The Humble Kitchen Drawer...

Cuban

Based solely on the fact that I'm not busy today, I have been sitting here pondering the subject of the research and development behind the auto soft closing system that new kitchen furniture suppliers promote these days. Nice idea, no more shove and bang when the drawer hits the counter top - surely an idea inspired by the number of DVD and CD player drawers that automatically close with the gentle pressure of a finger tip. I would guess the next step could only be a soft purr or Star Trek type hiss as the drawer's outline disappears into the clinical smooth wall of kitchen technology.

The average kitchen has two or three drawers, one contains knives, forks, spoons etc. But the others?

In my case, unused plastic spoons that are supplied with four packs of yogurt, more pizza - burger and KFC menus then it takes to feed a hungry nerd convention. A large claw hammer, 'spare' plastic bags, things for killing bugs, string (short unuseful lengths), a large selection of red rubber bands retained from Thai take out food bags. Spare chopsticks. Instruction manuals in Thai, Korean and Hindi for the most simple to use domestic appliances (rice cooker) and a receipe book for "Interesting Rice Meals" that explains 45 times how to measure rice and water. A small white plastic thing that looks like it might be important one day but it's use will only become apparent 10 hours after it has been collected with the other plastic recycling collection. Some small screws for something to be wall-mounted and finally one slightly rusty promotional beer bottle opener, this being the spare as the primary beer bottle opener is free from rust and held ready for action by the fridge.

It is reassuring to know that the out of date menus and decayed red rubber bands are stored in high tech soft close drawers, not just in Thailand but around the world.