Where Can I Buy Live Bugs In Bulk?

seobangkok

Hi all,

I have a great chairty idea and needs live bugs, the sort you see that are deep fried street sellers sell.

I need enough to fill half a bathtub - so were talking sacks of them.

I'm based in Bangkok so around this area would be ideal.

If anyone knows where I can buy them in bulk, or where I could start to hunt them down - please let me know.

Many thanks.

Bug breeding is (in my limited experiance) small scale back room industry, you need a little veg/rice some plant stems and plastic bins with covers. Generally the bugs get so fat they don't fly off, I think they sell for about +200 Baht a kilo wholesale. I would guess that 1/2 a bath would be about 40 Litres, guessing that with some spares you need about 4,000 Baht of bugs?

Discuss with a fried bug seller - they will be happy to sell live to a farang - just watch what rate you pay, they will aim to sell at a retail rate. Some bugs will be cheaper than others, don't forget that the person (?) would be sitting in what some Thais consider as food, use cockroaches and they could be free!

....where I could start to hunt them down
Under rotten logs in the forest?

I'm just wondering where you will be able to borrow a bath? Not that common an item laying around - A little expensive to buy for a one off event - I would suggest you use an inflatable children's paddling pool, 300 Baht.

Jump in a car - drive down to Pattaya and do it as a World Record attempt as a tie in with Ripley's at Royal Garden, get local TV to cover the event then seek donations from TV companies that carry the news story.

HTH.

Bug breeding is (in my limited experiance) small scale back room industry, you need a little veg/rice some plant stems and plastic bins with covers. Generally the bugs get so fat they don't fly off, I think they sell for about +200 Baht a kilo wholesale. I would guess that 1/2 a bath would be about 40 Litres, guessing that with some spares you need about 4,000 Baht of bugs?

Discuss with a fried bug seller - they will be happy to sell live to a farang - just watch what rate you pay, they will aim to sell at a retail rate. Some bugs will be cheaper than others, don't forget that the person (?) would be sitting in what some Thais consider as food, use cockroaches and they could be free!

....where I could start to hunt them down
Under rotten logs in the forest?

I'm just wondering where you will be able to borrow a bath? Not that common an item laying around - A little expensive to buy for a one off event - I would suggest you use an inflatable children's paddling pool, 300 Baht.

Jump in a car - drive down to Pattaya and do it as a World Record attempt as a tie in with Ripley's at Royal Garden, get local TV to cover the event then seek donations from TV companies that carry the news story.

HTH.

And when you are finished with the record attempt, get them fried up and sell them...even more money..

Thanks for the replies.

I already have a route to drum up donations - online, so all is needed in a photo and some video footage of the event. I will be using my bath at home, so no problems there.

I guess the next thing to do is approach a guy selling them and ask if he can sort me out a few big bags of live ones - Can't wait to see his face when I ask!