Blue Sky Bar's Dinner Menu

Chuckler

Last month FarangCravings was quite positive in his review of Blue Sky Bar's dinner menu - particularly the Full Monty burger:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Burger-Thread-t212080.html

This is Thailand, however, and what's true last month is not always true this month.

Tonight I ate the Full Monty burger at the Blue Sky Bar and it was awful. The only reason I can think of that they toasted the roll that hard was because it was stale to begin with. Also, the roll was burnt on the bottom.

The meat patty was delicious though, about 1/2 inch thick, pink in the middle.

It was hard to taste anything apart from the roll though. It was only an average sized burger, and this is because the roll was toasted to the point of brittleness, it made a good %age of burger's height.

Despite all burgers being billed on the menu as "served with french fries", it was not.

So, unimpressive. At 155 baht, plus 30 baht pop for 2x cokes, I won't be going back. Last month it was the dog's <deleted> apparently, this month it's just <deleted>.

I'm afraid that I suspected this. From what I know of the Blue Sky Bar, it just doesn't seem like a gourmet food paradise. :o

next time don't keep it a secret :D

I must admit that every time I try somewhere that's not Duke's I get disappointed. Even sometimes Duke's isn't perfect, but rarely. I've seen elsewhere that you're a fan of the ribs at Salsa Kitchen. Any other recommendations?

We tend to forget that almost every Italian owned restaurant in town is good. I usually eat at one of Stephanos places, but Sergios and Georgios are excellent.

The current Sunday buffet at the the Holiday Inn is FANTASTIC - well worth 550 baht (less with free discount card), I would guess that the same buffet would be 1,500 in Bangkok.

Breakfast at the Rose Guest House, Art Cafe, Bake and Bite, Mad Dog Pizza.

Ah yes, the Blue Sky Bar. I have fond memories of the original in the Bar-barian Centre at the rear of the old Domino's, now the Gate House, in the days before Nu's partner, Rudi was executed by his business associates back in Munich.

We used to have lots of fun and punch ups there in the early 90's. Also remember the night a few drunken members of the US DEA started waving their guns around and threatening a few folks.....in particular, Canadian Joe who did the commentary of the Muay Thai bouts.

Never had a hamburger in the old joint, and haven't visited the present BSB in many years, sure wouldn't go there looking for a feed anyway.

Ah yes, the Blue Sky Bar. I have fond memories of the original in the Bar-barian Centre at the rear of the old Domino's, now the Gate House, in the days before Nu's partner, Rudi was executed by his business associates back in Munich.

We used to have lots of fun and punch ups there in the early 90's. Also remember the night a few drunken members of the US DEA started waving their guns around and threatening a few folks.....in particular, Canadian Joe who did the commentary of the Muay Thai bouts.

Never had a hamburger in the old joint, and haven't visited the present BSB in many years, sure wouldn't go there looking for a feed anyway.

There was a Blue Sky nightclub in 1966-1967. Any "relationship"?

There was a Blue Sky nightclub in 1966-1967. Any "relationship"?

No relationship.

Last month it was the dog's <deleted> apparently, this month it's just <deleted>.

:o

I'll be giving it a miss, then.

I thought the Blus Sky Gardens was demolished a couple of years back. Used to be located along the one-way road heading out of the old city that ended opposite Loi Kroh. Many of the town's farang alcoholic and drug addicted population used it.

Last month it was the dog's <deleted> apparently, this month it's just <deleted>.

I'll be giving it a miss, then.

I thought the Blus Sky Gardens was demolished a couple of years back. Used to be located along the one-way road heading out of the old city that ended opposite Loi Kroh. Many of the town's farang alcoholic and drug addicted population used it.

It has moved a number of times that I know of since then.

Last month FarangCravings was quite positive in his review of Blue Sky Bar's dinner menu - particularly the Full Monty burger:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Burger-Thread-t212080.html

This is Thailand, however, and what's true last month is not always true this month.

Tonight I ate the Full Monty burger at the Blue Sky Bar and it was awful. The only reason I can think of that they toasted the roll that hard was because it was stale to begin with. Also, the roll was burnt on the bottom.

The meat patty was delicious though, about 1/2 inch thick, pink in the middle.

It was hard to taste anything apart from the roll though. It was only an average sized burger, and this is because the roll was toasted to the point of brittleness, it made a good %age of burger's height.

Despite all burgers being billed on the menu as "served with french fries", it was not.

So, unimpressive. At 155 baht, plus 30 baht pop for 2x cokes, I won't be going back. Last month it was the dog's <deleted> apparently, this month it's just <deleted>.

