Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Front Of Parliament

george

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just got back from the Parliament House demonstrations.

I'll check the street names and post photos to prove some of what I saw.

All I can say is that BOTH sides are barking mad. Totally barking mad.

First - there were NO children shields or any other of the tosh like what I have read about on this forum about the previous days clashes. There were some 12 year olds riding on the backs of two pick ups droppig off water at the side of the roads (to douse the coming tear gas) but no kids anywhere else that I saw. No daft parents then.

Yes there was the usual golf club, and strange folk believing that carrying sticks with nails in the end would help the situation. Mixed in with a hard core protestor male cohort were middle aged / middle class folk WEARING SWIMMING GOGGLES to protect themself from any tear gas that would happen. Young lasses out for the outing doing the usual poses for heir cameras.

Some of the PAD were simply asking for it, and had either more balls than a striking Yorkshire miner, or less brainpower than a nat. They were blockading the side entrance with a rolled police van and disabled police and EMS vehicles.

Around 4.00ish tear gas explosions could be heard coming from the side of Parliament House, as the police started to push back the demonstrators, which I would think was to stop the blockade developing further at the side. The police line behind us (about 200m away) on Ratchewti (???) Road opened up, giving an easy exit route to anyone who wanted to get out. Smart move.

I'd say around 50 tear gas cannisters came down on Ratchaweti / Thanon Pichai intersection over the space of an hour and a half. I was back up by the Dusit Zoo side entrance at this time.

I do not know if there were any bull horn warnings for the crowd to move off the public streets or they'd get tear gassed. But I heard nothing.

The police simply came up from one direction and pushed the protestors back from the side of Parliament House, retaking the side gate and the road up to the Pichai / Ratchaweti intersection - many of the PAD bottled it and ran back to the Ratcheweti Bridge over the klong. Most of the women cleared off, even the PAD guard were running like mad when the tear gas came down. And some threw water bottles at the exploding cannisters. There was never more than one cannister fired at a time. Probably three in the space of a minute was the worst it got.

The police then pushed around the front of Parliament House. Pushing back the crowd in front of the gates and the speakers on top of the trucks. (I worked this out later when I popped round there.)

The crazy part is now.

The police having taken back the road "disappeared" - no idea where they went, rather than securing the area, or having another group of police following up to set up lines to stop the protestors coming back.

So then the more ballsy demonstrators went back up the road to the side entrance and rolled (yes rolled) a police van - making it the second one on its side. They took back he ground easily, ground that shouldn't have been left unattended by the police.

Thus the police have to come back again with more tear gas. And they clear it a second time. To then bugger off again.

Then a demonstrator gets in a coach (a coach !!!! - a dobbing big one) and drives it at the police lines.... but he stopped short of them by a fair way after they opened up with more tear gas. (I didn't see pick up trucks go in to the "front line area" other than to pick up those suffering from tear gas burns.)

I decided to come home at this point. My jeans were soaking wet from all the water thrown and I was developing that awful golfer's bum condition us old blokes know too well.

Sorry if it is a garbled account. But I think you get the idea.

Good report. Thanks for that.

About 20 minutes ago when a fresh tear gas attack was launched, there was clearly (from TV pictures) more than 1 tear gas cannister being fired at a time. Certainly cleared the PAD protesters sharpish.

19:04 - a few blasts are heard!

Today was the first time I heard tear gas get fired (the first bang) and then a couple of seconds later a bigger blast when the thing goes off. Yeah I would describe the second as a blast, a 'kin loud one.

blah blah blah

Good report. Thanks for that.

About 20 minutes ago when a fresh tear gas attack was launched, there was clearly (from TV pictures) more than 1 tear gas cannister being fired at a time. Certainly cleared the PAD protesters sharpish.

I would think the police were getting pissed off by then.

So they would fire off a few at a time.

What with their commanders having no idea of crowd control and making them do the same thing again and again, and what with the protestors running back into the area I'd imagine Johny Corporal would get the idea he and his chums could do it better left to their own devices.

A hundred and sixty-two people have been injured in crowd dispersal

Wonder who is going to foot the bill of all this people in the hospital.

Or is it a 30 Baht hospital?

