Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Front Of Parliament

george

........edit....

Is this guy a serious mob leader or just a clown sad at having lost his once fairly substantial and dangerous reputation?

As to whether he can get the numbers......edit...

Opposite of sane, for sure, but it looks like they just can't get the support, it's not a election rally, party thing, it's serious and since black Tuesday, people are a bit more thoughtful - I guess.

1000 people would mean at least 20 Busloads, logistics, accommodation and the movement of such a large group will be immediately detected and again, after Tuesday I don't think that there are enough people who would keep looking on, and certainly not enough who are keen enough to lose a limb, their life, or seeing blood being spillt again, Salang may simply got a slap on his hand by a phone call....

The Quantum-Mechanics of Thai Society and the social fabric are quite special in this regard, much happens behind closed doors, nobody is made to lose face, if so, it's self constructed!

In this regard one may look into the latest court case ... how long did he managed to get away with all the perpetration's while in office? h

He didn't step anymore on peoples feet, he started to trample on to them!

Even at coup time, when enough was enough... he was given a ticket, he had to come back, so he got another ticket... he may have 'overstretched things a bit' with some people by now!

So let's see, I would interpret not too much in reducing the time frame for amending the Constitution, it could very well be, that the powers to be know too well, that they haven't got 240 days... that's another angle why they could be speeding, and then, he who does things in haste, will make mistakes!

Besides the courts may decide to speed the proceedings in Somchais case... :o

Edited by Samuian

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One man's blaring propaganda,

is another man's truth to be silenced at all costs.

<etc>

Wall plaques are normally half-truths. You'd do better discussing things than to try and make great pronouncements like a guru on a hill. These wide 'great truths' only impress the gullible.

Dreams of the villagers bringing their maidens for your 'blessing'? :o

Red, if you quote me, quote the WHOLE line it says something different than what you imply.

One man's blaring propaganda,

is another man's truth to be silenced at all costs.

And a third man's lies to be silenced at all costs.

And the average somchai's background noise in life.

You ranted about propaganda being spewed, I commented on what that could mean.

<etc>

<etc> denoted the rest of the 'post', just as above... the reason being that the rest is rather disjointed and not very readable.

Ranted seems like a rather emotive word to use, my dear chap. I seldom rant. :D

When he's not climbing over fences to escape Parliament from PAD protesters, he's ducking and diving in parking lots to escape government-employee protesters... he's becoming quite an agile Prime Minister...

Thai prime minister flees raucous protesters

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP / 3 hours ago) — Thailand's prime minister was forced to flee one of his own government ministries Wednesday as protesters demanding his resignation taunted him, tossing sandals, and plastic bottles at his entourage.

Security officials hustled Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat though a mob of 100-200 demonstrators a day after a Thai court convicted the country's former leader, Thaksin Shinawatra, of violating a conflict of interest law when he was in office from 2001-2006.

Ousted by a 2006 military coup, Thaksin is reviled by protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy, who claim his administration was characterized by massive corruption and abuse of power.

The protesters regard Somchai, who is Thaksin's brother-in-law, as a mere puppet, and accuse him of trying to amend the constitution to help clear Thaksin, who fled to self-imposed exile in Britain before the court's decision.

Wednesday's confrontation started on the grounds of the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology, outside the headquarters of the state-owned telecom operator.

Somchai's motorcade detoured into an underground parking lot to avoid the crowd calling him a "murderer," referring to violence unleashed by a police crackdown on demonstrators on Oct. 7 which resulted in the death of two protesters.

Wednesday's demonstrators swarmed around Somchai in the parking lot, waving "clappers," plastic noisemakers shaped like oversized hands that have become a hallmark of their movement.

Many of the protesters appeared to work for the state phone company.

The employees of many state enterprises dislike Thaksin for his attempts at privatization.

After holding a meeting inside the building, Somchai — smiling tensely — was muscled by security personnel past an angry crowd and into a waiting vehicle, as protesters tossed rubber sandals, empty water bottles and clappers toward him.

Throwing shoes is particularly insulting in Thai culture, which considers feet the dirtiest part of the body.