Now come on guys NEVER did I mention its was a full service restaurant nor that it was Gourmet I beleive I used the word FOOD SERVICE and posted about a burger which I stand by was the best I had (even better than DUKES, now even the OP said the burger was excellent and his complaint was the Bun ONLY not to mention the missing french fries (I wonder why he did not ask where they were)

I would of complained and had them replace it plus asked for my fries, its a new place and obviously working out the kinks as we all know who do business here things can and do slip through the cracks even though you are doing your best to get it right.

The place is a food service joint and not a place you would go out to eat looking for a sit down gourmet meal its Bar food and I stand by my O post

I been offline as moved house and having the ususal transfer of internet sevice problems but next time I am in BSKY I will let them know the story and i am sure they will wonder why the OP did not allow them to correct the situation FIRST by complaining rather than slagging them down on a forum without first giving them the oportunity to make it right.

would you not agree ??? you said yourself the meat patty was delicious

Good old times

The DEA got upset because the management was having groups of blind children Thai Box each other on stage in Bar Beer Center while the crowd laughed at them. A few tumbled off stage and he considered that degrading.

If I remember correctly, the DEA agent actually fired his gun to stop the action and had to be flown home the next day.

The DEA got upset because the management was having groups of blind children Thai Box each other on stage in Bar Beer Center while the crowd laughed at them. A few tumbled off stage and he considered that degrading.

If I remember correctly, the DEA agent actually fired his gun to stop the action and had to be flown home the next day.

Not quite right there Ewe Gee. The shot was never fired and it wasn't about blind kids boxing each other.

I was there, all it was, was a couple of fukwit drunken DEA agents prancing about with their shoulders holsters and big shooters therein, thinking they were a bit more important than the rest of the imbibers there. One of the idiots decided that Joe, Canadian Joe, doing the commentary was the target and stuck his shooter in Joe's nose threatening to blow him away. The jerk was on a flight back home within the week.

Ahh, how I miss the good old daze.

Was that the infamous night that the less jolly proprietor of Dominoes did a Pee Wee Herman in full view while all and sundry in the boxing audience looked on? :o

No comment apart from the fact that DW is black listed with immigration in Thailand and now lives in China. He is in the land of the fairy's. Spends most days sending inane emails to anyone whose email address he has.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Blue Sky bar last night for a pool competition and I tried one of the burgers. It was great, and I took a moment to speak the the owner about what has been said.

The explanation was that they had a new chef start on the day that chuckler mentioned. It was the first burger that she had cooked and she messed it up. He assured me that his buns are bought fresh daily from the UN Irish pub and that it was simply a mistake. The burgers are good and the bar has changed a lot from the old blue sky we know.

Give it a try, If the burgers are the way they was last night I assure you that you wont be disappointed.

We tend to forget that almost every Italian owned restaurant in town is good. I usually eat at one of Stephanos places, but Sergios and Georgios are excellent.

The current Sunday buffet at the the Holiday Inn is FANTASTIC - well worth 550 baht (less with free discount card), I would guess that the same buffet would be 1,500 in Bangkok.

Breakfast at the Rose Guest House, Art Cafe, Bake and Bite, Mad Dog Pizza.

Agree re the Italians and thanks for the Hol Inn tip off. Newcomers should be aware that throughout its colourful history (Westin/Sheraton etc) this hotel has always tended to have an above average buffet, possibly better than most Holiday Inns around the world. The latest GM is a very friendly Kiwi who will always listen carefully and chat.

Re breakfasts (and this info is 6 months old) I helped a newcomer to research many "full English" offerings.

We found that Half Moon Pub (amusingly right at the back of Mad Dog) was marginally better. And they had the clever idea of serving the fried bread on top of the toast to keep the latter warmer longer!

Remember when they used to have the "Sadist Nights" in the BBC? Right at the far side and ringside is where I met my first one and only true love for that month, at a place called "The Escape" . Pre the old Eddy we all know and love. I seem to remember the old owner who sold out and at the 30 day mark and collecting the final monies, got into the ring with someone to settle some unfinished business.. One thing or another he got thrown out of the ring and broke his leg.

I ran across him in Phuket some years later had a place that I heard got wiped in the Tsunami

Seems like his name was Shakleton of Shackleford or something like that . Somewhere around early 90's , maybe 91.

Man where does time go....

I went to the Blue Sky bar last night for a pool competition and I tried one of the burgers. It was great, and I took a moment to speak the the owner about what has been said.

The explanation was that they had a new chef start on the day that chuckler mentioned. It was the first burger that she had cooked and she messed it up. He assured me that his buns are bought fresh daily from the UN Irish pub and that it was simply a mistake. The burgers are good and the bar has changed a lot from the old blue sky we know.

Give it a try, If the burgers are the way they was last night I assure you that you wont be disappointed.

Interesting ... perhaps I'll try it again and report back.