From the morning: HM the Queen:

The nation:

HM the Queen worried over police's use of tear gas on protesters

HM the Queen is very worried on the police's use of tear gas to disperse anti-government protesters at the Parliament.

"HM the Queen is very worried that the incident happened and that many people were injured during the incident," the director of the Vachira Hospital said.

The Queen donated Bt100,000 to Vachira Hospital where many injured protesters were treated.

The Royal Household Bureau informed the hospital to foot the bills of the injured protesters with the bureau.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/10/07...es_30085316.php

But I don't know if that counts also for the evening.

Today was the first time I heard tear gas get fired (the first bang) and then a couple of seconds later a bigger blast when the thing goes off. Yeah I would describe the second as a blast, a 'kin loud one.

Are the tactics used today going to be used all over again tomorrow? I know the police are using a certain degree of restraint and some people believe that they are simply preventing protesters blocking Parliament. But it is odd how they drive back the protesters so far, then appear to retreat themselves. Surely it would be more sensible to hold the ground they gain and then slowly but surely drive the protesters back further. Sounds easier than perhaps it is in practice.

Imageaspx6t6e.jpg

PAD in provinces rush to join Bangkok's rally

Supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy throughout the country have condemned the police for the violent crackdown at Parliament, while a mass number of supporters have rushed to join the rally in Bangkok.

Following the dissolution of the anti-government protest at Parliament this morning, Natcharong Ekpermsab, leader of the Phuket Thailand Watch Foundation, read a statement blaming police for using force against the protesters. The group has also urged the government to release the core PAD leaders Chamlong Srimuang and Chaiwat Sinsuwong.

Also, they affirmed they will continue fighting with the PAD until the very end, while more local PAD supporters have traveled to join the rally in Bangkok.

Hundreds of PAD supporters in Songkhla Province have rushed to Bangkok this morning after hearing the news, while the Songkhla Nakarin University prepared two buses for everyone who wants to join the mass protest in Bangkok.

Satun locals have expressed their gratitude after hearing that Her Majesty the Queen has bestowed 100,000 baht to help the PAD protesters who were injured in this morning's violent crackdown.

A core leader of the "Mai Sai Fights For Nation" group said he has been monitoring the situation and around 100 Youth PAD supporters have already left for Bangkok.

PAD supporters in many provinces have continued to join the rally in Bangkok and intend to stay for long. They also collected money and food donations for their fellow protesters.

- TOC / 2008-10-07

All I can say is that BOTH sides are barking mad. Totally barking mad.

First - there were NO children shields or any other of the tosh like what I have read about on this forum about the previous days clashes. There were some 12 year olds riding on the backs of two pick ups droppig off water at the side of the roads (to douse the coming tear gas) but no kids anywhere else that I saw. No daft parents then

I decided to come home at this point. My jeans were soaking wet from all the water thrown and I was developing that awful golfer's bum condition us old blokes know too well.

Best post of the day.

Dozens of police cars, fire trucks rush into Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Dozens of police cars and fire trucks were seen running on the inbound Bangna - Chon Buri Elevated Expressway into Bangkok at about 7 pm Tuesday.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

Are the tactics used today going to be used all over again tomorrow? I know the police are using a certain degree of restraint and some people believe that they are simply preventing protesters blocking Parliament. But it is odd how they drive back the protesters so far, then appear to retreat themselves. Surely it would be more sensible to hold the ground they gain and then slowly but surely drive the protesters back further. Sounds easier than perhaps it is in practice.

It sounds to me as if they are not sure how far they should go. Securing an area bit by bit would be the norm, but there tactics appear quite bizzarre, clearing an area, only to retreat and allow the protesters to regroup and return.

Currently watching TNN live. Protesters moved forward to a barricade (barbed wire) separating them from the police.

Lots of tear gas fired and reporter had to run for cover. Police seen advancing and banging their riot shields with batons.

Looks like they are trying to drive back the protesters as far as possible.

Continuous firing of tear gas ... protesters have retreated about 300-400 yards.

Is that available on the internet?

TNN is on Truevisions (channel number 7) on the remote. They seem to have continuous coverage of what's been happening. I am not sure where their alliances lie, but the channel does at least show live TV footage and not hide behind soap operas and game shows.

