Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Front Of Parliament

george

Sathit says opposition MPs may not walk over people's blood to attend meeting

Chief opposition whip Sathit Wongnongtoey said Tuesday that opposition MPs may not walk over the people's blood to attend the government policy debate.

"How could MPs walk over the people's blood to attend the meeting?"

The Nation / 3 minutes ago

Hear hear for the Democrats. They have no links with PAD whatsoever of course, and none of all this will benefit them in any way. They take a moral stand, not wanting to tarnish their pristine reputations as the second most popular party that can't seem to win an election via the ballot box.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well we know a lot people from Koh Samui, Phuket, Pattaya, Nakhon SiThammarat. They usually pay together for the bus and if someone has no money he can come for free. Food and drinks are there for free for everyone, usually the vegetarien food from Chamlong or donated food. Many areas cook together and also sell for very low prices (their self costs, which are often nothing if everything is donated). Today my wife wanted to bring nudels but it didn't happen. But no need to sleep on the streets, everything is full of donated tends. So yes you can stay there without spending any money and for sure you get gifts. If someone looks poor for example my wife buys some toys for the kids....It is a nice each other loving community, but not a "rent a mob". We have a lot namecards from business owners there and my staff met some of our customer there and that are all people who are wealthy enough....

Ah yes, I know that there are free transport for some people who wants to help but cant afford to go.

I've watched ASTV for quite a few time, and I've seen tons of donations from the people around, which shows nice 'arms-to-arms' demonstrations of people to hold hand with.

I for one, would love to have the chance to enter the Parliament area or where the PAD's are mobbing in Bangkok, it's probably a once in lifetime opportunity!

Still, after personally hearing from my friends who fully supported PAD and have no reasons to lie that they were being paid, I can only believe that some of the people are paid, while others came with a pure heart to purge Thaksin forever. :o

Some of the police are armed with shot-guns, a shot-gun blast aimed at the feet or legs would certainly cause the damage seen so far on pictures posted here.

I've been watching the news for the whole day through all the official channels, and I switched channel often, I dont see where the police had shotguns except for their Tear Gas Launchers.

unrest_aw107.jpg

r1440190081.jpg

Nice pictures! This should be wide-spread to all the citizens in the Kingdom.

Some of the police are armed with shot-guns, a shot-gun blast aimed at the feet or legs would certainly cause the damage seen so far on pictures posted here.

I've been watching the news for the whole day through all the official channels, and I switched channel often, I dont see where the police had shotguns except for their Tear Gas Launchers.

unrest_aw107.jpg

r1440190081.jpg

Despite it being a shot-gun it could hold rubber bulletts.

i am no expert though.

BREAKING NEWS

Armed forces to help police if necessary

BangkokPost.com) – Troops from all of the armed forces were ordered on standby on Tuesday night to help plice if necessary in case street protests get ouf of hand, army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

Col Sansern insisted that the soldiers will not be armed, and their responsibility is to keep the country in order.

He reiterated that violence will not occur, and that soldiers would not stage a coup.

There seems to be no purpose or coordination to the police's efforts. I'm watching on TNN and they go backwards then forwards. I think the latest 'retreat' was due to tear gas blowing back on them! Just behind the PAD barricade you can see traffic moving along the roads. Why haven't the police closed down the area? Why haven't they moved behind the PAD? Knowing the Thai police I guess it is just incompetence.

I think you are right. I've just had a look at some of the photos I took and it seems on further examination and a lot of quinting that few of the police are wearing gas masks. So they'd have to retreat from the gassed areas.

Link to them is here....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11401580@N03/

(I'm still uploading some of them)

Mind you, looking at some of the ridiculous outfits many protestors were wearing I am starting to think no one has read the "what to do when you shoot gas up a street" manual.

The daily mail co uk have a ton of pictures if anyone is interested..

This picture at the end caught my attention.. Is that tear gas or a grenade? Any experts here?

article-1070936-02EC75CF00000578-833_468x347_popup.jpg

3 People are dead now.

Well it's certainly not a tear-gas cannister and it looks too big for a hard-boiled egg.

Could be a tear gas grenade.

This is what I am thinking. I don't really know what a tear gas grenade looks like but I think that a hand thrown grenade would/could be smaller than a canister because it would not need the projectile unit.

Just a guess like, it would all be a bit silly if it was an egg.