Somchai, who took office last month, has been under growing pressure to resign to ease Thailand's deepening political crisis. He repeatedly rejected such calls, while leaving open the possibility he could change his mind in the future.

"Nobody stays in office forever," he said in response to a reporter's question. "I am considering the pros and cons of the situation if I quit."

Thaksin was sentenced Tuesday to two years in prison, but many Thais doubt he will ever serve time behind bars.

The protest alliance is making his extradition from Britain one of its main demands.

Thai prosecutors said Tuesday they "will speed up" their effort to extradite Thaksin, which has not yet been formally requested.

Thaksin told The Associated Press Tuesday he was confident he would be able to remain in Britain.

"I think I can stay here because this is (a) very mature democratic country," Thaksin said. "There is no way I will be extradited because the (Thai) court is a political court."

- Associated Press

Edited by sriracha john

Protesters throw shoes at Thai PM

Angry protesters have thrown shoes and bottles at Thailand's Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat. About 200 state employees surrounded his car outside the Information Ministry, and called him a murderer. Somchai is under pressure to resign over recent clashes between police and an anti-government group.

Protesters also say he is too close to former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, who was sentenced to two years in jail on Tuesday for violating corruption laws. Thai prosecutors have now begun to gather evidence to submit to the UK, where Thaksin currently lives in self-imposed exile, asking for his extradition.

Protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) have been camping outside Government House for two months now, calling for the government to be disbanded and a partly appointed administration put in its place.

The continuing demonstrations are virtually paralysing Somchai's administration. Repeated attempts to move the protesters have failed, and the government has been forced to operate from a disused airport.

The demonstrations began peacefully, but there were violent clashes between police and protesters earlier this month, and the country's army commander has backed calls for Somchai to step down to take responsibility for what happened. But Somchai has only been in his post for a month, and despite Wednesday's attack, he is standing firm.

"This morning was a bit colourful :o , but I have to work and I am not worried about these things - people can have different opinions," Somchai told the French news agency AFP.

"It would not be a problem for me to resign, but what will people get from my departure?... I cannot stop working otherwise government development projects would be halted."

On Tuesday Thailand's Supreme Court found Thaksin guilty of corruption and sentenced him to two years in jail in absentia. In a landmark ruling, he was found to have violated conflict of interest rules in helping his wife buy land from a state agency at a knock-down price.

Prosecutors are now gathering evidence to submit to the UK.

"The extradition process began today [Wednesday]," said Sirisak Tiyapan, international affairs director at the attorney general's office.

"All documents must be translated into English before we can prepare the petition and that will take considerable time," he told the AFP news agency.

"In our petition, we have to prove Thaksin committed a crime that is common between the two countries." After the ruling, the PAD said the court's decision had vindicated the protesters' actions.

"The verdict meant our campaign against Thaksin was right all along, which will bring more people to join our campaign now to bring him back home to serve his sentence," PAD leader Suriyasai Katasila told Reuters news agency.

- BBC / 2008-10-22

capt_c000f7260fbc42a188c8ad278111bb.jpg

Thailand's Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, center, is shielded by security guards after about 100 employees of state-owned telecom operator staged a protest against him at ICT Ministry in Bangkok, Thailand Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2008. A crowd of angry protesters threw shoes and plastic bottles at Somchai's entourage after cornering him in an underground parking lot Wednesday. He escaped unharmed.

Associated Press

Sally and Animatic

Sounds great, I'll bring Pims, you bring the grenades!

:o

Shame old Tony sold off the nice front lawn at the embassy. Tea party out on the pavement doesn't have quite the same ambience.

It would be nice if PAD can occupied that British Embassy just like they took over the PM office. The Hi-So can park their Benz BMW Volvo and do their shopping at Central. So much more convinient. Protestors can also arrive by BTS. You you know how difficult is it to convince taxi drivers to take me to PM office these days.

Somchai can offer part of Don Muang for a temporary British Embassy. Visa applicant can Q in the cool indoor comfort, not in the hot and dusty Wireless road anymore.