BANGKOK: -- Dozens of police cars and fire trucks were seen running on the inbound Bangna - Chon Buri Elevated Expressway into Bangkok at about 7 pm Tuesday.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

Interesting. Perhaps they are gonna change tactics and hose the protesters.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

Interesting. Perhaps they are gonna change tactics and hose the protesters.

Probably because those overturned police vans and coach are going to get torched.

4 trucks of soldiers deployed to former Supreme Command compound

BANGKOK: -- Four trucks of soldiers were deployed to keep security at the Sua Pa compound at 6:50 pm.

The area used to be the Supreme Command head ofice.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

Dear mister Somchai is showing his true face very fast. He asks for peace with one hand and with the other hand he commits violence. Shows what kind of a person he is.

Waerth

violence against coup-makers is justified. PAD is trying to overthrow the government and they want to take away the rights of the poor to vote. In any civilized country they would have been rightfully mowed down. Imagine if protesters in the U.S. or England stormed congress or parliament. Special forces would have been brought in and taken care of business proper like!

PAD leaders are cowards and they are only in it for personal gain just like the Thaksin puppet government.

Blocking the road to Parliament and disabling the government to work, cutting electricity and water are already illegal.

PAD had done too many illegal stuff, why not just let them illegally seize the country, wallop all the PPP ministers and be the government so everything would end?

People who takes neutral side is more than tired of PAD's illegal acts.

Currently watching TNN live. Protesters moved forward to a barricade (barbed wire) separating them from the police.

Lots of tear gas fired and reporter had to run for cover. Police seen advancing and banging their riot shields with batons.

Continuous firing of tear gas ... protesters have retreated about 300-400 yards.

[TNN is on Truevisions (channel number 7) on the remote. They seem to have continuous coverage of what's been happening. /I am not sure where their alliances lie, but the channel does at least show live TV footage and not hide behind soap operas and game shows.

Yes - TNN People - Channel 7 - TRUE - now have continuous live coverage - though their cameras appear to be far behind the actual lines -

Looking increasingly likely that tempers are becoming more frayed and the sticks and empty water bottles might be replaced with heavier weapons soon.

Someone mentioned that 4 people had lost legs ... I am not an expert in the use of tear gas to disperse crowds, but I have not heard of people losing legs before.

I don't think even neutral Thais who couldn't care less, can have much confidence in Wongsawat at the current time when the police are using random tactics and he is largely hiding in the background. Who would want to be in his shoes, if it were not for the baht and status afforded when in a position of corrupt political power. Puppet ... muppet.

Probably because those overturned police vans and coach are going to get torched.

Dear mister Somchai is showing his true face very fast. He asks for peace with one hand and with the other hand he commits violence. Shows what kind of a person he is.

Waerth

violence against coup-makers is justified. PAD is trying to overthrow the government and they want to take away the rights of the poor to vote. In any civilized country they would have been rightfully mowed down. Imagine if protesters in the U.S. or England stormed congress or parliament. Special forces would have been brought in and taken care of business proper like!

PAD leaders are cowards and they are only in it for personal gain just like the Thaksin puppet government.

Changing the constitution to prevent punishment and dissolving the party so government can stay in power against the former laws can be considered as coup.

So PAD has the right to protect the law, constitution and democracy.

PAD ... want to take away the rights of the poor to vote. ... Imagine if protesters in the U.S. or England stormed congress or parliament.
Imagine if protesters stormed the English Parliament and demanded a ... House of Lords?

Thailand is a distinct country with a distinct history, distinct laws and a distinct current political situation. That's not to say that one can't draw parallels from the histories of other countries or even the current reality of some I'm sure, but comparing present day Thailand with its political instability and lack of institutional strength to The UK or America and then declaring what would happen in The UK or America really does not provide any insight and generally seeks to inflame the conversation.