It's diameter matches the bore of the weapon. My guess is that he's too close to the protesters to fire the gun as the force of the shot would lob it way past the PAD, so he's decided to throw it for more accuracy. An anti-personell grenade isn't going to blow off a foot or leg without shrapnel tearing apart a fair part of the rest of the body. I haven't seen shrapnel wounds so far.

BREAKING NEWS

BangkokPost.com) – Troops from all of the armed forces were ordered on standby on Tuesday night to help plice if necessary in case street protests get ouf of hand, army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

Col Sansern insisted that the soldiers will not be armed, and their responsibility is to keep the country in order.

He reiterated that violence will not occur, and that soldiers would not stage a coup.

Unarmed armed forces ? :o:D

If this were any other country on the planet, how long do you think the government would allow protesters to occupy the seat of government without being dispersed, alive or dead??? In my home country, they would have never been allowed to take control in the first place...

With this latest flurry of violence, Thailand can write-off high season this year... Yes, tourism is only 6% - 7% of GDP, but that's still billions of baht... How will the BiB survive without having farang tourists to extort money from???

1. It's not, it's Thailand.

2. This isn't your home country.

3. It gets written off every year by people on this very forum, and yet it still exists.

4. Probably Thai people who they usually extort money from. Pretty rare for them to extort money from foreigners. Hasn't happened to me in 10 years here. You must be unlucky or get yourself into stupid situations.

Let's add to the above that while Thailand deals with its problems, many other countries have to deal with the crash of their financial markets. Now that is a real problem.

Soon enough, Thailand with also have it's own financial problems to deal with - I wonder how they'll cope?

Wounds are not caused by tear gas, but powerful explosives : doctors

BANGKOK: -- Vachira Hospital's director Dr Wanchai Charoenchokthavee said the protesters's wounds were not likely to be from tear gas.

Despite police insisted of using tear gas, several photos showed one protester lost his leg and another protester lost his foot.

The leg amputation has already been posted. Here's the other victim of "tear-gassing"....

Imageaspx5432.jpg

TOC

Looks to me like a careless PAD shot himself on his foot. :o:D:D

BREAKING NEWS

Unarmed armed forces ? :o:D

They'd be, errrrm, 'forces' then.

Perhaps a solution to the problem is to give the protesters a job, then they wouldn't be able to sit on the streets all day and night, if they had to wake up at 6am to go to work.

they have a job PAD are paying them 500 baht a day to protest!!!!

And again...tell where to pick up the money...my wife is there every day but can't find where to pick up money.

It is simply a lie.

My wife says several people from a neighbouring village have just returned from several weeks paid protesting, the nearer the front the more you get paid. Money is kept under the rice containers!

They didn't want to get hurt and weren't really interested in the cause but the "money was too good to pass up"

As bad as this is, it is not nearly as bad as in 1992 when Thai people were fighting the Army. As it stands now, The Army (PAD) is fighting with the government and the Thai people are not really involved one way or the other. One feels compassion for the dead and injured police officers and for the indoctrinated PAD employees and volunteers. That photo of Chamlong's "arrest" really makes one sick as the arresting officer and Chamlong both knew exactly what was coming.

Giles is fairly on the ball as usual although a bit generalised

Asia Sentinel

Has Panlop really fallen out with Chamlong this is the question. Do we see the manipulation of a factionalised army?

In fact I think we do and that is why the Democrats are hedging their bets. I have never seen a bigger collection of opportunists in my life.

If we see a factionalised army this could work in the govts favour and present an opportunity to clear the PAD. There is a side who may have woken up - its not the PAD or the PPP before anyone makes assumptions.

You like Goebbels, right? He told that you just repeat a lie often enough than people will believe it.

That 500 Baht a day is lie, there is no evidence at all beside that some PPP supporter tell about it.

My Thai Son was offered that, he is a good lad and told them to ......................... :o and was a "Solidier to boot" :D

Go out into the "Battle Field" :D and find out for yourself :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

You like Goebbels, right? He told that you just repeat a lie often enough than people will believe it.

That 500 Baht a day is lie, there is no evidence at all beside that some PPP supporter tell about it.

My Thai Son was offered that, he is a good lad and told them to ......................... :o and was a "Solidier to boot" :D

Yours truly,

500 Baht is a lie. The going rate is only 300 Baht/day + free food. 1,500 Baht/day for those who conduct duties.

Do you know of one that looks like this one?

Which looks a lot more like what the policeman had.

r136013306.jpg

A man holds an explosive round which he claimed riot police fired upon anti-government demonstrators as they protested outside Parliament in Bangkok October 7, 2008.