Unlike Port Stanley. I am sure the British would not send in the HMS InVINCIBLE here (or was it already sunk by French Exocet missile?). "We (the PAD) are just peacful protestors with no weapons." "If anyone of us are hurt, we will go and distribute CD Video of British kill Thai people in Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Sq, Oxford Street, Dowing Street, (in front of) Buckinham Place, and not to mention South Kensington".

Anyone think that is plan will work?

"Those who have supported the PPP may change their minds and switch to the opposite side," said Mr Surachai.

.......edit....

On the possibility that Thaksin would serve his time in jail, the TU lecturer said: "It is a criminal case. I don't think the British government would dare give political asylum for Mr Thaksin to stay in London."

.....edit....

The PPP is thought by many to be a proxy of the dissolved Thai Rak Thai party, founded by Thaksin. Critics believe Thaksin is behind the government's attempts to amend the coup-engineered charter to help him walk free.

Mr Surachai also expressed worry over the government's push to set up a new constitution-drafting committee. He urged the public to help monitor the selection of those who sit on the panel as he was afraid the government would exert its influence to amend articles in the charter to help Thaksin.

....edit........

"The only factor that can lead to political change is the people's full participation in the charter amendment process. Our country is highly diverse and input from all groups of people must be taken into account," said Mr Somkiat.

The academic was optimistic that the government would not be able to amend the charter in a way that helped Thaksin fight corruption charges against him because the public had closely monitored the government and become more involved in politics.

Source:

After all there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Seems Somchai's Electric visit was

Sabot Tages! :o:D

So at this point Salang is saying he is in league with a foreign power

to attack Thai citizens on Thai soil...??

DUH what an idiot.

Could it be Singapore? All I knew was that they have a bigger Air and Sea Force than Thailand. However their Army is much smaller than Thailand. Taking Thailand as a whole is quite impossible. However taking Phuket amid the chaos in Bangkok is quite possible, and have been suggested by Sonthi in 2006 already.

DUH what an idiot.

Could it be Singapore? All I knew was that they have a bigger Air and Sea Force than Thailand. However their Army is much smaller than Thailand. Taking Thailand as a whole is quite impossible. However taking Phuket amid the chaos in Bangkok is quite possible, and have been suggested by Sonthi in 2006 already.

I would take these statements about teaming up with a foreign power with oceans full of salt.

DUH what an idiot.

I would take these statements about teaming up with a foreign power with oceans full of salt.

:D Oh, my, what next ?!

Was this an omen ?

231008_front01.jpg

Heavy rain and gusts of wind batter the ‘Save the Nation’ religious ceremony at the Royal Plaza yesterday, damaging the stage. The ceremony was organised by former deputy police chief Salang Bunnag. — Chanat Katanyu. BKK Post.

DUH what an idiot.

A foreign power eh!.

Does this mean that they will be granted work permits then?

Could China be that foreign country maybe?

Might be strategically useful for China to have a vassal to the south with a coastline. They could also snatch a corridor of territory down between Laos and Myanmar, as there is no common border between Thailand and China.

Could China be that foreign country maybe?

Might be strategically useful for China to have a vassal to the south with a coastline. They could also snatch a corridor of territory down between Laos and Myanmar, as there is no common border between Thailand and China.

If you think that 50,000 protester and 2bn USD could start WW3, then as conspiracy/fantasy theories go it is a good one. A rogue getting help from a foreign country to move Thailand's politics is a fantasy. I reckon there are greater odds of this coming true, than finding pictures of Thaksin and Sondhi handcuffed together, covered in whipped cream being punished by a bunch of katoeys.

There is power and influence, but the Chinese govt getting involved in delivering Thailand back to Thaksin. Covert delivery of a country in South East Asia to another country's influence (China?/Singapore?)and the guy announces it beforehand? And the current army plus the US would do exactly what about that idea?

I can just imagine the secret services of various countries pulling out the old dusty file they had on the guy and trying to work out who the hel_l he is. After wasting their time for 30 minutes they probably out they have probably found out that the only person he has regular contact with is his somtaam lady, mia noi and his second mia noi.

I reckon there are greater odds of this coming true, than finding pictures of Thaksin and Sondhi handcuffed together, covered in whipped cream being punished by a bunch of katoeys. i.

