit can be left out of the discussion from now on.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/asi..._Protest?page=3

they never used it to attack someone, it is only for defense.

Look at all the photos at that link, they were used to attack people.

Looks like a performance of YMCA to me ...

Time to tighten your belts again. The price of tear gas is set to soar tomorrow.

Poor old Wongsawat can't seem to find a decent microphone to speak into either. Who's organizing his press conferences?

Edited by Sunderland

Yes this government is for example NOT democratic elected (so the Election Commission says). so they are Dictators in your words.

I'd say the only difference was that they bought more votes than the opposition ... You aren't going to try to tell me that the vote buying was one sided are you?

Are you joking?

This issue (end of usual democracy) and the war against Cambodia are the two main points of Sondhi rhetoric.

Pardon my ignorance. I bow to someone more informed. It's inaccurate reporting at its worst. Anyway, what "war" are you referring to? I guees that you mean the border skirmishes up at Phra Viharn.......again misinformation about what is actually happening.

Edited by Taijitu

Police deployed inside Parliament to prevent raid

BANGKOK: -- At 6.00 pm, the deadline of ultimatum for House dissolution, anti-riot police have been deployed inside Parliament and all officials have been cleared out. Some reporters are trapped because they could not pack broadcasting equipment before gates closed.

Two police officers sustained gun shot wounds but medical workers have yet to gain access to bring them to hospital.

Protesters are congregating in the areas to resume the siege.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

Bangkok Port workers set sympathy strike for PAD activists at noon Thursday

BANGKOK, Oct 7 (TNA) - In a show of defiance against the government and to give moral support to the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) in their ongoing fight against police, members of the Port Authority of Thailand (PAT) labour union will stop work at Bangkok Port starting from noon Thursday, Somkiat Rodcharoen, President of the PAT Labour Union said Tuesday.

Mr. Somkiat said the Port Authority Labour Union had allowed about 3,600 members to exercise their discretion in joining PAD demonstrators occupying Government House and holding rallies at Parliament and the Bangkok Metropolitan Police headquarters from Tuesday.

The Port Authority has become the first state enterprise whose employees will stop work in support of the PAD protesters demanding the ouster of the coalition government of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

In early September its workers had stopped work in protest against the then government of prime minister Samak Sundaravej, causing heavy damage to the PAT in terms of revenue losses and hurt goods shipping for importers and exporters.

Mr. Somkiat said the union began informing shippers Tuesday about the planned strike, and if they are unable to complete loading or unloading goods before noon Thursday, the shippers should switch to other ports like they did last month.

PAT Director-General Sunida Skulratana admitted that the planned work stoppage will definitely hurt the agency's revenue and that the agency could face lawsuits from private transporters.

Three to five cargo ships use the facilities at Bangkok Port daily, with the PAT earning about Bt10 million daily, Mrs. Sunida said. That income would be wiped away because of the strike, she said.

It's difficult to analogize to the US, really. I was really being flip in my answer, but the larger answer is that analyzing what's going on here with respect to how it would be handled in mature political systems with relatively strong institutions won't yield much wisdom I don't think.

Everyone who has lived here for a while knows at least in broad terms what's going on here and then would therefore understand that the reason this wouldn't happen in The States (or in Western Europe or many other places for example) in the first place isn't because of how our police would handle one or another incident, but because whatever our faults may be, and they are legion, our codified institutions of government are stronger than any non-institutional groupings that exist within our society. Obviously that's being tested right now because of the political mission the country has embarked on over several decades - and that's a very interesting topic to go into - but I don't think turning this into a discussion about America really helps it along. So, to close on topic, yeah, it's sad to see this happening, but it essentially had to happen as the current situation is completely untenable. That's the one thing that's true no matter which faction you support.

I just left my office in Banglamphu and followed the normal route down Ratchasima road toward Dusit. I made it as far as the Uni in Ratchasima behind the Parliament and it would appear that the forntline is here. I spoke to a few of the protesters before the police fired CS Gas at us and i started the bike and got out of there. It's a war zone down there at the moment and the air is filled with CS Gas and smoke from the car bomb. The PAD did not appear to be armed, only a few baseball bats. They pointed to the police and told me "Those Police they NOT Thai!" It looks a lot worse than anything bI saw before the previous coup, a lot more seething tension and violence. Not a good night ahead.

Roachie

Two policemen shot

BANGKOK: -- Two policemen in front of Parliament were injured when someone among the protesters fire at them at about 5:50 pm.

The gun firing prompted police to retreat back inside Parliament.

One was fired at his right collarbone and the other above his right chest.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

The BIB have probably started shooting each other now.

Protesters drive pickup to hit police

Anti-government protesters drive a pickup and ran over dozens of police at U-Thong Nai intersection in Dusit district on Tuesday.

Some 10 police were injured and were rushed to a hospital nearby. Most injured police suffered broken legs.

Pol Sgt Naruepon Kaewkla, who was also injured, said that a group of police were stationing at the intersection when a group of the protesters drove a pick up and ran towards them.

The sergeant said the hit knocked down many police.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30085391

The night's still young. This isn't going away soon.

Edited by frodo

Protesters drive pickup to hit police

BANGKOK: -- Anti-government protesters drive a pickup and ran over dozens of police at U-Thong Nai intersection in Dusit district on Tuesday.

Some 10 police were injured and were rushed to a hospital nearby. Most injured police suffered broken legs.

Pol Sgt Naruepon Kaewkla, who was also injured, said that a group of police were stationing at the intersection when a group of the protesters drove a pick up and ran towards them.

The sergeant said the hit knocked down many police.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

I'd say the only difference was that they bought more votes than the opposition ... You aren't going to try to tell me that the vote buying was one sided are you?

Yes it was extreme one sided. There were just real minor cases from the opposition, while it was everywhere from the PPP. And even if you can catch some cases of the opposition, how does it make the PPP vote buying better?

With vote buying and specially in such a massive scale, you can't speak about democratic elected anymore. They bought their way into power.

Hi :o

If this was "in the west" as some keep on saying, Government House would have been burnt to the ground today. It still amazes me how peaceful the protesters really are - they only defend themselves against immediate attacks, but they don't seem to target property or other people IN ATTACK.

In Germany or France, a protest like this would have seen smashed Windows around town, cars up in flames, burning barricades in the streets and worse. And the police would respond with water cannons - ONLY water cannons.

Demonstrating against an unlawful government (which, again, was elected but NOT DEMOCRATICALLY because they paid voters for their votes) is the only thing these people can do, as "waiting for the next election" would not yield the desired effect - by then those in power will have made sure they can more or less legally buy any election from then on.

And what better place to protest against a government than at the government's work place...... in my opinion, the demonstration/protest including the siege on that property is perfectly legit and a method of true democracy ("people power") at work.

Best regards....

Thanh