REUTERS

PAD retreats to Govt House following clash

BANGKOK: -- People’s Alliance for Democracy supporters retreated to the Government House compound after they clashed with police in front of Metropolitan Police Bureau on Tuesday night.

The clash took place shortly before 8pm.

Police reportedly fired teargases at protesters, injuring tens of them. Four of the protesters were amputated.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-10-07

this is mildly entertaining!

Body bags float your boat huh?

of course. death is a universal human turn on. some of us just don't like to admit it. some of us claim to stare out the window at car crashes out of concern for the victims, not some sick morbid pleasure of the excitement caused from chaos.

Edited by lifeisrandom

Perhaps a solution to the problem is to give the protesters a job, then they wouldn't be able to sit on the streets all day and night, if they had to wake up at 6am to go to work.

And again...tell where to pick up the money...my wife is there every day but can't find where to pick up money.

It is simply a lie.

Confirmed also by my own wife's experience, when she was down there, two weeks ago.

It is simply a lie, one of many attempts to distort what is happening, like that the PAD have tanks, or that they are paid & armed professional ex-police/soldiers. Where do these stories come from ? :o

Well we know a lot people from Koh Samui, Phuket, Pattaya, Nakhon SiThammarat. They usually pay together for the bus and if someone has no money he can come for free. Food and drinks are there for free for everyone, usually the vegetarien food from Chamlong or donated food. Many areas cook together and also sell for very low prices (their self costs, which are often nothing if everything is donated). Today my wife wanted to bring nudels but it didn't happen. But no need to sleep on the streets, everything is full of donated tends. So yes you can stay there without spending any money and for sure you get gifts. If someone looks poor for example my wife buys some toys for the kids....It is a nice each other loving community, but not a "rent a mob". We have a lot namecards from business owners there and my staff met some of our customer there and that are all people who are wealthy enough....

Ah yes, I know that there are free transport for some people who wants to help but cant afford to go.

I've watched ASTV for quite a few time, and I've seen tons of donations from the people around, which shows nice 'arms-to-arms' demonstrations of people to hold hand with.

I for one, would love to have the chance to enter the Parliament area or where the PAD's are mobbing in Bangkok, it's probably a once in lifetime opportunity!

Still, after personally hearing from my friends who fully supported PAD and have no reasons to lie that they were being paid, I can only believe that some of the people are paid, while others came with a pure heart to purge Thaksin forever. :o

I (actually my wife) knows a lot people there and absolute no evidence of systematic payment. I know from business owner who come with their staff and the salary is of course still paid. When my wife goes she usually shares a Taxi with our staff and if she goes back to a different time, she gives them 500-1000 Baht to get a taxi back home, as she knows that they have absolute no money. The taxi would cost approx. 200 Baht. You can see that as paying. I can imagine that there are cases that a hard working guy want to go there, but he has a wife and 3 kids, so a richer guy tells "OK go, I take care of it and pay you the 500 Baht per day (even he might only earn 200 per day)". But there is no evidence that the PAD just hire people. All I know is a helping each other.

Do you know of one that looks like this one?

Which looks a lot more like what the policeman had.

r136013306.jpg

A man holds an explosive round which he claimed riot police fired upon anti-government demonstrators as they protested outside Parliament in Bangkok October 7, 2008.

REUTERS

His word against who's? I can only find PAD finger prints on it.

The police also claims that they have been shot but the PADs. OK, since when PAD have the legal right to keep fire arms, not to mention used it against other humans. :o:D:D

unrest_aw107.jpg

r1440190081.jpg

They and others were were just shown on Suvarnabhumi Channel on cable.

Hm, I'm never a gun expert, but it does looks like a shotgun, anyone can confirm it?

You are correct - you're "never a gun expert". I just saw the police fire one on the BBC news. So it's not a shotgun, it's a tear-gas grenade gun.

Next ridiculously OTT post, please. :o

Yours truly,

give me the phone number! My staff would love it, they earn less with me and like PAD.

Please PM me the phone number where they can apply for this job. Or a name, or is it top secret?

Or is it maybe just a lie?

It is simply a lie.

My wife says several people from a neighbouring village have just returned from several weeks paid protesting, the nearer the front the more you get paid. Money is kept under the rice containers!

They didn't want to get hurt and weren't really interested in the cause but the "money was too good to pass up"

I don't believe you.!

PAD suporters are assisted with a food and beverage provision - and other incidental expenditures can be accommodated by the movement -

What you're alleging - simply isn't true - no disrespect -