Chiang Mai To Tak

makavelli

Hi everyone,

Next summer myself and my wife are going to spend a few days in Chiang Mai then head down to Tak to visit some of her family. My question is, how long will it take to get to Tak from Chiang Mai and which mode of transport is best to use?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Next summer myself and my wife are going to spend a few days in Chiang Mai then head down to Tak to visit some of her family. My question is, how long will it take to get to Tak from Chiang Mai and which mode of transport is best to use?

You can get a bus from the Chiang Mai "Arcade" bus terminal (the main one for buses out of Chiang Mai province) to Tak. Many buses to points further down will also stop in Tak.

That's about it for options I suppose.. One-way car rental I don't think is available for Tak. (Well, I'm sure if you pay enough you can get anything arranged, so I suppose a car + driver would work as well)

In terms of time (and I have done this journey many times by car) its around 2.5-3 hours drive, depending on driving conditions.

I suppose you can add an hour and a half extra for the bus

I followed one of those double-decker buses most of the way from Tak to Chiang Mai one night - and had trouble keeping up with it. They move fast!

Hi

I lived for 6 months in Mae Sot, travelling frequently from Tak to CM and back. Generally it took me about 3 hours, not very busy road, in that time I have a big bike and stopped for gas in Thoen. Be adviced if you plan to go with car or motocycle, fill the gas either in Thoen, Tak, Lampang or CM as there are no gas stations for long distances :o

Best advice, take VIP bus.. They stop frequently for refreshments :D

@ Steve: they sure are fast !! On some parts they took over me when I was drivin a 600 cc big bike !

Edited by Bates