So, you've seen the photos :o ! Or were you one of the Katoeys :D:D ?

I reckon there are greater odds of this coming true, than finding pictures of Thaksin and Sondhi handcuffed together, covered in whipped cream being punished by a bunch of katoeys. i.

So, you've seen the photos :( ! Or were you one of the Katoeys :D:P ?

I caught that one too. :D :D :D :D

Whipped Cream and Other Dements.

With spanish trumpets blarring too.

:o

As and vignette image, it does have a certain je ne sai qua appeal to it ROTFLOL.

The only FRIENDLY could be Hun Sen, helping his buddy out...

Stranger things have happenbed in... the orient!

Edited by animatic

Who can say with confidence that foreign powers are not taking an interest in Thailand. China has influence over the border in Myanmar.

Thailand is now a quasi-failed state, and could be on its way to becoming an actual failed state, given the battle between Government and Freedom Fighters.

The country is also battling Islamic extremism to the south. If an enterprising wannabe leader asked the US to help him consolidate power in return for US bases on the coastline, could be a deal worth listening to.

Just as man has poplulated earth, and now looking for Mars. Singapore is so over populated that they have to look for a new piece of land. Thailand would be in ideal target. Malaysia & Indonesia has too much Muslim. All other asean countries are too under developed for their liking.

(Did you know that the market caps for the Singapore stock market is 10 times more that the Thais).

I wouldnt get overly conspiratorial about what Salang says. Half of it is for effect. If he is getting arms from some foreign power it is probably by the old tried and tested means of money for guns rather than some weird intrigue. By the way the Thailand-Cambodia border or the Thailand-Burma borders have seen guns move around before. It is probably no different now. It wasnt that long ago when the KMT had a whole army charging around the golden triangle ignoring niceties like borders too :o

The critical thing here is probably that Salang and Sae Daeng are mobilising and training a group of people, and want the other side and everyone in Thailand to know it. Saying you are backed by a foreign power is probably not for publuic consumption as that will upset Thais but more aimed at worrying the military and it may just be misinformation or disinformation too. There are enough weapons in Thailand under the control of Thaksin supporters in the Police and bits of the military if the truth be known.

Just as man has poplulated earth, and now looking for Mars. Singapore is so over populated that they have to look for a new piece of land. Thailand would be in ideal target. Malaysia & Indonesia has too much Muslim. All other asean countries are too under developed for their liking.

(Did you know that the market caps for the Singapore stock market is 10 times more that the Thais).

I have been to Singapore several times never ONCE got the sense of over crowding

and bursting at the seams.

Malaysia is to convulsed with domestic issues for the moment to bother.

Myanmar has a China component, but where here doesn't?

They are also mad natiionalists like Salang's long standing enemies

Only the unscrupulous like Thaksin and Samak warmed to those generals.

Laos possibly, they are China cenctric and in some ways on the same page with

Thailand over refugees. But the leaders don't seem to like each other over Thailands,

long standing anti-communist purges.

Nam too far away except by sea.

Hun Sen is actually in bed with many Thais in business, and likely oil dealswith Thaksin too,

HE if any neighbor could have a profit motive to stir the pot to help his partners.

While noises of war distract in one corner, 30k baht greases a different door.

Here's your toys kiddies. He certianly is unscrupulousd enough also...

All supposition of course. Salang could be just blather too.

I note that today interior minister Kowit has given his tacit blessing to Salangs surround plan by saying that of course it wont lead to violence and that they are doing their best to bring national harmony or something. It looks like the government will no longer muzzle their street forces in what is breaking out into open warfare. Nobody it seems is now willing to stop any of the street mobs from going about whatever they are going about.

^Agreed, the Freedom Fighters have succeeded to the extent that if any of them get hurt, whilst roaming the street at whatever grubby hour, they can cry 'foul'

And yet looking at the Luxury Property supplement of today's South China Morning Post, the glossy article says that Bangkok property is up up up. THB 400,000 per square metre for 185 Rajdamri development.

Plenty of quotes from local estate agents substantiating this viewpoint of unalleviated Thailand success !