Changing the constitution to prevent punishment and dissolving the party so government can stay in power against the former laws can be considered as coup.
No it can't, not in any sense - either legal or rhetorical. You're completely off-base. That's not to say that you can't have a legitimate grounds for believing in the right of a people to protest or even act to overthrow a government that they believe is unjust or tyrannical or illegitimate (or pick whatever charges you like) and I'm not arguing that point pro or con, but you can't just co-opt real words and use them nonsensically and then pretend that it proves something. Aside from being wrong, it's also inflammatory and completely disruptive to rational conversation. Edited by on-on

[TNN is on Truevisions (channel number 7) on the remote. They seem to have continuous coverage of what's been happening. /I am not sure where their alliances lie, but the channel does at least show live TV footage and not hide behind soap operas and game shows.

Yes - TNN People - Channel 7 - TRUE - now have continuous live coverage - though their cameras appear to be far behind the actual lines -

I suspect that is as a result of the tear gas launched at around 18:45. The reporter and cameraman were very close to the front line at that point and had to make a dash for it when the cannisters started landing near their feet.

It appears that TNN has cameras at 2 locations ... one shows PAD members casually walking around, perhaps back inside the grounds of Government House (?) while the other camera is concentrating on the police's front line. There appears to be a good few hundred yards between the police and any PAD demonstrators. With the current tensions, I think we can expect the PAD to mount a further march on the police line. Although, hard to see what it can achieve when the police will simply repel it with more tear gas. Cat and mouse.

Waerth

So PAD has the right to protect the law, constitution and democracy.

I don't agree with much of what has been reported about PAD's demands. However, I strongly believe that Parliament is currently filled with crooks of the highest order. I guess this is why there has been such a stalemate for so long.

Blocking the road to Parliament and disabling the government to work, cutting electricity and water are already illegal.

PAD had done too many illegal stuff, why not just let them illegally seize the country, wallop all the PPP ministers and be the government so everything would end?

People who takes neutral side is more than tired of PAD's illegal acts.

True ... and then again ... the political and economic rape of the country by certain persons who bought their way to power is hardly legal either ... as the courts have shown in recent times. Expect the courts to keep going and slowly but surely weed out the crooks.

Don't expect miracles over night, but there are signs of political change in Thailand. It's possibly going to be harder (although not impossible) to buy power in the future. That's a step in the right direction.

PAD ... want to take away the rights of the poor to vote. ... Imagine if protesters in the U.S. or England stormed congress or parliament.
Imagine if protesters stormed the English Parliament and demanded a ... House of Lords?

Thailand is a distinct country with a distinct history, distinct laws and a distinct current political situation. That's not to say that one can't draw parallels from the histories of other countries or even the current reality of some I'm sure, but comparing present day Thailand with its political instability and lack of institutional strength to The UK or America and then declaring what would happen in The UK or America really does not provide any insight and generally seeks to inflame the conversation.

No it can't, not in any sense - either legal or rhetorical. You're completely off-base. That's not to say that you can't have a legitimate grounds for believing in the right of a people to protest or even act to overthrow a government that they believe is unjust or tyrannical or illegitimate (or pick whatever charges you like) and I'm not arguing that point pro or con, but you can't just co-opt real words and use them nonsensically and then pretend that it proves something. Aside from being wrong, it's also inflammatory and completely disruptive to rational conversation.

So what are you if you try to block an illegitimate criminal group from forming a government without trying to get power yourself?? For sure not a coupmaker.

English is not my mother language, don't know whats the right word.

A coup is if you overthrow a government to seize power. PAD does not want power, just want to prevent evil from getting power.

Seems the protests are expanding...

Is this the beginnings of a civil war???

Any wagers on how long before the tanks roll out???

Doubtful that it will lead to civil war as not enough of the populace are interested in what's going on. However, an escalation of violence between the police and the PAD protesters will almost certainly lead to a coup. At the moment a coup would appear to be the best way to bring an end to the stalemate that appears to have no chance of resolution.

Many people criticised the lack of development during the period under military control, but it could hardly be any less than in the period under Samak and Wongsawat when squat all has happened in the way of moving forward.

A coup is if you overthrow a government to seize power. PAD does not want power, just want to prevent evil from getting power.

That is fairly naive... Every government on the planet is corrupt... It's just that the Thai's a not as subtle as most...

So what if the PAD succeeds, do you think the next batch of bureaucrats will be less corrupt??? If so, why???