Pattaya Clean Up Started

monty

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok the truth is that sometimes bar mongers and other tourists get drunk and act like real tossers. But in the main, probably 98% of us are a little loud sometimes but we are just having fun. Can we agree on that?

In the news except for the occasional farang pedophile or drug buyer its tourist on m/b loses gold chain in snatch, expat gets pocket picked on baht bus, local shoots local (almost daily now!), elderly man drugged and robbed! Many of these thugs are not apprehended.

So the point is police resources are not being used in the best way if all they are doing is driving around scaring the crap out of BG's who are just trying to make a buck by having a friendly BM over for ST! It would be much better if the police had several teams in plain clothes who would work around town to target trouble spots and maybe nab more of those thugs. That would be a good use of resources. :o

I had somebody at that meeting as well.

It is not really alcohol related (yet).

They are actually planning (and started) to enforce the opening times all the different operating licenses allow.

The 6 PM opening is for bars holding "entertainment" licenses. Those licenses clearly state operating times to be from 6 PM till 2 AM. Let your Thai staff take a look, it is actually written on the license!

There are a bunch of other licenses, such as the guesthouse license, hotel license, restaurant license, massage parlor license, all allowing different operating times, not only based on the type of license, but also on the location of the business, i.e. inside or outside the designated "entertainment" zone.

It is actually possible to hold several licenses simultaneously, e.g. restaurant along with entertainment, allowing for all day operation. Only the hostesses (which necessitate having the entertainment license) are only allowed to work starting 6 PM...

Then entirely separate from the operating licenses you have the alcohol selling time law, which allows business to sell alcohol between 11 AM and 2 PM and between 5 PM and 11 PM. Entertainment licenses are allowed to sell alcohol up to closing time.

This law they are not (yet) enforcing, since it would seriously affect the restaurant business, although for example 7/11's tend to follow the law strictly as they have been fined heavily already.

Restaurant license holders have to close (I think) at 11 PM anyway!

Monty, great post and very informative.

I think that these laws may possibly be borrowed, very much like the old English licensing laws and if so it used to be legal to order drinks for oneself and guests 24 hours a day in a hotel.

i.e. would it be possible to hold both a hotel (guest house) and an entertainment licence, so for serving alcohol in the afternoon you would have to register as a (short time) guest.

BB

Monty, great post and very informative.

I think that these laws may possibly be borrowed, very much like the old English licensing laws and if so it used to be legal to order drinks for oneself and guests 24 hours a day in a hotel.

i.e. would it be possible to hold both a hotel (guest house) and an entertainment licence, so for serving alcohol in the afternoon you would have to register as a (short time) guest.

BB

I actually heard the same, but I'm not sure it applies to Thailand (i.e. the serving of drinks to registered hotel guests 24/7), and unfortunately it is nigh impossible to get straight answers from the local officialdom!

It's already difficult to get the exact operating times for the different kind of license!

Monty, will this "clean up" also apply to bars etc on the Darkside?

The Mabprachan lake area is not part of Pattaya City,and as far as I am aware, is controlled by different police - Banglamung, as opposed to Pattaya.

Or is this being applied to whole of Chon Buri - maybe from the Governor's office?

Monty, will this "clean up" also apply to bars etc on the Darkside?

The Mabprachan lake area is not part of Pattaya City,and as far as I am aware, is controlled by different police - Banglamung, as opposed to Pattaya.

Or is this being applied to whole of Chon Buri - maybe from the Governor's office?

Wish I knew!

At least we can always open afternoons as non of us on the Darkside operate under the entertainment license (unobtainable outside the designated entertainment zone).

Worst thing for us would be that they start enforcing the alcohol selling times :o

We're already stuck with midnight closing...

well, my cahier has just come back again from a meeting in soi 6 and today is saying all pattaya not just soi 6, must not open till 6pm!

so still no clearer, just phoned bertie whos gone on a recon see if he can make it any more understandable.

so they cant turn all bars off in thailand till 6pm at night, surely, so some will have to open, then will it be bars serving food? or accomadation? or open bars or closed bars or air con bars or non aircon or non smoking bars, bars with "you" in the name?????

see what tommorow brings!

Most of the girls are now ouside the back doors!! Soi 6/1

be careful of those girls at the back or you might get a little surprise....................

Not the ones I am looking at!

I had somebody at that meeting as well.

It is not really alcohol related (yet).

They are actually planning (and started) to enforce the opening times all the different operating licenses allow.

The 6 PM opening is for bars holding "entertainment" licenses. Those licenses clearly state operating times to be from 6 PM till 2 AM. Let your Thai staff take a look, it is actually written on the license!

Thanks monty, that was the clearest explanation I have seen anywhere so far.

I hope they will now start 'forcing' the Walking Street GoGo bars to open at the designated hour of 6:00 PM, instead of waiting until maybe 8:00 PM as most of them do? :o We could end up with 4-hour long Happy Hours! :D

Every cloud... :D

A few days have passed now, what is the situation on Soi 6,as of Friday 10th October?

Yep, several check ups by the BIB along with the 30,000 Baht fine/30 day closure threat is keepng things awfully quit.

If they keep it up it'll result in several jobs lost, mainly cashiers, no sense having 2 shifts for 8 hours of operating...

In the last 20 years we have seen these restrictions come and go.

And this will as well. Let your livers and pockets take a rest. failing that stock your fridge up, that'll teach them hey!!!!!!!!!

if ya need a girl........... well just walk outside your hotel, and kep smiling at the girls........ sorted in less than 3 minutes. you dont need soi6 or any others b4 6pm do you??????????

Could be worse though.

"Beach bars demolished in tourism revamp"

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnough...E49878020081010

The Paradise Bar was the first bar I had a beer in Freetown when I came in on the chopper from the airport in 2000. Now it's gone.

The TQ was the first bar I had a beer in Pattaya when I came in from Saudi in 1978.

Are we paying attention here?

Edited by NanLaew

I've always gone overboard on licenses because they cost next to nothing and give you some greater flexibility but as Monty said, it is nigh on impossible to get a straightforward explanation of anything official from those who really just want to fine you for some infringement of a previously unknown rule.

Not sure why they have to close though ? Get a bar license (should have already) and open as a bar from whenever. It's the sex onsite which is the problem.