I note that today interior minister Kowit has given his tacit blessing to Salangs surround plan by saying that of course it wont lead to violence and that they are doing their best to bring national harmony or something. It looks like the government will no longer muzzle their street forces in what is breaking out into open warfare. Nobody it seems is now willing to stop any of the street mobs from going about whatever they are going about.

Yes ... also these:

Bloodshed might be inevitable: Chamlong

By The Nation

People’s Alliance for Democracy leader Chamlong Srimuang told the crowds on Friday at Government House he feared it was unavoidable for blood to be spilled.

Chamlong predicted his speech may be the last one or next before last since the outbreak of violence is looming.

c'td at http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/10/24...cs_30086783.php

and

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Suchart Muenkaew said Friday that police would be able to control the situation on Saturday when former deputy police chief threatened to lead government supporters to besiege the Government House.

Suchart said if an untoward incident happens, he would increase the number of police on duty from 8 companies to 17 companies and might seek reinforcements from soldiers.

But, he said, police did not expect any violence on that day.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30086781 Edited by sylviex

By The Nation

People's Alliance for Democracy leader Chamlong Srimuang told the crowds on Friday at Government House he feared it was unavoidable for blood to be spilled.

...hopefully he will be making sure his own blood is well-removed from any corpuscles located in a region of possible spillage.

I note that today interior minister Kowit has given his tacit blessing to Salangs.......

It looks like the government will no longer muzzle their street forces in what is breaking out into open warfare.

Nobody it seems is now willing to stop any of the street mobs from going about whatever they are going about.

Yes ... also these:

By The Nation

Chamlong predicted his speech may be the last one or next before last since the outbreak of violence is looming.

c'td at http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/10/24...cs_30086783.php

and

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Suchart Muenkaew said Friday that police would be able to control the

situation on Saturday ............

Suchart said if an untoward incident happens....

he would increase the number of police on duty from 8 companies to 17 companies

and might seek reinforcements from soldiers.

But, he said, police did not expect any violence on that day.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30086781

Well lets see:

Chamlong thinks his life is being targeted.

The police will wait until AFTER violence breaks out to reinforce...

But they are in control....

they won't stop it BEFORE it breaks out but can cntrol it after it does...

And most ominous they could call out military... question is

Through the top brass and channels....

or through friends of Thaksin calling for 'emergency help' and

Thaksin placed subordinate officers go out fast ,

and say WE HAD TO later. Or .....

don't need to apologize to their commanders anymore.

But later may be;

a ) too late

b ) when they have control of strategic places.

Is this to be the call for a coup WITHIN the army???

Salang vows not to join anti-PAD protest

(BangkokPost.com) – Pol Gen Salang Bunnag, who has retired from police service, said he will not lead a group of officers to surround the Government House, which has been occupied by supporters of People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) Saturday as planned.

He also said that his people will not join an anti-PAD rally to be held at Sanam Luang in the evening.

Pol Gen Salang insisted that he has no intention to harm the country, but cannot let the PAD occupy the Government House any longer.

He said he the plan to seize back the Government House has not been cancelled, but he cannot say when it will take place because it is part of his strategy.

Pol Gen Salang said earlier that he would seal off the Government House to starve off the protesters, who would be denied supplies of food and water for three days.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131626

Salang vows not to join anti-PAD protest

(BangkokPost.com) – Pol Gen Salang Bunnag, who has retired from police service, said he will not lead a group of officers to surround the Government House, which has been occupied by supporters of People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) Saturday as planned.

He also said that his people will not join an anti-PAD rally to be held at Sanam Luang in the evening.

Pol Gen Salang insisted that he has no intention to harm the country, but cannot let the PAD occupy the Government House any longer.

He said he the plan to seize back the Government House has not been cancelled, but he cannot say when it will take place because it is part of his strategy.

Pol Gen Salang said earlier that he would seal off the Government House to starve off the protesters, who would be denied supplies of food and water for three days.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131626

Reversal number 2 ....

First was Wed's attack ... now Sat's blockade. This guy (thankfully) is losing credibility quickly!